Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 10:06   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Would pick the Ford. Maybe the smallest but I don't really care for that "street cred".
The reasons why I pick the Eco and not others are:
>Duster : would be my second pick and first if I need to do some mild mid plugging. The problem with the Duster is that it's too dated and the crash safety is pretty average at best. I would've picked it if it had fared better in the crash tests.
>Creta: way too overpriced. Good car but nothing extraordinary. Has some glaringly obvious cost cuttings. I don't know what's it USP but over 6000 people seem to disagree and I can't argue with that. Still,would not consider this.
>Scorpio/Safari: too unsafe,old,crude and dated. I like the Mhawk a lot though.
XUV: I really liked this car but Mahindra's QC sucks big time, a few people I know have these and some are happy while some hate it. I don't think that this level of QC is acceptable for this price.

The Ecosport on the other hand will get you a decent diesel with six airbags and a well built car. It also looks interesting and has acceptable gizmos with that traditional Ford dynamics. It's still gives you the most bang for your buck,IMO.
Old 28th August 2015, 11:01   #47
BHPian

Voted for Creta as it fits the urban necessities perfectly...not too big, not too small, decent power with revv happy engine, drive dynamics not bad, top notch fit and finish, allround safety package (on SX(O)). Yes it does loose out on the off-roading capabilities and Duster probably has better handling and dynamics but overall package wise it is very outdated. The others are too big for urban needs and Ecosport is a lil too small. Just my personal opinion.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 12:42   #48
BHPian

Picked the XUV500, a VFM SUV in my opinion, Mahindra offers an AWD version as well. The W10 variant is loaded with features, something the Creta top end is missing with.
Further, the XUV has that butch presence on the road & has built a good product value in recent times as well.
No doubt the Duster (AWD) has unsurpassed ride quality and handling, it sorely misses on the quality part & doesn't feel like a premium offering.
Scorpio's & Safari's design language is like a long & painful nail in the tooth, they have to be upgraded to match the modern look & fit & finish of their competitors.
Ecosport's price is very tempting but its the underdog in terms of performance & misses out on the space factor, no denying its loaded though.
Old 28th August 2015, 12:49   #49
BHPian

I would pick Scorpio because with AT option it is good for city traffic and as a SUV its good too and can be used for long highway commutes.

It has best of both things.

Creta is not a proper SUV and instead a wannabe SUV or a sheep in wolfs clothing!
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 12:57   #50
Team-BHP Support

Out of the given, it's an easy choice for me - XUV. If I am spending as much as I am, I'd rather get a comfortable 7 seater.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 13:23   #51
BHPian

I took a test drive of the Creta on Monday. Though it looks big and tall etc from the outside, once inside, you are sitting low and quite at level with the rest of the cars on the road. Also, the window sills are way too high for comfort and you feel quite hemmed in. It is nice to drive and all that, but I feel it is way too overpriced for what you get.
I voted for the Safari Storme, simply because I drive one and have crossed 51,500km of trouble-free fun with it, with an average FE of around 13kmpl in the city. It is still the most comfortable vehicle of the entire lot, if you do not mind the size.
Old 28th August 2015, 14:43   #52
BHPian

I voted for the XUV 5oo. Totally VFM package, except the niggles fantastic car to drive, powerful engine, acres of space, loaded with bells and whistles, quality is not too bad either.
Cousin has a Safari and a friend has a Duster. Was let down by both.
Old 28th August 2015, 15:02   #53
BHPian

I own an XUV and till date have just loved driving it through and through. My vote went to XUV as (with due respect to all the owner of these cars) there were deal breakers
1) Duster - this was the first prospective SUV I checked 1 year before I bought XUV, was quite let down by interior quality and space. it was equivalent to my old Aveo.
2) EcoSport - felt too small (+ had a 6 month waiting period for such a thing)
3) Terrano - Felt slightly better than Duster but almost in same league
4) XUV - was floored by the features and power of this beast the moment I test drove it in parking lot of Dealer (it was quite late in the night at 9 when I did). I feel its the best bet
a)if you are fine with Mahindra badge (many of my friends are now considering this after seeing my experience with XUV, otherwise for Mahindra meant Jeep/Xylo types).
b)safety features,
c)best mid row space,
d)feature loaded,
e)can do 7 seating when required ( I did a Pondy trip with 7 adults and 2 kids)
f)experience with Mahindra service has been quite satisfactory
5)Storme - it always felt too big for me to drive
6)Creta - I was eagerly waiting for its launch but the pricing drove me away. Although I still look out for Creta's on the road but I think the road presence of a true SUV isn't there. At that price its XUV all the way.
Old 28th August 2015, 15:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
1) Duster - this was the first prospective SUV I checked 1 year before I bought XUV, was quite let down by interior quality and space. it was equivalent to my old Aveo.
Interesting; I too drove an Aveo before I got the Storme. I didn't buy the XUV because I thought it had too much 'bling' for my taste and somehow didn't like the dark interiors. (I do not care too much for the electronic gizmos either). I have always loved the Safari for it's commanding position and the view out of the bonnet (and continue to do so).
Old 28th August 2015, 16:47   #55
BHPian

When its an SUV , along with all the ruggedness and build, i feel it is imperative that the manufacturers must offer full safety specifications too - with that in mind - at least for me this boils down to XUV, Creta and Ecosport

I picked XUV because i have driven it and overall feel its very VFM. It was actually tough to choose between Creta ( top end) and the XUV ( W8 and W10 in mind) - like i said i felt XUV was more VFM.

All being said - Among all these vehicles - Ecosport is the only one within my budget ( and satisfies the safety criteria) as of now and hopefully i will get one for myself in the next couple of months.
The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 18:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
When its an SUV , along with all the ruggedness and build, i feel it is imperative that the manufacturers must offer full safety specifications too - with that in mind - at least for me this boils down to XUV, Creta and Ecosport

I picked XUV because i have driven it and overall feel its very VFM. It was actually tough to choose between Creta ( top end) and the XUV ( W8 and W10 in mind) - like i said i felt XUV was more VFM.

All being said - Among all these vehicles - Ecosport is the only one within my budget ( and satisfies the safety criteria) as of now and hopefully i will get one for myself in the next couple of months.
+1. I'm in the same boat here. Ecosport is the only one which won't break the bank for me & it's got good safety points. The roads I take mandate a high ground clearance (if it was limited to city drive, I might have a look at Aspire - but that is OT here). While XUV is really VFM amongst the lot of cars put up, affordability wise Ecosport takes the mantle, space not being a constraint for me.
Old 28th August 2015, 19:49   #57
BHPian

Although I've voted for the creta for its compact dimension, it would have been the S-cross if it were in this list.

I don't care about the brand as long as the product is good. And as per the review of S-cross, it looks well equipped with better quality of materials ( read European). With Hyundai cutting out on the features list, what's the usp of this crossover? If I need auto tranny, I would rather add some more amount in the EMI and get the Rexton or pajero. For everything else Duster and Xuv would offer more value for the buck.

For other suv/crossovers in this list, every single product is so competent and serves unique set of customers.

For the urban street requirements, I would feel better in a large hatch rather than a small suv and the S-cross would be the choice.
Old 28th August 2015, 20:04   #58
BHPian

It is the Duster 4WD for me . Did not like the fit and finish of the plastic interior of the XUV. The quality of the duster's interior is basic yet functional and appears to be built to last.

If 4wd was not in the reckoning, Creta would be a strong contender.
Old 28th August 2015, 20:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Duster AWD. Well, i actually did this exercise and bought one! (Creta wasn't on offer then, but it would have still been the AWD)
Though I would have liked 6 airbags, roof-mounted AC, and more leg room.
Ride Quality is truly unmatched - perfect for Bangalore!

Last edited by Equus : 28th August 2015 at 20:49.
Old 28th August 2015, 22:06   #60
BHPian

I would prefer to pick the Duster from the lot.
Preferably the AWD version as its a proven vehicle, can live in both worlds of On-road and off-road. Stability on broken surface is fantastic. An common man question of "Average kya hai" will also bring grin on your face , atleast from the lot here.

The second would be the Ford. Great package overall, day to day hassle free car to live with. definitely not an offroader.

Rest are just here because of the above two. And no doubt, cars from West have that wee bit preference over cars from east.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks