Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: What's your pick from this 4x4 choice?
Mahindra XUV5OO 130 34.57%
Mahindra Scorpio 33 8.78%
Tata Safari Storme 154 40.96%
Tata Aria 15 3.99%
Renault Duster 44 11.70%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 12:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
I am not sure if I am thinking on the right lines here, and seeking advice from the cumulative knowledge of this forum. I want to buy an SUV to:
1. Move 4 adults and 2 kids.
2. The vehicle should be able to take me to some of the more difficult terrains like Spiti loop, Ladakh circuit et.al.
3. Budget ~15L
4. Monthly running of 1500 KM mostly in city
5. Monthly excursion on highways/hills

I am a middle level employee in IT (~18L PA from all sources combines, post taxes). So need to be considerate about the appetite for niggles and time required at workshops.

Should I be considering:
New Storme 400 - 4X4
New XUV 500 - AWD
Used Fortuner AWD (Run around 50K KM)
XUV is the most comfortable vehicle among the trio. It has good ride and handling, a comfortable cabin, great NVH and plenty of safety features which make it an ideal tourer and great for outstation trips. The engine is a hoot to drive as well. Your two kids can sit comfortable in the front facing last row with proper seat belts.

Also, it can take you to reasonably rough terrain like Leh, Ladakh, etc.

Only if your usage warrants difficult off roading, you can look at the Storme 400. It will be more capable off road than the XUV.

The Fortuner is a beast off road, but unfortunately is not the most comfortable vehicle on road! Plus spares are expensive.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 16:56   #77
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria

I am not sure if this tread is still alive and people still subscribed to it.

I am in a dilemma, as many others, to buy a bigger vehicle.

Requirements:
1. A BIGGER vehicle which allows me (read Wife) to pack my home along, on trips.
2. A commanding ride on the road (where autowallas better not mess in my drive path)
3. Good and comfortable drive for the next 7 yrs (as is, I will be older by the time I need to sell it off)
4. Relatively hassle free service
5. A decent "kitna deti hai" figure.
6. Higher power output than my existing Punto 75ps

My options:

1. Safari Storme varicor 400 4x2
2. XUV 500 W6

Renault Duster and family of crossovers are NOT under consideration as none of them fulfil No. 2 in the req list.

While driving the Safari is like riding an elephant, the XUV is more car like. Manoeuvrability with fancy features are better lined in the XUV.
Safari doesn't have the requirement of a road and can easily swallow the small hills that BBMP has erected on the city roads. The XUV having a relatively softer suspension doesn't like them. That in essence means a shorter life for the Safari suspension.

I personally loved the Storme and wife too approves of it but the practicality portion of the brain and the longevity parameter are tilting the scale towards the XUV.

please helpp !!
Travelator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 12:56   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
I personally loved the Storme and wife too approves of it but the practicality portion of the brain and the longevity parameter are tilting the scale towards the XUV.
Well, given your requirements, it is indeed the XUV that fits the bill better. It is more fuel efficient than the Storme (lesser weight), has a better resale value than the Storme (It is hugely successful product), handles generations ahead of the Storme and brakes better (monocoque) and is more modern product. In terms of service as well, M&M has left TML far behind, be it individual ratings or JD Power etc figures resulting in a peaceful ownership experience.

I'd say, go for the XUV and you will love the experience. The Storme is, in my opinion, a case of too little, too late now.

PS: I have driven both the vehicles over all kinds of roads, speeds and loads to say this. There is NO WAY the Storme behaves like the XUV in terms of agility, handling, steering control or pick up.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 21:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, given your requirements, it is indeed the XUV that fits the bill better..
Thanks n.devdath and Affalterbach (whose post has mysteriously disappeared from the page). I have indeed finalised on the XUV. Safari was reluctantly pushed out of the choices not because it had anything drastically going wrong with it. Just that the urban jungle that we live in makes XUV a much practical vehicle. Comfort levels are better in XUV and the excessive gadgetry make it a compelling buy in the same manner as the Hyundais.

The only negative with the Safari was the body roll, which was a bit too much for me to handle coming from the super well seated Punto.

Planning to book the W6 in a couple of day's time for the controversially bright Sunset Orange color.

Fingers crossed.
Travelator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 09:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks n.devdath and Affalterbach (whose post has mysteriously disappeared from the page). I have indeed finalised on the XUV. Safari was reluctantly pushed out of the choices not because it had anything drastically going wrong with it. Just that the urban jungle that we live in makes XUV a much practical vehicle. Comfort levels are better in XUV and the excessive gadgetry make it a compelling buy in the same manner as the Hyundais.

The only negative with the Safari was the body roll, which was a bit too much for me to handle coming from the super well seated Punto.

Planning to book the W6 in a couple of day's time for the controversially bright Sunset Orange color.

Fingers crossed.
Since you mentioned "urban jungle" and W6, you may note that now the W6 is available with the A/T gearbox. Ex-showroom price is 14.9 in Mumbai.

Nothing beats the convenience of an Automatic within city. And the XUV's A/T is very well mated to it's engine, making it a great car to drive.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Storme.

Primary reasons for me are:
1. Superlative ride comfort
2. RWD by default (Not too sure if this has any significant benefit)
3. Competent 4wd hardware (LSD, Body on frame chassis etc)
4. Mature Looks
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 13:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
In terms of service as well, M&M has left TML far behind, be it individual ratings or JD Power etc figures resulting in a peaceful ownership experience.
Tata is above Mahindra in CSI in 2014 &2015 as peer JD power CSI results.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Tata Safari Storme vs Renault Duster vs Tata Aria-screenshot_20160512132452.png  

Old 12th May 2016, 14:34   #83
BHPian

I voted for Tata Safari Storme:

1) True blue SUV - Capable 4WD, 400Nm, 200mm GC.
2) Sparsely equipped with gadgets and sensors - Less failures (IMO)
3) Current generation has better build quality - feels more abuse friendly.
4) High on torque so city driving easy - less gear shifts
5) Terrific ride quality - For me there is no room for compromise.
6) Mile-munching capability (true for some of the given options too).

Last edited by keeprevving : 12th May 2016 at 14:36.
keeprevving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:51   #84
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have indeed finalised on the XUV.
Planning to book the W6 in a couple of day's time for the controversially bright Sunset Orange color. Fingers crossed.
If you have not booked yet, please take a long test drive both the cars for 30-40km on all kinds of roads with family and then decide.

I was in same dilemma for 2 years. Test drives were undertaken for all cars from Ertiga, Xylo, XUV, Safari, Storme, Duster, ARIA and Scorpio.
Finally booked ARIA Pure LX after three test drives of 40 km each
Now my ARIA Varicor completed 36K in two years with one Bangalore-Leh trip. Never regretted the decision

Last edited by rkg : 12th May 2016 at 15:53.
Old 15th May 2016, 08:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

I am suprised to see people posting that xuv rides better than the storme. The rear suspension on the xuv is too soft and on every undulating on the highway it bounces couple of times exactly like the hyundai Verna.
Also those who are really happy seeing the gadgetry and fancy things should go a bit deeper and check the make and manufacturers of the components fitted on the xuv. Example: Rane brake pads, nippon system
The rear front facing seats are strictly for children and once those seats are up you can't keep any luggage at the back, roof carrier is the only option.
On the contrary the storme is fundamentally a better built REAL SUV, unlike BLOATED CAR xuv. Right from the garret turbo to the siemens sensors, right from the mitsubishi ac compressor to the proper 4x4 borg warner transfer case and right from the harmon kardon car infotainment to the legendary suspensions, storme is fitted with good components from the markets manufacturers.
Xuv is just a people mover on the road, that too which provides a bouncy ride, and when it comes to people mover innova is the best.
I would advice all to drive xuv on highways with undulations with rear passengers and then take the plunge, a couple of friends recently bought the xuv and are fed up with bouncy rides. The same is quite evident on xuv niggles thread where people are fitting 35000 worth new springs at the rear to tackle the bouncy ride.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 15th May 2016 at 08:06.
amit_mechengg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 10:01   #86
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Voted for the Storme.

2. RWD by default (Not too sure if this has any significant benefit)
Try driving XUV-FWD vs Storme-RWD on western Ghat roads and you will realize difference. On steep incline front wheel of XUV keep spinning not giving enough traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I am suprised to see people posting that xuv rides better than the storme.
The fundamental difference is Macpherson strut of XUV vs Double wishbone setup of Storme. Macpherson Strut was popularized by Japanese as the cost was low and it takes less space.

Remember Fiat 118 NE? Was the most comfortable car due to double wishbone setup.

Last edited by ISO : 15th May 2016 at 10:22. Reason: Addition
Old 15th May 2016, 17:37   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I am suprised to see people posting that xuv rides better than the storme. The rear suspension on the xuv is too soft and on every undulating on the highway it bounces couple of times exactly like the hyundai Verna.
Nothing to be surprised here as different people have different choices and as I have noticed, definition of a good ride also varies from person to person.

Quote:
Also those who are really happy seeing the gadgetry and fancy things should go a bit deeper and check the make and manufacturers of the components fitted on the xuv. Example: Rane brake pads, nippon system
No comments since I have not taken apart each and every component of the XUV to check the quality. At the same time, I have not inspected the Storme in detail as well.

Quote:
The rear front facing seats are strictly for children and once those seats are up you can't keep any luggage at the back, roof carrier is the only option.
How good are the side facing seats in the Storme for adults?

Quote:
On the contrary the storme is fundamentally a better built REAL SUV, unlike BLOATED CAR xuv. Right from the garret turbo to the siemens sensors, right from the mitsubishi ac compressor to the proper 4x4 borg warner transfer case and right from the harmon kardon car infotainment to the legendary suspensions, storme is fitted with good components from the markets manufacturers.
Some people dont want a "real SUV". They just need a comfortable 7 seater maybe!

Quote:
Xuv is just a people mover on the road, that too which provides a bouncy ride, and when it comes to people mover innova is the best.
Some people may need something fancier than the Innova. And they may not want a "real SUV". Those may choose the XUV!

Quote:
I would advice all to drive xuv on highways with undulations with rear passengers and then take the plunge, a couple of friends recently bought the xuv and are fed up with bouncy rides.
I infact find the XUV's ride to be flat and good at highway speeds, better than the Storme which rolls like an elephant as soon as it sees a corner.

Point is - perceptions, expectations and choices vary my friend.
Old 15th May 2016, 18:05   #88
Team-BHP Support

Is there any real long term ownership reports on these vehicles? Let's say, one or two lakh kilometers?

Couldn't find anything big apart from the old Scorpio.
Old 15th May 2016, 19:43   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

I infact find the XUV's ride to be flat and good at highway speeds, better than the Storme which rolls like an elephant as soon as it sees a corner.

I have driven the XUV AT for a pretty good distance and my observations are from an ARIA owner point of view. I understand why people love an XUV and also why some love the Storme/Aria. If you like a car like feel and can't help slowing down in corners the XUV is the vehicle for you. The feel of acceleration in the initial 0-40kmph is better in XUV some thing like what you experience in a Swift Diesel's adrenaline rush. The ride is not bouncy but it's also not settled as in Storme/Aria. That said the feel inside is way better than any car since you are seated higher similar to Storme/Aria. Where the Storme triumphs is in ride quality and the passengers will not feel the bad roads. The tar patches and poor joints on bridges are places where the Storme literally glides whereas in an XUV there are sharp movements inside but it need not be a deal breaker for some who don't drive regularly on such type of roads.
And finally Storme rolling in corners is a perception carried from the old Safari dicor and one test drive in the 400nm Storme will change that. And I suggest to test drive the 2WD version to see how far TATA has taken the ride and handling part from the first version of the Storme.

Last edited by damodar : 15th May 2016 at 19:45.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 21:36   #90
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
The tar patches and poor joints on bridges are places where the Storme literally glides whereas in an XUV there are sharp movements inside but it need not be a deal breaker for some who don't drive regularly on such type of roads.
Agreed. But where are good roads in India? If roads were like Bahrain in India, I would have preferred Honda City than XUV for pure driving pleasure.

I have traveled half of Maharashtra. Most of the roads are in pathetic condition including Pune-Bangalore highway.

Most Viewed