Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian SUVs capable of Offroading?

A used Grand Vitara 2.4 MT/2.0MT would be my ideal choice, for its great off-roading capability and creature comforts on offer. It is actually a glorified and refined Gypsy. But it is very hard to find a good example.
A brand new Thar with AC, hardtop and winches is also a good choice. Plus the economy of diesel.

Do keep us posted.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 16:19   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Indian SUVs capable of Offroading?

Ah, the search for that 'perfect SUV'

Honestly, you'll need to give in on some area (price, space etc.).

You obviously aren't looking at hardcore offroading, hence I wholeheartedly recommend the Duster AWD to you. It's got superb ground clearance, healthy approach / departure angles and is supremely comfortable on bad roads. Add all-terrain tyres, polish up on your offroading skills and you'll be amazed at the places its capable of taking you. The Duster is smaller + lighter than the Scorpio / Safari / Fortuner and therefore, far more agile. It's capable enough for the requirements of 90% of folk out there. Why I recommend the Duster AWD here? Because it's good on tarmac too and is easier to drive / live with than the large body-on-frames.

Another option I'd consider is the XUV500 AWD.

If you absolutely need more 4x4 capability, a well-maintained pre-owned Pajero, Grand Vitara (hard to find) or Fortuner might fit in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupriyam View Post
So forget about true off-roading, these so called sub 20 lacs 4X4 are even struggling on basic off beat track.
Don't make your judgement based on youtube videos. Search through Team-BHP; owners of these SUVs have a done a lot more with their SUVs than you'd believe.

End of the day, whether you make it out of a rough patch or not depends as much on the driver as his vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2014 at 16:31.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I would rate driver skills on any 4X2, 4X4, AWD etc. than any of the vehicles that are available. like most of us here would suggest, have two sets of wheels. There is a wealth of information right here on this website. Dig deeper. Happy Birding!
Yes, I agree on the driver skills. Many a times I have seen birders getting stuck in their Innova's and water tanker drivers get them out. But second set of wheels are out. Rather upgrade my lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I would suggest you first drive Scorpio/Storme in 4 low mode, then you will realise the potential of 4x4. A simple test could be try climbing a steep footpath from standstill position in 4x2 and 4x4.
Agree. First I need to find a test to understand 4x4 capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You obviously aren't looking at hardcore offroading, hence I wholeheartedly recommend the Duster AWD to you. It's got superb ground clearance, healthy approach / departure angles and is supremely comfortable on bad roads. Add all-terrain tyres, polish up on your offroading skills and you'll be amazed at the places its capable of taking you. The Duster is smaller + lighter than the Scorpio / Safari / Fortuner and therefore, far more agile. It's capable enough for the requirements of 90% of folk out there. Why I recommend the Duster AWD here? Because it's good on tarmac too and is easier to drive / live with than the large body-on-frames.

Another option I'd consider is the XUV500 AWD.
Exactly what I am greeting inclined to as well. Duster option looks promising but price is touching other bigger SUVs.
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:50   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If the Duster were available in AWD avatar with Petrol engine then I guess it would be a good choice. Mainly on account of the quietness of the engine. It is a great car and as many have said, far more agile and far likely to be good off road, than any other other heavier "people carrier" SUV's. However, certainly NOT in its Diesel engine avatar.

For that matter so is the Yeti an excellent choice because it is highly capable etc - but it does have a clattery VW Diesel which rules it out.

If the Ford EcoSport would be offered to an enthusiastic audience, with its beautiful little gem of the 1 litre EcoBoost engine along with AWD, then that would be near perfect.

As of now, if you have the money, then the Grand Vitara is probably the only vehicle which fits.

Else, as I ve said before, it is only a Gypsy which can do the job in a "near perfect" manner.

All the Diesel variants fail because however refined they may be, they still announce their arrival a long way away, on account of their terrible diesel clatter. You can hear even a gear change on a quiet night, from many many miles away as I can testify from personal experience, because the kind of quiet that one experiences when one goes off to plantation country has to be experienced to be believed.

With the noise that all these Diesels make, no bird worth his salt will hang about to be photographed!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd October 2014 at 07:52.
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is mentioned in the official review of DMax.

Same thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...u-d-max-5.html

White plate is possible. The one I drove was white plate. Did not ask details of how he managed that.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, you need a court order...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post3534462
Old 4th October 2014, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

A fellow wildlife enthusiast here, thought not a birder. I do take my vehicle inside forests wherever possible.

If you are going to take the vehicle inside the forest on bad trails, I would recommend a 4WD with low range. Peace of mind, less wear and tear on the vehicle.

I was in Satpura National Park last year, just after the park opened. Many trails were unprepared, or not yet ready. The low range helped a lot.

I have had similar experiences in the Himalayas, around Sitabani (near Corbett) in the buffer zones of many Central Indian forests, and in the Nilgiris too.
Old 4th October 2014, 14:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

The newly launched Scorpio has 4WD option. It is about a week since it was launched. Any body try the 4WD variant and if so how does it fare? It has a decent engine and is significantly lighter than Storme. With the new suspension set up and the new chassis it it any good. It is also lower priced than the Storme VX 4WD and the Duster AWD.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 4th October 2014 at 14:29.
Old 5th October 2014, 01:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
It has a decent engine and is significantly lighter than Storme.
Mahindra does not advertise the Kerb Weight of the Scorpio, but various sources seem to indicate a kerb weight of 2,050 kg for the 4x4 (LX, previous version), which is about 45kg lighter than the Storme. If that is true, how exactly is it 'significantly lighter'?
Old 5th October 2014, 07:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

New Scorpio also have very low ground clearance of just 165mm.

@Nilanjanray : Low Gear and open diffs vs Intelli AWD rearing its head here. A winch add on is a safest option.
Old 5th October 2014, 08:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The newly launched Scorpio has 4WD option.
The earlier iteration too had a 4WD, but with new suspension etc, I am sure it will prove to a different thing to drive (not being specific about going off-road)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh
It is about a week since it was launched. Any body try the 4WD variant and if so how does it fare? It is also lower priced than Duster AWD.
For that we have to wait for the Team-BHP Official Review. And Duster is not priced higher, Duster is priced at 12.99 ex-showroom & the S10 variant is priced at 13.05 ex-showroom.

Yes, it is cheaper than the Storme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Sir jee, that is the same GC which my Figo has and I am changing the car just because of GC issues.

M&M plays with the GC on paper. In, on the road scenarios, I have tried to scrape the Scorpio's bottom, but have failed and unintentionally, have scraped the Yeti's multiple times. The center protruding part (center differential? as well as dampers) might be a hamper on trails, but I believe, that is it.
Old 5th October 2014, 10:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember Sheel the older Scorpio had 180 (185??) clearance.

You are right that it is not just GC but the combination of wheelbase and GC - break over angle - that is important.
Old 5th October 2014, 11:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Nilanjanray : Low Gear and open diffs vs Intelli AWD rearing its head here. A winch add on is a safest option.
That is very low. So focus is towards improving road manners...which makes sense for Mahindra.

Yes, a winch is safest - self winch setup, since one is sometimes alone in the forest, and there might not be mobile signal. But I was thinking of a stock vehicle when I commented.
Old 5th October 2014, 13:23   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Remember Sheel the older Scorpio had 180 (185??) clearance.
180mm Sudev.

However, the bigger advantage was that it was 180mm above the ground at the diff, the rigid mudflaps and the footboards. Removing the footboards and the mudflaps coupled with slightly careful driving to avoid hitting the diff would almost give it 210mm.

Sadly, the newer Scorpio is lower at the front bumper which is more complex to remove during/for an off-road stint.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 18:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mahindra does not advertise the Kerb Weight of the Scorpio, but various sources seem to indicate a kerb weight of 2,050 kg for the 4x4 (LX, previous version), which is about 45kg lighter than the Storme. If that is true, how exactly is it 'significantly lighter'?

Steeroid,

The official Mahindra Scorpio website gives the GVW at 2550 KG for the four wheel drive version. However if you check the Autocar review by Shapur Kotwal the vehicle weight mentioned is 1750 - 1820 kg. if this is correct then the new vehicle is indeed significantly lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The earlier iteration too had a 4WD, but with new suspension etc, I am sure it will prove to a different thing to drive (not being specific about going off-road)
For that we have to wait for the Team-BHP Official Review. And Duster is not priced higher, Duster is priced at 12.99 ex-showroom & the S10 variant is priced at 13.05 ex-showroom.
Sheel, I have not gone through the official price list but by the price listed by AutoCar magazine . As per them it is priced at at Rs 12.54 lakh ex showroom Mumbai for Scorpio S10 4WD.

Mod note: Post edited. Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2014 at 17:21. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE functions, instead of typing one post right after another

Most Viewed