Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:59   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

For me, this one is easy. I had considered all of the candidates (except creta) when I was buying last year and it was very easy to choose XUV AWD, sheer value for money.

Be it commuting 60kms a day in terrible traffic or covering 1200 kms in a day, this car can do it so easily and its probably the most versatile car within Rs. 30 Lakhs. After sales has been very good as well.

Very happy with my XUV AWD
Aniket6 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:58   #77
BHPian

The only major thing the XUV lacks is an automatic gearbox, and going by media reports, looks like it won't be too long beofre the XUV adds an automatic into its feature list - http://auto.ndtv.com/news/mahindra-x...y-2016-1213081
Old 5th September 2015, 18:41   #78
BHPian

Hi All,

It is indeed a nice comparison to have!

I voted for the Creta as it ticks the following for me:
1) It has a diesel automatic option
2) Reasonable looks and road presence, I saw a couple of them parked at work
3) It has the required features for a car at this price point
4) Hyundai has a good service network

Other alternates could be automatic scorpio, but not sure about the stop gap auto transmission which Mahindra has come with.

Other vehicles while of course good in their own right are not that convinient to drive as they do not have automatic option. It is important for SUVs to have automatic as an option as people who usually drive mostly in the city would like an vehicle which is easy to drive, while being comfortable and having decent road presence.

Cheers to all!
Old 5th September 2015, 19:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

I saw the actual S-Cross for first time yesterday and firmly believe that it should've been in the option list. This is seriously unfair.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 15:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India picks Creta as the Winner.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-397971.aspx/0

I'll just leave this here.
Old 9th October 2015, 22:19   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Autocar India picks Creta as the Winner.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-397971.aspx/0

I'll just leave this here.
Autocar generally picks whichever is the latest. Plus Autocar also has soft corner for Hyundai cars.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 09:03   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Plus Autocar also has soft corner for Hyundai cars.
With due respect, that sounds a little too biased. Starting from Grand i10, elite i20, 2015 Verna Update and the Creta, every review has indicated that the cars are neutral to good handlers. Hyundai is making progress in the right direction. Let's simply not deny that Hyundai has the best interior quality and equipment in it's class.
So for most people, good interiors+good diesel engine+neutral handling makes the cut. I don't see why Hyundai Creta is the best in segment as of today.

If you require a 7 seater, the only choice- XUV 500
If you require AWD, the only choice- Duster AWD
Else, Creta is the best choice.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 09:14   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
With due respect, that sounds a little too biased. Starting from Grand i10, elite i20, 2015 Verna Update and the Creta, every review has indicated that the cars are neutral to good handlers. Hyundai is making progress in the right direction. Let's simply not deny that Hyundai has the best interior quality and equipment in it's class.
So for most people, good interiors+good diesel engine+neutral handling makes the cut. I don't see why Hyundai Creta is the best in segment as of today.

If you require a 7 seater, the only choice- XUV 500
If you require AWD, the only choice- Duster AWD
Else, Creta is the best choice.
Anyways, whatever car magzines say, to each one, his own. I bought XUV as a spacious 5-seater compared to any other car being compared here. None of the 5 adults can ever have any complaint about either leg room or shoulder room in XUV. This is definitely not the case with scross/creta/duster. Combine with peppy engine and all the bells and whistles, I feel it makes a great product. Ofcourse at the cost of dull interiors. So, people buy XUV not only because they want to have 7-seater.
Indian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 09:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Anyways, whatever car magzines say, to each one, his own. I bought XUV as a spacious 5-seater
Yes, agreed there. If the car is carrying 5 people for majority of the time, the XUV is the best option.

The only "disadvantages" (note the quote ) the XUV has are that it's big for crawling urban city traffic/parking lots and it's FE compared to the lighter monocoque SUVs. The XUV is a fantastic machine and VFM. But simply not for everyone.

As you said, "To each, his own"...

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th October 2015 at 09:35.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 11:42   #85
BANNED

Have voted for the Scorpio since I've been a satisfied owner for the past many years. The choice for my new car would be a tie between the new 2015 Scorpio and the TUV 300. After my experience with the Scorpio, I am today a convert to the body-on-frame (ladder-frame in the TUV 300 & new Scorpio) school for its massive durability and strength, plus the reasonable maintenance & spares cost of the M&M products. Not to mention the fact that our two boxers have made the Scorpio their private domain - and also the wear & tear that this entails!
Old 11th October 2015, 20:28   #86
BHPian

Voted for the safari. It's the best suv from Tata.

Why I selected safari?

It's a Blue blooded SUV,ladder on frame chassis,great height. The higher driving stance is addictive.

Massive road presence,even heavy vehicles will notice this tusker. Safari like the bullet never losses it's aura. I desperately wanted to replace my estate with this but could't manage to buy it. Still covets a safari

Safety-This 2.5 ton mammoth is a very safe place to be in if something goes terribly wrong. Tata may produce awful interiors,gearboxes that are hard to slot and a heavy clutch but the metal quality has never been compromised.(Nano may be an exception).

Service costs-Tata's are much cheaper to maintain than most brands. SUVs really cost a bomb if something goes wrong.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:08   #87
BHPian

Though I own XUV 500 W8 and almost clocked 25,000 KM in 8 months, I voted for Duster ( AWD).
Duster has the best ride quality, it rides over the bad roads in a better way and it has less body roll compared to XUV 500.
I have tried all vehicles in the poll except the creta.

I chose XUV 500 W8 while buying because it was the best 7 seater available with ESP in a decent price range. seating option was given more weightage.

But being a quick and enthusiast driver , especially through NH and high range, I feel Duster AWD is the best option.

Last edited by Tornado : 19th October 2015 at 13:12. Reason: to make it clear
Tornado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 13:50   #88

I am in the market for an SUV, but given the constraint of my budget (< Rs 15 lakhs) and the current options available, I have had to defer my purchase.

The XUV500 used to be my dream machine, but some friends cautioned me not to buy the vehicle. So, I got going on Team-BHP to do my independent research. I followed a lot of XUV threads religiously (particularly Debuda's Silver Mahindra XUV500 W6 @ Jamshedpur) before deciding not to go for the car. It's a sad decision because XUV's looks and the kind of space it offers at current price-point seems unmatched. But performance and peace of mind are too important factors that I cannot overlook when investing a substantial sum of my savings.

The Duster has always been around, and its a car that I have felt comfortable driving around, but neither my wife nor the kid are happy with the interiors. I also share their opinion.

The Creta (I have not driven) has got rave reviews, but somehow I cannot visualise it as a proper SUV.

I spent a lot of time recently researching the Honda BR-V, but it doesn't look like an SUV at all. Honda has been a real disappointment (I currently drive a City) for me because they keep on launching these 'underwhelming' (my take) products (Mobilio) in India, while keeping away the real stuff stuff (HR-V, CRV-diesel, etc.).

I have great hopes that the facelifted Duster would be the car I might buy, hence the vote.
Old 28th November 2015, 23:32   #89
BHPian

Voted for the XUV because of the aggressive looks that give it that presence, the features (safety and creature comforts) it comes loaded with so that you feel you got the most bang for your buck and the value for money proposition.

By the way, can somebody who has driven both Storme and the XUV comment on the view from the driver's seat for both the vehicles ? Is there a lot of difference ? Does the XUV feels too low or car like ?

I haven't driven any of them so was curious to know.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:15   #90
BHPian

A silly comment!

If you are looking for an SUV go for Safari Storme Varicor 400 or if you want a Hyundai go for i20 Active SX(O). In both cases you will be saving a lot.
Safari will give you the real feeling of what an SUV (on budget) should be. (Even though Creta's tagline reads - The Real SUV, it's nowhere close to being an SUV).
Or almost all bells and whistles in the cabin of Creta you can get in i20 Active.

Hyundai is robbing people with insane pricing.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed