Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2006, 06:59   #1

Tucson-user / ownership experience

I'm looking for user / ownership experience of Hyundai Tucson. Is it worth paying 18.5L (B'lore price) for this suv? Look forward to your comments on your comparison to Honda CRV.

Any recent buyers who got better deal for this SUV? can you Pls share the details?

Advance thanks for your inputs!

Cheers!
Kumar.

Last edited by cerk : 19th August 2006 at 07:00.
Old 19th August 2006, 10:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Insane Devil is our resident Tuc boy.

Check out his purchase decision here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ghlight=Tucson

or PM him for ownership reviews.

Next time, try using the search function - quite a few autos (almost all of them) have been reviewed by owners here.
Old 19th August 2006, 17:12   #3
BHPian

hey there Steeroid! , Hey cerk

Cerk buddy, buy it and then experience it! i am jus luving my Tucson more and more very day! the great performance, lovely highway handling and stability, agile city driving, all add up to a great fun an frolic!

From past some time i have dissapeared from here a bit and hv been busy in some international Tucson specific forums to better my Tucson more n more. will soon post more about the new thigns i have learnt.

Cerk, its a great vehicle, money well spent.

Seeya!
Old 19th August 2006, 20:01   #4

Hi Steroid, Thanks for the link and the search suggestions (well I did that quite a lot and saw the new Tucson and CRV in British Motor show@ Excel-London and since then I am in a major dilema on which one I should be taking. Considering the rising fuel cost and the drinking habit of CRV - I have settled on Tucson).

After browsing the response in the link I could see the clear winner - Tucson :-)

Hi Insane Devil,
You seem to have got a good deal at the ex-show room price. Here in B'lore the current price is 15L+ and the on road PRICE comes to 18.5L.

Look forward to your info on Tucson.

Cheers! guys... have a nice weekend!
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:22   #5
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerk View Post
Hi Steroid, Thanks for the link and the search suggestions (well I did that quite a lot and saw the new Tucson and CRV in British Motor show@ Excel-London and since then I am in a major dilema on which one I should be taking. Considering the rising fuel cost and the drinking habit of CRV - I have settled on Tucson).

After browsing the response in the link I could see the clear winner - Tucson :-)

Hi Insane Devil,
You seem to have got a good deal at the ex-show room price. Here in B'lore the current price is 15L+ and the on road PRICE comes to 18.5L.

Look forward to your info on Tucson.

Cheers! guys... have a nice weekend!
did you buy your tucson yet? I've almost finalised on it. its a great car. but there is athread on this forum saying that it has been phased out. that doesnt make sense, because the tucson has always been a CBU. so where is the question of phasing out.

I'm negotiating for some discounts. will let you know what happened.

Old 3rd January 2008, 12:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

In Delhi Hyundai is giving close to 80K discount on the sticker price. Make sure you bargain hard if you go for the tuscon.
But also note that it sells < 10 vehicles every month.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:47   #7

My experience with Tucson has been very bad. I bought one in 2005 Mar. For about a year and a half everything was fine.

Starting Dec 2007, throttle response dropped dramatically. I was adviced to change my diesel brand. After changing to Shell diesel, engine clatter set in. Now I have switched back to BP diesel; engine clatter is deafening; feels like I am driving a el-cheapo lorry. Certainly feel cheated after having paid 17 lakh.

Hyundai dealers shrug their shoulders and say "what else do you expect from a diesel engine"! Wrote to Hyundai Delhi asking for help. They are very sympathetic but basically the same reply "this is a diesel engine Sir. It will be noisy"! Trouble is the price they charge for it, right?

My advice to you is, when going for a high end vehicle stay with petrol. Diesel is simply not ready for prime-time, particularly in India. IF something goes wring with the engine, Hyundai will blame the diesel quality and there is no way you and I can disprove that contention.

Regards,

Kishore
Old 20th May 2008, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuma25 View Post
engine clatter is deafening; feels like I am driving a el-cheapo lorry.
Hey Kishore,

i had that too, and 99% i think in ur case, it is the Pressure plate clattering that makes the engine sound like that. I know, it sounds Horrible, and especially when u driving out, other ppl turn and see whats clattering!

That is one big point u have to get checked,

Secondly, check if there is a loss of gear oil. I had gear oil leaking out of my Tuc, and hence had to replace the Gear oil seal ring.

Check out for these 2 problems and let us know if it solves ur issue.
Old 20th May 2008, 17:50   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kishore,

Were you filling your Tucson up with premium diesel? Manufacturers generally recommend only regular diesel for their cars. I hope this is not the culprit.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kishore,

Were you filling your Tucson up with premium diesel? Manufacturers generally recommend only regular diesel for their cars. I hope this is not the culprit.
. Generally all diesel manafacturers are recommending normal diesel usage. I wonder what will happen in future for the premium diesel. Maybe it will just die down as a marketing hype. However, i doubt using a premium diesel can harm the engine for it to clatter.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Throttle response

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikuma25 View Post
Starting Dec 2007, throttle response dropped dramatically. ... engine clatter is deafening; feels like I am driving a el-cheapo lorry.
Take it to a reputed independent diesel mechanic. He should be able to tell you what is wrong with it in a few minutes. Then, armed with knowledge, go back and be persistant with the dealer.

Some things it could be:

Bad injector(s)
Bad ECU
Bad EGR valve

Do not give up on it. It might be an easy fix.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kishore,

Yes, for two months in Feb & Mar this year I did use Shell premium diesel. After that I started noticing the clatter. Now I have switched back to BP normal diesel (three tank-fulls so far) but there is no let up in the clatter.

Regards,

Kishore
Old 28th May 2008, 19:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Take it to a reputed independent diesel mechanic. He should be able to tell you what is wrong with it in a few minutes. Then, armed with knowledge, go back and be persistant with the dealer.

Some things it could be:

Bad injector(s)
Bad ECU
Bad EGR valve

Do not give up on it. It might be an easy fix.
I have already got all four fuel injectors cleaned and recalibrated. That did not help.

Regarding EGR valve: In Dec 2007, the dealer once "cleaned" the EGR valve soon after which the clatter started.

Around the same time, I swicthed to Shell Premium diesel. So far, I have suspected the diesel and not the EGR value. Now I am sure Shell premium diesel was not the cause of the clatter (I have stopped using it and have switched back to normal diesel with absolutely no improvement).

I will take your tip on the EGR value and see what can be done, but it is not clear to me how the EGR value can cause clatter. It is simply a case of bad combusion due to incorrect proportion / timing of exhaust feedback to the engine?

Also, how can I locate an reputed independent mechanic? The dealers monopolize the service business, right?
Old 20th September 2008, 17:06   #14

Hi All, it is been more than 2 years since I bought Tucson. I was surprised to read about engine clutter. Perhaps the clutter noise is some kind of knocking noise when you drive in higher gear at a lower speed. If yes, then I have observed it happen in my Tucson. Whenever I notice this increase in noise I shift down to lower gear and reduce the pressure on accelerator. This seems to correct the problem. I have used both normal and high-speed diesel / Turbojet Diesel alternatively. Servicing is done as per the schedule. Pretty happy with its road presence. I have noticed people watching the Tuc as there are not many Tuc's on road . The best is that I have never been disappointed with its fuel-efficiency. It is giving 10.5 KMPL almost steadily in B'lore city traffic with AC. My fuel bill is less than 2500 per month. I clock about 35 Kms daily.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:52   #15

Hyhndai lack service capability

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerk View Post
Hi All, it is been more than 2 years since I bought Tucson. I was surprised to read about engine clutter. Perhaps the clutter noise is some kind of knocking noise when you drive in higher gear at a lower speed. If yes, then I have observed it happen in my Tucson. Whenever I notice this increase in noise I shift down to lower gear and reduce the pressure on accelerator. This seems to correct the problem. I have used both normal and high-speed diesel / Turbojet Diesel alternatively. Servicing is done as per the schedule. Pretty happy with its road presence. I have noticed people watching the Tuc as there are not many Tuc's on road . The best is that I have never been disappointed with its fuel-efficiency. It is giving 10.5 KMPL almost steadily in B'lore city traffic with AC. My fuel bill is less than 2500 per month. I clock about 35 Kms daily.
I was also very happy until Dec 2007. After that, the car has fallen apart and Hyundai service stations are incapable of doing anything about it.

The noise I am referring to comes during idling. Clearly the engine is not firing correctly and hence has lost significant power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks