Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 11:49   #121
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta vs Renault Duster vs Mahindra XUV500 vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veels n Rhodes View Post
Thanks Friends for your valuable suggestions, With heavy Heart, I will remove Base Creta CRDI from my list, I will consider S-Cross 1.3 Zeta & Ford Ecosport TDCi Titanium , Also - I will check out Vitara Brezza once I am back in India. I will look for other options including Elite I-20 ASTA(0) seems to be also a good buy even it is segment below, considering touch screen infotainment system and smooth 1.4 CRDI engine with 90 bhp and 220 NM torque (more torque than Ecosport and S-cross 1.3) and also can modify it
If you are keen on a crossover(and the I20), then you can also look at the I20 Active. It will give you all the features of the I20 but with an increased ground clearance. Also it looks much better than the I20 IMO, especially in the red colour.
The top end diesel costs around 11.5 lakhs. Though at that price point, the Ecosport Titanium and the S-Cross Zeta make more sense.

Last edited by AYP : 8th March 2016 at 12:13.
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:01   #122
BHPian

5 or 7 seater options - Budget max. 15L on-road

Hi Team,

We are looking forward to add a new ride to our stable and have the below considerations in front of us. Would highly appreciate inputs!!

1. We already have a 2011 Honda City VX with only around 30K on the odo. This car will stay for a few more years to come.
2. Looking forward to a 7 seater (Full time or part time). All seven seats will be used only on a couple of occasions in the entire year.
3. Should be reliable as it will be maintained driven by my F-I-L or at times his driver.
4. Max budget is 15L. Cannot be stretched beyond that.

Following are the options I had in mind:

1. XUV 5OO:
+ VFM product
+ Full time 5 which can be used as a 7 seater, albeit the boot space.
- ASS considerations - hit or miss

2. Hyundai Creta:
+ Newest kid on the block
+ Quite handsomely loaded
+ Hyundai's reliability
- Can seat only 5. No option of 7 seats (Though not a deal breaker)
- Pricing

3. Renault Lodgy:
+ VFM product
+ 7 seats with some decent boot space
- Is it really selling?
- Might become more popular as a taxi in coming days (as a Innova replacement)
- Servicing
- Ground clearance on full load

I have purposely left out Duster, Safari Storme, Ertiga, Mobilio for the following reasons:

(These are strictly my personal opinion and I mean no offence to anyone on the forum)

Duster: Even with the face lift, still feels out-dated
Safari Storme: Strictly a 5-seater, misses out on some features which competition is offering, too bulky for F-I-L to manage
Ertiga: Did not find it comfortable enough on my Pune - Udaipur drive, Felt it a bit under powered with 7 on-board
Mobilio: Already have a Honda, Interiors feel drab.

We also have an Ecosport diesel top-end, so might keep it lower down the wish list.

Would highly appreciate inputs on which other cars can we look at OR which would be a better buy from the above three contenders.

Long term reliability would be a key factor for us.

MODS: If a similar topic already exists, can you please merge this thread? I could not find a specific thread so created a new one.
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:34   #123
Team-BHP Support

Re: 5 or 7 seater options - Budget max. 15L on-road

Easy.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/BRV/
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:55   #124
Senior - BHPian

If you are ever considering a 5 seater in this price bracket, the DDIS320 S-Cross must be on the list as a perfect all-rounder.

If 7 seats are what you need, go for the XUV (though considering you said you would need all seven seats only once or twice a year, I don't understand why it is important at all).

Hexa is coming out soon and could be interesting. I'm sure Tata will offer a variant within your price range.

Lodgy is a good product just looks boring that's all.

You would be able to find a top condition used Innova for your money and you will thank yourself for that in the long run. Extremely easy car to live with and drive, wont give you any trouble for years or even decades and will remain robust till the very end.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:20   #125
BHPian

If all the 7 seats are going to be occupied by adults it has to be the Renault Lodgy!
Of course it doesn't score well in the looks department. But all in all is a much more VFM product and can serve for years! Ride and handling is stable on triple digit speeds as well. Space wise is it's much more comfortable than the Innova too. You can expect a few discounts from Renault as well.

P.S-Am surprised you didn't include the Toyota Innova as one of the contenders!
Skyline_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:38   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I second this. You can check the BRV's interior and exterior and won't feel the drabness of our old Honda's. I too use a 2011 CVT city and an Innova 8 seater and will be buying the BRV ( petrol CVT) as soon as it is available. Doing away with Diesel vehicles,since my usage doesn't justify it.

Quote:
Innova in 15 Lakhs OTR would be the bare bones version.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 3rd April 2016 at 12:59.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 13:08   #127
BHPian

I own a Lodgy and trust me the ground clearance holds good with 8 people on board as well as excess of luggage. It is a highly reliable and VFM product. And since you had mentioned you only need a 5 or 7 seater you can opt for the variant with captain seats. It feels really ROYAL! But if looks is a priority then look at a XUV or Creta. Happy hunting
just_in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 14:42   #128
BHPian

Considering you are in Pune, I wonder what variant of XUV500 will be in your budget. W6 loses out on quite a big chunk of features that make XUV nice in my opinion. Add to it, the reliability issues and the bulkiness, the only way I would recommend XUV500 is if you get a good deal and W8 came in your budget. I would also look at Scorpio if you want to go with Mahindra.

The Creta, though a good car seems overpriced. I personally don't like the design of Lodgy, but that's your perspective.

I wouldn't finalise anything without waiting for BRV. It seems like it would match all your requirements. Should be spacious, even when taking 7, considering how spacious Mobilio was. And initial reviews have commented how car like it is to drive, so should be easy for your father in law. it is expected here in the month of May.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Thank you! Will read more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you are ever considering a 5 seater in this price bracket, the DDIS320 S-Cross must be on the list as a perfect all-rounder.

If 7 seats are what you need, go for the XUV (though considering you said you would need all seven seats only once or twice a year, I don't understand why it is important at all).

Hexa is coming out soon and could be interesting. I'm sure Tata will offer a variant within your price range.

Lodgy is a good product just looks boring that's all.

You would be able to find a top condition used Innova for your money and you will thank yourself for that in the long run. Extremely easy car to live with and drive, wont give you any trouble for years or even decades and will remain robust till the very end.
Thanks for the S-Cross option. Yes, they are offering some great discounts too. Added to the list!

Knowing TATA, I am not sure how soon Hexa might hit he shores. We would want to buy the new car around June-July time frame. If it comes with all safety features for a few notches above 15L, I might be able to convince him! I too like the way Hexa is shaping up!

F-I-L is not too inclined for a pre-worshipped car as it will be on company lease. Moreover, current all the taxis in his office are Innova and would stay away from it.
Also, I think the current gen Innova's production is halted, if I am not wrong. The new Innova might be way off his budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
If all the 7 seats are going to be occupied by adults it has to be the Renault Lodgy!
Of course it doesn't score well in the looks department. But all in all is a much more VFM product and can serve for years! Ride and handling is stable on triple digit speeds as well. Space wise is it's much more comfortable than the Innova too. You can expect a few discounts from Renault as well.

Thank you!

I too personally like the Lodgy, however looking at the sales numbers and the apparent fate it might meet after the new Innova is launched is what we are thinking off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I second this. You can check the BRV's interior and exterior and won't feel the drabness of our old Honda's. I too use a 2011 CVT city and an Innova 8 seater and will be buying the BRV ( petrol CVT) as soon as it is available. Doing away with Diesel vehicles,since my usage doesn't justify it.

Innova in 15 Lakhs OTR would be the bare bones version.
Thank you! Yes, included the BRV to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
I own a Lodgy and trust me the ground clearance holds good with 8 people on board as well as excess of luggage. It is a highly reliable and VFM product. And since you had mentioned you only need a 5 or 7 seater you can opt for the variant with captain seats. It feels really ROYAL! But if looks is a priority then look at a XUV or Creta. Happy hunting
Thank you! Since you own a lodgy and have a first hand experience about its ground clearance gives me more confidence!
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

The city is the best 5 seater option in your price range, but since you have one already, don't think you'll be inclined to buy another.

The options:
1. S-Cross
2. XUV 500
3. Scorpio
4. BR-V (to be launched)
5. Used Fortuner
6. Tata Hexa (to be launched)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 16:34   #131
BHPian

The BRV petrol CVT is the obvious answer to your requirements. You don't need a diesel with your low running hence the XUV is not needed. The BRV looks better than any other MUV in the market and should have good 3rd row space. Since u already own a honda the aftersales will also be known. Just wait for sometime and book one for yourself.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:54   #132
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies! BRV does look like a tempting option and we have decided to wait and watch until it hits the road. Anyway, we are looking at June/July time frame to buy the new car. By then I am sure our Team-BHP review of BRV will be out and will be the deciding factor to take the plunge!
Old 24th April 2016, 19:11   #133
BHPian

Hello friends have been obsessing over the 3 cars with the biggest vote percentage margins namely the duster, creta and xuv for over 6 months now. Last week did a test drive of all the three and here are my two cents :
The variants i'm interested in are Duster AWD 2016, Creta Sx O and XUV W10 AWD
A few points for consideration :

1) Air conditioning - Duster was struggling, creta was decent and the xuv was a chiller.
2) Offers - no offers on the first two due to new release/ high demand, xuv had a 50 pc. discount on the insurance
3) Delivery times - 1 month for duster awd and xuv awd , creta was 2-3 months
4) interiors - Creta won this one, followed by XUV and the extremely plain duster
5) DRL- not present in any of the three

Overall the most fun to drive and the vehicle which felt most like a SUV was definitely the XUV the experience was completely different from the other two vehicles.
I had done a test drive of XUV in June of last year and had already voted on this forum for the XUV then after trying out the other two my vote still stands and I hope to book the XUV AWD soon.
Please note this is my personal opinion and both the other cars are formidable in their own right.
Keep Revving! Cheers!
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 07:15   #134
BHPian

The BIG dilemma - Help please

Dear fellow BHP members,

Would love to hear your views on my requirements of a new car. Am in complete dilemma, and need your help to get out of it.

My background
- From Kochi, family of four (Kids are of the age 6 and 3 years)
- Wife's parents are dependent on us. So, occasional rides include them especially to hospital and family functions, and very rarely outings too.
- i love driving, especially crave for long drives. Been to many places in South India so far, in my M800, i10, Figo and Etios, in the last 12+ years.

Basic Needs
1. 7 seater - To accommodate parents on those occasional once/twice a month drive. Also, during long drives, i think kids can comfortably sleep in 2 rows each.

2. 4x4. The only reason i want this feature is the fact that my next leg of journey would be to north India. Read many TBHP travelogues and realised that a AWD would help us to get out of any murky situations with ease, especially hills and snowy regions of Kashmir, Himachal, Sikkim etc.

3. Automatic - My wife has a license to drive 'automatic' (only). She is adamant in helping me during those day long drives, so that the load is shared.

4. Good looking design - I understand that this is a 'subjective' matter, however, it should at least be good looking for us and make us proud.

5. Budget of 20 lakhs. One or two lakhs plus or minus, is also ok. Btw, this budget is a really hard-earned money. I am currently working abroad and family is in India to take care of my father-in-law, who is a convalescing 'stroke' patient. We miss each other badly and the only reason i continue to work here is to amass some cash and buy a car that 'tick' all of our requirements.
Btw, i will be back to India in July this year.

6. Safety and reliability - This is very important especially all my trips would include my wife and kids. Absolutely don't want to get stranded in a remote place during our long trips.

Research done so far and the outcome
1. Started off with T-Fort AWD AT (34L on-road) - It perfectly matched all our requirements, except budget. I can go with a loan, however, that would strain my monthly budget very badly.
Moreover, it doesn't seem to be VFM.

2. XUV500 AWD AT (22L on-road) - This one too matched all of our requirements, including budget. However, am a bit sceptical about comments in various forums about niggles and poor after sales support. I really need peace of mind as it is hard-earned 20L. Is this a deal-breaker?

3. Duster AWD (15L on-road) - Btw, there is no AT on this variant. Moreover, it is not a 7 seater. But, am bowled over by its ride and handling. It is a perfect go-anywhere vehicle, absolutely abuse friendly.

4. Innova crysta AT (may be 25L on-road) - This one is a very good proposition, except that it is not a 4x4. However, will Innova be able to take me comfortably through Kashmir and Himachal valleys especially on stretches with slush and snow (once in a life-time though)? Also, i have plans to visit each and every state in our country atleast once.

I'm inclined towards XUV and Innova at this point in time.

Kindly share your thoughts.
Old 1st May 2016, 11:51   #135
Team-BHP Support

Re: The BIG dilemma - Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringStar View Post

2. 4x4. The only reason i want this feature is the fact that my next leg of journey would be to north India. Read many TBHP travelogues and realised that a AWD would help us to get out of any murky situations with ease, especially hills and snowy regions of Kashmir, Himachal, Sikkim etc.
Remove this from "basic needs" list.

If you want to explore Kashmir, fly to Delhi and hire a Zoomcar 4x4 from there. If you want to explore Sikkim, fly to Kolkata and again, hire a Zoomcar.

The biggest advantage of doing something like this is that you can shave off 4 to 6 days from your trip duration.

And when you remove the 4x4 requirement, you now have a much wider variety & price range of vehicles to choose from
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks