Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2018, 17:47   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Test drive Verna, Ciaz and Scross. You will get your answers. For 1.3 MJD engines remap options are available as well.

Yes looking forward to it during the coming week. Thanks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And if trying the sedan space, look for some decent options in used Jetta or Octavia. The ageing Vento TDI DSG also could fit in your budget.

You have mentioned the Octavia or the Jetta but not the Corolla. Aren't they from the same segment and what advantages they have over say the Verna apart from more power. Reason I am asking is I have been away from sedans for a long time and don't know much about their performance and the only one I drive I have driven occasionally in last 5 years is a Ford Fiesta which is of a friend. The Vento is a ageing product I did had a polo as well. So Vento's looks doesn't excite me enough. Love the quality of German though. Polo was a fun to drive car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2018 at 21:18. Reason: Back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks..
Old 24th March 2018, 19:32   #257
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
You have mentioned the Octavia or the Jetta but not the Corolla. Aren't they from the same segment and what advantages they have over say the Verna apart from more power. Reason I am asking is I have been away from sedans for a long time and don't know much about their performance and the only one I drive I have driven occasionally in last 5 years is a Ford Fiesta which is of a friend. The Vento is a ageing product I did had a polo as well. So Vento's looks doesn't excite me enough. Love the quality of German though. Polo was a fun to drive car.
I suggested those two because you had mentioned diesel

Advantages over Verna - other than a segment above, the positives I see are solid European built (especially the Jetta), spacious, and full set of safety features including air-bags all around, ESP, traction control etc.

In its segment, the Verna diesel is a competent option, but if you are looking at Verna, even the Creta top end variant can be considered. Its really an easy car to live with.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 21:08   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Totally confused whether to retain my 7 year / 106k km Cruze LT or buy a compact SUV or a sedan. Focus is on back seat comfort and premiumness.

We are used to sedans and no one in the family liked the ride quality in the Duster and Creta. May reorient our search back to a premium sedan just due to the body roll and high CG effect.
Old 24th March 2018, 23:08   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Totally confused whether to retain my 7 year / 106k km Cruze LT or buy a compact SUV or a sedan. Focus is on back seat comfort and premiumness.
All suvs and cuvs have bad ride quality when compared to sedans except duster. (no first hand experience)
Quote:
We are used to sedans and no one in the family liked the ride quality in the Duster and Creta. May reorient our search back to a premium sedan just due to the body roll and high CG effect.
Heard duster has good ride quality even when compared to sedans,not? please explain.
Old 24th March 2018, 23:58   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I suggested those two because you had mentioned diesel

Stupid me. All this time I thought corolla comes with a Diesel engine. Reflects my knowledge about sedans. Lolzzz. Creta doesn't appeal much to me. I for one think it's overpriced for what it offers. Verna has better features compared to Creta and is better priced. I can't say anything about Ciaz or S Cross yet. Octavia no doubt is a very capable car and loaded with tech but name

Skoda truly scares me in terms of reliability and ASS. Maybe my perception is wrong and they aren't that bad. VW is lacklustre. Other option is a pre owned Audi A3 but again I will have to stretch my budget quite a bit which I really don't want to do right now. If I can find something preowned premium within the range of 15 lacs I would love to explore that option.

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2018 at 06:30. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 25th March 2018, 00:07   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Other option is a pre owned Audi A3 but again I will have to stretch my budget quite a bit which I really don't want to do right now. If I can find something preowned premium within the range of 15 lacs I would love to explore that option.
You will not have to extend your budget for an Audi A3 Sir. There are plenty of A3’s available in India under 15 lakhs.

However, even if the car is available under 15 lakhs, spare parts will be expensive. And also, the rear seat isn’t all that spacious.

An Audi A3 makes for a very good Value for Money proposition, the spare parts and service costs being an exception.

All the best with your purchase Sir

Prathik
Old 25th March 2018, 00:18   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
You will not have to extend your budget for an Audi A3 Sir. There are plenty of A3’s available in India under 15 lakhs.

Thanks Prathik. Will keep a look out for a good A3 as well. And please don't call me sir. I will be more happy if you can call me by my name buddy. Cheers.

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2018 at 06:29. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 25th March 2018, 10:16   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stupid me. All this time I thought corolla comes with a Diesel engine. Reflects my knowledge about sedans. Lolzzz. Creta doesn't appeal much to me. I for one think it's overpriced for what it offers. Verna has better features compared to Creta and is better priced. I can't say anything about Ciaz or S Cross yet. Octavia no doubt is a very capable car and loaded with tech but name

Skoda truly scares me in terms of reliability and ASS. Maybe my perception is wrong and they aren't that bad. VW is lacklustre. Other option is a pre owned Audi A3 but again I will have to stretch my budget quite a bit which I really don't want to do right now. If I can find something preowned premium within the range of 15 lacs I would love to explore that option.

I do not know if you considered the Hexa. The base variant may be around the 16-17 lakh Mark and its a very good car. Ride quality of the Hexa is unparalleled under 20L. But if you feel that the Hexa is too big or apprehensive about it for something else, then you can also consider the base variant of the Jeep Compass diesel which is around 20L and is decently kitted.

On the other hand if you want to keep your purchase under 15L OTR, I honestly cannot think of any other SUV or cross over except the Creta. I used to detest these so called cross overs and I always loved the road hugging sedans since I owned a Rapid for 6 years. But when I sold the Rapid and wanted to buy something new, I test drove everything around from the Scross, City, Verna, ecosport and the nexon. And I found the Creta 1.6 Diesel to have have the best balance of Ride, Build quality and sufficient grunt.
Sure, the Creta is not perfect, has its flaws. But i somehow found cars like the Scross and even the city not worthy of the 15L price tag if you evaluate the build, which felt a little low when I compare it so say the Rapid or the Vento. On the other hand Hyundai seems to offer that balance whether its the new Verna or the Creta. If you want a sedan and not very particular about space then the Verna diesel would be a great buy. If a cross over then Creta it is. You should test drive all of these cars back to back on the same stretch of roads to really know the difference.
Old 25th March 2018, 10:29   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sheel. I had a Storme couple of year back. It was good vehicle but considering the new range of SUV's which Tata would be launching in a year Storme would be a discontinued model within an year of purchase. Also big ladder on frame SUV is not what I would choose as a daily drive primarily for two reasons, one they aren't comfortable enough and two finding parking space for them isn't always easy. Comfort with good safety features and ease of maintenance are the two important factors this time around for me for my daily drive. Also I am thinking maybe by later this year to get a pre owned suv purely for the mountain trips especially in winter. So in about 20-22 lacs total I can buy a new sedan which will serve my daily needs and a preowned suv just for occasional long tours in the hills.
P.S See how hard I am trying to convince myself that I should buy a sedan 😁
😊
It is extremely difficult to match diverse requirement - City driving compactness, Highway stability and size and cost. So splitting the requirement is the most optimum solution.

If you have parking space, then I would suggest that you split the requirements

1. A good hatchback for city.
2. An SUV for highways and holidays.

Get a small to medium sized hatchback with auto box for your daily drive. There is quite a lot of choice and the prices range from 5L to 10L+. I would always choose the smallest size that can meet my daily needs, as that takes care of driving ease, parking, maneuverability in tight spaces.

For highway a good 4x4 would be Safari Storme, or the XUV 4x4. I prefer the Safari.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 12:19   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am in the market again for a new car. I am looking to keep this car for a minimum of 3 years. My 90% usage is going to be within Delhi NCR. Some weekend highway trips may come along. Now what should I buy as a replacement?I am more inclined towards a sedan this time only for the comfort it brings along. My budget is max 15 lac OTR can stretch a couple of lacs more if the option is of a great value. I am considering Ciaz, S Cross and the new Hyundai Verna. Took a test drive of Honda City diesel and it didn't inspire me. The performance is ok but NVH levels and diesel clatter is high. Yet to take the test drive of other cars. Apart from this I don't see any option in the SUV category within the same price point.

For me definition of SUV is AWD or 4wd capable vehicle. Hence not even looking at Brezza, Creta etc. Should I also look at the pre owned market for another suv or should I buy a sedan. And if I buy a sedan which one should I go for. I have been a SUV person from last 6 years. Before duster I owned the Safari Storme and Scorpio. Please advise what should I do as to move away from SUV into the sedan segment has left my mind in a confused state. Thanks.
Honestly, I would have recommended the Duster

Small airbags notwithstanding, it saved a close friend from a ghastly accident, the car was totalled but occupants walked out safe.

It has an amazing ride when you think about its versatility - right from off-road terrains to a city mall, it feels right at home. Plus the size is just right for a nuclear family.

Anyway, in your current shoes, I would agree with what Aroy says -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. A good hatchback for city.
2. An SUV for highways and holidays.
This would not only leave some more moolah in your bank, but seems to be the most sensible option if you don't need the boot space, and its gonna be 1-2 people travelling most of the time. Give it a thought.

Quote:

I think you would have maintained her really well over the years and with Chevy now gone, the offers would be ridiculously low. Wouldn't make much sense to let it go for peanuts. If there are no 'major' issues in the car per say, why not extract a few more years out of it?
Old 25th March 2018, 23:32   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Honestly, I would have recommended the Duster

Small airbags notwithstanding, it saved a close friend from a ghastly accident, the car was totalled but occupants walked out safe.

It has an amazing ride when you think about its versatility - right from off-road terrains to a city mall, it feels right at home. Plus the size is just right for a nuclear family.

Anyway, in your current shoes, I would agree with what Aroy says -
Dear Dry Ice. True duster is a great family car but on long drives it always left me with a dull lower back pain. I don't know if others have felt same but I definitely used to feel it on longish drives. Also it's fast depreciating and I got a good offer from a friend who specifically wanted a AWD duster so sold it. Now I am not immediately looking to buy an SUV as well as the year is pretty busy with work and won't get time to do long vacations. Looking for near weekend getaways most of the time. Boot space is required as sometimes have to do those Airport trips for pick and drop for family and friends. Also with age catching up I guess I am more inclined to have a comfortable daily drive which can do decent highway trips also ( no broken highways or off-road kind of stuff). Maybe if need arises then I can look for a preowned SUV as a alternate drive a year or so later. (Will get mouthwatering deals on duster AWD or likes in a year
from now I suppose) That's why I have decided to move towards a sedan. Strange me when the country is moving towards the SUV market I am going in opposite direction but I guess that's how I am. The new Verna appealed a lot to me after going by the reviews of it. It comes with good comfort features- front ventilated seats a boon in scorcher of a weather here and excellent security (6 airbags in the top spec. That's the one I am eyeing) Can live with a manual for another 3 years. Have driven them half my life anyway. Just want to test drive the Ciaz and S Cross for comparison and then decide the final buy. But as I said by heart I am a SUV fan but mind this time sees to have trumped the heart. Hence a bit confused and looking for advise . 😊
Old 26th March 2018, 08:13   #267
BHPian

If you are a suv fan , then s cross will score over Ciaz, as it has the stance of a SUV, and gives the driving pleasure and comfort of a sedan.
Old 26th March 2018, 17:34   #268
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
The new Verna appealed a lot to me after going by the reviews of it. It comes with good comfort features- front ventilated seats a boon in scorcher of a weather here and excellent security (6 airbags in the top spec.
No Offense, But the rear seat comfort of Verna is bad. I was keen on Verna, but the day i visited the showroom and checked the rear legroom, it was out of the list. Very minimal space if the front seat is pushed all the way back. Bought the Scross just because it was available for delivery in 2days (It was never in the list of cars i was looking for) and i dont regret it. comparatively high ground clearance, comfortable rear seats and equipped with safety features too. Take a look.

Thanks

Last edited by zaveed : 26th March 2018 at 17:36.
Old 26th March 2018, 18:52   #269
BHPian

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
No Offense, But the rear seat comfort of Verna is bad. I was keen on Verna, but the day i visited the showroom and checked the rear legroom, it was out of the list. Very minimal space if the front seat is pushed all the way back. Bought the Scross just because it was available for delivery in 2days (It was never in the list of cars i was looking for) and i dont regret it. comparatively high ground clearance, comfortable rear seats and equipped with safety features too. Take a look.

Thanks

Thanks Zaveed. Yes will definitely be comparing the cars. I have planned the test drives of Verna, Ciaz and S Cross starting Wednesday. Will keep updating. Honda was the first in the list but was disappointed by its NVH levels, and too it being the most expensive of the lot.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 26th March 2018 at 18:54.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:38   #270
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Thanks Zaveed. Yes will definitely be comparing the cars. I have planned the test drives of Verna, Ciaz and S Cross starting Wednesday. Will keep updating. Honda was the first in the list but was disappointed by its NVH levels, and too it being the most expensive of the lot.
One of my friends just last week bought a Honda WRV (diesel) after almost finalizing the Scross, primarily due to the bigger engine/more power and 6-speed gearbox.

You might also want to consider a used Toyota Corolla(diesel)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks