Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2006, 18:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are all diesel cars/suvs/muvs a strict no-no

A number of people on this forum suggest diesel only if you drive for more than 40 km a day.Are we still in the age where diesel cars mean taxis.Heard about a lot of maintainance cost arising in diesel cars which negate the benefits of the extra mileage and cost parity.

Chevrolet tavera claims a maintainance cost of only Rs 0.29/km. Toyota qualis was claimed to be very cheap in terms of maintainance costs as well.So are these muvs exceptions to the high maintainance diesel claim or is this mere fiction.

Are these muvs cheaper to maintain than the indicas,indigos and accents.

If economy is all that important to a person than power does it mean he should opt for an lpg vehicle instead of a diesel one.[the person does not drive more than 20 km a day]
Old 31st August 2006, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are people movers good as family cars as well?Especially for a person who does not drive a lot.

Which is the best family car for vehicle to be driven alone but will have to six-seven people once in a while
Old 1st September 2006, 06:48   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

that is mainly b'coz .. diesel versions of most cars cost considerably more than their petrol versions.
So if you don't drive enough .. you don't save enough to justify the initial high cost.

Also with high running .. the benefits of diesel cost saving out-weigh the refined petrol engine feel.. so then it becomes worth.
Old 1st September 2006, 10:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

@rahul, we are not against Diesel cars. My car is an Indica, and GTO, the super-admin of Team-BHP, is a proud owner of a mercedes diesel.

If you ask me, I will still advice you to look for a petrol vehicle if you are driving less than 300 kms/week. You look at GTO's post
("maintaining a mercedes in India") for a comparison of petrol and diesel mercs. The same parameters apply for all other cars too:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...enz-india.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Are people movers good as family cars as well?Especially for a person who does not drive a lot. Which is the best family car for vehicle to be driven alone but will have to six-seven people once in a while
I would like to suggest the Innova buttt, this is again parameter-based, examples:
- Innova is big car, can you expect relatively uncongested driving / parking conditions where you'd use it daily?
- How many Kms you would drive daily?
- How frequently you'd be having the family trips, at least twice a month?
Old 1st September 2006, 19:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to suggest the Innova buttt, this is again parameter-based, examples:
- Innova is big car, can you expect relatively uncongested driving / parking conditions where you'd use it daily?
- How many Kms you would drive daily?
- How frequently you'd be having the family trips, at least twice a month?

1> Congested driving and parking on certain times of the week only expected since I generally try to give the main roads a miss and travel through the less congested roads.

2> only 20-30 kms daily driving .

3>yes family trips expected atleast twice a week.

I cant afford a second hand diesel innova yet so forget a brand new one.So that is why when it comes to muvs my choice is tavera/qualis from the second hand market.
I have not been able to find a well maintained muv in the seconds market yet.So thats when the dealer came up with balenos,ikons,indigos,accents[petrol version]and NHC[pre zx model].Ikon and accent[petrol] i do not intend to purchase.Indigo too did not like it. How about the NHC[model prior to zx].

I am really confused now whether i should stick to my qualis/tavera search or find a good baleno or NHC.My main priority is that maintainance costs of the vehicle should be low.Also would like to keep the vehicle for another five-six years during which spare parts for the model should be no problem to get.
Old 1st September 2006, 20:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

As far as diesel is concerned I just love the torquey nature of the diesel engine which allows me to stay on in third gear at lower speeds.
Old 2nd September 2006, 18:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, I think you should stick with you research for a Qualis. I don't know the prevailing market situation in your place, but in Kerala Taveras are difficult to spot in the used-car market, compared to Qualis. Also look for a Bolero perhaps as it has a lower resale value than the Qualis.
Old 3rd September 2006, 17:03   #8
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
A number of people on this forum suggest diesel only if you drive for more than 40 km a day.Are we still in the age where diesel cars mean taxis.Heard about a lot of maintainance cost arising in diesel cars which negate the benefits of the extra mileage and cost parity.
I have read this before. But I think this is true of older generation diesels. Not the crdi/pd engines or some of the very new generation pre-crdi diesels.
Can anyone clarify.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks