Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.93%
Renault Duster 154 16.96%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.74%
Ford EcoSport 62 6.83%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.47%
Voters: 908. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2018, 18:37   #286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum, Ker
Posts: 310
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
I was wondering why some popular choices were missing in the comparison & saw the date of first post. I think it will be better if we close the thread as neither the comparison nor the poll options have the latest products and it will be hugely unfair to omit them. Editing the thread to include the new entrants will also not work as the poll tally will not be matching & some of those already polled may want to change their opinion in favour of the new entrants.

Its time someone created a new comparison & poll option. I don't know if it already exists or not.
arif_t01 is offline  
Old 11th July 2018, 14:09   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,291
Thanked: 1,933 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Would the Duster be a reliable vehicle for 7 to 10 year ownership period ? Also are there any known issues for the 4x4 model ? Any idea when the new version will come to India?
sumeethaldankar is offline  
Old 12th September 2019, 21:49   #288
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Which Butch SUV within 15 L

Hello Guys,

Need your suggestion in selecting the SUV for me. I've been driving Amaze Petrol for the last 3 years. I know it's too early to change the car however my heart has been itching for an SUV since long so decided to change, and since last 7 months my daily commute has increased so there's a need for Diesel.

My requirement is simple - Butch looking mid-size SUV with good ride quality. It'll be used for daily city commute and occasional highway drive. My budget is maximum of 15 L for new car and 8-9 L for pre-owned one as I'm open to both the option.

According to my budget and requirement, I've got the following option:

1) New XUV 5OO W5 Variant

Pros - New Car with an option to buy the extended warranty
Cons - Missing out on key features like Cruise Control, Alloy Wheels, Inbuilt Navigation etc.

2) Pre-owned 2014 XUV 5OO W8 Variant with 50 K - 60 K in odometer is available for 7-8 L in Mumbai and around 8-9 L in Pune

Pros - Top Variant at half the cost with all the safety and necessary features
Cons - Strictly average interiors, niggles in first-gen XUV 5OO

3) New Duster 85 PS Diesel

Pros - Butch look, best ride quality, fit the budget easily, top-end variant will cost 12 L on-road
Cons - Too old in comparison to today's cars, average interiors, Renault to discontinue Diesel once BSVI kicks in, resale value might be low

4) Dark Horse - Santa Fe, Nextgen 2014 2WD AT, good condition with 1L in odometer is available for around 9-10 L in Pune

Pros - D2 segment car in 1/3 of the price with all the bells and whistles, Hyundai diesel is good to drive
Cons - High mileage, discontinued model resulting in lower resale value

I can't think of any other car based on my requirement, not interested in C-SUVs like Ecosport, Creta, Nexon, Breeza.

I'm good at playing the role of auto consultant, selecting cars for others (friends and families) but when it comes to my turn, I'm in a dilemma in selecting the best option for me.

Please feel free to suggest any other cars apart from the one mentioned above.
VJ05 is offline  
Old 13th September 2019, 01:36   #289
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: .
Posts: 210
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Which Butch SUV within 15 L

Since Butchness is the only criteria, why ignore the most butch suv of them all, the Scorpio?

Seriously, there was one in my rvm, and it looked intimidating. The 70 something white bearded sikh gentleman, not so much.

Tata Harrier can be another great option, if you can look past the official review, and the niggles that some of the owners have faced (pro-tip: DON'T)

Or get a vcross, if you can live with an open luggage bay, or add another 1.6 lakhs for the cover, and can adapt to that Volvo bus like turning radius.
Or maybe get a a thar,and an aftermarket hard top, and a lakh in doing up the interiors.
Or wait for the soon to be launched new thar. And hope and pray with us that it doesn't lose its rugged appeal, like the next gen Scorpio will (going purely by the renders)
simeonovitch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 07:55   #290
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 745
Thanked: 725 Times
Default Re: Which Butch SUV within 15 L

This is how the market today. Even at 15 lacs, you don't have a good option. I'd say stay clear of used xuv's. I see them in and out everyday and they age pretty bad. Electronics and plastics are horrible. If xuv, go for a new one.

Current gen Scorpio is too old. Wait for the new one as it's just around the corner.

See if you can find a good condition used fortuner in your new car budget.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 08:12   #291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 493
Thanked: 2,284 Times
Default Re: Which Butch SUV within 15 L

Hmm that's quite a unique criteria considering your tight budget. If you want to buy a new car then your options are quite limited I am afraid. Because you will have to stretch your budget by at least 1 lakh so that you can get the Scorpio and Hexa both within your budget. Another tank you can have is the TUV300 whose top end is only 12.5 lakh OTR Pune. But it's a sub 4 meter SUV and the last row of seats is a joke.

I am assuming you are buying the car in Pune. So if you can stretch your budget to say 16-16.5 lakh then Hexa XM and Scorpio S7 140hp come within your budget. Both these cars will make you feel like king of the road but like mentioned by simeonovitch the Scorpio is getting replaced next year so the current model will soon be discontinued. But since you are also looking at used XUV and Santa Fe, I don't think you are bothered by having to live with discontinued models.

So my advice would be to go for a brand new car as against getting a used one,because it will serve you better in the long run even though it's more expensive to buy in the first place. I own a Hexa for past 2 years and it's a wonderful beast. Looking at discounts being offered by Tata right now and the general slowdown in the market you can get some lucrative deals. In fact another member from Pune yd_gli just bought a Hexa XTA albeit 2018 make for a whopping 4 lakh rupees off. So start hunting.

Last edited by ram87pune : 13th September 2019 at 08:17.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:32   #292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Which Butch SUV within 15 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Since Butchness is the only criteria, why ignore the most butch suv of them all, the Scorpio?

Seriously, there was one in my rvm, and it looked intimidating. The 70 something white bearded sikh gentleman, not so much.

Tata Harrier can be another great option, if you can look past the official review, and the niggles that some of the owners have faced (pro-tip: DON'T)

Or get a vcross, if you can live with an open luggage bay, or add another 1.6 lakhs for the cover, and can adapt to that Volvo bus like turning radius.
Or maybe get a a thar,and an aftermarket hard top, and a lakh in doing up the interiors.
Or wait for the soon to be launched new thar. And hope and pray with us that it doesn't lose its rugged appeal, like the next gen Scorpio will (going purely by the renders)
Scorpio is almost couple of decades old, so ruled out. I don't have confidence in Harrier that it can serve me without much trouble for the next 5 years. V-cross and Thar are good options however I'm not sure whether those two can be used as daily driver, also my wife drives sometimes and she won't be comfortable driving these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
This is how the market today. Even at 15 lacs, you don't have a good option. I'd say stay clear of used xuv's. I see them in and out everyday and they age pretty bad. Electronics and plastics are horrible. If xuv, go for a new one.

Current gen Scorpio is too old. Wait for the new one as it's just around the corner.

See if you can find a good condition used fortuner in your new car budget.
Seriously, market has become so overpriced. I am willing to stretch my budget and getting inclined towards XUV 5OO W7 variant, it will cost around 16 L after Cash & Corporate discount and Exchange Bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hmm that's quite a unique criteria considering your tight budget. If you want to buy a new car then your options are quite limited I am afraid. Because you will have to stretch your budget by at least 1 lakh so that you can get the Scorpio and Hexa both within your budget. Another tank you can have is the TUV300 whose top end is only 12.5 lakh OTR Pune. But it's a sub 4 meter SUV and the last row of seats is a joke.

I am assuming you are buying the car in Pune. So if you can stretch your budget to say 16-16.5 lakh then Hexa XM and Scorpio S7 140hp come within your budget. Both these cars will make you feel like king of the road but like mentioned by simeonovitch the Scorpio is getting replaced next year so the current model will soon be discontinued. But since you are also looking at used XUV and Santa Fe, I don't think you are bothered by having to live with discontinued models.

So my advice would be to go for a brand new car as against getting a used one,because it will serve you better in the long run even though it's more expensive to buy in the first place. I own a Hexa for past 2 years and it's a wonderful beast. Looking at discounts being offered by Tata right now and the general slowdown in the market you can get some lucrative deals. In fact another member from Pune yd_gli just bought a Hexa XTA albeit 2018 make for a whopping 4 lakh rupees off. So start hunting.
TUV is ruled out due to underpowered engine. Also one of the colleague has it and I don't hear much positive feedback from him. I'm willing to consider Hexa, will visit the dealer soon to check out the offers.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:28   #293
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 493
Thanked: 2,284 Times
Default Re: Which Butch SUV within 15 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
I'm willing to consider Hexa, will visit the dealer soon to check out the offers.
In case you end up finalizing the Hexa let me know. I can help you get a good deal on one. By the way which dealer are you looking at?

I bought my Hexa from Sridha Motors Chakan. The owner is a very good friend of mine.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:42   #294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Which Butch SUV within 15 L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
In case you end up finalizing the Hexa let me know. I can help you get a good deal on one. By the way which dealer are you looking at?

I bought my Hexa from Sridha Motors Chakan. The owner is a very good friend of mine.
I checked with Rudra Motors in Wagholi. Can you please PM me your no.? Need to talk with you.
VJ05 is offline  
Old 17th September 2019, 00:33   #295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Guys,

Booked the XUV 5OO W7 MT Mystic Copper variant last Sunday from Sahyadri Motors, Baner. I've been able to negotiate a good deal from them:

Here's the breakout:

Ex-showroom Price with GST: Rs. 14,11,201
RTO: Rs. 2,04,670
TCS: Rs. 14,112
Incidental Charges: Rs. 4,720
High-Security Number Plate: Rs. 600
Gross Total: Rs. *1,635,303
Less
Exchange Bonus: Rs. 50,000
Cash Discount: Rs. 25,000
Corporate Discount: Rs. 9,000
Total: Rs. *1,551,303

I was able to squeeze out OEM Fog Lights as a complimentary accessory. Will buy the insurance myself which will cost ~50K for 1 year comprehensive with Zero Dep and 3 year Third Party.

Total cost of buying will be ~16 L. Can't wait to put my hands behind the steering wheel of this beast.

Cheers!
--VJ
VJ05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 02:35   #296
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: .
Posts: 210
Thanked: 658 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Guys,

Booked the XUV 5OO W7

Very brave of you to buy almost a decade old vehicle.
On the other hand, there is still no competition to the XUV even today. What a product Mahindra's launched.
simeonovitch is offline  
Old 17th September 2019, 09:18   #297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Very brave of you to buy almost a decade old vehicle.
On the other hand, there is still no competition to the XUV even today. What a product Mahindra's launched.
Rightly said, it's almost 8 year old vehicle and still have no real competition in the market. This is quite strange considering almost all the global automakers are selling in our country. If we talk about D1 segment SUVs, only Hector comes close to it's competition. I'm not considering Hexa as it's more of a MPV than SUV.

Coming to my purchase, I had eye on XUV 5OO since last 4-5 years. It's quite a capable car, be it highway or city and value for money considering Creta and Seltos mid diesel variant comes close to it's pricing and offer less real estate and only 1.5 L engine.

Since it's a global product and knowing lifecycle of Mahindra UV's (Scorpio is on sell since 2002), I'm sure it will continue to sell in our market in the next decade or so.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:31   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Guys,

Booked the XUV 5OO W7 MT Mystic Copper variant last Sunday from Sahyadri Motors, Baner. I've been able to negotiate a good deal from them
Congrats mate, welcome the tribe.

I got mine in June this year.

You could have done better on the deal front. I got 94k cash discount, inclusive of exchange bonus, over and above this I managed to get OE fog lamps and revese parking cam. Considering that dealers are under more pressure then ever, the disocunts should have been better.
BANDHAV is offline  
Old 17th September 2019, 09:52   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 101
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Congrats mate, welcome the tribe.

I got mine in June this year.

You could have done better on the deal front. I got 94k cash discount, inclusive of exchange bonus, over and above this I managed to get OE fog lamps and revese parking cam. Considering that dealers are under more pressure then ever, the discounts should have been better.
Which variant you bought? I also negotiated 25K more on my used car value. I took the quotation from all the dealers in city and got the best deal from them.
VJ05 is offline  
Old 17th September 2019, 12:00   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
BANDHAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Which variant you bought? I also negotiated 25K more on my used car value. I took the quotation from all the dealers in city and got the best deal from them.
W7 MT.

In my case one branch of same dealership offered better deal compared to other branch.
BANDHAV is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks