Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 22:01   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Hi All,

After the price cut of 1 lakh ex-showroom the duster 85 and S-cross prices are pretty much aligned. Which car is more VFM now?

I am looking forward to hear opinions of other bhpians.

Thanks All
Old 8th March 2018, 15:32   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Hi All,

After the price cut of 1 lakh ex-showroom the duster 85 and S-cross prices are pretty much aligned. Which car is more VFM now?

Thanks All
The 1L price cut on the Duster was always there in the form of discounts.
IMO - the Duster does only one thing well over the S-Cross, which is ride and handling.
That and it has additional boot space which is a boon on long trips.

But the S-Cross has better service network, competent ride & handling, better interiors & features, etc. which is why it would get my vote.
The Duster is just too outdated in today's day and age; and unless you're getting the AWD Variant it honestly is a no-go.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 17:59   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks All
Duster anyday for me, it is one of the most reliable go anywhere SUVs. The only area I feel where they need to improve is in the over all look and feel especially the interiors but that to I believe should be addressed with the new duster being launched this year in India (by June, 2018 is what I have heard).

Anyways you can learn more about the upcoming Duster on this link:

https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/ne...-duster-18985/
Ankoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 14:42   #244
BHPian

Hi friends I need some urgent advice.

I recently sold my duster AWD which I bought in 2016. Now duster is a great car in drivability but I couldn't put up with it's sub par service and also at the time of purchase I didn't know that it has smaller airbags. Safety is paramount for me. It's a vehicle which wouldn't age well and wouldn't have got a good resale value year or two years later from now. Was offered a good price so sold it as I saw it as a good opportunity to minimise monetary loss on otherwise a quickly depreciating model.

Now I am in the market again for a new car. I am looking to keep this car for a minimum of 3 years. My 90% usage is going to be within Delhi NCR. Some weekend highway trips may come along. Now what should I buy as a replacement?I am more inclined towards a sedan this time only for the comfort it brings along. My budget is max 15 lac OTR can stretch a couple of lacs more if the option is of a great value. I am considering Ciaz, S Cross and the new Hyundai Verna. Took a test drive of Honda City diesel and it didn't inspire me. The performance is ok but NVH levels and diesel clatter is high. Yet to take the test drive of other cars. Apart from this I don't see any option in the SUV category within the same price point.

For me definition of SUV is AWD or 4wd capable vehicle. Hence not even looking at Brezza, Creta etc. Should I also look at the pre owned market for another suv or should I buy a sedan. And if I buy a sedan which one should I go for. I have been a SUV person from last 6 years. Before duster I owned the Safari Storme and Scorpio. Please advise what should I do as to move away from SUV into the sedan segment has left my mind in a confused state. Thanks.

Last edited by ampere : 24th March 2018 at 22:07. Reason: Formatted for readibility
Old 24th March 2018, 14:48   #245
BHPian

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Should I also look at the pre owned market for another suv or should I buy a sedan. And if I buy a sedan which one should I go for. I have been a SUV person from last 6 years. Before duster I owned the Safari Storme and Scorpio. Please advise what should I do as to move away from SUV into the sedan segment has left my mind in a confused state 😊. Thanks.

Hello Sir,

I suggest you look at the pre owned segment.

Under 15 lakhs, you could get an XUV, a Pajero Sport or a Fortuner.

Shifting from an SUV to a sedan will definitely be tough for you, considering the fact that you have been driving SUV’s for the past 6 years. The commanding driving position is something you will miss extremely.

We shifted from a CRV to a City last year and we really miss having an SUV, especially in India.

I feel that sticking with SUV’s will be the best choice for you.
Old 24th March 2018, 14:53   #246
Team-BHP Support

^A Storme VX 4X4 should be good for you. I will recommend that over anything at this price point.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 15:01   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
I suggest you look at the pre owned segment.
Under 15 lakhs, you could get an XUV, a Pajero Sport or a Fortuner.
Hi Prathiiik. Thanks for the feedback. Fortuner or Pajero are big ladder on frame SUV's. They aren't comfortable to drive and parking them in city is not always convenient. Reason I sold the storme and bought the duster was primarily for the driving comfort and moving to a better compact vehicle.

Also we are small family of 3 people. Me my wife and my three year old daughter. Occasionally my mother joins us for a long trip. XUV is the one which is in my mind also, thank you for suggesting it,but would appreciate some options and advise as to what will be a better choice.

Last edited by ampere : 24th March 2018 at 22:08. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 24th March 2018, 15:07   #248
Team-BHP Support

XUV won’t be as comfortable as Duster. The seats are good, suspension is not. You have very limited choices. CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Grand Vitara and Yeti. All pre-owned.
Old 24th March 2018, 15:13   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
^A Storme VX 4X4 should be good for you. I will recommend that over anything at this price point.

Hi Sheel. I had a Storme couple of year back. It was good vehicle but considering the new range of SUV's which Tata would be launching in a year Storme would be a discontinued model within an year of purchase. Also big ladder on frame SUV is not what I would choose as a daily drive primarily for two reasons, one they aren't comfortable enough and two finding parking space for them isn't always easy. Comfort with good safety features and ease of maintenance are the two important factors this time around for me for my daily drive. Also I am thinking maybe by later this year to get a pre owned suv purely for the mountain trips especially in winter. So in about 20-22 lacs total I can buy a new sedan which will serve my daily needs and a preowned suv just for occasional long tours in the hills.
P.S See how hard I am trying to convince myself that I should buy a sedan 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
XUV won't be as comfortable as Duster. The seats are good, suspension is not. You have very limited choices. CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Grand Vitara and Yeti. All pre-owned.

I agree XUV's ride isn't plush at all. Now if you narrow down on the pre owned options none of them fit my criteria of a daily drive. CRV, Outlander and Vitara are all petrol guzzlers and not suitable as a daily drive for a person who does 50-70 kms and sometimes more almost every day. Skoda Yeti is discontinued model plus Skoda ASS horror stories are enough to scare you away from their cars especially pre owned. Damn I hate this scenario of choosing a new car. So utterly confused this time around. 😊

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2018 at 21:23. Reason: Back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2018, 16:01   #250
BHPian

If you are opting Diesel, then the Verna, if Petrol, the City or wait for the Yaris. But overall, do shift to a sedan for comfort in day to day driving. There won't be any "adjustment" issues and you will enjoy the smaller footprint of the Sedan.
For that 'once-in-a-while' outstation trip, there is no need to purchase a big vehicle and be uncomfortable every day. For such outings, Zoomcars and the likes are always there.
Old 24th March 2018, 16:02   #251
BHPian

@rajamuneeb : Reading through your requirements, Scross would be a perfect fit for your city drive. You get a commanding view, enough ground clearance, you will love the ride quality and the suspension set up. For the occasional drives in the mountains you can always rent a SUV type vehicle or go for the pre-worshipped ones. Wish you all the best in your car hunting process.
Old 24th March 2018, 16:40   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
If you are opting Diesel, then the Verna, if Petrol, the City or wait for the Yaris. But overall, do shift to a sedan for comfort in day to day driving. There won't be any "adjustment" issues and you will enjoy the smaller footprint of the Sedan.
For that 'once-in-a-while' outstation trip, there is no need to purchase a big vehicle and be uncomfortable every day. For such outings, Zoomcars and the likes are always there.
Thanks Ritesh. Yes I am looking for a diesel. The top spec Verna comes with 6 airbags and that's a lot of peace of mind. Plus it's feature loaded as well. Will test drive it soon and revert back on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
@rajamuneeb : Reading through your requirements, Scross would be a perfect fit for your city drive. You get a commanding view, enough ground clearance, you will love the ride quality and the suspension set up. For the occasional drives in the mountains you can always rent a SUV type vehicle or go for the pre-worshipped ones. Wish you all the best in your car hunting process.

Thanks Keynote. Will take a look at S-Cross and test drive it as well. I have heard that the engine performance is a bit sluggish since 1.6 has now been discontinued. Is that a concern in daily traffic or in case of quick overtaking. And also if you can tell me is it considerably better than the Ciaz in terms of over all comfort. Thanks buddy.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2018 at 21:23. Reason: Back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2018, 16:56   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
For me definition of SUV is AWD or 4wd capable vehicle. Hence not even looking at Brezza, Creta etc. Should I also look at the pre owned market for another suv or should I buy a sedan. And if I buy a sedan which one should I go for. I have been a SUV person from last 6 years. Before duster I owned the Safari Storme and Scorpio. Please advise what should I do as to move away from SUV into the sedan segment has left my mind in a confused state 😊. Thanks.
I would suggest increase the budget a bit more and go for the Jeep Compass Limited 4x4. And if trying the sedan space, look for some decent options in used Jetta or Octavia. The ageing Vento TDI DSG also could fit in your budget.
Old 24th March 2018, 17:09   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would suggest increase the budget a bit more and go for the Jeep Compass Limited 4x4. And if trying the sedan space, look for some decent options in used Jetta or Octavia. The ageing Vento TDI DSG also could fit in your budget.

I was originally looking to buy Audi Q3 a VW Tiguan or a Hyundai Tucson a couple of months back but sometimes life has other plans. A little health scare set me back thinking wether it's a good option to put all ones savings into a new car. For now I am trying to listen to my mind and don't want to spend so much money on a new car. Want to keep some savings for unforeseen times. I am getting wiser Ahem. Jeep compass 4X4 goes to nearly 24 lacs OTR Gurgaon.

A Tucson is a better buy any day over Jeep in that segment. Jeep fit and finish is fine but it's cramped for space and doesn't even have an automatic in 4wd spec that too a car which costs 2 million. I want to stay away from Skoda, no offence to the Skoda owners but it's highly unreliable ASS and very low resale value doesn't inspire confidence in the product.

VW Jetta is a discontinued model so don't want to buy that as well. Had Jetta still been in production I would have certainly considered it. So what other options we have now buddy and what would be the best.

Last edited by ampere : 24th March 2018 at 22:09.
rajamuneeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 17:17   #255
BHPian

Test drive Verna, Ciaz and Scross. You will get your answers. For 1.3 MJD engines remap options are available as well.

Most Viewed