Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 17:11   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is a worthy Ecosport upgrade?

@civicsense,

Apart from warranty getting expired, is there any other reason for the upgrade? If this is the sole reason then I am sure keeping the Ecosport would be a better option
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 17:16   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

The Creta comes close, but I can't seem to trust Hyundai's build. The Yeti is priced out of my budget. The Duster is too crude. The Brezza is a Maruti.

Am hearing rumors about the Jeep Compass and Ford Kuga but no concrete news yet.

Are there any other alternatives within the 15-20L price bracket?
There are no major issues with Hyundai's build, as far as I Know. Can you mention what exactly is bothering you in build department.

Kuga is a competent product. But seriously, there is no proper news of it launching anytime soon in the Indian market.

Is your search limited to sof-roaders only? If not, you can consider the big boys XUV/Hexa.
If you can stretch your budget a little, you can get a petrol Tucson.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 17:31   #198
BHPian

Quote:
My Ecosport is nearing its warranty expiry (4 years) and its time to look for an upgrade, probably in another year. Problem is, I can't find a worthy alternative.

The Creta comes close, but I can't seem to trust Hyundai's build. The Yeti is priced out of my budget. The Duster is too crude. The Brezza is a Maruti.

Am hearing rumors about the Jeep Compass and Ford Kuga but no concrete news yet.

Though not completely in your shoes; however I can understand your sentiments being an Ecosport owner myself.

Since you are planning to change your ride in another year or so, may I suggest waiting for the Tata Nexon? Looking at the recent launches from Tata and the spy pics / Geneva pics, Nexon seems to be a decent effort and might have all the bells and whistle's Ecosport looses out on!

As regards with the Hyundi Creta (Petrol), I had an opportunity to drive it for around 1400 KM on Lucknow-Silvasa circuit. Though not outstanding, but I would surely rate it good numbers based on my personal experience. I sincerely feel it deserves a second look. The only downer for me is the pricing.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 18:18   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If you could wait Nissan Kicks could be a good buy. Ive seen it here in person and its outstanding. It compete with the Ecosport and even betters it in few areas. Cant think of any other car.
Is it based on the Duster platform?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Check the suspension once. If your use case involves extensive driving over bad roads with someone in the rear seat, then creta is simply too bouncy. I'm evaluating ES & Creta and I held back my Creta booking cheque after a 40kph drive over a battered quarter mile. It's okay for the driver. The passenger may never forgive you though esp if you have plans to take it to Leh or such.

The tire pressure was set to manufacturer spec before the drive btw.
As someone who suffers from vertigo, I think I'd be better off travelling in a Ford than a Hyundai. But then drivers are seldom affected, and I only take the driver's seat, the Creta can still be a contender. And yeh, I don't like bouncy suspensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Believe the Creta is decently safe when compared to other offerings in the price bracket it falls in. I would say build quality, fit and finish was never an issue with any of the Hyundai offerings.
Two things - the way the i10 crumbled in GNCAP test and that Hyundai didn't reveal Creta's kerb weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
How about the S-Cross 1.6? Should be a good upgrade performance wise, not sure looks wise
I don't mind the looks half as much of the fact that it is a Maruti.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Seems like you don't want to consider full sized SUV's.

The smaller SUV's have been rejected by you.

That leaves you with the Tucson and the HR-V, which may be launched this year.

If you can stretch your budget, you can go for the base Tucson. Though, it will definitely feel like a downgrade in terms of features(if you have a Titanium or Titanium+). The other option is to wait for the HR-V. If not the top variant, then one below top variant should mostly fall within your budget.
I like the Tucson, I am more on the 15 side of the 15-20L range. 23L would be too much of a stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
@civicsense,

Apart from warranty getting expired, is there any other reason for the upgrade? If this is the sole reason then I am sure keeping the Ecosport would be a better option
No, not really. And maybe that at 5 years the Ecosport would become an oldie. Seriously, the Ecosport has until now been trouble free. But I do want something better - a more powerful engine, better steering, better headlights etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
There are no major issues with Hyundai's build, as far as I Know. Can you mention what exactly is bothering you in build department.

Kuga is a competent product. But seriously, there is no proper news of it launching anytime soon in the Indian market.

Is your search limited to sof-roaders only? If not, you can consider the big boys XUV/Hexa.
If you can stretch your budget a little, you can get a petrol Tucson.
No large cars for me. Else, I'd have gone ahead and bought a D-Max at 15L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Though not completely in your shoes; however I can understand your sentiments being an Ecosport owner myself.

Since you are planning to change your ride in another year or so, may I suggest waiting for the Tata Nexon? Looking at the recent launches from Tata and the spy pics / Geneva pics, Nexon seems to be a decent effort and might have all the bells and whistle's Ecosport looses out on!

As regards with the Hyundi Creta (Petrol), I had an opportunity to drive it for around 1400 KM on Lucknow-Silvasa circuit. Though not outstanding, but I would surely rate it good numbers based on my personal experience. I sincerely feel it deserves a second look. The only downer for me is the pricing.
Creta is still a contender.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 18:25   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't mind the looks half as much of the fact that it is a Maruti.

I like the Tucson, I am more on the 15 side of the 15-20L range.

But I do want something better - a more powerful engine, better steering, better headlights etc.
It is the most unMaruti Maruti that I have driven (having owned the swift, esteem, SX4). Have driven 13500 kms on my S-Cross and it feels well built and looks like it will last. The part sharing of the power windows, steering etc. with the Swift is a downer and is completely unexpected in a 15L car.

It also falls bang in your budget. Engine is powerful or rather brutal especially on the highway. Pretty much drivable in the city as well. Steering feedback is fine, though I suppose it wont be as good as the Ecosports'. The headlights though are inadequate for highways, especially considering that they are projectors.

My suggestion, take a test drive, the 1.6 alone might hook you in. It did for me
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 19:03   #201
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
My Ecosport is nearing its warranty expiry (4 years) and its time to look for an upgrade, probably in another year. Problem is, I can't find a worthy alternative.

The Jeep Compass is definitely launching in July -August. That should be worth a wait. Hang on till then, check out the Compass and then take a call.
I have heard that their 9 speed auto had reliability issues in the Cherokee initially and have no clue if Jeep has it sorted. Let's wait and watch. It will look and feel a class above the Creta et all and probably priced a good 3-6 lakhs more. Also you can check out the Hexa if TATA interests you.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 11:23   #202
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The Jeep Compass is definitely launching in July -August. That should be worth a wait. Hang on till then, check out the Compass and then take a call.
I have heard that their 9 speed auto had reliability issues in the Cherokee initially and have no clue if Jeep has it sorted. Let's wait and watch. It will look and feel a class above the Creta et all and probably priced a good 3-6 lakhs more. Also you can check out the Hexa if TATA interests you.
I think the Compass will be in the Hyundai Tuscon price bracket or thereabouts and not in the Creta range.
I can feel a certain empathy with civic-sense's dilemma. The Ecosport is a difficult vehicle to replace at a certain price bracket given certain preferences/priorities.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:50   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it based on the Duster platform?
Yes the duster platform but inside its as cramped as the Ecosport, maybe slightly larger. Took a few pics for your convenience.
Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others-kicks1.jpg

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others-kicks2.jpg

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others-kicks3.jpg

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others-kicks4.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2017 at 15:56.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 16:41   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
It is the most unMaruti Maruti that I have driven (having owned the swift, esteem, SX4). Have driven 13500 kms on my S-Cross and it feels well built and looks like it will last. The part sharing of the power windows, steering etc. with the Swift is a downer and is completely unexpected in a 15L car.

It also falls bang in your budget. Engine is powerful or rather brutal especially on the highway. Pretty much drivable in the city as well. Steering feedback is fine, though I suppose it wont be as good as the Ecosports'. The headlights though are inadequate for highways, especially considering that they are projectors.

My suggestion, take a test drive, the 1.6 alone might hook you in. It did for me
Trust Maruti to de-engineer any car it sells here. Hope GNCAP tests the S-Cross soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I think the Compass will be in the Hyundai Tuscon price bracket or thereabouts and not in the Creta range.
I can feel a certain empathy with civic-sense's dilemma. The Ecosport is a difficult vehicle to replace at a certain price bracket given certain preferences/priorities.
If the Compass breaches the 20L barrier I'd leave it behind.

Yes, the Ecosport is a difficult car to replace. If the facelift arrives with a better engine, taut steering and better lights, I wouldn't mind a second helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes the duster platform but inside its as cramped as the Ecosport, maybe slightly larger. Took a few pics for your convenience.
It looks good, except maybe the grill. A bit like a Datsun Go.
Old 21st March 2017, 20:01   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust Maruti to de-engineer any car it sells here.

If the Compass breaches the 20L barrier I'd leave it behind.

Yes, the Ecosport is a difficult car to replace. If the facelift arrives with a better engine, taut steering and better lights, I wouldn't mind a second helping.
I think most car companies are into the de-engineering "made for India" racket.

And re the Ecosport if it only had an AWD option, it would have been a complete package for me. Not that I am into serious off-roading and the like but I've come across situations even inside the city here where vehicles have got stuck in slush during the monsoons and this feature would come in extremely handy. But I suppose us Indian users will have to wait a generation or two.
wilful is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 08:52   #206

Check out WRV 1.5 Top diesel model if looking for sub compact suv. Seems like a great option around 11 lac Drives well, roomy cabin and comes loaded with features. wrv and scross 1.3 in that price bracket seem to be the best options IMHO
Old 12th April 2017, 21:03   #207

S-Cross vs Duster vs Ecosport Vs Dmax-Vcross

Booked a Baleno Alpha petrol in November after a big elimination of family hatchback car.
Now it seems to be a big wait as the dealer is not ready to share allocation info or any specific date.

I want to get the car via CSD too to avail the discount entitled for a military personal, which this specific Nexa outlet is denying me.
So my hunt restarted again with a slightly improved budget now within 12.5L Max on road.

I need to get one of the below cars Next week itself.
This would help me to go for small trips when my parents visit me for the first time.
And this happens to be my first new car, after driving a tiny maruti 800 for almost 7 years.
I had driven a Honda amaze and an XUV W6 at my native extensively.

Eliminating the best sedans (wife hate's sedan style- poor me- snatched away the fun of that wonderful Honda city 1.5 VTEC)

I have narrowed the search to these

1. S-Cross 1.3/1.6 - yet to test drive these, 1.6 only in Alpha now would be a big stretch on the budget, but after reading @Dr.Naren 's post about his S-Cross 1.6L : Wolf Moto Remap!

2.Duster RXL/RXZ - I had driven a myles Duster (85ps- RXL or base version) for around 350-400 kms in a trip to Mahabaleshwar- Kaaz valley and back to Mumbai. I just didnot like the interiors , may be i was comparing this to the XUV W6. Both me and my FIL dinot enjoy the duster, may be because it was an abused one with odo close to 39k kms. I did like the space upgrade compared to the hatchbacks and the huge boot space.
I had taken the AWD Duster for a TD in Ahmedabad, where the sales guy quoted that the AWD is only for people who like to get dust on there cars :P.
The removal of the RXL AWD is a bummer for people like me. The new AWD would be 13L+ on road even if i get it via CSD in Mumbai (Andheri RTO).

3.FORD Ecosport -
This was one car which i craved to drive, but after a quick test drive was uninspired by the driving dynamics. The rear bench felt too cramped for 3, even smaller than an i10 Grand. Both kept me away from looking towards ford before booking Baleno.
But that 1.5 Diesel engine is a gem and the handling in high speeds is topnotch.
I guess the new face lift is coming soon by September-2017.

4.Isuzu DmaX Vcross- The master stroke truck - Do it all yourself vehicle and the only one a person like me would want.
This was one tempting offering from isuzu after looking at the Artic truck avatar of the Vcross and the tax holiday at Andra kept me drooling at it for a long time.
At 5.4m it wil be a pain to drive around in mumbai, even within Andheri/ juhu area, leave alone the parking space needed for such a truck.
But this behemoth will be put to use for the price in demands.

I'm fortunate to be with friends who encouraged me to ride to Leh solo within a year of getting my first bike.
To be at Khardung-la on the first anniversary of the bike (honda CBR 250R) in 2012 was icing on the cake.

I hope to drive this family car also to pretty much everywhere possible.

Hope to finalize on one of the above within few days.
Old 7th May 2017, 15:50   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1214 View Post
Happy to be a part of the community. This is my first post here. Looking for fellow BHP’ians advise as I am confused between S cross Zeta 1.3 (11 Lac OTR Delhi) and Eco sport TDCI (10.5 Lac OTR). I could not find any convincing polls /reviews pitting S cross 1.3 against Eco sport. S Cross 1.6 pitted against the likes of Creta, Duster gets most of the attention I guess
Hi Amit,
Which car did you shortlist and finally purchased? While going through this thread I observed that your requirements were exactly the same as mine. I am in the same boat and is confused among couple of my shortlistings. Scross 1.3 (11.95), ES Titanium (10.7),ES Titanium +(11.44) and Vento TDI DSG (12.45). All figures in brackets above are OTR prices faridabad registered.
Would request you to share your views and also experts here on this forum kindly help make me and informed decision.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2017 at 15:57.
Old 8th May 2017, 20:57   #209

Hi Spoiled Bratt,

I did not find a car better balanced (overall) and more value for money than S Cross except the exterior styling is not as good as ES or others as per general opinion. (I was evaluating 1.3 Zeta - 11.05 lacs OTR, Gurgaon)

Since I am not in a hurry, I am going to wait for the face lift (due to be launched in Oct'17 as per media reports). I find the exterior styling of face lift very appealing and I hope Maruti is going to make enhancements & improvements to interior as well. There may be more engine options like petrol booster jet to choose from

S Cross has a wider front seats (People who are on little hefty side, may find ES front seats to be a tight fit) and it has better rear seat space (can seat 3 medium sized adults). I also found interior, ride and handling to be more premium than ES. Also, Maruti has the best reliability and after sales support. All these factors were important to me. However, ES is a good car too if these are not deciding factors for you. I don't think one can go wrong either way
Old 26th May 2017, 10:41   #210
BHPian

Not sure if this was covered before so apologies if this is a repeat question.

If the usage is strictly city(daily 12 kms) with occasional outstation weekend drives (~ 300-500kms) and the requirement being an auto box ,would you recommend the creta petrol over a duster amt (vice versa) ?

Budget being in the 14lakh region and no interest in a sedan

Most Viewed