Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What's your pick from this 4x4 choice?
Mahindra XUV5OO 130 34.57%
Mahindra Scorpio 33 8.78%
Tata Safari Storme 154 40.96%
Tata Aria 15 3.99%
Renault Duster 44 11.70%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 04:19   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is there any real long term ownership reports on these vehicles? Let's say, one or two lakh kilometers?
I believe the engine in Tata and M&M are the same, aren't they? The 2.2 AVL Austrian unit having different tunes & mappings.

Fairly reliable, yet to spot a XUV or Storme stranded and they both sell close to 50 units at my place, XUV having the upper hand in sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Agreed. But where are good roads in India?

I have traveled half of Maharashtra. Most of the roads are in pathetic condition including Pune-Bangalore highway.
And they continue to deteriorate, with overloaded trucks, very heavy traffic movement and the way roads are build. Not just Maharashtra but a lot of places.
Old 16th May 2016, 08:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
How good are the side facing seats in the Storme for adults?

Some people dont want a "real SUV". They just need a comfortable 7 seater maybe!

Some people may need something fancier than the Innova. And they may not want a "real SUV". Those may choose the XUV!

I infact find the XUV's ride to be flat and good at highway speeds, better than the Storme which rolls like an elephant as soon as it sees a corner.

Point is - perceptions, expectations and choices vary my friend.
Exactly my friend, you said it well, perceptions. The jump seats in the storme are pretty useless, no one will ever speak about it, it's the xuv seats and the people deciding to buy xuv on the pretext of front facing rear seats, which are also pretty useless for even a mid size adult and when they are up, forget to put even a small travel bag.

Yes also you said well, some may want people mover and not the real suv, that is where we all should stop comparing the two vehicles, storme moves people very well on it's five seats and also is capable of offroading with a rwd chassis and a transfer case with high low ratio.
I would have clearly said xuv is better on road if the suspensions were better and the jumping jack feeling was not there.
And the exaggerated perception that storme handles like elephant is totally wrong, yes the dicor is an elephant, I owned one, but the storme with double wish bone , coil over springs perfect suspension set up, doesn't roll or pitch at all. It's very stable at pretty high speeds on the highways and you can take curves at pretty high speeds. The best part of it being it's not a jumping jack.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 09:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
And the exaggerated perception that storme handles like elephant is totally wrong, yes the dicor is an elephant, I owned one, but the storme with double wish bone , coil over springs perfect suspension set up, doesn't roll or pitch at all. It's very stable at pretty high speeds on the highways and you can take curves at pretty high speeds. The best part of it being it's not a jumping jack.
Whatever we are comparing here is relative, right?

When you say the XUV's ride is poor, it is in comparison to the Storme if I am correct. Because I am pretty sure the XUV rides better than the Tavera, Xylo, etc!

Similarly, when I say the Storme rolls, it is in comparison to the XUV. The Storme may roll lesser than a Tata 407 (for sure) but when compared to the XUV, it surely does not feel as planted on the corners.

Yes, I have driven both (though not the Storme Varicor 400) and I will be far more comfortable taking the XUV out on the highways. Simply because the XUV feels more planted and settled. Of course, that is just my observation as every person has a different style of driving too.

Overall, I prefer the XUV over the Storme simply because it offers a good balance of ride and handling.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 09:13   #94
Senior - BHPian

People who haven't driven the latest storme in hills need to drive one. It no longer is the elephant. Steering is direct. Suspension especially the rear is stiff and the whole thing balances beautifully.
After numerous trips to the hills it's become our favourite ride. More than the civic and the swift which are handling masters on their own.
I have driven the XUV and the Scorpio quite extensively before putting my money on Tata again and I found the XUV to be outright pathetic with even multiple speed-breakers breaking its ride and making the rear go sideways.
I found the Scorpio to ride more pliant than the XUV. Though the rebound on its suspension still needs to be sorted out as that is what gives it the bouncy ride.
One of the major reasons for leaving the Scorpio was the very very bad quality interiors.

If you look at the storme's suspension, they have given it the right dose of damping to keep it from bouncing. I have owned two previous versions including the 3L and 2L versions and they were outright elephants. This one is super nimble.
TD one and try lane changes. I have been doing that. Spot a gap- shoot! It's left people gaping with a few people asking me what mods have I done to make it accelerate so quick and change directions like a large hatch.
As I have said in my ownership experience too, my wife hated the safari due to its bad ride, called it a proper truck. Now it's her favourite ride.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 09:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
If you have not booked yet, please take a long test drive both the cars for 30-40km on all kinds of roads with family and then decide.
Sure enough, I test drove both for over 50 kms. Storme was able to gobble up any hint of potholes, bad road and speed breakers without breaking sweat. However the sheer size and the high speed stability where the you try doing a "weaving through traffic" stunt, inspires zero confidence while also throwing the passengers in a tailspin. XUV manages fairly well in that aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Since you mentioned "urban jungle" and W6, you may note that now the W6 is available with the A/T gearbox. Ex-showroom price is 14.9 in Mumbai.
The mileage takes a considerable beating due to the AMT. a figure lower than 16KMPL is too low to digest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I am suprised to see people posting that xuv rides better than the storme. The rear suspension on the xuv is too soft and on every undulating on the highway it bounces couple of times exactly like the hyundai Verna.

On the contrary the storme is fundamentally a better built REAL SUV, unlike BLOATED CAR xuv. Right from the garret turbo to the siemens sensors, right from the mitsubishi ac compressor to the proper 4x4 borg warner transfer case and right from the harmon kardon car infotainment to the legendary suspensions, storme is fitted with good components from the markets manufacturers.
Xuv is just a people mover on the road, that too which provides a bouncy ride, and when it comes to people mover innova is the best.
I would advice all to drive xuv on highways with undulations with rear passengers and then take the plunge, a couple of friends recently bought the xuv and are fed up with bouncy rides. The same is quite evident on xuv niggles thread where people are fitting 35000 worth new springs at the rear to tackle the bouncy ride.
Comparing the two for ride quality is like comparing apples and oranges. A monocoque can never match the smooth ride of a ladder on frame. Having said that, the Storme still gives you the "boat" feel due to its higher CG. XUV on the other hand is a car with a bigger body. For the predominantly urban user who takes an odd two long vacations a year, the XUV fits the bill better with an easier less noisy drive. The last row is strictly for luggage (not even kids) and is to be used exactly in the manner we use an "L" shape sofa. "Corner seats not to be used unless you have a crowd at home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Agreed. But where are good roads in India? If roads were like Bahrain in India, I would have preferred Honda City than XUV for pure driving pleasure.

I have traveled half of Maharashtra. Most of the roads are in pathetic condition including Pune-Bangalore highway.
IMO these roads are fairly decent. Having spent most my life in the state of Bihar where poll promises of roads as smooth as Hema Malini's cheeks would actually translate into Om Puri's cheeks quality, I dare not call these as bad roads. There is obviously a scope of improvement to match up with international standards.
Old 16th May 2016, 10:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Steering is direct. Suspension especially the rear is stiff and the whole thing balances beautifully.

TD one and try lane changes. I have been doing that. Spot a gap- shoot! It's left people gaping with a few people asking me what mods have I done to make it accelerate so quick and change directions like a large hatch.
People who hate the TATA brand will not even consider looking at Storme in a positive angle, and will never know what exactly they are missing as mentioned by you. My Aria was the first vehicle to be billed by my dealer in the new divided state of Andhra Pradesh.
And for a believer like me in the TATA brand I had to awnser a lot of uncomfortable questions from the least expected of sources. For example the HDFC bank agent is bewildered by my choice and asks me why I did not go for an XUV, and at times like that I had hard time keeping myself calm.
The thing is a vast majority of the general public are scared of the TATA brand because of the social scenario around you, and I can tell you it's much tougher in a small town.
Navpreet I can relate to what you are saying as I completed a round trip from Vijayawada to Bangalore in 2 days and 1500km driving alone, no fatigue at all.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 10:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Navpreet I can relate to what you are saying as I completed a round trip from Vijayawada to Bangalore in 2 days and 1500km driving alone, no fatigue at all.
Absolutely. I forgot to mention about the fatigue part. We did a 4300kms 11 day trip from Dehradun to Puri via Kolkata in March. Super comfort. Infact on day 1 we did 1075 kms and reached Varanasi.
Super comfort. Amazing pace and poise.
Came back and it was back to work the very next day without any fatigue.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 10:59   #98
BHPian

I was just wondering what if Hexa was also part of this poll. I have decided on going for it unless TML really messes up with the pricing. If I have to sell my Aria it will be only for Hexa. It's not that I cannot afford a 20lak plus car but I am a sucker for ride/handling and braking as I tend to push my vehicles with in limits.

Last edited by damodar : 16th May 2016 at 11:08.
Old 17th May 2016, 20:12   #99
BHPian

May i Add another Name to this list - D-Max V Cross? Was trying to find a Thread that has a What-Car Comparison. But maybe it's too early! I'm not an avid off roader by any standards, but couldn't say no to this amazing butch with acceptable interiors and finish when i saw the car yesterday (and booked it too!). Add Isuzu's performance and reliability internationally, it surely is a VFM at that price. Would welcome views from the other SUV owners...
Old 18th May 2016, 08:32   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
Thanks n.devdath and Affalterbach (whose post has mysteriously disappeared from the page). I have indeed finalised on the XUV. Safari was reluctantly pushed out of the choices not because it had anything drastically going wrong with it. Just that the urban jungle that we live in makes XUV a much practical vehicle. Comfort levels are better in XUV and the excessive gadgetry make it a compelling buy in the same manner as the Hyundais.

The only negative with the Safari was the body roll, which was a bit too much for me to handle coming from the super well seated Punto.

Planning to book the W6 in a couple of day's time for the controversially bright Sunset Orange color.

Fingers crossed.
Good to hear Travelator that you have finally made a decision! Glad my post was of help to you, which got deleted by the Moderator as it was Fan Boy/ Biased message I only detailed my experience though...
Anyways, I guess given the usage for travelling within Urban roads, XUV will serve the purpose. And yes the monocoque Chassis brings in more car like dynamics for the XUV which is not the case with Storme. But, I have voted for the Storme due to it's improved ride, driving experience, new engine and the fit/finish, which is my preference. And whatever changes TATA has done to the new Storme is more functional(40% stiffer chassis, changes to cylinder block, cylinder head, injectors, pistons, main bearings, timing belt and turbocharger), and nothing on the inside - which might not be to everyone's liking (Doesn't tick on all boxes).
But do share your experience from Booking - Delivery (Sireesh Auto?). This will be quite helpful to understand if Mahindra's Customer relationship has improved. Still waiting to hear if someone has purchased a TATA vehicle in the last 2 months and share the same.

Cheers!
Old 18th May 2016, 10:52   #101
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Absolutely. I forgot to mention about the fatigue part. We did a 4300kms 11 day trip from Dehradun to Puri via Kolkata in March. Super comfort. Infact on day 1 we did 1075 kms and reached Varanasi.
Super comfort. Amazing pace and poise.
Came back and it was back to work the very next day without any fatigue.
Dear Navpreet,
I have done several trips in my Indica Vista
8 days-3000km, reached home at 2 AM and could go to office next day at 9.30 AM
16 days- 6000 km, went to office very next day
25 days-7500km
not to mention Bangalore-Vizag trip 1100 in 21 hours with no fatigue next day

My ARIA
8800 km in 25 days( bangalore-Leh-Bangalore) without any fatigue
2920 km in 10.5 days recently across southern Tamilnadu and Kerala

What i like in these cars is ride quality. one can ride several days without much fatigue
Old 15th October 2016, 20:46   #102
BHPian

Bored of driving, need a SUV again to reclaim my life. Help me.

Hello all fellow bhpians.

I tried to avoid posting since I thought it is silly , it is strange and a question which may have multiple opinions, but then again today I realized I had to put forth my confusion, my query ,my unrest to a position from where on I can take a reasonable decision which can bring back the smile on my face which I have lost since the past 6 months.

I am a 33 year old guy with a 9 A.M. to 6 P.M job at around 20 Kms. from my home who always had pure love for machines with two and four wheels be it an ATB, a sedan, a bike or a butch SUV but recently I have lost interest in driving and consider it as a part of my daily point A to B routine.

Here’s some brief and recent history to explain my confusion friends:
Year 2008- Realised my dream.
I always loved SUV’s and Bullet since my childhood.I realized my dream of owning a Safari and bought a Safari Dicor Ex in the year 2008. Kept her like a baby for 2 years ( 2008-2010) which I finally sold for the fear of its depreciating resale value. I loved her and pampered her like my child.

Year 2010- 2012- Dream replaced out of sheer fear.
Bought the reliable MUV , Innova in the year 2010 and sold it at 65k on the ODO in the year 2013, nothing much , simply I felt it lacked outright power on my highway runs. I kept the innova for 3 years and it served me loyally with no problems at all.

Since the heart talks a lot to me, I bought Safari Storme in 2013, loved its power and presence on the road. My love for cars and increasing traffic made me buy a Punto Active Diesel in 2013, some lucrative discounts helped me make the decision easier.

At the same time, there was a Figo Titanium D 2010 doing duty at our home, used for daily chores, driven by driver , carrying my folks safely for all necessary travels.
Year 2016- The year of confusion.
Figo started giving usual troubles, fan replaced, belt broke, suspension gave off etc. Thought of replacing it to make sure my folks are safe and on trusted wheels when on road. Almost finalised a swift VDI since its from a trustworthy and reliable house but a thought clicked my mind to give Punto for home owing to its sturdy built and and buy a small vehicle for me instead. Checked out various vehicles, none appealed to me since the drive of Punto is so amazing, its still hard to find something that drives so well and pliant.

Feb 2016- The Elite i20 comes into picture.
Just went for casual checking of the elite, I always loved the way she looked and how well it is put up with all the gizmos and superior interiors, much ahead then that of a punto or any other car in its segment. Took few test drives which were more dominated by the gizmos she has than the actual driving pleasure which she lacks in miserably.

Finally bought an elite I 20 Asta (O) diesel for its refined engine and all the bells and whistles she has.

The thought of keeping two high value vehicles at the same time ( Storme and elite i20 ) started bothering me and friends started guiding me to give priority to financial health rather than the love for cars. I was surrounded by a couple of such friends who envisaged that I should sell my Storme and keep the elite since it’s an all rounder and proper car with everything one can look for from a vehicle in its class. The thought of having some extra cash in my bank seemed lucrative and finally I did what I never thought I would- I sold the storme in March 2016. Saying to myself that I don’t need her anymore.
So in March, I had one lesser car which used to make me feel free, happy and in sync with my personality. I didn’t even have my Punto which is now used by my driver. The elite i20 my only car I drive now is everything one can ask from a car but it doesn’t bring a smile on my face. I have driven her for around 7k Kms. And still neither she is an exciting drive, nor a head turner.

Slowly and slowly by this day, I have lost the enthusiasm to drive. I no longer wash my car regularly, nor I feel the same pride which I felt when in the Safari Storme. I prefer to go straight to work and back. NO weekend brunch drives, no excitement to read any travelogues. Honestly, since the past few months , I stopped visiting Team Bhp since I had lost all interest in cars which I once had. Even my doctorate topic is based on cars and I am loosing enthusiasm in carrying it forward as earlier.

I now see SUV’s on road and miss the drive and feel of one, seeing a Safari makes me feel happy and sad at the same time.

October 2016- Thought of a pre owned SUV backfired.

Finally a couple of months back I felt really restless and started searching for a pre owned Safari which can help me feel better and bring me back on track. Searched many dealers and OLX rigorously to find a good deal which to me is a well maintained car which has no major issues.

Saw many ads put by people with claims like “ brand new condition” ,“showroom like new” etc. which on physical inspection were all dubious and heavily exaggerated. Many had false meter readings, steering issues, suspension problems, black smoke, painted panels and it is really hard to find a safari Dicor post 2012 since the launch of Storme.

Present Day:
Ifeel tired, silly and guilty of selling my pristine condition vehicles, flawlessly maintained and looking for a 2nd hand deal as good as mine were always. I miss my love for cars, love for driving. I only have a few interests and Cars and music is one of them which I relish the most when in combination. Every night I sleep with a thought of owning a car which doesn’t touch the chords of my heart like earlier and then I console myself by saying I have substantial cash in bank in return of the same.

Visit to TATA and Mahindra dealership:

Just visited Mahindra and then a Tata dealership out of sheer curiosity and test drove the Scorpio s10 and Safari Dicor recently.

Test drive feedback of Scorpio S10:
Drove her for around 6 Kms., felt cramped, under powered and didn’t feel excited at all. Looking at the Scorpio sales chart I was unable to understand why so many people have bought the vehicle. Though it delt considerably an improved product over the earlier scorpio, it didn’t touch my heart and I rather wanted to move out from the vehicle ASAP.Gave my feedback to the SA who rather looked convinced and said the same feedback comes from many previous Safari/Storme users.

The Dicor Experience:
It was like Dejavu, she made me feel happy for all the time I held her hand, made me feel alive. She said amidst all the chaos of life and everyday increasing traffic, driving is fun, it’s something to cherish, to be joyous of and take pride in.
Asked about the price and came to know that the prices have increased substantially, owing to multiple and aggressive taxes levied in my state.

I think of selling my elite I 20 and buying the dicor again, but it will be a big loss of money for selling 5 months old vehicle.

I also think of keeping the Ei20 and buying a brand new Dicor till eternity since I feel it is my real love. The only thought that pulls me back is a substantial amount which I will have to sacrifice for the same.
If I plan to keep the vehicle for a long duration, will it matter whether I buy a Safari or Scorpio, since I know Scorpio commands higher resale value and is in sync with today’s preferences of people, I still do not want to take a hasty decision.

I really need the advise of my fellow bhpians, my experts and brothers to guide me in this regard. Help me find peace and let me come out of this situation once and for all. I need your valuable inputs people and I always felt silly to ask the same just until now when I test drove the Dicor. Relying on you dear bhpians.
NST440 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 21:51   #103
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bored of driving, need a SUV again to reclaim my life. Help me.

You have already answered your dilemma. Go ahead and buy the Safari Storme varicor in 4X4. And your thread title, reclaim your life happens with a Safari only.

You live only once

Comes from a very satisfied 4WD S10 owner

Last edited by Sheel : 15th October 2016 at 22:14.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 21:56   #104
BHPian

Re: Bored of driving, need a SUV again to reclaim my life. Help me.

NST440, brother. All throughout your post, i could almost feel the sadness within you. You selling and buying and reselling your car. I can understand this has been a traumatising and emotional experience for you. I had the old Safari, the one in 2008. Never really drove it, but the chauffeur who took me around was in love with it. So I don't feel the love you exactly feel with your Safari, but I can understand as the decision to sell my Baleno, the sedan, was nearly heartbreaking for me. These cars are like the sweet enchiladas to our freedom. Almost as if you are a maximum security prisoner itching to feel the wind on your face again. The beach, the breeze; paradise on wheels. The smile on your face, the grin ear to ear. Writing this is making me all too nostalgic. But I don't sincerely feel you should sell your i20 for a new Dicor. Not yet.

You have the Punto still at home which the driver drives around. Wait until this baby gives up on you. Then delegate the i20 to your driver and then buy the Dicor. I'd suggest looking at other cars, within 15 lakhs you could get a few more cars. But perhaps none like your baby girl, the dicor. I guess your punto is good for another 2-3 years. So wait. Financial sensibility is important. So wait it out. Once punto gives up, you go for your Dicor. Or anything else if it appeals to you. I understand the itch in your palm, the strain in your joints. But imagine how good it'd feel when you wait for a couple more years. The moment you'll finally be able to scratch that itch in your palms. That could just be worth it.

I too am a very big fan of driving. I always take my cars for a spin all by myself and enjoy the ride. Good music, sedate driving and that content feeling. But at the start of this year, I started travelling 60 kms to and fro my factory in a very bad traffic orientated city. Plus I drove the creta, not a bad car by any means, but not even remotely exciting. 2 months in, I started being chauffeured around again. Driving suddenly felt like a task. Not a hobby. It all faded away with much discontent. Then only a month ago I picked up driving again after relocating to my hometown. It all came back, the thrill, the aggression, the passion and most importantly, the love of cars. It did help that I had 6 cylinders to blow me over. But emotions don't come for a brand, they just come over and completely take you for a ride when least expected.

So to sum it up NST, wait. Don't let love ruin you, allow marriage to do that
But if finances allow you, then buy it. YOLO was i guess 2014's most used word. But I guess it's applicable today too, you only live once. But don't go broke over a car, that's just a real shame then.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 15th October 2016 at 22:00.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 08:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You have already answered your dilemma. Go ahead and buy the Safari Storme varicor in 4X4. And your thread title, reclaim your life happens with a Safari only.
Thank you @sheel the battle now is more of whether to go for a dicor or storme . Although i have driven both i am still unable to finalise one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
So to sum it up NST, wait. Don't let love ruin you, allow marriage to do that
But if finances allow you, then buy it. YOLO was i guess 2014's most used word. But I guess it's applicable today too, you only live once. But don't go broke over a car, that's just a real shame then.

Hope this helps
Thank you bro. The thing is, finances have improved and I am in a better position to go for a vehicle now. YOLO thingy is so true and I find solace in it. As Scorpio was completely ruled out, I am unable to choose between Dicor or Storme. I love the way Dicor looks and since I am looking for a black vehicle, that shade doesn't come in the Storme. Add to that, a substantial difference of around 1.25 lacs. But again on the other hand, the Storme is a newer product. Don't really know mechanical how much of an improvement it is over the Dicor.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2016 at 18:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks