Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 10:03   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post

I see few here vouching for XUV? XUV also does not have low gear. Is the build quality better than Korean Cars?

Thanks all for their feedback.
Not really. A Santa Fe would be better than XUV if you decide not to go with GV.
Since its used market, have you looked at 1998-2004 model Toyota Land Cruisers?
Old 12th September 2014, 10:37   #32
BHPian

@tsk,

Used Land cruiser 1998-2004 is much more expensive than what I am looking at. I know a used land cruiser 1998-2004 would be superior in all aspects against all the vehicles I have had a look.

A year back, I hired a used LC 1996 for 1 month but in middle of the tour, we had some differences with the driver and we had to change vehicle, and we hired a Scorpio for last 15 days.

The LC would glide in offroads and the Scorpio would bounce on the undulations of the tarmac. I was deeply shocked and disappointed with relatively newer scorpio.

Last edited by nepalken : 12th September 2014 at 10:41.
Old 12th September 2014, 23:38   #33
BHPian

Sudev & Samurai,

Are the GV spares available off the shelf at the Maruti guys ? Do you foresee availability crisis in years to come since its discontinued. Used GV is on my mind given the low mileage i'm doing these days and the margin between price of the petrol-diesel is getting slimmer.

A little delay in some rare to go wrong parts is ok to live with. Fiat and skoda have taught me how to be patient.
Old 13th September 2014, 00:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

Since GVs are rare, nobody keeps inventory for it in the workshop. But it is usually available in a week if you order. Nepalken is using his 1st gen 1995 Vitara even now and he doesn't seem to be complaining about parts.
Old 13th September 2014, 01:38   #35

This is biased -- I bought a second hand GV just 2 months ago. 2008 AT. It is simply amazing and has a pedigree associated with it.
Have I driven in Nepal - ?? Not driven but ridden my bullet. We went for a bike trip this year itself. And yes, saw a UN land cruiser where we stayed. So Simply, Go with the GV.
Old 13th September 2014, 13:16   #36
BHPian

I would most certainly recommend a Storme. I have 2 and both have covered approximately 20k kms without any problems. Covered under the Gold AMC (availability in Nepal?), i have not paid a single rupee for service thus far and also have driven from Delhi to Aurangabad in a single stretch without any problems. My ownership report goes on soon but in the meanwhile heres a teaser of how the one I'm driving today looks like... (with a lift kit, bigger tyres and a wrap)
Attached Thumbnails
Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-20140913_123855_1.jpg  

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-20140913_123838_1.jpg  

mkaysaw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 14:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaysaw View Post
My ownership report goes on soon but in the meanwhile heres a teaser of how the one I'm driving today looks like... (with a lift kit, bigger tyres and a wrap)
Did you get it matt painted?
Old 13th September 2014, 15:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Did you get it matt painted?
No. Its a matte black vinyl wrap.
mkaysaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 15:37   #39
Team-BHP Support

That Storme is on its knees begging for alloy wheels.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 21:45   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since GVs are rare, nobody keeps inventory for it in the workshop. But it is usually available in a week if you order. Nepalken is using his 1st gen 1995 Vitara even now and he doesn't seem to be complaining about parts.
Same here. For Tata Safari parts too I have to wait a week. Since nobody keeps 4x4 parts in the inventory.
Old 14th September 2014, 00:51   #41
BHPian

Nepalken -

I do not know if you'll find this helpful. I recently bought an used 2007 2.0 AT GV for what many would term as an unreasonably high price. The car had approx. 47k on the odo. I did not do my homework before buying and perhaps missed on a sweeter deal. Frankly I do not have much knowledge about vehicles except of driving them. I always liked this car, buying it was like a dream come true, hence the excitement at the time. It was maintained well, belonged to a neighbor hence had actually seen him take care of it. I have driven it approx. 2000 kms since purchase and i can absolutely couch for the superior comfort while driving and the quality of is build. My family really likes it and apart from a minor scratch on the body here and there, there's nothing i could really complain about. I haven't driven a xuv500 however if i have to make that choice again, I will go for GV again anytime. But that's just me.
Old 14th September 2014, 11:16   #42
BHPian

Nepalken-

I was going through your previous posts on this thread whet you mentioned it would take INR 500 per day to use an Indian registered vehicle in Nepal. If that's indeed the case, math of it may work out to be in your advantage. Of course I may be totally wrong here, but thought to write about this anyway.

Buy used GV in India = Rs. 700,000 (very conservative estimate, you can get good vehicles in the 6 lac range)
Permission in Nepal = (500×365x10) 18,25,000

now the total cost comes to approx. 25,00,000 over 10 years of usage.

In addition to the above you save on the days when you are not in Nepal and do not have to pay the fee. Plus you don't have to shell out his amount of money upfront. The pay per use model had got its own benefits. Sort of capex vs opex debate. Of course I may be totally wrong here.
rattanw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 12:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
In addition to the above you save on the days when you are not in Nepal and do not have to pay the fee. Plus you don't have to shell out his amount of money upfront. The pay per use model had got its own benefits. Sort of capex vs opex debate. Of course I may be totally wrong here.
That is very out of box thinking, I like it.

But, they may have restrictions on number of days, citizenship status, etc. If not, many would have taken up this option. I find it really strange that a country without any local car makers is levying so much tax. What domestic market are they protecting?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:43   #44
BHPian

some months back i had the same confusion i had to choose between a Grand Vitara , Safari and Scorpio, after the comparison and also sort of ownership calculations i bought the vitara even though its a petrol i still find the ownership cost to be lower ,

my family loving it from the time i have bought i have done enough long drives on good and bad roads..Highway its super smooth with a decent mileage of 14/15 kmpl ( with 2 Person and kid on board)
Old 14th September 2014, 18:23   #45
BHPian

I am using a Grand Vitara 2008 model for last 6 yrs. The reading on the ODO is 141000+ Kms and I did not have any major issues except for break shoe and wiper blades replacement, issues with exhaust pipe clamp. Sometimes the parts are not available and it takes service station about 1 week to procure them.

Overall very happy with the exemplary service and track record of Vitara.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks