Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What should replace an Innova?

IMHO

Innova but you really do not see value there.

Isuzu D Max but cannot seat five people though capable and reliable engine.

Evalia/Stile have same engine drive train as duster

All these assuming buying a new car.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 17:29   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As others have commented, I think the Innova is one vehicle that's perfectly suited to your needs. My suggestion would be to hold onto your current Innova for another 1.5 years. Next-gen be launched at the '16 Auto Expo.

Disagree with those recommending the Aria. With your kind of usage, who would want to take a gamble with reliability? Also disagree with the recommendations on the Fortuner. Fact is, it's less comfortable than the Innova and the price only seems to climb higher with time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
We are not living in Qualis era anymore
Actually, Toyota is having a bigger party with the Innova than it ever did with the Qualis.

- Same model has been on sale for 10 years now. Innova's shelf life has been far longer in India that that of the Qualis.

- It's selling at more than double the price.

- The sheer sales figures managed by the Innova are higher than the Qualis.

- All of the above with fiercer competition. The Qualis had hardly any.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 17:49   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also disagree with the recommendations on the Fortuner. Fact is, it's less comfortable than the Innova and the price only seems to climb higher with time.
Being a Fortuner owner, I can vouch for the fact that the Innova is indeed more comfortable especially with the captain seats which are not an option on the Fortuner. The ride quality too is more planted than it's bigger macho brother.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:50   #34
MHG
BHPian

If there is no hard requirement that the car should seat more than 5, consider the Isuzu D-Max Crew Cab. I have seen it on road early 2013 in Hyderabad so it is probably available elsewhere by now, and it has road presence to die for.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Well after checking the most suitable options available at current,I am inclined towards the new gen Innova to be launched in 2015/16. This also seem to be the suggestion of many in here.
Unless the Toyota dealer is willing to offer me a discount on current innova that I can't refuse I am thinking on new gen innova.
I did consider pajero sport but lack of service spare went against it.
Old 4th October 2014, 12:17   #36
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma. I drive about 40k kms a year and my old workhorse was getting tired.. So, over 6 months I test drove pretty much everything under the sun. Budget? err well budget no bar for the right contender though anything south of 15L would mean a saving.

Hatches:(considered due to their relatively cheap to own and run disposition)
Swift/Dzire: stayed away because I've driven a DDIS pretty much all my adult life. a change in heart(engine) was the order of the day.
i20: High speed stability issues. Swift handles better. Legs don't fit in driver's seat.
Polo GT TDI: loved it. didn't buy it because of VW horror stories about after sales.

Sedans:
Vento: VW after sales. Wife didn't want another sedan after dzire.
Fiesta: Ford refused a test drive. Interior appeared to be cramped.
Cruze: Loved it for its straight line velocity. Cramped drivers seat.

SUV/MUV:
Innova: Somehow, I don't see the value proposition that others do. It costs a bomb but doesn't do anything to excite the senses. I'm not trying to compare apples to Oranges but a Swift or Cruze goes like stink and can transform into a hooligan at the push of a pedal. You feel a connection. Somehow, no matter how much I drive a Toyota (innova & big daddy fortuner) that connection doesn't happen. The character of the car is very bland. For the size of the engine, it doesn't go fast either. You have to really spank it to get the torque to kick in. It's reliable agreed. But, its a people mover.
Fortuner: Overpriced hulk. The interiors are a turn off. Suspension on the stiffer side. Bumpy. Interiors are comfortable(ergonomics).
BMW x1: Nice to drive. Auto gearbox.. woohooo. Cost of ownership... ouch.
Aria: extremely nice but reliability was a concern.
Storme: Looks awesome but the interiors don't offer much. I mean you do spend the most time inside the car so a decent head unit world be a start. Gear lever vibrates like crazy. The whole thing is a truck. Just too unrefined.
XUV: You name it, you've got it. Comfort, price, ride quality, cruise control, airbags and acres of space. The wife was bowled over. It was so much more car than every car south side of 25L.

Bought the Xuv. Before it was all set on the x1 or Fortuner but the styling sealed the deal. There was a connection. Now, after 20k on the odometer, I feel it was the right choice. It's troublefree and the fuel efficiency is a shocker. The display fuel meter didn't drop below 17 kmpl on a recent 600km round trip from Chandigarh to Gurgaon.
Rathore_13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 08:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The Innova is a class act, and honestly, there is no direct replacement in the market today. Most of the alternatives would give either load carrying (pickup trucks- Xenon, Isuzu etc.) or people carrying capabilities - but not both, at least not without compromising either.

With the Fortuner, the question would probably be around whether you find it acceptable to experience almost-exact Innova feel but at a significantly higher price bracket.
Old 5th October 2014, 09:22   #38
BHPian

IMO you should consider waiting for the Next Gen 2016 Innova. Maybe they'll just add a VGT (for abit more power) and improve interior design, but it'll be worth it.

WRT Aria, its good you've been away from the honey trap. Tata needed to go one step further and address the concerns on product reliability, but they didn't sufficiently do so - even when they seemingly had the profit margins to try.

Also BIG NO for pick-Up's like ISUZU D-Max, the leaf springs won't give very decent ride quality.

Maybe you can get a ECU Remap and bump the power of your current Innova & enjoy it during the wait.

All the best.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 5th October 2014 at 09:23.
Old 7th October 2014, 00:05   #39

I am in a similar situation, wanting to buy an Innova (V/Z X). As of now, I am waiting it out for the newer 2015/16 model. Its the same rationale, if I am investing ~18L, Id rather buy the newer model.

I have a question for the gurus here, "What can we expect in the new Innova ?" I know there is a big wish list and is being discussed in the 2015 Innova thread. But, what do you think would actually trickle down to the new Innova ?

My fear is, would Toyota do a "Corolla" to the "Innova" as well ? In my opinion, the new 2014 Corolla is less premium as compared to the previous-gen model. (In spite of the corolla having a stiff competition in its segment)

So could the new Innova be an inferior package than the existing one and priced slightly higher, because its new ? Toyota management and we all know that the Innova would sell, nonetheless. (Unless they goof it up too badly, which I dont think they would. Innova is a great product, but isn't Toyota being too greedy with the Innova ?)

Well, I hope that I am wrong and the wait is worth it ! Fingers crossed !
Old 7th October 2014, 09:10   #40
BHPian

What should replace an Innova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi View Post

I have a question for the gurus here, "What can we expect in the new Innova ?"

The only difference I saw was that it has a roof top antenna instead of the existing one on the door.
Rest all are speculations. I some times even doubt wether they will bump up the power.

Toyota is a bit vague in their decisions if you feel you are being cheated with the new Corolla have a look at the Middle East version. It still sells with a 4-speed automatic when every one thought that Toyota would at least now upgrade the gearbox.
When asked about it Toyota was of the opinion that the 4-speed is such a tried and tested gearbox we don't want to risk getting the new 7-speed!

Coming to your confusion. We will come to know about the exact features and spec as the launch gets closer so you can take a call then wether to buy the existing model or the new one. Even after the new model is launched you will have a one month buffer where Toyota will have the pre-facelift model in stock that too at heavy discounts.
So according to me now is too early to take any decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks