Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2006, 22:36   #1
BHPian

Omni haters here?

If you do hate an Omni please elaborate - why?
Old 7th August 2006, 23:26   #2
BHPian

No, how can u ever think about hating an omni .......my sweet old maruti van..I got a white mauti van when i was 6 yrs old. I still have it intact.
ofcourse, its a toy........ .......I've never owned an actual 1. Apart from the safety (possibly the only) issue, theres nothing much to hate about it, I guess.
autozealot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2006, 23:31   #3
BHPian

NO One can ever hate an OMNI. The first of the kind to come out with sliding doors, and its a gud van.....i love it !!!
Old 7th August 2006, 23:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

we had an omni some years ago. The navy blue coloured van(as it is commonly known as) served us exceedingly well for a maruti.

done around 80K before we sold it for 90K.

I dont love the omni as a car but as a vehicle its an excellent proposition. No city UV can accomodate a joint Indian family of grandsons and grandparents in a car for a affordable price and good comfort even today.

Looks and interiors are due for an upgrade in a long time and an a/c version needs to be released.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 7th August 2006 at 23:45.
Old 8th August 2006, 00:49   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl2uv108
Hey, I wonder why such a thread ??? Trust me ... the OMNI was probably one of the best things that happened to Indians as far as automation is concerened !! What an OMNI can do , No other car can do .. It just depends on wether you know how to get the best out of it ...

And before I say anything any farther ...... I wud like to know why you hate it --- and then watch my answer !!!

Cheers
Old 8th August 2006, 01:06   #6
BHPian

I love the OMNI. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 8th August 2006, 01:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I hate the OMNI for having the engine right under the driver's seat making it really uncomfortable for long drives, oncoming traffic on your face feeling, Reversing - makes me feel dissy - just cant get the straight line however hard, I try...

Well, I love it too - good drivability in city traffic - as fast as my bike. good luggage capacity, short turning radius, good power
Old 8th August 2006, 09:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think OMNI is good as long as its driven in a straight line below 40kmph and used as a cargo.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

I actually quite like the omni. u have to look at it in teh right perspective. Of course if you moan about its handling or lack of creature comforts, you are welcome to look elsewhere- the omni is not the car for you.

But look at it for what it is and it makes immense sense. It is not a vehicle to be driven at high speeds. but it is a brilliant load lugger considering its engine size. And the manouverability in city is legendary!

Of couse, Maruti should have upgraded it over the years by plonking in teh 1.1L engine, A/C and some front end strengthening to enhance frontal safety.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl2uv108
Why the Omni alone leaving rest of the cars? Is there any specific reason why you wanted people's opinion on Omni. Do you love it or hate it?

I don't either love it or hate it. I never got the chance to drive Omni. I am wishing to drive one since i learnt driving car 11 years ago. I want to feel how is it sitting just inches away from the road ahead. Nobody i knew have one.
Old 8th August 2006, 10:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Have never owned / driven an Omni. But that is one of the cars that I would love to own. Like the sliding doors, the looks (of the current one, but not of the old egg shaped one), the people carrying capacity. I think it is ideal for a day out with a load of friends, with loads of space for crates of beer, food etc.
Old 8th August 2006, 11:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I do ..
* Way too light for my liking.
* Not even a semblance of protection in case of a frontal crash.
* Wouldnt dare to take it on highways.
* Never have felt confident when driving it.

Would never buy one. And a more recent shock about this vehicle was the way the seat belts are mounted. Seemed to be a flimsy add-on.

That said, I am not against the concept/design. The style is well suited for the Omi Carry version - light cargo in the back for delivery within cities, and other specific uses.
Old 8th August 2006, 12:01   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I hate it ... mainly b'coz of its drivers who are no better than ... a bit faster auto-rickshaw drivers.
Old 8th August 2006, 12:09   #14
BHPian

I Do Love it & Own it.

Mine is 2005 model, Mountain Mist in Colour, 8 seater, with an LPG original kit.

What i like about the omni is,

-Its Passenger carrying Capacity, & luggage carrying capacity when required. I could carry my yezdi (which is under restoration) with me with wheels removed.

-When the rear first seat is folded, I get immence legroom, which no other "Family" car in the market offers. Me & my brother are 6.4 feet tall)

-It offers good fuel consumption figures, on petrol & LPG both.
Use LPG for city commutes, & Petrol for those steep inclines in the ghats & you will be quite satisfied.

-Small turning radius, very useful in heavy traffic conditions & small lanes & parking areas you see in pune.

-Sliding rear doors - Good ingres & egress (are the spellings right?)

-And yes the Legendary Maruti Company - 800 & Omni - "Peoples Car" after VW Beetle i think.

Negatives

- Direct impact in case of an accident.

- Engine Right Below Your ***.

- Less Stability. Use Wide alloy rims & tyres. Fuel efficiency will reduce but look at the positives.

- Install a sunroof, Front Centre, & you will have more breathable air at the back. or else install sliding windows at the extreme end, or install a rear windshield as available in old maruti 800's (like edmunds i think.)

Doing these modifications will not cost you more than the car available in the next class & make you Happy at the same time.

Omni Rockkkkkks man.

Hooshhhhh - my longest post. Thanks for this thread.

Last edited by Shreeram : 8th August 2006 at 12:12.
Old 8th August 2006, 12:15   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I hate the OMNI for having the engine right under the driver's seat making it really uncomfortable for long drives, oncoming traffic on your face feeling, Reversing - makes me feel dissy - just cant get the straight line however hard, I try...

Well, I love it too - good drivability in city traffic - as fast as my bike. good luggage capacity, short turning radius, good power
Hey, It seems you have never owned an Omni .. coz it sure aint uncomfortable for long runs !! In fact its the other way round ....

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks