Team-BHP - The Renault Lodgy vs other 7-seater MPVs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   The Renault Lodgy vs other 7-seater MPVs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/162554-renault-lodgy-vs-other-7-seater-mpvs-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3683585)
Interesting. Won't the Storme feel left out? And what about the Duster and Terrano?

No rigid opposition to what your saying...

But Storme, duster and terrano are surely not in this segment. Even the scorp you can keep out because its a jugaad 7 seater

But the xuv does come with the reasonable third row, it is in the price range, so its kind of a close exclusion on your part

Interesting to see that the Lodgy is winning the polls at this early a stage and it is obvious why.

The Nissan Evalia is now completely killed by its own distant relative the Lodgy (which is similarly priced but seems a lot more premium).

The Honda Moblio had failure written over it from day one.

The Xylo doesn't compete with anyone because it can seat 7 big adults in reasonable comfort and nobody else can do that. But this market is so niche and the ride is horrible enough that it doesn't have a lot of buyers.

The Mouvus might compete with the Xylo though (should be added to the polls) strictly in the taxi market.

The Aria was overpriced at launch and the bad name brand Tata has together ensure that it is basically out of the competition.

The Enjoy has always been an almost taxi-exclusive vehicle from launch - families prefer the Ertiga.

The Innova and Ertiga compete in opposite ends of the spectrum - one mostly intended for use as a larger car (and for Ola, Uber, etc) which can seat 7 adults comfortably when required, another a family vehicle for 4 adults + 3 kids.

Being a monocoque diesel sipper with a proven sibling on the roads and able to compete with the Innova in terms of space, the Lodgy can take on the only two best sellers in this list - the Innova and Ertiga at the same time. This is why it is a car to watch out for.

Having said that, I personally voted for the Aria due to the safety equipment and the new Varicor 400 engine coming soon :D

voted for lodgy though ertiga was a close second. Have driven ertiga (petrol) and liked it. And i am sure it should be the best choice for a small family – two adults plus two kids and some occasional visitors.

Only concern about lodgy is ASS.

Aria will be the third; a friend has just got one and he is in love with it! Innova, though reliable, has arrogance writ large on it.

Interestingly, during a recent visit to honda, i couldn’t stop grinning when the sales person went on and on about mobilio and innova and just ignored ertiga. Well, the latest car sales figures tell the real story:D

I voted for the Lodgy and I'll be voting with my wallet too, soon! :D

Having taken into account all the cons of the Lodgy, I'm taking an informed decision to buy one as it ticks the most important box on my list: engine and drivetrain setup. I'm ready to compromise every other con just for this engine, its torque and 6 speed gearbox. If not for this combo, Lodgy would be off my list. Cruise control is icing on the cake.

Moreover, the middle and last row will be used by people who are no more than 5'8" max. Having been spoilt by the rear AC of the Ertiga (wish every car had a rear AC!), 2nd and 3rd row AC is really a good feature on the Lodgy along with cabin lamps and charge port for each row. These creature comforts are a priority as the vehicle will primarily be a highway cruiser.

My vote goes to the king of MUV's the Toyota Innova. Yes many people say its overpriced and I agree but after owning one for the past 5 years, 78k kms and counting all I can say is it was value for money. Yes not a typo I used the VFM tag in same sentence as Toyota and Innova. You have to own it to truly understand the peace of mind and versatility of this wonderful car( yes it drives like one even though it is body on frame). It has never let me down (touchwood) and it will not either. I'm a fanboy! The resale value on mine is still 75% or more than what I(my dad) paid for it!!clap:

But in all fairness I can say the Renault Lodgy has to be one that might come close to holding a candle to the innova. But going by the official review the third row does not look to comfortable for long distances and plus no adjustable second row is just a big goof up by Renault IMHO. I can vouch for the need of this nifty feature having used it many times based on the number of people travelling in the car or the amount of cargo I'm hauling. Brownie point to Renault for the wonderful 1.5 dCi mated to a 6-speed MT.

But being an existing owner would I replace it with the Lodgy when the time comes? The answer is no I would probably get the next generation Innova, however overpriced it is!!stupid:

My vote goes for the Innova.

In such polls, i generally keep price out of the equation-simple reason being that i feel when we do comparison polls, adding pricing will be adding lot of confusion.

The Innova is selling in so many numbers due to several reasons, the main ones being the superb reliability, build quality and space. My second vote would be for the Ertiga because of the good pricing, the reliability and the sales and service experience.

I will not vote for the Lodgy-not yet! I need to see how it fares once it starts running on the roads. I feel it is bit early now.

What would i buy among these? Maybe i will put my money for the Ertiga! Because the Innova is priced too high for my budget.

If I wanted a taxi for 5/6 friends to travel together say Goa, I would certianly pick the Innova, it is fuss free and a complete taxi, no need for high speeds or extra creature comforts. If I were to own a MPV (shudder the thought) I would look at the Aria, it is definitely the most SUV of the lot.

If I'm right, the Tavera is still alive. Should it be an option?

Just to digress a bit:

This poll and its results (as of this writing) remind me of one of the earlier polls on C1 sedans where the Tata Zest won by a huge margin. But today, the news on Zest sales does not quite match the poll results. That could imply the following:
1. People voted based on reviews, but see/touch/feel/sniff test on the car discouraged
2. Those who voted were unlikely to purchase a car anytime soon
3. Change of mind due to unforeseeable reasons

Would it provide for a different perspective if the following questions were added?
1. Have you seen in flesh/test driven all cars in the poll
2. Have you test driven the car you voted for
3. Do you plan to purchase a car within the next six months
4. Top two/three reasons for your selection

Precisely for the positives mentioned, I choose the Toyota. And to answer the questions above:

1. Have you seen in flesh/test driven all cars in the poll
No, test driven all except Lodgy, Evalia, Enjoy and Aria

2. Have you test driven the car you voted for
Yes

3. Are you likely to puchase a car in the next six months
No

4. Top two/three reasons for your selection
- Reliabile and trouble free nature
- Toyota service
- Looks a proper MPV (as opposed to a wannabe MPV)

I'm no expert at designing polls/questionnaires, just trying to see how best we could get a result that will match reality, at least for 2015. Thoughts welcome.

I hope the Lodgy does well. We really need more bestsellers in the market for the market itself to grow and flourish.

Personally I would prefer the Xylo and have voted for it (yes I own a Xylo).
Except for boot space (which design decision killed the vehicle in my opinion) I submit that there is nothing else wrong with it.
I certainly do not find ride quality either bouncy or unsettled nor the steering numb as seems to be stated in the review. Yes with the higher center of gravity one needs to watch out while taking turns at high speeds (though true for every vehicle with high center of gravity).

I really hope Lodgy is a hit so that manufacturers like Toyota stop over pricing their vehicles. My nod is definitely for the Lodgy.

I voted for the Innova since it is a purpose-built MUV, not a stretched budget car platform seeking to wear bigger trousers. The only other full MUV I would consider would be the Aria, and if I were on a budget it would be the Ertiga.

Ride and handling aside, the Renaults in India reek of 'built to a cost' and feel very flimsy and cheap. Call me old school, but there is also no replacement for displacement - give me the gruff Toyota 2.5 diesel any day over the 1.5 which seems to feature in everything from cheap hatchback to cheap SUV to panel van and mini-truck.

Voted for Lodgy. Given the price point and considering how the Duster has proved itself, I would have bought a Lodgy if I had to buy an MPV. But I am hoping that the new ARIA when launched will trump the Lodgy (hope is the best I can do)

Voted for Aria not because i own it but after checking out the Lodgy at the nearby showroom. If i was in the market today buy an MUV it will be the Aria since Lodgy although rides well but falls short in overall space in the 2nd,3rd row as well as boot space. The Lodgy like Ertiga and Mobilio is meant for smooth open roads and can`t be taken off road. I like to drive tall vehicles because they are comfortable at night time when the oncoming headlights don`t hurt your eyes. The Innova is the only real alternative to an Aria but looking at the safety features, F.E and overall value the Aria pure LX trumps it at 10.72 laks on road which i paid for it on september 30th 2014.This price includes silver AMC for 3 years and 45000km which means zero service bills till that period.clap:

Voted for Tata Aria, not because I own it, but because it is a very underrated product. Tata's intial pricing did kill it off, but I and my dad were against the Innova due to the near saturation point it has reached. And after 3.5 years and 95k kms, our decision has been justified. It is well built, feels solid, and all that weight actually gives you confidence. The FE is also not bad as well with me getting ~13 kmpl from it in the city. And the power to be unleashed when on the highway, drive it to believe it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 3683845)
Call me old school, but there is also no replacement for displacement - give me the gruff Toyota 2.5 diesel any day over the 1.5 which seems to feature in everything from cheap hatchback to cheap SUV to panel van and mini-truck.

Bro, I am no Renault fan boy or Toyota basher. But seriously, what Toyota charges for the old depreciated lump of iron called the 2.5 D4D mated to that horrible truck like 5 speed gearbox is criminal. Even the Tata 2.2 Varicor offers better output and refinement!

You need to live with that 1.5 dCi Renault engine before you diss it. Many summers ago I drove a Kangoo van for a few weeks and fell in love with its tractable nature in stop go traffic and 22 kmpl fuel economy. Toyota is ripping off the Indian customers and if you choose to ignore that there are now better alternatives, you'll persist in being the victim. Toyota has always treated India with far less respect or seriousness than it deserves - Exhibit B, the Hideous sedan and the Liver hatch. Another thing, check out what vehicles the 2.5 D4D powers round the world... Not too different from the 1.5 dCi!

On a recent visit to Philippines I was shocked to find that the Corolla they sell there is far better quality and spec as compared to the one with recycled buckets they sell here!