Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2015, 22:14   #106
BHPian

Re: Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
Well mileage has never been a strong point for GV. In fact it was one of the major reasons the sales never took off. I am an owner of a pre owned 2.0 AT GV fitted with CNG kit from Maruti workshop. When I bought the car I still remember it showed a mileage of 6.2 . Over 10 it doesn't seem like a bad deal. Plus, believe me, driving a GV is far more pleasurable than most other diesel SUV upto 15 lacs price range.
Thank you for your response.

You have not understood my query. I will rephrase my question.

I am not referring to fuel consumption figures.

My query is regarding the odometer readings. Most vehicles that get listed have very modest odometer readings ( low kilometerage ) relative to the age of the vehicle. A couple of dealers from the used market I talked to, told me always use a rule of thumb usage of approx 1000 km per month for an approximation of what the actual odometer reading should be in case service record is not available.

The dealers with Grand Vitara listings do not have service records for the vehicles. If I use the rule of thumb method for approximation of kilometers run, the # is coming somewhere in the 80K-100K KM range. Is it advisable to buy a vehicle which would have potentially done so much running?
Old 15th March 2015, 22:49   #107
Team-BHP Support

The Grand Vitara engine is known to work flawlessely even beyond 200,000kms. Mine is at 92,000kms (7+ years) and I expect another 7-8 years out of it. That is how reliable it is.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 13:49   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

GV - as Samurai has pointed out - has a reliable engine. I am doing overhaul of mine at 2.4lac kilometer.

But no service history is a bad sign. Service history of any Maruti vehicle that has gone for service at any A. S. S. across the country can be checked by any A. S. S.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 01:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
... Service history of any Maruti vehicle that has gone for service at any A. S. S. across the country can be checked by any A. S. S.
Another great plus point for Maruti. Whereas for a Ford, even history at another Service Center of the same Dealer, is not accessible.
Old 27th May 2015, 10:12   #110
BHPian

My experience:-

1. I first met the Asst. Service manager of the local MASS, who was their authority on Grand Vitaras. Struck up a good rapport.
2. For every vehicle I would fist look up the service record to get an idea of how the vehicle was maintained. If gaps were found or major issues located in the service history I would simply reject the vehicle.
3. Another person, who is trying to join the forum, also used the same method. When a vehicle was shortlisted he took it over to the manager for a check. Was given green signal. No charges for all this help.
4. I was saved, by the manager, from pursuing a few duds just based on the service records.
5. For the vehicle I finally purchased he had given a green signal looking at the service records. I went over to Mumbai, did a complete visual inspection and test drive. As I had driven quite a few GVs by then I could immediately make out that the vehicle was in top notch condition. After getting the vehicle promptly took it to the manager and gave him a box of sweets.

So do get in touch with a MASS and find out their expert. Use his/her advice. And be patient. Your city has a large pool of GVs so getting a good piece should be possible.

My vehicle had done 71500 kms at purchase. Just did some denting work, and changed 2 tyres. Suspension alignment was fairly within specs. Got the castor, camber and toe-in set to as close to mean as possible. Shows how well built the suspension is. Engine is a gem, though the low end torque is a bit lacking.
Promptly went for a 500+ kms hill trip. Next major service is at 80000 kms. Do not anticipate any issues. Only some routine stuff like battery change and rear brake shoes replacement. Possibly a couple of bushings may need to be looked at.

Best of luck in your search!!
sridhar-v is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 00:32   #111
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I'm from Delhi and just bought a Black 2007 GV AT which has clocked 76k kms. The car is simply outstanding. It's totally opposite to my view point towards a suzuki car. This car is built solid and the engine seems to be good for another 150k kms. The doors shut with a german car like thud, the suspension is rattle free and the quality of electricals seem to be reliable as well.

A few areas where i need advice:

1. The fan belt ( serpentine belt) is shredding away. Where do i source it from?

2. The boot door is rattling a bit (mostly when going over bad patches of road). What to do about it?

3. The FE is realllyy low. Around 5-6 km/l. Can anything be done about it?

4. The glove compartment lock lever broke yesterday. Is it easily available?

5. And lastly, which A. S. S. would you recommend for spares and service. And are they expensive? Planning to visit Karol Bagh and Khan Market to check on availability and prices.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 10:12   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm from Delhi and just bought a Black 2007 GV AT which has clocked 76k kms. The car is simply outstanding. It's totally opposite to my view point towards a suzuki car. This car is built solid and the engine seems to be good for another 150k kms. The doors shut with a german car like thud, the suspension is rattle free and the quality of electricals seem to be reliable as well.

A few areas where i need advice:

1. The fan belt ( serpentine belt) is shredding away. Where do i source it from?

2. The boot door is rattling a bit (mostly when going over bad patches of road). What to do about it?

3. The FE is realllyy low. Around 5-6 km/l. Can anything be done about it?

4. The glove compartment lock lever broke yesterday. Is it easily available?

5. And lastly, which A. S. S. would you recommend for spares and service. And are they expensive? Planning to visit Karol Bagh and Khan Market to check on availability and prices.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks
Welcome to the club!!

Get the serpentine belt changed asap. After ordering through MASS you will get it in 7-10 days. Will cost you about 9000 total including labour.

Re the boot door- See if the latch and striker have play. A simple juggad is to put insulation tape on the latch.

I have a 2007 AT purchased in May. 71500 kms on the clock when I got it. I was getting 6-7 kmpl in the city and 8-9 on outstation trips in the mountains. Got the throttle body, MAF sensor and Injectors cleaned last week. All work done at MASS. Air filter was also cleaned. Now the engine is much smoother and I expect the fuel efficiency to improve by atleast 1.5 kmpl. Will be promptly going on a trip on Sunday to confirm. By the way the fuel consumption indicator on the dash is not perfect. You need to check on tank to tank basis.

Spare are not readily available off the shelf. But MASS orders them and prices are really affordable. Do not go anywhere other than MASS for spares.

I am attaching the scans of parts and labour bills for last week's work. Parts changed included 1 ball joint set, front brake caliper pins and front suspension parts. Labour charges are for these changes, servicing and the throttle body & injectors cleaning. Also wheel balancing and alignment.

While you are doing the basic servicing also ask them to check the transfer case oil seals and oil level. This is a known trouble point on the Grand Vitaras.

Sudev will be the expert re Delhi MASS!
Attached Thumbnails
Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-gvbill1.jpg  

Used Suzuki Grand Vitara or New Tata Safari Storme-gvbill2.jpg  

Last edited by sridhar-v : 7th July 2015 at 10:15. Reason: Added comments
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 11:10   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
Hi everyone,

The FE is realllyy low. Around 5-6 km/l. Can anything be done about it?
GV being a big petrol car has a notorious FE , nothing much can be done. You can try removing a few unwanted things like a third row seat ( not sure if it is available in your model , the MT V6 model has it) and reduce the weight by a few kilos.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used car, that too a discontinued model versus a new car in production? No brainier really. There is no point in complaining about fuel efficiency of a vitara. It was useless in that department, when brand new, now being old and second hand even 5 Kmpl should be considered a good average.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 12:53   #115
Senior - BHPian

Buy Storme, simple as that, am one of the people who love to buy used cars for obvious reasons but trust me you never know what the car's actual condition and buying a car which is no more produced thats even more riskier. thats one of the reason i parted with my previous car "Adventure".

Tata has come a long way, thier after sales service is very good, am saying this after 7years of experience with 2 ASC's in Bangalore and 1 in mangalore. previously i owned a Honda i had a bad time dealing with their service centers.

Talking about Storme, a very nice truck, i know many who have upgraded to Storme from Safari Dicor and all are happy which includes me
lohithrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 14:53   #116
BHPian

A 2.4 liter recent GV will be better. Mileage is 9 to 11.5 depending on variant (AT being lower and individual driving styles). Engine, build quality etc is great. Performance can't be compared with diesels as it would be unfair. Since running KMs are not high, go for the GV.
Old 20th July 2015, 16:23   #117
BHPian

Hi Guys
I have a 12 year old Scorpio and it has been to Leh thrice along with countless other trips to the hills.
Because of the NGT ban etc I was exploring what I can replace it with.
Now with a 10 year life of diesel vehicles, I am more inclined towards a petrol. I have a 2008 Toyota Camry as my second vehicle for the City. The SUV is mainly for long outstation trips.
I just came across a Jan 2008 Silver Grand Vitara 2.0 AT which has done about 60,000 kms. It seems to be in very good condition with a single owner and a Delhi registration.
The asking price is around 4.75 lacs.
I personally would have preferred a manual after having the Camry AT but this is also Automatic.
What would be a reasonable price for the vehicle if it is in very good condition. And being an Automatic the average will be 6-8 right?
Styler

Last edited by Styler : 20th July 2015 at 16:25.
Old 21st July 2015, 00:22   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I just came across a Jan 2008 Silver Grand Vitara 2.0 AT which has done about 60,000 kms. It seems to be in very good condition with a single owner and a Delhi registration.
I personally would have preferred a manual after having the Camry AT but this is also Automatic.
What would be a reasonable price for the vehicle if it is in very good condition. And being an Automatic the average will be 6-8 right?
Styler
The best thing to look out for is the 2.4 liter manual since the power is fun and it offers the highest mileage figures. However if it is simply too hard to come by, then sure this seems like an okay deal I would try sealing it at 4 lakhs however given that it is a 2.0 AT from delhi. Expect 4-6kmpl within the city and not more than 8kmpl on the highway
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:50   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Guys
I have a 12 year old Scorpio and it has been to Leh thrice along with countless other trips to the hills.
Because of the NGT ban etc I was exploring what I can replace it with.
Now with a 10 year life of diesel vehicles, I am more inclined towards a petrol. I have a 2008 Toyota Camry as my second vehicle for the City. The SUV is mainly for long outstation trips.
Styler
Check out the vehicle service history. Well maintained car will not give any major surprises.
Asking price seems to be in the ballpark range. Budget for at least Rs. 50,000 cost of repairs to bring it up to proper condition. Main items to look out for at this stage would be tyres, battery and suspension parts. OE Speakers are useless so an upgrade to components/coaxials would be called for.

Check for proper operation of the 4WD selector switch, with confirmation in the instrument cluster. Also check for oil seal leakages from the transfer case.

Average for my 2L AT is 6-8 in the city. I get around 8-9 on outstation trips to the hills. I expect to get 11-12 on 4 lane highways. Not done that trip yet.
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 11:35   #120
BHPian

I get 8.5 to 9.5 on the 2.4 litre AT in the city. So the 2 litre should give more or at least the same number.

Don't go by third party accounts, a lot of that is miscommunication. People quote 3.6 litre averages and it gets lost in translation. Also, did Ladakh last month, though some wise guys quote 4-5 average (their data point was probably raid de himalaya), I got more than 10 on the seemingly bad sections.
mustysekhon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks