Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2014, 15:16   #91
BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I saw it on Carwale I think. You could check it out as I am currently typing from a mobile. But do you think that price is justified. There are lots of 2.0 in Mumbai at around 4 to 5 lakhs. MT and AT.
I just did, nothing current, seems I am out of luck yet again. I think the price is negotiable, and could probably be gotten down to 7-8 from what I've been told by dealers in Bombay.
But yes, 2.4s are very rare for some reason.
Fingers crossed on finding one.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Any idea from GV owners on how much FE a 2.0 AT would give plus how much power loss one would expect compared to the 2.0 MT. I believe the 2.0 MT gives around 8 - 10 kmpl so assuming the AT should give around 6 - 8kmpl. Asking price for 2007 - 2008, 2 owner vehicles is 6 lakhs. Is it worth it if the car is very well kept? My friend is suggesting CNG which i am totally against but 6 or so would be too less a FE for me.
Old 14th January 2015, 20:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Any idea from GV owners on how much FE a 2.0 AT would give plus how much power loss one would expect compared to the 2.0 MT. I believe the 2.0 MT gives around 8 - 10 kmpl so assuming the AT should give around 6 - 8kmpl. Asking price for 2007 - 2008, 2 owner vehicles is 6 lakhs. Is it worth it if the car is very well kept? My friend is suggesting CNG which i am totally against but 6 or so would be too less a FE for me.
I would say 5-8 is a realistic figure. Please try getting a 2.4 which is both far more powerful and more fuel efficient due to the variable valve timing and the fact that you end up mashing the gas fewer times just to haul ass

Oh and 6 lakhs is way too much for a 2.0 AT GV no matter how well kept it is. The car certainly is worth the price but that isn't how much it will sell for in the market.
Old 14th January 2015, 21:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would say 5-8 is a realistic figure. Please try getting a 2.4 which is both far more powerful and more fuel efficient due to the variable valve timing and the fact that you end up mashing the gas fewer times just to haul ass

Oh and 6 lakhs is way too much for a 2.0 AT GV no matter how well kept it is. The car certainly is worth the price but that isn't how much it will sell for in the market.
2.4s are being quoted in the range of 8L plus all are out of Mumbai vehicles.
7% Road Tax and 4.5% Octroi doesnt make it a good proposition.
My budget is around 5. So how much do you think should be the ideal price for the 2.0 AT.
Old 18th January 2015, 21:07   #95
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This maybe a bit silly but still why a 2.4 GV AT over a CRV 2.4AT AWD? of the same age?. CRV to me some how seems the better deal when preowned?
Old 19th January 2015, 10:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
This maybe a bit silly but still why a 2.4 GV AT over a CRV 2.4AT AWD? of the same age?. CRV to me some how seems the better deal when preowned?
As a person also trying to find a good AT version of the Grand Vitara I can think of 2 major reasons - i) Ground clearance & ii) Low range gearbox.
Old 19th January 2015, 11:28   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
As a person also trying to find a good AT version of the Grand Vitara I can think of 2 major reasons - i) Ground clearance & ii) Low range gearbox.
Don't forget, (1) Better reliability under rough use (2) Cheaper spares and (3) Maruti service Network.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 18:48   #98
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't forget, (1) Better reliability under rough use (2) Cheaper spares and (3) Maruti service Network.
But thought that 20 or more times actual sales in India would enable easy and cheaper access to grey market and refurbished parts since the vehicles are both not sold any more. Infact in engine terms even the current accord has more or less the same engine and the sales would be so much more in India. A maruti centre in remote locations is not really expected to carry GV spares.

But am not a user and these views are just basic normal logic and real world scene may be different.
Old 19th January 2015, 19:54   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A maruti centre in remote locations is not really expected to carry GV spares.
Why should they carry GV spares in their inventory? They order it as and when required, and it arrives in a week. Besides, GV rarely ever has a breakdown and can use SX4 consumables. The workshop generally tells me that a part needs to be replaced in next 5K or 10K kms, so I have ample notice to place the order.

Quote:
But am not a user and these views are just basic normal logic and real world scene may be different.
I service my GV in a small town, and there are only 5 GVs in the entire district.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 23:00   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A GV can run circles around the CRV offroad, comes with a lowrange gearbox, is extremely reliable under rough usage patterns and is simple to service anywhere.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 09:58   #101
BHPian

When I talk to chaps, in Pune, servicing imported cars all of them have a similar line - spares of GV are not available. That is because they all prefer to buy from some market distributor who will give them some credit. Similarly everybody is very bullish about availability of Mitsubishi spares.

But I have specifically talked about some parts with a Maruti service centre head and he was confident of getting any spare within 7 days max. Also indicated prices were bloody cheap.

Remember most independant garages would prefer that their turnover is higher with costlier spares as their margin increases!!

A couple of days ago, while fitting a reverse camera, I talked to a 2003-2007 model CRV owner who had recently bought it second hand. He was taken to the cleaners(couple of lakhs) by the service centre for rectifying some minor issues. Did not seem justified at all. A GV would have set the chap back by only 0.5L max.

So I would trust the feedback of our Forum members who are actual users of this vehicle. That is the beauty of this forum - actionable information.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 23:17   #102
BHPian

I have been looking for a Grand Vitara, the AT variant. There are a few on offer in Delhi & Mumbai. I have the option of being able to buy in both the locations. The ones in Mumbai have CNG fitments done. Any downside that anyone can think of this ? Further the odometer # shown are quite low for the vintage of the vehicles on offer, both in Delhi & Mumbai. As a rule of thumb I am taking a per month run of approx 1000 KM for each month of ownership. This is taking most specimens on offer near the 80K-100K KM mileage during ownership. Is it prudent to buy a vehicle with this much mileage?

Last edited by RS_DEL : 12th March 2015 at 23:19.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
I have been looking for a Grand Vitara, the AT variant. There are a few on offer in Delhi & Mumbai. I have the option of being able to buy in both the locations. The ones in Mumbai have CNG fitments done. Any downside that anyone can think of this ? Further the odometer # shown are quite low for the vintage of the vehicles on offer, both in Delhi & Mumbai. As a rule of thumb I am taking a per month run of approx 1000 KM for each month of ownership. This is taking most specimens on offer near the 80K-100K KM mileage during ownership. Is it prudent to buy a vehicle with this much mileage?
Grand Vitara used in Delhi would not have any rusting issues.
I had talked to a Maruti service station manger re CNG. The only point he could make was that the CNG system would have to be removed if I wanted to run on pertol only. Did not comment on any engine issues. Possibly not too many CNG conversions in Pune!

Best of luck in your search.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 15:21   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Grand Vitara used in Delhi would not have any rusting issues.
I had talked to a Maruti service station manger re CNG.
Possibly not too many CNG conversions in Pune!

Best of luck in your search.
Thanks very much for your response. I hope somebody can share some gyaan on the apprehension and query I have WRT the mileage issue. There really is no escaping the high mileage. Advisability of buying a Vitara with such high mileage is something I can not make up my mind about.
Old 15th March 2015, 10:57   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Thanks very much for your response. I hope somebody can share some gyaan on the apprehension and query I have WRT the mileage issue. There really is no escaping the high mileage. Advisability of buying a Vitara with such high mileage is something I can not make up my mind about.
Well mileage has never been a strong point for GV. In fact it was one of the major reasons the sales never took off. I am an owner of a pre owned 2.0 AT GV fitted with CNG kit from Maruti workshop. When I bought the car I still remember it showed a mileage of 6.2 . Over 10 months of driving and many Highway runs, I have managed to now consistently extract an overall mileage of 7.0 - 7.5. Plus my driving is not very efficient as I do tend to leave the vehicle idling lot of times. I will say that anything between 7 - 8 is a good number. I personally am not a fan of CNG at all for a variety of reasons (long wait times at pumps, need for frequent engine oil change, etc. ) and have mostly driven on petrol.

So far I haven't had any real trouble with the vehicle apart from a battery dead issue once.

Buying a pre owned low FE car is mostly a matter of heart over mind. When I purchased the beast I thought I paid little too much and with some hard negotiating could have saved at least 25 - 50 k. True the pocket hurts but when I compare the overall math of buying a new diesel SUV at 15 lacs compared to about 6 lacs for a decently maintained pre owned petrol SUV, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Plus, believe me, driving a GV is far more pleasurable than most other diesel SUV upto 15 lacs price range.

Last edited by rattanw : 15th March 2015 at 11:00.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks