Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 10:13   #166
BHPian

Re: Automatic 5 Seater SUV Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
Based on what I understand, you need
  • High seating so that you parents do not have to sit down, but slide in /out of the seat
  • Automatic
  • Mainly city drive car, which can occasionally make out station trip as well
  • Spacious
  • Reliable

Why not Suzuki Ertiga petrol auto?

It meets all your requirements fully, is much cheaper to buy and also can work as a 7 seater for your Hyderabad visit. Also out of all the options it would be best suited for intra-city use and also have the least Depreciation. Plus a Swift driver will be perfectly at home in an Ertiga.

Also you may consider BRV Auto. I personally have never sat in one, but have traveled in a Mobilio on which it is based. The seats in a Mobilio are not low and I expect the seating in BRV to be slightly higher than Mobilio.
I totally second this suggestion! If I recall right, you preferred SUV for its high seating. Ertiga fits the bill perfectly in this aspect, and of course all the benefits (read peace of mind!) of owning a hassle free Maruti petrol!

Here's an ownership thread for brand new Ertiga petrol from a fellow bhpian. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

Hope it helps! Happy shopping.

Last edited by naut : 4th May 2016 at 10:13. Reason: minor edits
Old 4th May 2016, 23:21   #167
BHPian

Re: Automatic 5 Seater SUV Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You have not mentioned the city you’re in, but a low-mileage used Mercedes B-Class maybe another good option to look at (http://www.mercedescertified.in/show...priceband=none)
From HYD! I'll check certified B-class as well.

Many of you suggested used CR-V for its reliability. Any certified option and reliable source for used CRV's? Ertiga looks more Van'ish, less SUV. Its a very good family ride though.

I like Honda, if not for a SUV, City would have been my choice irrespective of few shortcomings. BR-V's 4.5M length and the side look killed the deal.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm still exploring, so don't leave me hanging
Old 22nd May 2016, 00:44   #168
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

I'm in a similar box as VIPER_SRT, need an auto SUV for the wife who'd not be driving around a lot 5-7k km a year... have test driven the Creta, Duster and Baleno. Baleno rejected for low GC. Creta petrol AT is priced equal to Duster diesel AMT so is not a factor. The Duster AMT's gear shift lag is irritating but the ride is good. Creta's 6 month wait is irritating. A.S.S. is of paramount importance and Hyundai does tick the box... dont know much of Renault - any inputs?

Any recommendations/suggestions to help decide between the Creta petrol AT and Duster AMT?
Old 24th May 2016, 03:05   #169
BHPian

Voted for Creta as the leather wrapped interiors, long list of features and that mini SantaFe looks just makes the competition feel either spartan (Duster, Safari) or overdone (XUV). Yes its overpriced and the less we talk about the driving dynamics the better. But compared to the others it still feels much more contemporary.
Any reason why the BR-V is not in the list? I think the BR-V is more comparable to the others in the list than the Ecosport. S-Cross was not included as it's a butched up hatchback, but so is the Ecosport right?
Debajyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:33   #170
BHPian

Its eerie how this thread is discussing pretty much the same situation I am going through

My father in law plans to buy an SUV. Considering their age, they don't want anything tough for ingress like safari etc., however wouldn't want the very compact ones like Brezza/Scross/Ecosport. Also, for now automatic is being considered as kind of must have. Started the search with BRV but no one liked it, specially since their current ride is the 3rd gen City so back seat width was quite disappointing. Also, the 3rd row is not required as such. Ecosport interiors and overall dimensions were not to anyone's liking even though everyone agreed that its terrific value for money.

Which leaves the Creta. Needless to say, everyone was suitably impressed inside and outside. Petrol Auto would be 14 plus on road, which is a shade over the budget for him.

Then someone at his office suggested the Innova auto. He went to take a look, and is highly impressed with the space and quality. In fact, impressed enough to ditch the Creta The G variant should be 17 plus, and I'm assuming 70-80 grand to get it upto speed.

So I would like to ask the fellow BHPians, would a 4 odd lakh premium justify going for the Innova over the Creta, considering he would be having this vehicle for 6-8 years minimum? Monthly running is hardly 1K so I'm guessing petrol is not a problem (although I read Creta auto would give around 8 kmpl which is quite low). The Innova would stretch his budget quite a bit though.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by avisidhu : 10th June 2016 at 11:36.
Old 10th June 2016, 13:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

What are your thoughts?
A wise decision if he goes for an Innova. But are you sure it is 17+ on road for an automatic? AFAIK the automatic is only available in 2.8 version Innova and it should cost above 20 IMO.

Did you consider the XUV5OO W6 AT? It should be around 15+ in Chandigarh and VFM as well.

Last edited by fusionbang : 10th June 2016 at 13:12.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 14:52   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
A wise decision if he goes for an Innova. But are you sure it is 17+ on road for an automatic? AFAIK the automatic is only available in 2.8 version Innova and it should cost above 20 IMO.

Did you consider the XUV5OO W6 AT? It should be around 15+ in Chandigarh and VFM as well.
There's a G version in auto as well, which is exactly 16L ex showroom. I have been insisting on the W6 AT but scary stories by some 'experts' in the office have put him off Will drag him to the showroom once nonetheless. Yes W6 AT would be 1.5 L cheaper. But reliability is a big factor for him, 7 odd years of owning the City has spoilt him rotten

So would be better to keep the ASS experience and reliability same notch as Honda (another reason it would be a toss up between the Creta and Innova). I understand the comparison is futile considering they both are completely different products, but just want to understand if the 4L premium would be worth it over a long term period (1L odd KM, around 7-8 years, 80% City driving) with regards to the overall experience.

Last edited by avisidhu : 10th June 2016 at 14:55.
Old 17th June 2016, 16:08   #173
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster

My cousin is about replace his 85ps Duster. He is looking for a replacement and every time we go back to Duster. He loves the ride quality and has munched up couple of hundred thousand kilometres in a short span of three years. The roads that he travel is not in perfect condition, so nice ride is a priority for him. I know nothing comes close to Duster when it comes to ride quality, but Creta is a close second. My only concern is the maintenance cost. Please shed some light on maintaining Creta, or for that matter any other Hyundai.
Old 1st August 2016, 12:02   #174

Need your opinion guys...

We are planning to get a new car in couple of months. My max budget on-road is 15 Lacs (could manage an additonal 50K may be).

I was honestly considering the XUV 500, but W8 was way out of my budget and W6 didn't have Alloy wheels (which feels like a must have to me). With the additional alloys and few accessories, W6 almost touches 17Lacs on-road which is way over my budget.

The we went and had a look at the Honda BR-V. My sister already owns an Accord and we just ordered the Jazz (Delivery this week). So we had huge expectations with the BR-V. Its a flexible 7 seater and we are OK with the MPV-ish looks, but the interior is horrible. Does not give off the feeling of a 15Lac car whatsoever. So it couldn't live up to our expectations and was removed off the list.

Then we thought of the Brezza, but its 89 bhp engine just doesn't scream the power it is supposed to for the vehicle's size.

Now we are considering the Hyundai Creta SX or the Duster 110ps RXZ.

Creta while an amazing car to drive, with a much plush interior than its competitions, feels overpriced. I would have been happier if it was at least 70K lesser than what they are quoting. Being a huge hit, it is too hard to negotiate with the dealers on the price or accessories.

The duster is the most comfortable ride of the lot in my opinion, but I am not a big fan of its looks and again the interior is very disappointing.

We previously had some bad experience with Tata, so no point in waiting for Hexa or even trying to convince my family on the Safari (my car love).
Also, my dad is against pre-used vehicles, so cannot convince him on pre-worshiped Fortuners and Endeavors.

So basically, it comes down to either the Creta SX or the Duster RXZ. Which one would you guys suggest ? Am I leaving some important contender off the list?
jazi.r.88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 13:52   #175

Re: Need your opinion guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazi.r.88 View Post
So basically, it comes down to either the Creta SX or the Duster RXZ. Which one would you guys suggest ? Am I leaving some important contender off the list?
My first post in Team BHP, and I too am in a very similar situation to avisidhu, jazi.r.88 and VIPER_SRT. We're looking for a comfortable 5 seater, with ease of ingress / egress for my mom, automatic and a 15L (+/- 10%) budget.

jazi.r.88 and the others have already laid out the reasoning and several factors under consideration that are relevant for this thread. I'm adding my views here after test driving almost all of the models discussed (will post in detail about the TD experience later, with spreadsheets).

Summary: I think it makes more sense to go with the Duster RxZ than the Creta SX diesel and here is my reasoning.

+ for Creta:
  • Looks: Creta definitely looks much more modern than the Duster, and appeals to the city commuter.
  • Interior Quality and Gadgets: The quality of interiors and fitment on the Creta cannot be compared to the Duster, the Creta interiors feel like an entire category ahead.
  • Driver Visibility and Compact feel: The Creta combines the driveability of a compact sedan with the higher seating and visibility of a compact SUV in a delightful way.
  • Dealership experience: Hyundai knows its game and does a far better job at making potential customers feel good. Renault's dealership experience feels like going to the neighbourhood grocery story and waving your hands to get the shopkeepers attention.
  • Resale: The resale market for both is currently very good, but the Creta will most likely command a price premium when resold, compared to the Duster.

Neutral: Both Duster and Creta, still feel overpriced, across the model range (with due consideration to GTO's must-read Sedan v/s SUV thread), especially since they are sold for less in other markets.

+ for Duster:
  • Seating for 5: The backseat spacing for 5 in the new model of the Duster definitely better than in the Creta. The rear AC vents have been taken out in the new RxZ, the cabin feels far more airy and the middle rear seat passenger gets good back support and shoulder room. Not so in the Creta, where the middle passenger has the armrest protruding into their back, a wide transmission hump and the rear AC vent blowing right into their loins.
  • Road manners and Comfort: The Duster again scores, despite the turbo lag of the 110ps version in the city. The handling and the damping out of bad roads is again far superior to the Creta. Road humps, craters and undulations all get smoothed out to almost unnoticeable levels. The rear seat passengers in the Creta experience many more undulations and body roll. I tested out the ABS on both vehicles on the same pot holed, speed bumper filled road and the Duster felt much more reassuring. Bonus - Many Duster ownership threads speak reverentially about the Duster's off road abilities.
  • Overall seating and comfort: The Duster driver, co passenger and rear seat passengers are all more comfortable, get an airy cabin, better legroom as well as much easier ingress and egress compared with the Creta.
  • Boot space: The Duster has class leading boot space, period. Additional benefits - low loading lip, and the spare wheel is out of the way below the boot.
  • Navigation system and UI: The Duster's touch screen, navigation system and UI felt far easier and intuitive to use, compared to the one on the Creta, which feels more complex and has many menu's to traverse, needing you to pull over to achieve simple tasks, or outsource it to the front passenger.
  • Fuel Efficiency and running costs: Both the petrol and the diesel fuel efficiency numbers on the Duster are better than that of the Creta. When asked about scheduled maintenance costs, the average maintenance bill quoted for Duster was about 6.5K and 8.5K for the Creta. (Note that Duster owners report having to replace the brake pads every 35K km). Initial cost of an equivalent Duster is 1L lower than the corresponding Creta. This offsets the future lower resale.

Considering all of the above: The Duster comes across as the better choice, even if not by a lot. Having said all of the above, I strongly echo khoj's sentiment that the Jazz VX is a superb contender, even though it is not an SUV class vehicle - it meets almost all of the needs listed.
unBound is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 07:17   #176
BHPian

Same Old Question

Team - We are a family of 3, Out daughter is a little less that 3 years of age. Our ever faithful i20 Diesel has been doing its duties very well, but when we have highway drives that's when i feel it feels a bit cramped especially with parents visiting or travelling with close friends. I have contemplated renting instead of considering another car, but there is a need for a second car in the house.

Our Typical usage of the i20 strictly going by the usage in the recent past has been 23000 Kms (Annual) in the recent past (10-12K of Highway driving) rest has been in City use. Our goal is to be able to get more comfortable in the highway drives, we love exploring places by road and this is where tiredness settles in, now that said City mobility will also be integral part, most highway drives we have typically had a guest/friend/parents along so back seat space is also important.

In your recommendations - Please consider the following.

1. Generally a comfortable ride - This is normally a duster choice - but rear seat leg room is also important, I am 6.1 and normally the driver. Generally felt interiors which is were my family will be for the most part bit below par.

2. City Conditions - We live in Bangalore, in the city the car will never go over 40-50 kmph, but ability to get there quick is a big plus, so low end torque will be a solid plus.

3. Pet friendly - Now this is a new requirement, we will soon be getting a dog.

4. Service \Support - Now we go places where sometimes getting support can be tough, so please factor that in. We are currently not considering Euro's simply from part and labour cost perspective.

5. Reliability - We have been very lucky with this, any of the cars we owned never gave us any trouble in this context. but given the usage it should be better.

6. Safety - We need Abs, Airbags , Impact absorbing construct, the whole nine yards - No compromises here.

7. Life span - Typically between 5 - 7 years, i would expect an ODO mileage of 100-150K.

8. AWD or 4WD on demand also will be a plus, but not a show stopper.

9. Open for Both Petrol and Diesel.

Now i am open to both new and Old cars, if i am considering new i am open between 15-20 Lacs, for a used car my budget is 10 Lacs. On road.

We are open for Cross overs/ Small SUV's / Full Size Suv's / Pickups (if the ride is comfortable), this with either be a Diwali or a new year purchase. Will greatly appreciate your time, perspective and rationale.

Thanks for helping out.
Old 8th August 2016, 10:07   #177
BHPian

Re: Same Old Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Team - We are a family of 3, Out daughter is a little less that 3 years of age.
Our goal is to be able to get more comfortable in the highway drives, we love exploring places by road and this is where tiredness settles in,
back seat space is also important.
6. Safety - We need Abs, Airbags , Impact absorbing construct, the whole nine yards - No compromises here.
Somehow I feel XUV5OO is the vehicle for your need. Scorpio would be tad compact for your height.

W4 or W10, each variant is loaded with all basic safety requirements. Kudos to M&M in this department. It'll be a slightly bigger vehicle for your regular city drives, but I guess this can be managed.

And since a petrol variant is also on the cards, you may check that as well.
revharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 10:45   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If you want something more compact than XUV500, the 2WD variant of Duster is a good bet - it is very dog friendly thanks to the 500 litre boot space.

If you remove the parcel tray, the dog can comfortably chase its own tail at the back. It won't be able to stick its tongue out of the window though.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 11:44   #179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazi.r.88 View Post
We are planning to get a new car in couple of months......So basically, it comes down to either the Creta SX or the Duster RXZ. Which one would you guys suggest ? Am I leaving some important contender off the list?
If you are uninterested in a soft-roader's AWD capability (which is what I expect many soft-roader/cross-over owners are looking for) then I guess the Creta should be fine for you. On the other hand if you are so inclined, then your choice is between the Duster & the XUV, among the contenders being discussed

Quote:
Team - We are a family of 3, Out daughter is a little less that 3 years of age. Our ever faithful i20 Diesel.......

.........Thanks for helping out.
Nice to see more mention of pets as travelling companions! We have been travelling with our pair of boxers over fair distances (1500 -3000 kms per trip) for many years now (since 1997) and have found our 2004 Scorpio dependable & accomodating (my thread "Naukuchiatal - far from the madding crowd" of 13th March 2015 - gives a fair idea). Hope to be changing soon - for another Scorpio!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th August 2016 at 13:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi quote option (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts together. Thanks!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 14:08   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Team - We are a family of 3, Out daughter is a little less that 3 years of age. Our ever faithful i20 Diesel has been doing its duties very well, but when we have highway drives that's when i feel it feels a bit cramped especially with parents visiting or travelling with close friends. I have contemplated renting instead of considering another car, but there is a need for a second car in the house.

1. Generally a comfortable ride - This is normally a duster choice - but rear seat leg room is also important, I am 6.1 and normally the driver. Generally felt interiors which is were my family will be for the most part bit below par.

2. City Conditions - We live in Bangalore, in the city the car will never go over 40-50 kmph, but ability to get there quick is a big plus, so low end torque will be a solid plus.

4. Service \Support - Now we go places where sometimes getting support can be tough, so please factor that in. We are currently not considering Euro's simply from part and labour cost perspective.

5. Reliability - We have been very lucky with this, any of the cars we owned never gave us any trouble in this context. but given the usage it should be better.

7. Life span - Typically between 5 - 7 years, i would expect an ODO mileage of 100-150K.

8. AWD or 4WD on demand also will be a plus, but not a show stopper.

Thanks for helping out.
Why not look at the EcoSport AT. Given your needs seems to be the best option

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks