Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 18:19   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Creta's tagline reads - The Real SUV, .

Actually Safari Storme's tagline reads the "REAL SUV
" and Creta's is the "PERFECT SUV".

Not contesting your thought though.
Old 11th December 2015, 15:47   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

I see that there is overwhelming support for the XUV over the Creta which is a far 15%. What are the 3 or 4 most important points for a buyer to choose the XUV AT over the Creta AT.

Please note that the justification is required for AT version only. Based on my reading, I didn't see any major factor as a deal breaker for the Creta apart from the obvious sticker price.
Old 11th December 2015, 17:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I see that there is overwhelming support for the XUV over the Creta which is a far 15%. What are the 3 or 4 most important points for a buyer to choose the XUV AT over the Creta AT.

Please note that the justification is required for AT version only. Based on my reading, I didn't see any major factor as a deal breaker for the Creta apart from the obvious sticker price.
One major point is XUV is a 7 seater and Creta is not. I guess that is very important to most people- getting more for the price you are paying. For me I would prefer the Creta to XUV anyday.
Old 11th December 2015, 18:26   #94
BHPian

Quote:
What are the 3 or 4 most important points for a buyer to choose the XUV AT over the Creta AT.

XUV is a size bigger, has 7 seats, is more spacious, has a few more safety features(6 airbags, ESP, hill assist).

AWD is also available.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:29   #95
BHPian

One more point to be considered here is 'how does car hold up after three years'.
I have used two hyundai's and my opinion is they provide great feel in first two years but ride quality, suspention etc deterioates quite a bit from there on.
Whereas I am using XUV for last 45 months and it still drives more or less the same way. There are no suspention noise, no ratteling, clutch has not harden up and engine still pulls like a train.
My vote goes for XUV AT.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 22:37   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been on lookout for a SUV/ big car for last 2 years! I have not taken test drive of all but my need is more depending on the limitation of my city traffic and roads. Moreover I'm in search of a good highway cruiser, but something that I can take out in my city also.

I did like the ride of XUV but Duster AWD has the best amongst what I drove. But Scorpio has a better road presence than XUV in my part of country. Basically, it leaves me to decide between Creta and Duster AWD. I spend nearly same amount for both but get different features especially on safety front, like Creta gets me 6 airbags but Duster gives me AWD. But if you take S Cross into account, the 1.6 wins at few places. I'm equally confused as you all.

My vote for Duster AWD.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:47   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on my reading, I didn't see any major factor as a deal breaker for the Creta apart from the obvious sticker price.
The Creta AT isn't fully loaded, doesn't get some 'premium' features (leather wrapped steering, 17 " alloys to name a few) and it's terribly expensive. It also doesn't get 6 airbags and rear disc brakes.

For a small premium over the Creta, the XUV gives you a W8 which is extremely well loaded.

There are a lot of people who evaluate a car based on it's real estate, XUV wins hands down.

OTOH, I know people who don't want the XUV 500 due to it's size and the brand(very few in number).

My personal preference for an AT car would be the city SV. Use the price difference for the petrol.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 11th December 2015 at 22:49.
Old 20th December 2015, 21:57   #98
BHPian

I am looking to buy a SUV/Mini SUV. I will mostly be driving in Delhi, some occasional weekend trip and one or two long distance trip with family and kids. We are planned a trip to Zanskar and Leh Circuit in late July of 2016. Keeping in mind my requirements I had almost finalized XUV500 however the Supreme Court ban on registration has put spanner on my plans. Ideally I needed a 7 seater but I guess that will not be possible now and I think I am left with these three options:

1. Hyundai Creta- No Discount, Delivery in 4 months.
2. Renault Duster – Immediate delivery, discount of Rs. 1 lakhs; facelift being launched in February 2016.
3. Suzuki S-Cross – Discount of 2 Lakhs on 1.6 Alpha/Zata.

Suzuki offer is tempting but I also want the vehicle to take me to the places and my mind is oscillating between these three vehicles. Price does matter but I do not want to compromise on the ride quality and safety. I can wait few months for better options.

I need some advice, please help.

Last edited by dinesha : 20th December 2015 at 21:59.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:41   #99
BANNED

Quote:
A silly comment! ....Hyundai is robbing people with insane pricing.
That was spot on, DriveOnceMore! - robbing people with insane pricing! Not to mention passing off hatches-on-steroids as SUVs. The last one they had approaching an SUV in India was the Santa Fe. Tho', for my money, the current Scorpio would be hard beat as the title winner for the Real SUV (yes, you're right - I'm a happy Scorpio owner for the past 10 years & more!)
Old 28th December 2015, 09:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
I am looking to buy a SUV/Mini SUV. I will mostly be driving in Delhi, some occasional weekend trip and one or two long distance trip with family and kids.

1. Hyundai Creta- No Discount, Delivery in 4 months.
2. Renault Duster – Immediate delivery, discount of Rs. 1 lakhs; facelift being launched in February 2016.
3. Suzuki S-Cross – Discount of 2 Lakhs on 1.6 Alpha/Zata.

I need some advice, please help.
Hi Dinesha!
I don't see a point in going for overpriced Creta. (Given the fact that you don't
want AT option. As the Creta is the only diesel AT available on the shelf)
As AutoExpo is around the corner, I suggest you to better wait now. (But be ready for Additional One Time Tax that Supreme Court is thinking of for small diesel cars)
If you wait, you may get few more newer options at your disposal:
1. Renault Duster face-lift (probably 7-seater variant as well).
2. MS Vitara Brezza.
3. Honda BR-V (Also a 7 seater but may not get launched during the Expo)

Now considering the SC's ban on bigger diesels, Delhi-ets are only left with MPVs as an option if they want a 7 seater.
Considering this fact I see Renault taking advantage of it and launch Duster with third row of seats.
Also, doesn't seem feasible as off now but it is rumored that Mahindra is thinking of launching XUV 500 with smaller engine. Auto Expo may have answer to that as well.

PS: Why don't you have TUV 300 on your list?
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 13:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see a point in going for overpriced Creta. (Given the fact that you don't want AT option. As the Creta is the only diesel AT available on the shelf)
Creta AT is not available of the shelf, in fact there is nearly a years waiting for the AT, manuals are available of the shelf, the XUV500 AT is also available within a month of booking.

Rahul
Old 23rd February 2016, 03:13   #102
BHPian

What pre-owned SUV in the 10-13 lac range

Hello Team-Bhpians, a Newbie here. A longish post but I really need your help.

I am coming back to India from the US after 5 years and trying to decide what ride to get. I might go back to the US (if things work out) in about a year to 18 months time. But because of family reasons, I am not sure if I'll want it. And, I want to keep my options open so I can make an informed decision on going back to the US later.

My current car in the US is a Toyota Camry. I have driven a variety a cars and SUVs here but have never owned a car in India. (OT: I have a post in the intro section if anyone cares about my BHP err. Background)

Here are my requirements, roughly in the order of importance.
  1. Safety: Airbags. Prefer 6, 2 ok. Traction control, stability control, ABS, EBD needed (not insisting on everything, but a reasonable subset of these features will do).
  2. Reliability.
  3. Size/Comfort: Should be able to accommodate 4 adults and a 5 yr old (with booster seat), comfortably. Comfort on broken roads as well as highway is needed. Go anywhere (not hardcore off-roading) ability would be a plus.
  4. Resale value: This is very important to me. If I do decide to leave the country, I don't want to lose a bunch of cash (reasonable depreciation is fine).
  5. Fuel type: Don't really care Diesel or Petrol but leaning towards Diesel because of it being freely available in the highways. But not sure if that really is a moot point. Not too sensitive about NVH, but it's the rattles and the odd cabin noises that annoy me.
  6. Auto vs Manual: Doesn't really matter. I want a manual but the missus has only ever driven an auto so she prefers that. I don't mind driving an auto, and she has expressed being open to driving manual. So, other points, especially points 4 can/will override this decision.
  7. Driving pleasure. This point would have appeared in the top two 5 years back, but sadly appears here now. But it is still important. I don't consider myself a "sedate" driver but am not a heavy right footer either. Driving experience is important to me.
  8. Budget: 10-13 lacs OTR (might stretch to 15 but it will be a huge heart vs brain fight)
  9. Sedan vs SUV: Having driven a sedan for a long time, I am leaning towards an SUV. But willing to be convinced otherwise.

Ok, so based on those here's my shortlist (in no particular order). When considering used, I would prefer no older than 4 years, and less than 75K running (is this too restrictive?). It is completely based on the information I gathered in this forum through the (excellent) reviews and (equally well written) ownership feedbacks. I haven't actually driven any of these:
  1. Used XUV500 W8
    With or without AWD.
    Likes: Driveability, comfort, size, safety, road presence. Decent amount of go anywhere capability (AWD)
    Dislikes: Niggles reported for pre refresh models. Not sure about A.S.S. Resale value for a second owner.
  2. Used Duster/Terano 110ps
    With or without AWD
    Likes - Small package big presence. Looks (Terano). Go anywhere ability. Ride quality. Easy city dweller.
    Dislikes: Interiors. Turbo lag.
    Only considering used at this point as I think new is not a value for money proposition.
  3. New Creta: SX+ Petrol
    Likes - Refined. Reasonably well equipped. Niggle free for the most part. Resale value. City dweller.
    Dislikes: Waiting period (?). Ride/handling. "Soft" for an SUV. Pricey for what's on offer.
  4. New S-Cross 1.6 alpha
    Really like this car. Had it not been for the news of it being discontinued/slowed production, I would have bought it.
    Likes: Engine, Driveability. Equipment level. Nexa A.S.S (?). Good value after price cuts and (hopefully) dealer discounts.
    Dislikes: Not an SUV - In reality and in people's perception. Resale value, especially since it might be discontinued.
  5. Used Storme 4x4
    Likes: Real SUV. Awesome road presence. Comfort. Go anywhere capability.
    Dislikes: Decade old looks. Handles like an SUV (not a bad thing depending on who you ask). Not sure how cumbersome it will be in the city, considering my wife will drive almost everyday. Niggles. Not sure about resale value.
  6. New Ecosport Ecoboost Titanium
    Likes: Safety - 6 airbags. Looks good. Very well equipped. High speed ride. Easy to maneuver around city.
    Dislikes: Not sure about turbo lag in city. Size - 5th passenger not comfortable and boot space. Waiting period (?)
  7. Others
    (A guy can hope, can't he?):
    Used BMW X1. Used Fortuner. Used Passat 4motion.

If I buy new, I will probably seal the deal in the last week of March to get some negotiating leverage. Otherwise I have more flexibility in timing.

Now decision, decisions...
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:08   #103
Team-BHP Support

Re: What pre-owned SUV in the 10-13 lac range

Since you have a lot of uncertainty about long term prospects and you need less hassle. I would suggest in no particular order

1: Duster - tough, no nonsense
2: Previous model Honda CRV - plenty around and good value.
3: Mitsubishi Outlander - great package but parts may be difficult and may take a while to sell
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:34   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Preowned or lease hire? If you are not yet sure I would suggest go for self drive hire for inner city driving and Zoom (or equivalent) for less frequent out station trips. Once you settle down then spend money on new car.

With budget of 15lac parked in bank this would fairly compensate monthly hire charges.

Last edited by sudev : 23rd February 2016 at 08:35.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:52   #105
BHPian

Go for a Duster!

Amazing workhorse. you will not be disappointed.

Best part of duster is its practicality. If you worried about lag go for AWD. I own one. due to its short gearing there is hardly any lag. When driven sensibly gives anywhere between 14-15 and worst mileage while pushing it is 12.

Beauty of the Car is it handles and rides very well! I have a ford ikon too. everytime I use the duster and switch back to IKON(has low profile tyres) i need to be very careful since am so adjusted to Duster gobbling up potholes with ease
hiran77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed