Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 10:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What should replace an Innova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuseinZS View Post
Why not have a separate vehicle for the farm duties; Isuzu D-Max? A powerhouse with comfort & more.

And then moving to a 5 person mover you have many choices, be it a Hatch/Sedan/SUV suiting you usage pattern.

If not the Isuzu MU 7 can also be looked at as a two in one but might take you a bit north of 20L

Cheers
HZS
Well we already have 3 vehicles including Innova(Vento+Ecosport) and only 2 drivers. Dont want to raise the count. Having a separate vehicle for farm duties mean, additional vehicle for moving 6-7 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Simple answer - there is absolutely nothing in the Indian market at the moment which can replace an Innova, except for another Innova.
They've got that end of the market sewn up so tight that nothing and no one, no matter what they may try, can get close.
A friend/acquaintance/colleague of mine recently went through the same conundrum when looking for a replacement for his 8-9 year old Innova.
He did a bit of hunting about and in just a matter of three days of thinking, made up his mind and went and bought himself a brand new Innova as a replacement. Nothing else comes close.
The Ertiga, Xylo, Aria and Mobilio are not at all to be even considered as potential replacements. They just won't make it past the door in my considered opinion! The Fortuner is a great vehicle by itself but it is dreadfully uncomfortable in the middle row and most certainly does not come close to the comfort delivered by an Innova.
I agree with you. I went and had a look on the Innova V version yesterday. The car ticks all the boxes. Problem occurs when i compare with my current Innova, there is nothing significantly different . Apart from those Airbags and ABS there is nothing that enticed.(The dealer was willing to throw some offers as well). The other significant drawback is Innova is close to 10 Years old model, investing 18lacs on fag end of the production cycle doesnot justify the decision to buy.

Had a look at Aria as well.The car as such is fine. But since i plan to keep for 6-8 years, long term reliability is a big question mark. The car doesnot seem to have a good resale value as well.
Old 1st October 2014, 11:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
...Had a look at Aria as well.The car as such is fine. But since i plan to keep for 6-8 years, long term reliability is a big question mark. The car does not seem to have a good resale value as well.
Did you test drive it? Aria's 320NM torque as against Innova's 200NM, definitely counts too.

And having 6 Airbags & a 4* EuroNCAP rating, it does address your safety needs.

Tata Motors shows confidence in its products through their assurances i.e. the 1.5Lakh km - 3 year warranty & 4 year - 2,00,000km AMC.

Also, AFAIK they've got a new kind of clutch for which they're giving some 70k (or 100k?) kms warranty.

There is a 1 Lakh price cut just announced, whats the OTR price you were quited for the "4x4 Pride" in Bangalore?
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 12:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Did you test drive it? Aria's 320NM torque as against Innova's 200NM, definitely counts too.

And having 6 Airbags & a 4* EuroNCAP rating, it does address your safety needs.

Tata Motors shows confidence in its products through their assurances i.e. the 1.5Lakh km - 3 year warranty & 4 year - 2,00,000km AMC.

Also, AFAIK they've got a new kind of clutch for which they're giving some 70k (or 100k?) kms warranty.

There is a 1 Lakh price cut just announced, whats the OTR price you were quited for the "4x4 Pride" in Bangalore?
Yes agree it much powerful engine, enhanced safety . They are offering maintennace plans as well. Couple of places where it loses heavily to Innova is on resale, Long term reliability,fit and finish.The Innova Engine can go 2-3lacs KM without fuss, I am not confident about Aria in this department.
They quoted 17.8 and were willing to offer some heavy discount. I was not interested to take it further as the car did not fully convince me. May be sometime i will give a long test drive to get a feel.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 13:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

What made you not consider the XUV? I think that is the only car that comes close to the Innova in terms of space and seating comfort and also costs a whole less while providing you with lots of extra creature comforts. Please do not opt for a new Innova just for the want of 2 airbags. The XUV W6 model might be ideal for you since you are not a fan of all that electric gadgetry. Also keeps the chances of something failing low.

If it is the Innova only that you want, then look out for a used V model. Problem solved.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 17:01   #20
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post

What is expected from replacement car:
1. Should perform all the above without compromise.
2. Should have ABS and dual airbags. Any additional kits are most welcome.
3. 4X4 is not a necessity, but good GC is a big plus. Preferably ladder on frame chassis.
4. Good resale value.
5.Prefer the car not to have fancy electronics.Manual and reliable stuff should be more than sufficient.
6. Reliability is a major requirement.
7. Should not compromise on comfort and space.
8. Price preferably to south of 20lac mark, but dont mind stretching a bit.

This is why Mahindra has sold so many XUV 500s.

From Manson's XUV 500 official review:
Quote:
The problem with upgrading from the million rupee SUV is that, the next upgrade costs 2 million!
With all price rise since 2011, I think that 2 million has become 2.5 million now!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

I think there is no replacement considering your budget and your list of requirements.
I wouldn't whole heartedly recommend the XUV 500 as:
->It has a monocoque chassis
->Won't run the 120k km in four years as reliably as Innova, though Mahindra vehicles are reliable, but they have a long way to go before they can challenge a Toyota

I think the best option is to keep your current ride and wait for Q3 of 2015 for the new Innova.

If you need an exclusive vehicle for your farm, why not consider a pickup like ISUZU Dmax and buy yourself an other car for personal use.

The only ladder frame chassis vehicles:
->Mahindra Scorpio
->Mahindra Xylo
->Ssanyong Rexton
->Toyota Fortuner
->Mitsubishi Pajero
->ISUZU MU7
->Ford Endeavour
->Tata Safari/Aria

Except fortuner, no the sales of the other INR 25 lakh is small. So no one really knows how good other vehicles are compared to the Fortuner.

Regards,
D4D

Last edited by D4D : 1st October 2014 at 17:07.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 17:52   #21
BHPian

Toyota Camry in the US is known as a 'boring' car - since its zero maintenance and people tend to take it for granted. The Innova has the same reputation here. I have to agree with what other folks are saying. If you really want a replacement that ticks the same boxes - it has to be an Innova. Nothing else comes close when you are being chauffered around in an Innova.

Of course, if you love to drive yourself; the driver experience would be better in the Scorpio and the Pajero.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 18:37   #22
BHPian

I've been having the same problem. My Innova G4 D4D is 2007 make, has done 78K so far. I usually take it out for long drives (3 people, mostly on TN highways, 800km round trip) once in 2 months. I don't use it inside the city because small car is easier to park. Just so that battery doesn't die or rats don't set up nest, every other Sunday, I take it out for errands at less than 20km.

Since it is getting old, thought of replacing it. Honda City VX AT, Duster AWD RxZ, Ciaz ZDi+ were the contenders first. Honda doesn't have backseat comfort like Innova (ie., it is more bumpy), Duster is perfect, but 15L on road seems to be too much for what you get, Ciaz I am yet to see. On the other end Fortuner AT is expensive and also I personally like Pajero better. If I am spending 20L+, I might as well go for AT, but Pajero doesn't have it yet.

Anyways, after all these various thoughts and discussions in the family, when we get into Innova, discussion quickly becomes why do we need another car. This is great, spotless interiors, zero troubles so far (except getting fuel tank cleaned once due to bad fuel) and only few scratches on the outside. Gets minimum 13.5kmpl too. So every single time I end up deciding to just get it polished and scratches removed (yet to give it to a shop - toyota dealership rips you off for scratch removal; they charge as much as full repaint).

Based on this, my suggestion is to just keep the current one. Or wait for 2015 Innova (current facelift may not appeal to you - I hate the grill!).

Last edited by vsbabu : 1st October 2014 at 18:42. Reason: wrong total kms put
vsbabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 18:51   #23
BHPian

It seems almost everyone is suggesting an Innova as a replacement for your Innova.

To be honest, I completely agree. The Innova is possibly the best, most reliable, and practical MPV available today. The only thing going against it is the high price.

I recommend you hold on to the current car, until the 2016 Innova comes out. If you absolutely have to replace your current Innova right now, I'd still recommend the current Innova. It may be an old platform, but it is still a solid vehicle.
kadanaJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 21:10   #24
BHPian

I would wait for the new Innova. It is the most comfortable, reliable muv around. And like the qualis, it demands a huge premium on second hand sales unlike no other. Hopefully the next version will come with an additional cog.
YaeJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 21:15   #25
BANNED

Sales figures, taxi fleet operators, owners who use it for personal usage swear by this car.

Till date I haven't seen one UV that can beat the Innova. I agree that the engine dies past 120 kmph on highways and strains out giving a feel to the Dover to back out.

Even after this grouse I still swear by this car and do recommend the OP to replace his Innova with another one. You won't regret.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 21:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you should wait for the next gen innova which has been seen testing on our roads. Speaking pragmatically, ONLY an Innova can replace an Innova....
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 22:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I think you should wait for the next gen innova which has been seen testing on our roads. Speaking pragmatically, ONLY an Innova can replace an Innova....
I agree with you,my family is also on the lookout for a replacement for our 2006 Innova,we are also waiting for the next gen Innova and then we'll proceed from there.
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:32   #28
BHPian

The options that sound good in order of my preference

Second hand Land Cruiser
Tata Aria (I guess the automatic facelift launch is coming soon)
Next generation Innova (rumored to have automatic , rumored launch Q1 next year )
XUV 500
Fortuner
Isuzu MU7
Ford Endeavour

For next gen innova, some are saying 2015, some are saying 2016, no confirmations.

I had "Stability Control" as an important aspect in this list making aria ahead of innova in my list. I am a Toyota fan, so second hand land cruiser with all its safety features tops the list.
raghav135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 00:54   #29
BHPian

What about these

Isuzu MU-7
Nissan Evalia/Ashok Leyland Stile
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 03:29   #30
BHPian

I think you should wait for the new Innova since 1.2 lac kms is nothing for the innova. Also there is no other UV that feels like an upgrade and frankly even if you consider other cars from the higher segments , all they tend to offer above the innova are snob value , more gadgetry(not much in the innova in the first place, yes we own one too) better engine (based on performance not commenting on reliability ) . My dad's friend was in the same dilemma had an '06 innova driven for about 2.2lac kms, went booked an X1 to replace the innova but didn't really feel like an upgrade based on his usage, end of story got himself a new '13 Innova VX and still happily logging miles on it. So what I am trying to say is IMHO wait for the new Innova. Or why don't you consider a '09-'10 used Innova VX as a stop-gap arrangement. It really doesn't lose much value anyway even if it has 2 previous owners.

Last edited by Shanksta : 2nd October 2014 at 03:30.
Shanksta is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks