Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:19   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

Check this thread - cars with flat cargo area when seats are folded down
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...argo-area.html
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:54   #227
BHPian

Re: Car that needs to be versatile - city/highway & rough roads, dog carrier & fun to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
I've had a Maruti Swift Zxi for over 10 years so feel like getting something from another stable.
Still. The s-cross is a brilliant suggestion. Or the XUV considering the budget is 18.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 23:40   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Still. The s-cross is a brilliant suggestion. Or the XUV considering the budget is 18.
Will definitely TD the S Cross. The size of the XUV makes me feel like finding street parking in the Bandra Juhu stretch 2/3 times a day will be irritating, so, unsure about that.
Old 24th July 2017, 02:22   #229
BHPian

Take a look at the upcoming Jeep compass. The base version should come within 18L OTR and I think should suit your requirements well enough. Also take a look at the creta though I feel you May not feel the space is less. Cars like nexon and kaptur are also launching so I think you should wait for a few months and then make an informed decision. Hope this helps.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 06:49   #230
BHPian

The S-Cross really is the one-size-fits-all car. Plushly appointed interiors, comfortable like a sedan, road manners like a well designed hatchback, ground clearance approaching UV territory, stacked with features, a large, comfortable cabin with great seating comfort, and ample space in the boot. It feels like a durable machine that can take a beating and, being a Maruti Suzuki car, it carries that badge of hassle free ASS that's characteristic of the company.

Where most other cars in this price range are compromised UVs, this is the premium crossover that defines the category. The problems are the lack of a petrol engine and automatic transmission, and the rather hatchback like design from the front, all of which are supposed to be addressed in the facelift model set for release this Diwali. I'd take a test drive of the S-Cross now and then wait for the facelift if I were you.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 10:37   #231
BHPian

I am wondering why no one suggested Thar. Going through all your requirements, Thar is the best suited vehicle I think. Only concern is on proper locking of the vehicle, especially when you need street parking. However with the budget that you have this is not a concern as you can always fix hard top.
Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Pradip.
pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 10:53   #232
Team-BHP Support

Revisit the Honda WRV.

Don't be deceived by the Honda's compact exterior dimensions. It's very spacious on the inside.

We have had big dogs at home (two dobermans and two regular-sized indies) and our old-generation Jazz, with its flat folding rear bench, accommodated them beautifully. It's airy cabin also helped matters.

The WRV, with its SUV-like ground clearance, large cabin and small sub-4m footprint, should suit your requirements perfectly.

The advantage lies in its split folding rear bench, which allows someone to sit and tend to the doggos. And once the seats are folded, the floor is flat, allowing ease of movement.

Also, do consider the S-Cross. And if you're willing to stretch your budget, do spring for the Jeep Compass.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 14:06   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Take a look at the upcoming Jeep compass. The base version should come within 18L OTR and I think should suit your requirements well enough. Also take a look at the creta though I feel you May not feel the space is less. Cars like nexon and kaptur are also launching so I think you should wait for a few months and then make an informed decision. Hope this helps.
Yes, I was hoping that the Jeep Compass would work for me. I looked at the compass, my dog will not be able to stand in it due to the way the roof slopes. Seats also don't fold down fully.

My other problem is that I am in a hurry because I can't take both dogs anywhere together save a short trip to Juhu beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
I am wondering why no one suggested Thar. Going through all your requirements, Thar is the best suited vehicle I think. Only concern is on proper locking of the vehicle, especially when you need street parking. However with the budget that you have this is not a concern as you can always fix hard top.
Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Pradip.
I have driven the Thar and loved it. Was worried about other passengers who will complain. (my dogs wont )

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Revisit the Honda WRV.

Don't be deceived by the Honda's compact exterior dimensions. It's very spacious on the inside.

We have had big dogs at home (two dobermans and two regular-sized indies) and our old-generation Jazz, with its flat folding rear bench, accommodated them beautifully. It's airy cabin also helped matters.

The WRV, with its SUV-like ground clearance, large cabin and small sub-4m footprint, should suit your requirements perfectly.

The advantage lies in its split folding rear bench, which allows someone to sit and tend to the doggos. And once the seats are folded, the floor is flat, allowing ease of movement.

Also, do consider the S-Cross. And if you're willing to stretch your budget, do spring for the Jeep Compass.
I drove the WRV and felt like my mudhol hound wont fit at all. He prefers standing and he's a tall dog. I didn't feel that they'd be comfortable there with the seats folded down even. Added to that, wasn't a fun enough drive for me.

I can stretch my budget to 20 lakh but checked the Jeep Compass out thoroughly at a new showroom in Nasik and I dont think both dogs would fit comfortably. Sigh.

I will TD the S Cross however. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
The S-Cross really is the one-size-fits-all car. Plushly appointed interiors, comfortable like a sedan, road manners like a well designed hatchback, ground clearance approaching UV territory, stacked with features, a large, comfortable cabin with great seating comfort, and ample space in the boot. It feels like a durable machine that can take a beating and, being a Maruti Suzuki car, it carries that badge of hassle free ASS that's characteristic of the company.

Where most other cars in this price range are compromised UVs, this is the premium crossover that defines the category. The problems are the lack of a petrol engine and automatic transmission, and the rather hatchback like design from the front, all of which are supposed to be addressed in the facelift model set for release this Diwali. I'd take a test drive of the S-Cross now and then wait for the facelift if I were you.
I put my June buying decision off to wait for Compass. I don't know how much longer I can wait. Missing out on all the fab Monsoon hikes with the doggos!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th July 2017 at 15:35. Reason: Please avoid posting consecutively. Use the EDIT and QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post instead. Thank you!
Old 24th July 2017, 15:51   #234
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
I drove the WRV and felt like my mudhol hound wont fit at all. He prefers standing and he's a tall dog. I didn't feel that they'd be comfortable there with the seats folded down even. Added to that, wasn't a fun enough drive for me.

I can stretch my budget to 20 lakh but checked the Jeep Compass out thoroughly at a new showroom in Nasik and I dont think both dogs would fit comfortably. Sigh.

I will TD the S Cross however. Thanks!
Our Dobermans were H-U-G-E! And they were quite comfortable in our Jazz. But if you've driven the WRV and found that it isn't fun, the S-Cross should take care of that. That said, I really don't think the S-Cross has the space you're looking for either.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:59   #235
BHPian

I agree. It is spacious but not flexible in the manner he describes. A better choice, then, might be the Jazz, with its ultra flexible Magic Seats, but then you don’t get any off-roading capabilities at all, particularly with those puny tires.

Quote:
I put my June buying decision off to wait for Compass. I don't know how much longer I can wait. Missing out on all the fab Monsoon hikes with the doggos!
Since you don’t much care for a petrol automatic, if you can stomach the looks, you don’t have to wait for the facelift’s launch. Push comes to shove, swap the India-spec chrome grill for the glossy black one offered in Europe, and it’ll uplift the looks quite a bit. It’ll still look like an overgrown hatchback from the front though.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 17:39   #236
BHPian

I am in the process of upgrading from SX4 to a SUV/ MUV. I have shortlisted few cars and am mighty confused, as to which one to choose. The cars which I have shortlisted are as follows ( not in the order of preference):-

(a) S Cross- Interiors are impressive for a Maruti Car and so is the mileage. The build quality and the steering looked like a sour point. Also, I don't to add up with another car like SX4 ( excellent but discontinued due to poor sales).

(b) Creta - Good looks, very responsive engine and good build quality. Confused between 1.4 and 1.6 diesel.

(c) Ecosport - Haven't checked it yet.

(d) BRV - The biggest + point is the honda drive quality. Looks (both interior and exterior are very bland).

(e) Captur - Not yet checked.

(f) Compass - The biggest + and - is the brand name.

My daily drive is between 10- 20 kms, however annual drive is around 15, 000 kms, due to road trips, that is why I have shortlisted only diesel engines . The budget is between 12 - 20 lakhs and the car is meant for me, my wife and two dogs.

Would be grateful, if I can be helped in choosing the car.
Old 25th December 2017, 23:28   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
(a) S Cross- Interiors are impressive for a Maruti Car and so is the mileage. The build quality and the steering looked like a sour point. Also, I don't to add up with another car like SX4 ( excellent but discontinued due to poor sales).

(b) Creta - Good looks, very responsive engine and good build quality. Confused between 1.4 and 1.6 diesel.

(c) Ecosport - Haven't checked it yet.

(d) BRV - The biggest + point is the honda drive quality. Looks (both interior and exterior are very bland).

(e) Captur - Not yet checked.

(f) Compass - The biggest + and - is the brand name.

Would be grateful, if I can be helped in choosing the car.
Here is my take:

S-Cross: Value for Money at the price tag as it offers all 4 disc brakes, Cruise Control, Auto Headlamps, Auto Wipers and Projectors. The engine is weak and will suffice only for sedate drivers. Also Rear AC vents are missing. Lowest in class GC of 180 mm.

Creta: Based on i20 Platform and overpriced for what it offers. No Cruise Control, sunroof etc. The high speed stability will be inferior to the S Cross. Second lowest in class GC of 190 mm. I don't recommend the Creta at all having seen the improvement the Elantra platform has done to the 2017 Verna. It is unknown if Hyundai can change the platform during the facelift - hence currently its a no-no in my opinion.

Ecosport: Sub 4 meter and can be considered as a segment lower - I would not consider this one as well.

BR-V - Borrows the Amaze dashboard layout - does not feel premium. If you need those additional row of seats then it can be considered and is the only option with this addl. row of seats from your list - else can be dropped.

Captur - Looks are subjective. Excellent class leading GC of 210 mm. Interiors are not as good as the Creta but the Renault suspension and high speed behavior is possibly unbeatable in this segment (except for the younger sibling Duster). Would recommend this over the Creta.

Compass - The most expensive of the lot. The one that offers the maximum show-off value. 170 BHP engine - from Fiat - what more can one ask? Contrary to what others have called out in other threads, I felt the rear seat of the Compass also to be more than sufficient. If you can afford it go for it

So my recommendation: On a budget buy the S Cross, middle path you can go for Captur and if budget is not a concern just buy the Compass.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 25th December 2017 at 23:42.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:40   #238
BHPian

Folks - need some help to finalise my new car and have come to this thread to see what opinions I can get.
My Ride now - 2014 Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ( 24k driven in 4 years)
Annual Usage : 6000 KM

Current Requirements
a) Mini SUV or SUV - budget not exceeding 13-14L ex show room. lower the better
b) Has to be an automatic - wife wants to join in driving and strictly automatic ( smaller foot print - read it as a small hatch back - the better)
c) Family size of 3 - 2 Adults and 1 infant ( Child seat + ISO fix mandatory)

Analysis
a) No apparent need to opt for Diesel car except the Torque and driveablility
b) Company car lease - No need to pay additional cost for Diesel car up front but in 36 or 44 weeks + Tax benefit on EMI so opting for diesel is not as bad as against what a normal purchase would be
c) Diesel cars have better re-sale values still.

Cars in Contention

a) Creta Automatic SX +

Over all a fantastic car but missing on basic MID features and other small good to have features on inside (e.g. auto dimming IRVM, Cooling glove box, moving elbow support etc.) - It makes the deal sour especially having seen it in out going car.
Lumbar support is not inspiring.
No news of new model - I can wait few months but not half a year.
Its a pricey vehicle to what it offers and resale 4 years later could be challenging, if not tad better than Petrol Automatic

b) Duster Diesel AMT

Quite a value for money proposition with AMT and manual shifting ability but looks quite dated and 4 years later can have serious resale issues considering the age gone up ahead by 4 years.
Interiors have lot to be desired and quite crude.

For both - I am not sure and need suggestions on what a new driver would be comfortable driving in city.
Resale matters in this case.

Plan B

Keep my Verna for 4 more years and buy a hatchback automatic.
In this case, I need to maintain Verna on my own ( Insurance, Service, Damages (if any) ) and also maintain another hatch back in terms of parking space, cleaning etc.
I do not get the money from selling my Verna to invest somewhere and I do not get to leverage too much of company car lease option ( Tax benefit on EMI)

PS: XUV 5OO is one car which I like personally but its again at end of its life cycle and I feel foot print would be big one for my wife to manage in city. Also heard of a lot of niggles and hence not sure of Mahindra reliability

Last edited by Cooltronics : 19th February 2018 at 12:45.
Old 19th February 2018, 12:52   #239
BHPian

If I were you with the above requirements I would go ahead with Ecosport Petrol Titanium + Automatic that comes loaded with all bells and whistles and top of line safety equipment including 6 airbags. The other option I see is Creta diesel AT but that would cost you atleast 3 to 4 lakhs more than ES. If you are ok with sedan type styling consider Verna diesel SX Automatic.
Old 27th February 2018, 19:18   #240
BHPian

Hi All,

Just came up with a comparison of High GC cars under 14 lakh ex-showroom price and reasonable space for 5 people.

Interiors (Front) - Creta >> Scross >> Captur >> Duster. - Advantage Creta due to better look and feel of the Console/ICE, higher seating position.

Interiors (Back) - Scross >> Creta >> Captur >> Duster - Advantage Scross because of higher set rear seats, airy feel and better under thigh support.

Engine Power - Creta >> Captur = Duster >> Scross. Creta has the best engine no doubt in terms of refinement & power. Thought Captur was next.

Engine Refinement/Drivability - Creta >> Scross >> Captur 110 = Duster 110

Engine Fuel Efficiency - Scross >> Creta >> Duster = Captur

Engine Reliability - Creta >> Scross >> Duster = Captur

Handling/RideBalance- Captur>>Duster>>Scross>>Creta

Braking - Scross>>Captur=Duster>>Creta - Based on the official s-cross review and other comments.

Safety - Scross = Creta >> Captur >> Duster - Advantage Scross since it has 5 stars in Latin NCAP versus the 4 stars of others here.

VFM - Scross >> Captur >> Duster >> Creta. For 11.4 lakhs OTR you get a Scross Zeta with all essentials.

Just wanted to get feedback on this comparo. Does this make sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks