Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2006, 18:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Second hand qualis ,tavera or scorpio

Considering the moon like condition of the roads in our city[read pune].I would like to go in for a vehicle with a high ground clearance,economical to maintain and also something which would be light on my pocket,in short a peoplecarrrier.But since i would not be able to affford a brand new one i have shortlisted these models from the second hand market.

The qualis since production has stopped seems to be the cheapest.But dont know if the same reason would also increase its maintainance costs.Driving would mostly be in the city and I prefer driving around at higher gears.
I dont have much idea about the scorpio but one thing i vouch for is that the scorpio looks good so much so that the new scropio stands no where near the older ones beauty.

The muv would be for personel use only.Could someone give me a rough idea about the prevalent market rates as well for an after 2000 make model of the three.
Old 12th August 2006, 23:43   #2
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Rates?.. I have no idea...

But I can tell you... your considerations...
Fuel cost = Tavera wins hands down...
Maintenance = Qualis or Tavera..
Good ride on bad roads= Tavera

you decide...
Old 13th August 2006, 02:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanks.
Which one is more comfortable to drive the tavera or the qualis.
Also is there a big difference between driving the qualis and the tavera,since i have heard in comparison to the qualis the tavera tends to lag a bit during initial acceleration.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th August 2006 at 02:16.
Old 13th August 2006, 03:21   #4
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
thanks.
Which one is more comfortable to drive the tavera or the qualis.
Also is there a big difference between driving the qualis and the tavera,since i have heard in comparison to the qualis the tavera tends to lag a bit during initial acceleration.
Yes, somehow the qualis is more driver friendly... I mean it responds to your foot. Tavera is more laid back... though on paper its actually much faster than qualis - you need to push it hard to drive hard.

For normal driving both are good. But its like your family car so Tavera rides much better and is more comfortable.

ohh.. yes the lag ... tavera has a turbo so its slow till the turbo kicks in.. but its not bad.

One of my friends owns both ... according to him..
the qualis wins in steering... and engine response... rest its the tavera.
Old 13th August 2006, 13:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great i was just looking for this kind of a reply.This is exactly what i wanted to know.Team-bhp is definitely more useful than all auto mags put together.

SLK Whats your opinion of the earlier version of the scorpio.

Last edited by adya33 : 19th August 2006 at 16:08.
Old 13th August 2006, 13:40   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, I haven't driven the new version... so I can't compare.
It was a decent car/SUV.... but since I am only used to driving petrol cars.. I had the following ovservations..
The gear shift was too hard
Clutch pedal required effort to push it in for changing gears.
Acceleration was ok
People complain of brakes - I probably didn't drive it hard enough to have any issues with brakes.
Front seats were ok... though I think the second and third rows were not good.
Bottom line... it felt like a typical diesel ... everything was heavy!... though not so in qualis and tavera.

But don't go by my word on scorpio.. try it for yourself. And its not really as trouble-free as a qualis.
Old 13th August 2006, 14:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Once again a very big thank you.I got so much information from you I dont have any doubts left.Its the tavera i have made my mind.
Old 13th August 2006, 19:09   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once again a very big thank you.I got so much information from you I dont have any doubts left.Its the tavera i have made my mind.
Hey you are welcome... I am glad I could help you.
Old 14th August 2006, 14:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a wise choice, considering. the ride is definitely better in the tavera, specially for the passengers.
Old 14th August 2006, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! Good choice.
Old 14th August 2006, 20:40   #11
BHPian

Since you have made up your mind for Tavera, talking about its price only. Price for Tavera should be 4.5-6.1 (B1 to SS) for 2004 and 5-6.5 for 2005.
Old 16th August 2006, 22:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

thank you very much for all your help
Old 18th August 2006, 20:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

From an auto -mag

I plan to buy a pre-owned Toyota Qualis. Is it a prudent decision as Toyota has discontinued production of this vehicle following the launch of the Innova? Will spares availability and after-sales service be an issue? Which will be a better choice in respect of fuel efficiency and maintenance cost — the Qualis, the Chevrolet Tavera or the Mahindra Scorpio?
Nilesh Kumar Dubey
The Toyota Qualis would be a good alternative to consider in the used-car market. This multi-utility vehicle was withdrawn from the market when it was still selling the most in the segment. Despite its relatively bland styling, the Qualis was extremely popular both in the family van and taxi segments. It used to be preferred for its passenger carrying capacity and class-leading refinement vis-à-vis its competitors at that time.
Since its withdrawal, the residual value of the Qualis in the used-car market has dipped. This is the inevitable fallout for any vehicle that is pulled out of the market. But with Toyota Kirloskar Motor still fully supporting the Qualis in terms of spares and after-sales support, it still commands a relatively good resale price when even compared to cars that are still being manufactured but less popular in the new car market.
The support from Toyota for the Qualis is unlikely to drop dramatically in the near term, as most manufacturers have a market dynamics driven logic of supporting withdrawn models for at least a decade after their exit from the market. Avoid, however, the first generation Qualis that was launched in the Indian market, as spares for it is most likely to dry up earlier. The remodelled variants that made it to the market later would be the better bet and the spares for these models are probably available in other Asian markets even now.
The other option could be the Mahindra Scorpio, the residual value for which would have dropped in the used-car market now that a new restyled version of this vehicle has been launched. The new Scorpio, which was rolled out earlier this month, replaces the old model and, hence, a used Scorpio should be relatively cheaper now than it was a couple of months ago, though prices for this vehicle in the used-vehicle mart will still be higher than that of the Qualis.
Old 20th August 2006, 19:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

The search is not going so well.Its is really difficult to find a well maintained MUV.
Innova base model[without power steering] for around 6 lakhs.Is an innova without power steering managable in city driving conditions.
Old 21st August 2006, 17:37   #15
BHPian

HI Rahul,

I think the Tavera is a good buy. We used to have Qualis as our drop/pick-up vehicles in the company and I had taken a couple of rides on Tavera's too. I found the tavera to be more comfortable and smoother. However the last bench seats are slightly bigger on the Qualis.

If the kids can go back, then Tavera is a better buy I guess.

Whatever second hand vehicle you go for, always take a test drive, if possible drive beyond 60kmph and see how it feels, brake a bit hard too. check the vehicle's accident record too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks