Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 13:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Simply offer your best and let it be. If the owner is desperate he will sell at 16. I don't see him getting a buyer at even 20 let alone 24.
I checked out the 2013 one with 44,000 kms. The car seems to be in good condition. However, the tyres do need a replacement. I offered 14L for the car but the dealer is stuck on 17. I'm hoping he'll negotiate down further.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:00   #32
BANNED

Finally, did you get a CRV? Did you see any other vehicles after that ?
Old 16th October 2016, 22:37   #33
KYG

I've gone through this thread. Thank you to all the earlier replies/comments. Its been helpful. And nor for a very similar question.

2010 (end) Honda CRV 2.4MT - 60,000km, what's the going rate?

An acquaintance of is selling this car, its well kept and I know the guy kept it well, so pretty interested in taking it over from him. I thought that an offer of 6.5L that would be fair. He thinks its work 11L because of some online evaluator. Any inputs or yet better experience on this would be great. I need to give the guy an answer quick as he's ordering a new car and wants this one out before the new one comes.
Old 31st January 2017, 10:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYG View Post
I've gone through this thread. Thank you to all the earlier replies/comments. Its been helpful. And nor for a very similar question.

2010 (end) Honda CRV 2.4MT - 60,000km, what's the going rate?

An acquaintance of is selling this car, its well kept and I know the guy kept it well, so pretty interested in taking it over from him. I thought that an offer of 6.5L that would be fair. He thinks its work 11L because of some online evaluator. Any inputs or yet better experience on this would be great. I need to give the guy an answer quick as he's ordering a new car and wants this one out before the new one comes.

What happened finally? I am thinking of either a CR-V or an outlander or an X-trail. Mileage is what is bugging me about the CR-V. What's it like on highways?
Old 31st January 2017, 11:02   #35
KYG

The vehicle was in good condition and I finally offered 7L as final with no regret. I didn't get the CR-V. Sad in a way, but actually in hind site I was very happy it didn't work out. I think it would have been a white elephant. This is a lovely crossover for India, a great compromise between a car, and able to handle some of our less good roads, has the power, creature comforts with a touch of luxury. The BUT's are (after talking to some Honda mechanics, and a friend that owns a preowned one)

The CR-V has close to no resale value, so once you buy it, just use it as best you can and expect the resale value to crash rapidly. Spare parts are expensive (as in Accord pricing) and being a slightly larger vehicle the spares also tend to we are out a little faster. Simple example is tyres, a new set will put you back approximately 60k, a clutch job 30k, insurance 30k, etc. So its a great vehicle, but it costs to keep it going. If you can handle the cost as part of running the vehicle just because you "need" it and would like to travel in a little more comfort and have a little fun, then by all means I'd say go for it great car.

In my case, I am happy I didn't end up owning the car, wouldn't have been able to justify the cost for the fun I'd get out of the car. So all in all: depends how much you'll be using it. This is pretty inconclusive, but I hope it gives you some direction. Good luck.

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2017 at 11:20. Reason: Formatted
KYG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 16:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYG View Post
The CR-V has close to no resale value, so once you buy it, just use it as best you can and expect the resale value to crash rapidly. Spare parts are expensive (as in Accord pricing) and being a slightly larger vehicle the spares also tend to we are out a little faster. Simple example is tyres, a new set will put you back approximately 60k, a clutch job 30k, insurance 30k, etc. So its a great vehicle, but it costs to keep it going. If you can handle the cost as part of running the vehicle just because you "need" it and would like to travel in a little more comfort and have a little fun, then by all means I'd say go for it great car.
You have just outlined all the most valid points that everyone needs to consider when buying a used D-Segment vehicle. The sad bit is almost all of them are not manufactured here in India. Even simple wearable items like tyres; as far as I know tyre manufacturers only manufacture upto 15" tyres here in India, recently adding 16" tyres but only limited number of models. The costs you have outlined are characteristic for practically any D-Segment vehicle and this is what members mean by saying be sure you have got the money to maintain the car. Just because their resale value is low and you can buy them cheap, does not mean the maintenance costs have dipped any lower than their 20 lakh plus brand new price tag would suggest.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 17:03   #37
KYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You have just outlined all the most valid points that everyone needs to consider when buying a used D-Segment vehicle. The sad bit is almost all of them are not manufactured here in India. Even simple wearable items like tyres; as far as I know tyre manufacturers only manufacture upto 15" tyres here in India, recently adding 16" tyres but only limited number of models. The costs you have outlined are characteristic for practically any D-Segment vehicle and this is what members mean by saying be sure you have got the money to maintain the car. Just because their resale value is low and you can buy them cheap, does not mean the maintenance costs have dipped any lower than their 20 lakh plus brand new price tag would suggest.
You have further summarised the D-segment used conundrum. Nice vehicles, but it costs to keep them going. Acquiring is one things and maintenance is an aspect aspect on its own. Cheers for your input.
KYG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Always stick to a Honda or Toyota for any thing in the used car space above 5 lakhs. The reliability is benchmark.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Good choice opting for a CRV manishkapadia. I have been a proud owner of a 2.4 AT CRV for 9 years now. Have clocked around 1,30,000km so far with no issues. The engine is a gem and although the Auto gearbox can be a bit sluggish, it really is extremely reliable. Also take a nice look at the interior finishes, some of the upholstery/leather can get worn out after many years of usage.

I would advise you to take a comprehensive test drive of any used CRV. It isn't a butched-up SUV like the Fortuner, Outlander or even the Grand Vitara hence the ride quality can tend to detoriate after few years. Besides that, I think it is a great buy if fuel economy isn't a concern.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 21:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I have been looking at a few CRVs but unable to find any good vehicle. The interior especially is really worn out on most cars. I can look at seat covers, but door handles and it's coating etc is something which worries me. Any wrap based solution to them?

Also, does anyone here have any known vehicle available in their network. Mumbai based?
Old 4th August 2018, 10:03   #41
BHPian

Friends ,
I am considering pre owned 2016 2.4Ltr AT CRV .
Would be really grateful if someone can guide me on following :-
1. What should be my offer price to buy considering the vehicle has one 35k already.
2. What is the mileage in city driving condition ?
3. Is the maintenance of the car expensive. Tentative idea in its annual maintenance cost .
4 . Will it be difficult to sell it after 2 years ?
5. I have the option of take 2015 Santa Fe AT . Which of the two would be a better buy .

Thanks .
Old 4th August 2018, 11:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Friends ,
1. What should be my offer price to buy considering the vehicle has one 35k already.
3. Is the maintenance of the car expensive. Tentative idea in its annual maintenance cost .
5. I have the option of take 2015 Santa Fe AT . Which of the two would be a better buy .

Thanks .
Perhaps you can offer 16-18 lakhs. Maintainence cost will be high things like brakes and suspension linkages will cost a lot if you are planning to keep it only for 2 years, CRV will be easier to sell. That said, the Santa Fe is a better car.
Old 4th August 2018, 12:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Friends ,

Thanks .
I have a 2014 2.4Ltr AT CRV which has done 12k km only. Let me try to answer some of your questions.

1. I am obviously a bit biased but my CRV runs like the day it was purchased. Many of the people who sit in it for the first time assume it is only the first year of purchase. But, that said, while I have not paid much in terms of maintenance - every service is around 3-4k only - parts are expensive and take time to procure. So you should factor that in when coming up with a purchase price. Remember though, CRVs were the #1 soft roader globally for a long time. There is a reason for that which is that they rarely fail. YMMV though. 18-20L is probably what you should quote.
2. I get 7.5kmpl. It is a 2.4L AT engine on a heavy car. So you cannot do much about that economy.
3. Answered in 1. My warranty is expiring this year. I will be taking the 3 year extended warranty since that everybody's advice.
4. I hope not
5. Opinions vary. I test drove both cars before I bought the CRV, back in 2014. Guess which vehicle, I think is better then?

Also, I will be very curious to know why that CRV is being sold since it has only been 2 years since that person purchased it. That is a huge hit in depreciation the person will be taken

Last edited by hajaar : 4th August 2018 at 12:17.
hajaar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 09:43   #44
BHPian

Many thanks for your advise . Would look for some more options in Santa Fe . So far I am getting 2014 Santa Fe . Would be happy to lay my hands on 2015 model .

Regarding CRV , I love it but cost of ownership is making me jittery to say yes. .

Though will take a call by this month end.

Thanks once again .

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Perhaps you can offer 16-18 lakhs. Maintainence cost will be high things like brakes and suspension linkages will cost a lot if you are planning to keep it only for 2 years, CRV will be easier to sell. That said, the Santa Fe is a better car.
Thanks for the detailed reply .

Even I was was curious to know the train to sell this car so early .
However ,before I get into discussion I wanted to make up my mind 100% .
I have just moved to Gurgaon from Delhi and my work area is going to be in New Delhi area . That would entail more travelling now .
I have a 2010 cruze AT LTZ and I have had a great time with this beast . Mileage never pinched me .
With approx 2000-2500 monthly run , I am little jittery to go for CRV with such low mileage .
My cruze hasn't given me a single trouble in last 8 years of ownership and that gives me a confidence to go for SUV that have done 40k-50k on the Odo .

Let me test drive some Santa Fe and then probably I will take a call by month end .

Many thanks for your detailed reply .

What is the cost of unlimited warranty package that you took at the time of purchase and the one that you would buy now ?

Thanks .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
I have a 2014 2.4Ltr AT CRV which has done 12k km only. Let me try to answer some of your questions.

1. I am obviously a bit biased but my CRV runs like the day it was purchased. Many of the people who sit in it for the first time assume it is only the first year of purchase. But, that said, while I have not paid much in terms of maintenance - every service is around 3-4k only - parts are expensive and take time to procure. So you should factor that in when coming up with a purchase price. Remember though, CRVs were the #1 soft roader globally for a long time. There is a reason for that which is that they rarely fail. YMMV though. 18-20L is probably what you should quote.
2. I get 7.5kmpl. It is a 2.4L AT engine on a heavy car. So you cannot do much about that economy.
3. Answered in 1. My warranty is expiring this year. I will be taking the 3 year extended warranty since that everybody's advice.
4. I hope not
5. Opinions vary. I test drove both cars before I bought the CRV, back in 2014. Guess which vehicle, I think is better then?

Also, I will be very curious to know why that CRV is being sold since it has only been 2 years since that person purchased it. That is a huge hit in depreciation the person will be taken

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th August 2018 at 15:28. Reason: Back to back post please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 5th August 2018, 11:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at nearly new 2 year old CRVs, then why not consider buying a brand new one? The all new next generation model is due for launch soon so you ought to be able to rack up a huge discount on the current one
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks