Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2018, 22:26   #271
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

The WRV and Scross are both VFM offerings. There are trade offs involved for both though. This is my personal comparison sheet.

1. Scross - Strengths - Sorted Chassis, Good ride quality/stability, relatively Long wheelbase, High set rear seats with adjustable headrests and . Good FE, A size bigger than WRV, Better NVH

Weakness - 90 BHP/200 NM to power 1240 Kgs. Is this adequate for your needs?

2. WRV - Strengths - more powerful than scross engine but on all other aspects scross is way ahead. Noise levels and vibrations levels are higher compared to s-cross. The rear seat's fixed headrests are more or less useless and that makes this a difficult car to travel in for more than 2 adults.
Old 27th March 2018, 13:58   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
The WRV and Scross are both VFM offerings. There are trade offs involved for both though. This is my personal comparison sheet.

1. Scross - Strengths - Sorted Chassis, Good ride quality/stability, relatively Long wheelbase, High set rear seats with adjustable headrests and . Good FE, A size bigger than WRV, Better NVH

Weakness - 90 BHP/200 NM to power 1240 Kgs. Is this adequate for your needs?

2. WRV - Strengths - more powerful than scross engine but on all other aspects scross is way ahead. Noise levels and vibrations levels are higher compared to s-cross. The rear seat's fixed headrests are more or less useless and that makes this a difficult car to travel in for more than 2 adults.
Nicely Summarized. I can talk about Scross.
Until and unless you take this car out every other day for a long drive or a outstation trip , power is OK. you will not have any trouble touching 120-140 on the NH.Need to be careful during overtaking.

City ride, You need to get used to. Given the less low end torque, you will keep shifting to 1st gear to cross the speed breakers or slow movement in the stand still traffic.Thinking that you will cross it in Second gear will most likely halt your engine and you need to restart (Personal experience)

I have never used the first gear other than after i start the car earlier, it was petrol, getting used to this diesel engine took some time for me.

There are also remaps available for the power hungry folks.

Thanks

Last edited by zaveed : 27th March 2018 at 13:59.
Old 29th March 2018, 00:25   #273
BHPian

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
One of my friends just last week bought a Honda WRV (diesel) after almost finalizing the Scross, primarily due to the bigger engine/more power and 6-speed gearbox.

You might also want to consider a used Toyota Corolla(diesel)

Hi Autosphere. I don't find WRV appealing. No offence to WRV owners. I am more inclined towards the sedans or else a proper SUV. But this time I want a sedan. The only reason I have SCross in that list is because it's European build quality. Otherwise primarily it was a case of Venra vs Honda city. Ciaz is another sedan which I think I should have a look at as well, hence in contention as I have seen some very satisfied ownership reviews of it on our forum. Toyota Corolla pre owned is a good buy provided you find one which has less kms (less than 25k) on it. Thanks.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 29th March 2018 at 00:28.
Old 29th March 2018, 12:39   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Hi Autosphere. I don't find WRV appealing. No offence to WRV owners... Otherwise primarily it was a case of Venra vs Honda city. Ciaz is another sedan which I think I should have a look at as well, hence in contention as I have seen some very satisfied ownership reviews of it on our forum. Toyota Corolla pre owned is a good buy provided you find one which has less kms (less than 25k) on it. Thanks.
Couldn't agree more on the WRV - but the SCross is seriously under-powered since I took a test-drive of both cars.

Ciaz , in my opinion, has the best looks in that segment - but again I felt the diesel under-powered when I took ride in it from Thane to Pune. Could be the driver, since I did not drive it myself.

You can easily consider a used, well-maintained Corolla even with 70K on the ODOmeter
Old 29th March 2018, 17:19   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Couldn't agree more on the WRV - but the SCross is seriously under-powered since I took a test-drive of both cars.
Just speaking from my test drive experience recently.

Power is relative. Scross is under powered compared to the Hyundai 1.6 CRDI . Compared to the Honda 100 BHP/205 NM engine, the 90 BHP/200 NM is not really that much behind. Honda is tuned for lower end response though. So it feels a bit more peppier when you drive from stand still but overall these 2 cars are in the same ball park with reference to performance. I felt that S-cross actually has the better mid range.
Old 30th March 2018, 16:43   #276
BHPian

I took the test drive of Ciaz and S Cross yesterday and drove the new Verna today. What I liked about Ciaz is oodles of space. Best in the segment. Apart from that it didn't excite me much. The body feels light, 90 hp engine will do its job of commuting from one point to another in a very sedate manner but it doesn't inspire one to drive. I felt the low end torque quite sluggish which can be a bit of pain in heavy traffic. Engine noise is audible above 80kms, braking is good. Interior quality is just ok. Feels plasticky thought. Overall its an ok product but doesn't tinkle my driving bells. No offence to its owners.
Honestly had SCross been offered in 1.6 avatar I would have bought it eyes closed. It's build quality is much better than the Ciaz and it's quite spacious as well. It drives very well and you hardly feel any bumps in the car. Interiors are good and it feels European. But Maruti's national engine makes it sluggish and you feel the weight of the car. It does struggle in low speeds below 1800 rpm. Disappointed to see Maruti stripping this car of 1.6 engine, which would have actually defined this car in a much better way. Also with Maruti testing it's new engines which are going to replace the 90bhp ones, buying any of these twins doesn't make sense.
Test drive the Verna today. It's a hoot to drive.The interiors are a notch above and the engine is fantastic. Perfect power delivery even in low end torque. Overall Verna scores higher on looks (always subjective) interiors and features. Braking lacks a bite. Upto 80kms speed they do the job ok but I felt that in case of emergency braking that bite is missing. Maybe new owners can give a better overview on its braking capabilities. Steering input is much better than the previous Verna and its ride quality is a lot improved too. That boat like feeling is a past. It's quite planted and handles itself maturely. Now I have pretty much made up my mind on the Verna and looking forward to book it within a week. The dealer here in Gurgaon has a couple of dec 2017 models SXO variants (the one I want to buy) in stock. He has offered me a discount of 55k on that as well and seems willing to negotiate a bit more. One is a silver colour and the other is a gray one. I am looking to buy a silver colour. Now should I buy a 2018 manufactured Verna or should I negotiate a bit more and get the dec 2017. Kindly advise. Thanks.
rajamuneeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 16:53   #277
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer here in Gurgaon has a couple of dec 2017 models SXO variants (the one I want to buy) in stock. He has offered me a discount of 55k on that as well and seems willing to negotiate a bit more. One is a silver colour and the other is a gray one. I am looking to buy a silver colour. Now should I buy a 2018 manufactured Verna or should I negotiate a bit more and get the dec 2017. Kindly advise. Thanks.
3 months have already passed. I would suggest 2018, but then you need to do a thorough PDI if you go with 2017. Are you planning diesel? Have you driven an Auto? I would suggest you to get quotes from 2-3 dealers in Gurgaon and this should give you a better negotiating power. I would also suggest you to visit Orion Showroom in Gurgaon - the one on the MG Road. They should also get you a good deal.
Old 30th March 2018, 17:04   #278
BHPian

Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
3 months have already passed. I would suggest 2018, but then you need to do a thorough PDI if you go with 2017. Are you planning diesel? Have you driven an Auto? I would suggest you to get quotes from 2-3 dealers in Gurgaon and this should give you a better negotiating power. I would also suggest you to visit Orion Showroom in Gurgaon - the one on the MG Road. They should also get you a good deal.

Hi Spoiledbratt. I didn't drive the automatic version. It's more expensive than the top end SXO and misses out on features especially four additional airbags and front ventilated seats. The SXO for its price makes a lot of sense features wise. Yes will get additional quotes from other dealers. Thanks for recommending a dealer. Will check with him as well. Three months is a factor in my mind too. But saves me a total of 80k in case I choose to buy it. So a bit confused on what should I do on this front. Thanks.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 30th March 2018 at 17:06.
Old 30th March 2018, 19:24   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Spoiledbratt. I didn't drive the automatic version. It's more expensive than the top end SXO and misses out on features especially four additional airbags and front ventilated seats. The SXO for its price makes a lot of sense features wise. Yes will get additional quotes from other dealers. Thanks for recommending a dealer. Will check with him as well. Three months is a factor in my mind too. But saves me a total of 80k in case I choose to buy it. So a bit confused on what should I do on this front. Thanks.
80k is a huge amount. Go ahead perform the PDI to your satisfaction and insist on doing PDI at their stock yard. In that way you will get to know the condition of stock yard.
Old 30th March 2018, 19:34   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
80k is a huge amount. Go ahead perform the PDI to your satisfaction and insist on doing PDI at their stock yard. In that way you will get to know the condition of stock yard.

I saw the stockyard today. It's a open area and there was lot of dust on cars. No overhead covers or anything on cars. They were all covered in a thick layer of dust. Now this car would be parked in open air from last three months. Any particular concern if the new car is exposed to outside conditions for three months?
Old 30th March 2018, 19:48   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Any particular concern if the new car is exposed to outside conditions for three months?
Keep an eye on the rubber parts like door beadings, wiper blades and also tyres.

Please get the car washed and have a look at the paint and overall body condition.
Old 30th March 2018, 23:23   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Keep an eye on the rubber parts like door beadings, wiper blades and also tyres.

Please get the car washed and have a look at the paint and overall body condition.

Thanks Anurag. So you suggest it's ok to buy a 2017 model on such a discount.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 08:41   #283
Team-BHP Support

I have suggested one of my very good friends to get rid of his Nissan Terrano. Reason, the nearest ASC is shut now, the other is 300+ kms away and if we take better roads, it will be near 375 kms and seeing the fate of Nissan, you never know as to when would it just pack up and leave.

What options he has? He murmured a 4WD Duster, but it will be oh so similar, anything else under 20L?
Old 4th April 2018, 17:40   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took the test drive of Ciaz and S Cross yesterday and drove the new Verna today. ...
If you are looking at keeping the car for about 5 years - buy the 2017 production model if you get a mouth watering discount.

Car sittting in the stock yard for 3 months (in cold or pleasant weather) is totally alright. All dealer stockyards are dusty and have no overhead protection, just make sure you give the particular car a good once over.

I bought a 3 month old production model Ford Figo & I saw absolutely no reason to complain. Happy buying

Cheers

Last edited by theMAG : 4th April 2018 at 19:44. Reason: Trimming quoted content in the best interests of readability.
Old 5th April 2018, 09:25   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What options he has? He murmured a 4WD Duster, but it will be oh so similar, anything else under 20L?
Guys, any idea on the upcoming Duster or Creta? One option is there in the Compass, but the ASC's are few and far in between.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks