Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta 190 20.90%
Renault Duster 154 16.94%
Mahindra XUV500 379 41.69%
Ford EcoSport 63 6.93%
Mahindra Scorpio 37 4.07%
Tata Safari Storme 86 9.46%
Voters: 909. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:07   #151
BHPian

Re: Automatic 5 Seater SUV Recommendation

Currently you have got 4 options in order of price
  1. TUV300 AMT
  2. Ford Ecosport Titanium AT
  3. Renault Duster AMT
  4. Hyundai Creta Petrol AT

Of these considering the extremely low running, I would go for Ford Ecosport Titanium AT followed closely by Hyundai Creta.

Ecosport is a very good value for money, compact, so its good for city driving, and has a wonderful gearbox too. Resale of Ecosport AT might be a little iffy, but the value for money proposition makes it worthwhile.

Creta is a supreme all round vehicle, with high quality interiors, Hyundai's reliability, and would in all probability have better resale than Ecosport but I highly doubt whether you will be able to recover the 3 lakhs difference between the two. The Creta is more spacious of the two, though Ecosport is not in cramped category.

The Creta has touchscreen infotainment system, though where Ecosport scores is more safety equipments, and a superior DSG gearbox. The Ecosport is also better in driving dynamics.

The big deciding factor will be space and smoothness of AT box on both these cars. I feel Ecosport is a strong value for money for less than 10 lakhs, and would be my pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
How's the rear seat comfort in Creta? Most of my family members are 6+ ft. I found Honda City rear seats quite spacious in my last trip.
Considering this, Hyundai Creta would come over Ecosport. Though its best to compare the seating space in person.

Last edited by autorahul : 3rd May 2016 at 22:08. Reason: Quote added
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:50   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How's the rear seat comfort in Creta? Most of my family members are 6+ ft. I found Honda City rear seats quite spacious in my last trip.
Limited experience only so you should probably check out the ownership threads for more relevant advice on long-term usage. Nothing like a first-hand trial, best if you can have your parents try it out in-person.

It's definitely better than Ecosport, which not only has a relatively cramped rear, but also stiffer ride quality, neither of which is ideal considering primary usage by older folks at home.

Creta has good ride, acceptable handling for a Hyundai and interior quality is top-notch. The 1.6 Petrol is one of most refined out there and the A/T box is decent, though not a match for dual-clutch boxes. Misses some good-to-have features but no real deal-breakers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd May 2016 at 22:51.
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The 1.6 Petrol is one of most refined out there and the A/T box is decent, though not a match for dual-clutch boxes. Misses some good-to-have features but no real deal-breakers.
So far looks like Creta is a good bet for my parents need! I'll ask my dad to go for a test drive, get a feel of it. I'll check the ownership reviews in detail. Does the SX Plus Auto comes with leather? Hyundai's website doesn't show leather as standard in SX+. Why is SXO trim not offered in Automatic?

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 3rd May 2016 at 23:45.
Old 4th May 2016, 00:03   #154
Senior - BHPian

Only products that suit your requirements are the Creta and XUV500. Personally I would stretch it for the XUV500 but the final call ought to be taken by your parents. A used Honda CR-V or Nissan X-Trail would make for a much better option IMO. Do seriously consider those.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 00:29   #155
BHPian

Hi Viper,
I would highly recommend waiting for BRV CVT. Fold down the third row and use as a boot all the time until want to seat 6 or 7 onboard. It comes with a more than enough GC of 210mm and comes with a long lived Honda engine which is a gem and not to mention it will be more fuss free than Creta or XUV.
Old 4th May 2016, 00:34   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
A used Honda CR-V or Nissan X-Trail would make for a much better option IMO. Do seriously consider those.
Used Honda CR-V sounds like a good option. Which year to consider?

Couldn't find SX+ Automatic ownership reviews. Will keep looking though.
Old 4th May 2016, 00:37   #157
Senior - BHPian

Any model beyond 2008 depending on what kind of kms it has clocked. 9-10 lakhs should be more than sufficient to find one in superb condition
Old 4th May 2016, 00:54   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
A used Honda CR-V or Nissan X-Trail would make for a much better option IMO. Do seriously consider those.
I second that. On reading your requirements the only car that fits the bill is a CR-V. For you budget you cab get a used 2013 facelift petrol CR-V. Do check it out.
Old 4th May 2016, 00:56   #159
Senior - BHPian

Automatic 5 Seater SUV Recommendation

If you are keen on a new car, Then the Creta Petrol AT makes a lot of sense. It's a brilliant package for the price.

If you are fine with used cars then you can easily get a CR-V under 10L. It is going to be a lot more spacious when compared to cars like the Creta/Duster/Ecosport. It will be far more comfortable and easy to maintain thanks to the widespread Honda after sales service. IMHO CR-V's fuel efficiency will be at par with that of the Creta. And frankly for an annual usage of 3-5k kms it is hardly going to be a deal breaker. On the other hand you can also have a look at the Grand Vitara in the used market. They will be much cheaper!

Asit

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 4th May 2016 at 00:58.
Old 4th May 2016, 00:58   #160
Senior - BHPian

The Jazz automatic ticks all the right boxes here

You do not sit low at all but its almost like sitting on a chair that been slid under your bum. Easy to get on & off, front & rear. Bonus, the rear doors open almost 90% and the door cavity is so big that anyeone with the longest legs will not have an issue getting on and off.

A friend who is 6"2" has one and he can easily sit in the rear seat with the front seat configured for himself. If you found the City spacious (sic) then you will find that Jazz has acres of space.

In an SUV the old folks, never mind how tall they are will have an issue climbing in to one. Further none of the so called suvs have a comfortable ride in their second row seats. This is true from a 10L one to one that costs 50L.

Jazz Petrol comes with an automatic gear box.

Is a true 5 seater and has enough space in the back for luggage too.

A Honda will not only give you the reliability and ease of maintenance but good resale too(try selling a 5 year old Hyundai leave aside a 10 year old one).

Moreover Honda is one of the few engines that will purr to life even after 1 year of standing still and will be ready to drive without any brakes sticking up and what not(as long as your battery holds up)

The Jazz auto in Petrol, V variant will be around 10L depending on where in the country you register it.

You can get it in diesel too but there is no auto box and at the milage that you have mentioned buying a diesel would be throwing good money after bad.

If you are still hung up on getting an SUV type vehicle then go for the about to be launched (this week) Honda BRV.

Forget the Mahindra,Renault, Ford & Hyundai unless you want your Father spending time at the service centres instead of the Club.

Ciao

Quote:
... prefer good looking SUV.

--SUV bcos parents can't sit low (Knee issues)
--Automatic bcos dad drives himself.
--5 seater, just my parents. I rent a 7 seater for once a year trip to HYD.

Petrol Vs Diesel???
My parents visit US almost every year, car sits for 6 months, is that good for diesel? For the Km driven, is it worth getting a diesel?

Reliability, maintenance, resale are something that we all wish for but again we got to compromise somewhere, so I dont expect to have all the boxes checked but Automatic and SUV is the top criteria. My budget is around 15L ex showroom but I'm flexible.

As always, Thanks for your time and valuable inputs
Quote:
..........Most of my family members are 6+ ft. I found Honda City rear seats quite spacious in my last trip.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 01:04   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the SX Plus Auto comes with leather? Hyundai's website doesn't show leather as standard in SX+.
Dealers would be best placed to give you details on current trim levels, Hyundai updates stuff pretty frequently these days. I wouldn't trust the site/brochure at face value either.

Quote:
Why is SXO trim not offered in Automatic?
Creta is already overpriced for what it offers (personal opinion only), and Hyundai probably didn't want to push it too far for what's ultimately a hatchback on stilts, by offering a heavily overpriced SX(O) A/T. You'll be hard-pressed to find most mass-market A/T products offered in the top trim level.

A used CR-V is a good option, if you can find a clean sample. It's a niche car with a solid fan following, plus Honda continues to sell it negating any part availability concerns you may have. Car-like to drive, available in A/T and absolutely bullet-proof reliability.
Old 4th May 2016, 03:00   #162
BHPian

The Creta SX+ A/T Petrol seems to be the right bet as it fits all your requirements, to me this variant makes the most sense too as it gets all the necessary features at the right price, The SX(O) variant is definitely a tad over-priced. No point going for a diesel variant as your running is quite limited and as you mentioned the car stays parked for almost 6 months. In my experience a petrol car ages way better than a diesel. My 7 year old Petrol i20 is still running absolutely fine whereas a cousin ended up selling his diesel Dzire VDi bought at the same period due to rattling and excessive engine noise issues even though he had clocked around 65,000 kms whereas my car has clocked a little over 56,700 kms.
Old 4th May 2016, 07:29   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Few inputs.
  • The Creta suits your requirements perfectly. Definitely worth a test drive. On the downside, the petrol AT had just been launched and I doubt that dealers will have a TD vehicle yet. Have not read reports of any one picking up one yet here in this forum.
  • The Ford Ecosport is also worth looking at. Rear is less spacious than the Creta and ride may be a little stiff. We got one recently in my family and my parents in law were very happy with the seating and also ingress egress. Additionally the Ecosport comes with additional safety features like 6 Airbags, hill assist, electronic stability control. None of the other options discussed here has it.
  • The next option is the BR-V ( not to be confused with the CRV). New 7 seater from Honda launching on 5th May. A competent vehicle from the reports and comes in petrol AT. May be a little big for the requirements, but worth looking at. Downside is that it is a fresh product and hence you will not have previous history/experiences to review.
  • As already mentioned above, worthwhile to check the premium hatch as well as sedan options. Not all are low seating and may end up being more comfortable.
  • Would recommend used cars like the CRV only if none of the above fits the need
Old 4th May 2016, 08:35   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,
10 yrs back I got a Swift for my parents after input from BHPian's. I'm planning to replace that swift with a Compact/Mid Size 5 seater Automatic SUV and I need your help again. I haven't seen any of the recent SUV's in person so I'm not sure of their road presence, prefer good looking SUV.
For the usage mentioned, a petrol car would be good enough. I would recommend the Ecosport AT – well loaded with safety features like 6 airbags, ESP etc. And it will be easy to drive around for your dad.

You have not mentioned the city you’re in, but a low-mileage used Mercedes B-Class maybe another good option to look at (http://www.mercedescertified.in/show...priceband=none)
Old 4th May 2016, 10:01   #165
BHPian

Based on what I understand, you need
  • High seating so that you parents do not have to sit down, but slide in /out of the seat
  • Automatic
  • Mainly city drive car, which can occasionally make out station trip as well
  • Spacious
  • Reliable

Why not Suzuki Ertiga petrol auto?

It meets all your requirements fully, is much cheaper to buy and also can work as a 7 seater for your Hyderabad visit. Also out of all the options it would be best suited for intra-city use and also have the least depreciation. Plus a Swift driver will be perfectly at home in an Ertiga.
You may find ownership tread of this car here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

Also you may consider BRV Auto. I personally have never sat in one, but have traveled in a Mobilio on which it is based. The seats in a Mobilio are not low and I expect the seating in BRV to be slightly higher than Mobilio.

Last edited by i_see : 4th May 2016 at 10:10. Reason: Adding link to ownership thread
i_see is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks