Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2006, 18:59   #46
BHPian

We owned a Maruti van for eight years and travelled more that 1.5 lakh kms in it. My father bought it for around Rs. 75,000 (brand-new) and after eight years he sold it for Rs. 90,000!!!! It is very rare that a vehicle in production sells for more than its retail price and that also after eight years of usage. Mind you it had the original Suzuki engine and it was really a gem of an engine.

My father is fond of driving and we have been to most major hill-stations in north India in our lovely van. The crowning glory was our trip to Goa from Delhi about 11 years back. Leave alone Delhi, there were barely any vehicles from Maharashtra at that time. It was quite a trip for this dainty little vehicle but it managed without any issues. At that time the highways and driving by bus/truck drivers were not that good and safety was more of a issue. But nonetheless we managed eight enjoyable years in our van. It was some time. My father's thinking is that safety is all in the mind, one should concentrate on driving and hope for the best.

In terms of space, the van is an unbeatable vehicle in its class till-date. Interior space was a vital issue when buying the next vehicle. So the next vehicle was a Tata Sumo, as if to compensate for the inherent safety deficiency in the van. In fact our Sumo turned over to one-side on the highway at around 100 kmph. It was quite an incident, nobody was seriously hurt as the vehicle is built like a tank. But this incident made us realise that the van was not that bad in terms of handling. The safety issue is there in the van, but I believe if you drive fairly well and keep a good-eye on other vehicles on the road, then you'll always be on the safe side and enjoy your journey rather than worry unnecessarily.

Our Sumo has covered more than 2 lakh kms in ten years, but don't think the Sumo will in any way sell for more than its retail price, as was the case with out Maruti van.
Old 22nd September 2006, 20:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

i had two actually....had bought a brown one...used it for a yr and then a new blue one....a very lovely car...easy to drive...i had my blue one fitted with an a/c...those 3silver blower ones....was very spacious..and then finally sold it.
Old 22nd September 2006, 21:31   #48
BHPian

Hey ssl buddy..................Any Zen lovers here???

az
Old 23rd September 2006, 23:52   #49
BHPian

Omni Haters list... me should be on the top then! i god damn hate this piece of human waste! argh! had such a bad accident with this car around 9 years ago, scars are still with me as a reminder to never ever even touch an omni!

was going at 60kmph in the nite on the highway, and at a sharp turning, this breadbox just toppled when i ran over a small stone while at the turning. huh! worst car ever! thou, for the price, cant complain at all!
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot
Hey ssl buddy..................Any Zen lovers here???

az
Hey az buddy,
U r the real Zen lover! Your pursuit is legendary by now.

Some interesting stuff discussed by folk on this unique Omni thread.
Old 2nd November 2006, 15:13   #51
BHPian

About the Omni, mid engined rear wheel drive. Common guys. How many Indian cars have that?
None.
Did you guys see the Top gear episode where The Hampster drove the Suzuki Supercarry (or the Omni) around their track and flipped it over?
Old 6th November 2006, 12:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl2uv108
If you do hate an Omni please elaborate - why?
i dont hate it , I just love it !

I think its one of the real fun ones to drive in the city at sane speeds , plus its so small , manuvers really well , costs practically nothing to maintain, gives very good mileage and to top it can carry a lot a lot of luggage or eight people ( becomes too much of a squeeze) at times.

as long as you dont venture out of the city its a great vehicle , just wish it came with an a/c as optional equipment.
Old 25th June 2007, 17:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

picking up an old thread...

I have been using on weekend local trips for the past 4 months. I loved it very much, very easy to drive & excellent view. Can easily accommodate 8 adults (including driver) & has become favorite vehicle for my family to attend local functions.

Calls will be flooded from my friends for OMNI during rains with all those bars at its max capacity.

I hate the breaks. When applied at speeds above 40 kmph, It always pulls to either of direction.

Since not much of use, Iam planning to sell it. Great experience owning and driving that OMNI

Last edited by Surprise : 25th June 2007 at 17:33.
Old 25th June 2007, 18:28   #54
BHPian

Well, i dont hate the omni, but i do hate the fact that the folks in the front seat are sitting ducks in the event of an accident.

I have travelled lots of times in an omni (since times immemorial) and it was never uncomfortable. It used to pull quite well (probably cos it was a very light vehicle) and I had a classmate who used to drive it like a maniac... I do hate some of the experiences I've had travelling wit him though, for the sheer sense of fright he instilled in us!

All the omnis i travelled in had a 5-seat configuration which meant oodles of space at the rear to carry stuff in, so that made them pretty useful.

And, talking about reversing, a neighbour of mine used to reverse it really fast and straight as an arrow... I remember a lot of us kids (back then) used to be fascinated by this and pause our games and watch him reverse!
Old 26th June 2007, 00:19   #55
BHPian

guys,
I have only travelled in an omni once and it was being used in the mountains on a track where a mahindra MM 540 jeep was using 4x4. I was amazed by the capabality of the small van.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:05   #56
BHPian

OMNI probably my first drive!!!!!

Hey guys.....I am planning to buy an Omni with AC 45k kms on the clock.......It is the new model i think it is 2004/2005 model......white square headlights........I have driven it twice and I must say I did learn driving in the first two shots...A gem of a car to learn driving...........
Old 3rd July 2007, 18:42   #57
BHPian

Its really ok for city driving, but a complete 'no-no' for the highway. Very unstable, brakes are'nt good, weak body.
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:47   #58
BHPian

I dont hate the omni but once saw a very bad accident which would have never happend in any other vehicle on jaipur highway the maruti van was coming from jaipur side to delhi and there was this road closed from delhi to jaipur so a truck ahead of us and we were diverted to wrong side
The van was coming from the otherside and the guy was driving at a very slow speed of 40- 45 kmph and he turned his van seeing the truck in front of us to avoid truck which it did very well but after crossing the truck when it was near by my car it rolled over 3-4 times just because it became unstable by the lane change ,all the glasses broke two guys sitting were injured throug not very badly and the van was a TOTAL LOSS ,i think it is a very unsafe vehicle which can fall even on speeds as low as 40 kmphs which i never expected until i saw that accident
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:06   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
was going at 60kmph in the nite on the highway, and at a sharp turning, this breadbox just toppled when i ran over a small stone while at the turning. huh! worst car ever! thou, for the price, cant complain at all!
Its no sedan to take turns at 60.

The car has its limitations to be kept to. But, for the price i too love it.
Old 31st July 2009, 19:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
I dont hate the omni but once saw a very bad accident which would have never happend in any other vehicle on jaipur highway the maruti van was coming from jaipur side to delhi and there was this road closed from delhi to jaipur so a truck ahead of us and we were diverted to wrong side
The van was coming from the otherside and the guy was driving at a very slow speed of 40- 45 kmph and he turned his van seeing the truck in front of us to avoid truck which it did very well but after crossing the truck when it was near by my car it rolled over 3-4 times just because it became unstable by the lane change ,all the glasses broke two guys sitting were injured throug not very badly and the van was a TOTAL LOSS ,i think it is a very unsafe vehicle which can fall even on speeds as low as 40 kmphs which i never expected until i saw that accident
Dear Sir, that is the reason I have shifted to Maruti 800 from Omini and I am A happy man infact after selling my van I saved some money and went for a second hand 5 speed 800 at a much low price and spent the left over money to furbish the 5 speed , now it is a almost a new car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks