Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 13:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian SUVs capable of Offroading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Steeroid,

The official Mahindra Scorpio website gives the GVV at 2550 KG for the four wheel drive version. However if yo chek the Autocar review by Shapur Kotwal the vehicle weight mentioned is 1750 - 1820 kg. if this is correct then the new vehicle is indeed significantly lighter.
I wouldn't take that number very seriously if I were you - if they can reduce 200+ kg by adding skirts and handles, every manufacturer would be going to them for lessons.

The GVW seems to be static between the old and new models, so I don't see how Kerb Weight can go down.
Old 11th October 2014, 23:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
If you are going to take the vehicle inside the forest on bad trails, I would recommend a 4WD with low range. Peace of mind, less wear and tear on the vehicle.

I was in Satpura National Park last year, just after the park opened. Many trails were unprepared, or not yet ready. The low range helped a lot.

I have had similar experiences in the Himalayas, around Sitabani (near Corbett) in the buffer zones of many Central Indian forests, and in the Nilgiris too.
Very true. I had spent last 4-5 days going through all the 4wd system technical available here on TBH. That too couple of times. Every time new fundas get cleared and earlier cleared ones get again murkier. Although what is missing here or any other forum is videos for different systems in same test conditions for cars available in India. Although comprehensive and comparative videos are available for models available outside India. Our forums are full of technical stuff though. My learning so far:

1. 4L is a must: However if you see youtube specifically ARB airlocker ones, there, 4wd with open differential fared worst then AWD with traction control. Top on the ladder was same 4wd car with their front and rear locks. The test was a normal hill ascent with few boulders and another with mud track.

2. We have no information on how XUV 500 AWD would perform or rather how its Traction Control would help in such case. It already has Hill Descent so I guess does half of 4L job for descending.

3. LSD (or absence) is also not worth much if its open center differential: One spinning wheel will render all other 3 wheels with equal nil torque. All hard core off-roaders are saying here that at a minimum locked center differential, rear and/or front locked differential is needed to have a piece of mind for decent soft off roading. Not going into solid axle etc required for hard core off-roading.

4. Again the forum lacks information on how XUV 500 with traction control, ESP, ABS would fare in such conditions. How it will fare against Scorpio with just 4WD, Storme with 4wd + LSD

5. There is a video with 2wd Scorpio + MLD: How easy is to install rear/front locks on Scorpio or Storme. Is that the recommended option? What is the mod option for 4wd Strome with LSD? Require more information here.

6. What about 2014 Tata Aria Pride 4X4: No review here or any other place for its 4X4 capability. How does it fare with XUV 500 AWD as same price point with similar features

My requirement remains same. Decent soft off-roading where I can venture without fear of getting stuck which means not venturing into hard core places. Additionally it should be comfortable for family highway cruising as well. However at this point I am not sure of how each will perform as mentioned above.

Thoughts?

Cheers....
Old 12th October 2014, 02:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupriyam View Post
We have no information on how XUV 500 AWD would perform or rather how its Traction Control would help in such case. It already has Hill Descent so I guess does half of 4L job for descending.

Again the forum lacks information on how XUV 500 with traction control, ESP, ABS would fare in such conditions. How it will fare against Scorpio with just 4WD, Storme with 4wd + LSD

6. What about 2014 Tata Aria Pride 4X4: No review here or any other place for its 4X4 capability. How does it fare with XUV 500 AWD as same price point with similar features

My requirement remains same. Decent soft off-roading where I can venture without fear of getting stuck which means not venturing into hard core places. Additionally it should be comfortable for family highway cruising as well. However at this point I am not sure of how each will perform as mentioned above.

Thoughts?

Cheers....
I am not a huge SUV fan so I haven't yet scoured our forum for information related to such, however I had read an earlier report on the Aria showing it's off-road lineage when compared to the XUV500, I think this was a overdrive travelogue, the Aria seemed more comfortable taking rough terrain than the XUV did so I would imagine that that is enough for us to draw a conclusion that the Safari Storme would outclass the XUV500 off-road. Pretty sure even the Scorpio would. The XUV is merely a soft-roader that fares better than a CR-V off-road. Same was the case with the X-Trail, Captiva and Tucson; they were all pretty good but the Pajero and Grand Vitara were simply better cars to be in when the going gets tough.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

i dont get the point here. we are prodding on a very generalized subject. What would be the actual use for the vehicle. Offroading has many definitions. Driving to your farmhouse with a cracked or broken road or a cobble laden path is not offroading. If that is what the definition of offroading is then any car can do it, why just an SUV. Even MPVs like an Innova will happily go to most regions, even in Ladakh.

Since we are discussing 4L and the weight and the GC of the car in mm, i guess you are considering serious offroading then in their present state completely stock all are incapably capable. None will be able to do it without loosing their bumpers with the exception of a Gypsy, an MM550/540 or a Thar. Even out of these three, the bumpers will have to be removed, modified and depending on the degree of, (for the want of a another word) off roadingness they will require more specific modifications.

Now coming to the general; question about just capability, then every AWD and 4WD is capable. Out of the above the most capable go anywhere with minimum mods are the Gypsy, The MM 550 (Militay spec), the MMGetaway, The MM Thar and the Gurkha.
The Safari and the Fortuner are very capable but are also expensive to use for serious offroading. The Fortuner more so, due to expensive parts. It is ike a RR. Completely built for off roading but will you dare to use it for a serious otr?

Coming to GC, the recent modification in the law, has a certain threshold of mm the car should not be raised above, if it is then the price goes up (excise etc). Illogical as it may seem, it is true and so car companies have found a via media to this. Instead of lowering the car and playing with the dynamics, they have put in a skid plate thereby loweringthe GC of the car. Its as simple, buy it and get rd of the skid late and you 186mm turns to maybe a 200 or 220 mm as the case may be in a matter of a few screw turns.

If you ask me, modded or not, the MM 550, Gypsy and Gurkha are the three, which one must consider for offroading. Cheap to maintain and mod and all comes with a 4WD transfercase. Why the Gurkha also has difflocks but then compared to the Gypsy and the 550 its weighs a lot.

Conclusion:
Almost every Suv made in India (or abroad) is good for offroading..... provided;
(a) it is a AWD or a 4WD with a transfer case
(b) is not so expensive that one cannot consider it for serious offroading
V-16 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks