Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 09:40   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

In the current scene of entry-level crossovers, I feel the Ecosport offers great value, especially in the top-end Titanium+ or Titanium AT trim. Got decent engine options in petrol and diesel, excellent in all-round safety and, good driving dynamics.

And I feel the S-Cross should have been there as an option in this poll.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 09:46   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And I feel the S-Cross should have been there as an option in this poll.
The official review of the Creta also does not compare it with S-Cross and the same comparison sheet is used in the opening post of this thread.
Probably they're different types - the Urban SUV (Creta, et all) Vs the Crossover/Large hatchback (S-Cross) ?
Old 27th August 2015, 10:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the XUV.

It offers a great engine, amazing space, endless list of creature comforts, good safety, great seats and cabin and decent ride/handling. And also the versatility of 7 seats. It is a complete package in my opinion for both city dwellers and highway kings! Infact the XUV is a joy to be driven on the highways.

To top it all, it gives excellent fuel efficiency too. I used to think that Mahindra has gone overboard with the pricing, but now looking at the pricing of Duster, Creta and S-Cross, the XUV suddenly feels a lot more VFM.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 11:19   #19
BHPian

I have not driven either of these cars (except Scorpio CRDE for a few kms), but then I am addicted to TBHP which means I have other people's experiences to go by. And I do mull over about buying a new car and these are the choices that I face, because I want an all-rounder for my new car. I suspect that a lot of people want crossovers because they want an all-rounder.

If I want an all-rounder, which is good for the everyday city use of 50 kms as well as for all-road touring capabilities, I will go for Duster AWD at this moment. I will choose it for its excellent engine with great gear ratios, for its ride comfort for the driver and passengers, for its handling and its turning radius. If S-Cross had an AWD variant at a reasonable price, I might have gone for that, especially for its wide service network.

XUV, Scorpio, Storme seem too heavy and big for self-driven city use. Creta is not good for all-road touring, I mean, not all that much better than my current hatch. Ecosport is too small.

Duster AWD is the most capable cross-over for me. There is not much choice, is there? Yeti would have been another choice. But to have Yeti for your only car? Seems risky.
jhaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 12:16   #20
adu
BHPian

XUV it is for me. Great power, space and features coupled with the ease of driving which is similar to that of a car. My earlier Optra felt more cumbersome to drive in Bangalore, but the XUV is sheer pleasure to drive in the city and let's not even get started on how it performs on the highways!
adu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 13:51   #21
BHPian

Is S-Cross not in the competition?
autobahnjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:07   #22
BHPian

Voted for the Duster because I own one and I find it extremely practical no nonsense car . It drives well and keeps all the people inside car happy with its superb suspension .
Although the interiors are not top notch but they are practical and am quite sure they will improve with the facelift .
Old 27th August 2015, 14:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Duster as it is still the best butch quasi SUV around with a fantastic 4X4 option for when need be. Here's hoping the facelift will make it even better. The Creta is a great second alternate but a bit feminine and the XUV in design terms is too quirky for my taste.
Old 27th August 2015, 14:42   #24
BNM
BHPian

I would have voted and bought the XUV 5oo if

1. A nice clean dashboard without the cheetah paws and all the unwanted textures. After all you spend sitting in front of the dashboard 90% of the time.

2. Increase the length of the vehicle by around 20 cms or more (atleast the Innova length) and make it a good 7 seater. The boot should be able to carry atleast 3 suitcases with all the 3 rows up.

3. Rework the front grills - make it simpler and remove all the stupid chrome embellishments around the fog lamps and also the strips that run across the window line.

4. Make sure there is no part that rattles inside the car.

5. Plonk a refined 7 speed Dual clutch AT Box.

6. Improve the reliability perception !

Last edited by BNM : 27th August 2015 at 15:04.
BNM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:43   #25
BHPian

Already an owner for Duster RXL110 and I love it.So considering my next car, I removed duster from my list to avoid repetition.

Now here in the list battle is between Safari and XUV. Heart says Safari Storme, Brain says XUV and finally Brain overcome Heart.Hence Voted for XUV and these are the reasons as per my view

#Only 7 Seater with all front facing seats in the list
#Super silent and 2.2 L with very minimal turbo Lag
#ESP, Cruise control, Hill accent/Decent features
#Other Gizmos are not a must, but added advantage

How Safari Lost:-
#New body shape not appealing for me, Recent Internal upgrades are not going properly with this body shape - I find old Dicor shape better and SUVish.
#I don't like side facing seats in my SUV

One major issue for me in XUV, that its a front wheel drive against Safari's Rear wheel drive.Once I observed in Ooty, XUVs front wheel drive is finding difficulty when tried from standstill where Sumo's rear wheel drive is managing easily. This happened during heavy traffic jam during Ooty-Masinagudi route.

Creta and Ecosport is not of my taste
Scorpio is a close call being a ladder frame, but second row legroom is an issue I find in new model.
Old 27th August 2015, 14:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for XUV 5OO.

The main reason behind my vote is because XUV is one of the most VFM proposition in the SUV segment. If you look for options either you get a 5 seater in this price bracket or a 7-seater with jump seats. And on the other side all other SUV's are prices almost twice the amount of XUV. With the price paid you get exhaustive list of features and one of the best engine in automotive industry. I think these two are more than enough to vote for XUV
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:47   #27
BHPian

I own a XUV 5OO(Since May 2014) and i used to own Duster(March 2013-April 2014).
I voted for Duster

XUV 5OO beats duster hands down in all areas except RIDE QUALITY.

After being pampered by duster for a year on all kinds of roads and now when i drive XUV on highways with undulation i miss my duster.

For some reason ride quality of duster masks all the good things of XUV (Better build, Better interiors, more power, rear AC, better seats, more features, etc....)
Old 27th August 2015, 14:48   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
How is the Duster doing on hilly roads with lots of bends? Anyone can comment about the body roll please?
It is quite good even with the standard MRF Wanderer tyres. Holds on well, gives good feedback, has minimum roll and very predictable. I am referring to AWD version since i have not got a chance with the 2WD.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 15:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post

XUV 5OO beats duster hands down in all areas except RIDE QUALITY.
Ride quality in the new XUV facelift version is improved, but not sure if it matches that of duster. I have driven new XUV on some of the broken roads, on the highway and i am quite happy with the ride quality, both at low speed and high speed. As i have not tried duster so much, I can't compare though.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 15:22   #30
BHPian

I am wondering how much of this polls is influenced by GTO's post on the Creta Review that says " I would put my Money on XUV" ;-)

It will be an interesting analysis to understand a plethora of things.
On the other hand i have nothing against the XUV nor i favour any other (although i voted creta), this is pure academics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Equally, I might add, the Creta isn't my kind of car at all. If I were looking for an SUV in this segment, I'd put my money on the XUV500 AWD. I remain a big fan of the XUV500, and Mahindra has continually improved it over the years.

Last edited by groom : 27th August 2015 at 15:23. Reason: added disclaimer
groom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed