Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2021, 07:00   #61

Re: Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?

Low run recent release Honda CRV's are very far and few in between to come by in the used market. From my experience of shopping for a Honda CRV I feel that most Honda buyers invest in them new, for the long term use. Very rarely such owners intend to sell because this car is as Honda calls it a really "Comfortable Runaround Vehicle".

I recently bought a used 2.0litre manual transmission 2008 3rd generation CRV in an excellent condition, which had run 70,000km, and it is still a very peppy compared to all the other new releases I have been driving it around with.
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:03   #62
BHPian

Just bought a single owner 2008 AWD CRV, for the princely sum of 6.8L in Bangalore. Its Odo is hovering around 52k

The car is in excellent condition, recent service records were available, and no signs of accidents (or even fender benders). The interior looks barely broken in and every button and knob works just as it should

Taking delivery of the car next Wednesday, and I absolutely can't wait to post a review here
Nitronium is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:28   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Just bought a single owner 2008 AWD CRV, for the princely sum of 6.8L in Bangalore. Its Odo is hovering around 52k
₹ 6.8lakhs for a pre-facelift second-gen CR-V? Frankly, the price is a little too high for a 13-year old Honda. In Kerala, well-maintained examples goes for below ₹ 4lakhs. For ₹ 7-7.5lakhs, it is even possible to get a third-gen one here in South.
Shreyfiesta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
₹ 6.8lakhs for a pre-facelift second-gen CR-V? Frankly, the price is a little too high for a 13-year old Honda. In Kerala, well-maintained examples goes for below ₹ 4lakhs. For ₹ 7-7.5lakhs, it is even possible to get a third-gen one here in South.
No, absolutely. You're right that this is above market for a car of this age

There are a few reasons I was okay to fork out a premium

1) I have been scouring classifieds for a relatively low mileage CR-V, and most examples start at 80k+ kms all the way upto 130k kms and the asking price generally ranges from 4L to 5.8L. All the examples I saw in person and in photos had worn leather, faded plastics and generally sub-par ownership and maintenance history. The car I have purchased turned up late last night on OLX, and I was quick to go see it in person today, further thoughts below

2) The car is in EXCELLENT shape. The owner Whatsapped meticulous service records at ASCs and Bosch (for the last service), with a recent INR 50k service of control arm bushes, brake pads, +all fluids. The interiors were great, with no fade on the plastics and the leather as good as new. Low mileage examples like this in the CR-V landscape are few and far apart, the logical part of my head was temporarily broken

3) Karnataka registered cars hold an unfortunate premium, compared to literally any other state. While I could have looked for an out of state vehicle, anyone that drives in Bangalore has enough stories of being pulled over for no good reason. I for one value peace of mind while driving and definitely didn't want to continue getting harrassed by goons in uniform

4) It was a gut feel thing towards the end of the transaction, coupled with my absolute terrible bargaining skills. I intend on keeping this car for years well into 6 digit kms, and the premium of a clean car that will prove to hopefully be reliable for that time, to me, was worth 6.8L. Could I have shaved a lakh off? Maybe. Would I have lost this KA registered example if I did? More likely.

5) It's my first real car purchase, I've been driving my wife's MH registered i10 for a few years now. I'll detail more in the ownership review, but I can confidently say it's a great day for me

Here, have some photos!

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-whatsapp-image-20210722-6.21.27-pm.jpeg

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-whatsapp-image-20210722-6.20.38-pm.jpeg

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-whatsapp-image-20210722-6.20.06-pm.jpeg
Nitronium is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:06   #65

Here is some useful information regarding Honda's, which one might find useful in a pinch, when wondering what to look for (got them off the notice board at Whitefield Honda in Bengaluru)
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210722_113608.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210722_113612.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210722_113625.jpg  

Last edited by Ashok.Vardhan : 23rd July 2021 at 18:29. Reason: Spellings & Grammar
Ashok.Vardhan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 17:49   #66

Wiper Blades for 3rd Generation Honda CRVs (2007-2011)

Wiper Blades for 3rd Generation Honda CRVs (2007-2011)

Since it is monsoon time, pay attention to your wipers to see if any of the blades have slightly peeled off rubber. With extensive use during downpours it can touch the windshields and leave scratches, that will result in an expensive windshield replacement service (if you are picky about how clear the windshield should be).

Here is some general information regarding the CRV (3rd Generation) windshield wipers:

Front: 26" (Driver Side) 17" (Front Passenger Side)
Back: 12" (can also install 14" if you are unable to find 12" ones, however, it will be really pushing it)

Typical manufacturer options available out there are Bosch & Valeo. Conventional wiper blade style options will cost much cheaper, the "beam" (as Bosch calls them) options will cost slightly higher, however, they will look much more classier.

In regards to performance (wind-screen contact, longevity, wiping efficiency, etc.) is there any clear difference between the "Conventional" & "Beam" styles? In my opinion, none. Both seem to have the same surface contact efficiency, and last roughly the same duration.

Bosch has whole range of option for various driving and weather conditions (Rainy, Snowy, etc.), however, be prepared to pay an extra premium if you want to use their Icon, Focus, Evolution, Snow Driver range. The budget all-weather range is: Clear Advantage (which are easily available in India).

Be conscious to order the socket kind that will fit into the wiper arm, which is user install-able.

Here is a quick guide on how to remove/install:

Here are a few options:

1. Valeo 26" - ₹551.00 - Sku: 575819 Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-wiper_blade_26-6801437/

2. Valeo 17" - ₹247.00 - Sku: 575812 Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-wiper_blade_17-6801423/

3. Bosch (Clear Advantage) 26" - ₹519.00 - Sku: 3397016584 Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-bosc...6584-55889252/

4. Bosch (Clear Advantage) 17" - ₹279.00 - Sku: 3397016577 Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-bosc...6577-55698946/

5. Valeo 14" - ₹221.00 - Sku: 575810 Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-wiper_blade_14-6801418/

Since these wiper lengths are not that easily available at local spares stores, I ordered both these blade sets from Bosch as well as Valeo through BoodMo, which had offered free shipping (they ship from Bengaluru for both Valeo & Bosch. I am currently based in Bengaluru on some work, so they got delivered within a business day). I installed the Valeo ones and intend to keep the Bosch as a backup for the season in the car.

Honda dealers will quote ridiculous rates (for just the rubber replacements on the blades) when there are so many reliable & reputable after-market brands making them in all variations.

Hope you find this information useful for this monsoon season, as well as for the ones ahead.

Happy driving!

Last edited by Ashok.Vardhan : 28th July 2021 at 18:12. Reason: Spelling & Extra Information.
Old 28th August 2021, 19:57   #67
BHPian

I've got a quote for 2013 manufactured Honda CR-V at 11 lakhs (negotiating for 9.5L) with 91k KM on odo, second owner and immaculately maintained (serviced only at authorised service center)- as per the current second owner. Location is Bengaluru.(famous for excess road tax)

I've few questions here,

1. Is it sane to go ahead and own a D-segment SUV as a third owner ?

I'm well informed from our esteemed moderators posts to not go near 90k odo cars - but considering it's a Honda and CR-V being very less in market (thanks to single digit mileage and expensive parts) it seems very exciting.

2. What are immediate service costs that awaits me - Honda website gives me info that 90k KM service would cost a meagre 5k INR. I don't think so - there should be mandatory replacements I believe. (I did a timing chain replacement for my 2009 Ritz at 90k which costed 10k INR - pardon me if that's applicable only for Diesel, I'm a noob as far automobile mechanisms are concerned)

3. In the short test drive I did with in the gated community of the gentleman who currently owns the car I clearly felt undulations of tarmac in the cabin. Is that native of CR-V or its indication the mechanicals have aged.

P.S: I'm considering a pre-worshipped 2018 Renault Diesel 110 PS RXZ variant with 28k on odo but aforementioned Honda CR-V plush interiors n royal ride is enticing.

Kindly request member on this thread to advice.
Old 28th August 2021, 23:29   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post

1. Is it sane to go ahead and own a D-segment SUV as a third owner ?

No.
Too many owners, too many aspects of ownership which you won't know about. The duster will keep you saner. It may be a d segment for peanuts, but parts when any cover up bodges come apart will be of a D segment.

Last edited by mayankk : 28th August 2021 at 23:31.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:00   #69
BHPian

Thanks Mayankk. Will be keep the excitement down and wait for low run CR-V from 2015 and above or else will settle with Duster.

Parts are pricey on D segment, agreed. But how about regular service. Is Honda website right when it says 90k service is just 5K INR for Honda CRV.

Just want to understand if it's true at all.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:51   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mayankk. Will be keep the excitement down and wait for low run CR-V from 2015 and above or else will settle with Duster.

Parts are pricey on D segment, agreed. But how about regular service. Is Honda website right when it says 90k service is just 5K INR for Honda CRV.

Just want to understand if it's true at all.
I think that 5k is for bare minimum, only oil and filters changed. The problem with so many owners would be keeping track of what went wrong, what was fixed, and what was bodged. I agree that the premium feel of a CRV is great, but you can get a better feel from newer cars under 5 years old.
A compass, or a seltos, or budget permitting even another CRV.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 08:22   #71
BHPian

Hi fellow CR-V owners!
Has anybody installed the Hella pencil beams on to thet CR-V's? I've been wondering to put it on my CR-V but not quite sure of its efficacy. Don't want to go for a cheaper option but considering Hellas costs considerably higher, would like to the feedback if anybody's using it.
I own a 2015 model and the bumper has clear slots given for additional lights like these.
Old 6th September 2021, 18:30   #72

Parts numbers/prices appear starkly different, but part is same across the trims of the same gen?

If anyone is looking to change the front struts of their 3rd generation Honda CRV, this experience of mine might help you do that at a remarkably low cost, compared to what the "suggested" part for your trim might be costing.

Backstory:

I was looking to change the front struts and came across some really baffling options and costs for starkly varied prices (check reply #44 onward at this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...counter-3.html (How I got Honda to sell me spare parts over-the-counter))

Thinking like a design engineer of a business, I know it makes no sense to completely redesign every individual parts for the same model over the various production years, unless there has been any major change to the core structure/design. It just simply does not make any business sense for production/inventory/distribution etc. As it turns out, the 3rd generation Honda CRV shares a lot of parts between the various trims for all the models ranging from production years 2007-2011.

So searching with this criteria in mind it becomes very apparent that my initial statement will hold some truth. So I went out to test my hunch and it came true. Since the body is same for almost all the trims (mostly only engine/transmission differs), most body parts, and the associated spares are same, though it will NOT appear so when you search based on CHASSIS/VIN number, both on Oriparts or at the Honda spares inventory/database at any ASC. For whatever reason, the Honda engineers kept most common parts the same but renamed the individual part number with subsequent iterations of production/trims.

My trim/production year/chassis type:

Region: INDIA
Production year: 2008
Engine type: R20A1 - 2.0L SOHC I-VTEC (PETROL)
Chassis type: SWDV2UA1

If I search on Boodmo with this criteria for front shock absorber assembly (both left and right) these are the two "suggested" parts that both Oripart and ASC database will show:

51602SWAJ31(Front-Left) ₹25,067.00
Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-shoc...061.1628995042

51601SWAJ31(Front-Right) ₹25,114.00
Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-5160...061.1628995042

Doubts started to creep into my mind when I saw the prices for the same part (within this same generation) being priced considerably cheaper for a later year production for a different trim. My engineer mind just could not agree to this because, why would I want to redesign a shock absorber, unless the platform was not changed? So I went into the catalogue and checked the individual parts that make up the strut assembly (like Mounts, Springs, Strut, etc.) and compared them to the parts across the various trims in the production year range of the 3rd generation: 2007-2011, and voila! They were the same! If the mount is the same, then logic will say the strut fitting into it will be the same. So I went out to test that too. Luckily, the struts for the various trims/production years has photos, so I carefully examined them to check if there were any change in the design (placements of brake calliper mounts, length of the strut, etc.) Careful analysis of the photos made me conclude that each of them were identical.

As I had noticed, and mentioned in my earlier thread, a stark and steep difference in price from the struts of the various trims/production years I searched the entire catalogue for 3rd generation and found these two as the cheapest ones:

51602SWAJ41 (Front-Left) ₹7,749.00
Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-shock_absorber-7429430

51601SWAJ41 (Front-Right) ₹7,751.00
Boodmo URL: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-51601swaj41-12395288/

Which were the parts of this trim/production year/chassis type:

Production year: 2010 - 2010
Engine type: K24Z1 - 2.4L DOHC I-VTEC (PETROL)
Chassis type: SWAW2UB7

I was dumbfounded by this remarkable difference in price. Surely, there was nothing that engineeringly different in the earlier version that commanded such a steep price? Furthermore, I know for a fact that Honda, typically only improves the quality of their iterations, not degrades. So why this steep price? Chances are these are the likely reasons:

- Early on during the sale of CRV's in India, they were CBU's (Completely Built Units) so the entire vehicle was imported from Japan, and likewise all the spares were too. So the price might have been high, initially?
- With more demand (CRV is Honda's most successful car in the US and in other parts of the world), production to economies of scale would have reduced part costs, which is highly likely?
- Honda might have manufactured the part in India itself from the later iterations of the same generation?

Whatever the actual reason, I was not that keen to pay ₹25,067.00 for something that was also being sold at ₹7,749.00 so I took the plunge and bought both struts of the later trim. Boodmo anyway has a return option (check their conditions for a successful return).

The parts arrived and after careful examination at the FNG of the removed strut from my CRV it turns out they are the same!!!!! Furthermore, these parts were Manufactured in Japan! (Sorry I did not posts photos of the boxes with this information, I can do so if someone wants me to.)

So got them installed, and they have made an incredible change to the ride quality at less than a 3rd of the price of the "recommended" one for my trim.

For those who find it hard to believe, check all the parts numbers in the attached photos. Hope this helps someone else that has the same trim that I have.

Bear in mind, this will only apply to common parts shared between the trims and production years of the same generation, it will not apply to: Engine, Transmission, and other such obvious categories, which makes the trims different.

All the best in saving your money.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_103117.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_103158.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_110314.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_111756.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_112349.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_112357.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210816_080729.jpg  

Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-20210906_164006.jpg  

Last edited by Ashok.Vardhan : 6th September 2021 at 18:59. Reason: Added more information.
Ashok.Vardhan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 06:25   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
No, absolutely. You're right that this is above market for a car of this age

There are a few reasons I was okay to fork out a premium
That's one clean car mate. I'm taking delivery of 2.4 AT AWD today.

How is your CRV holding up?

Quote:
I've got a quote for 2013 manufactured Honda CR-V at 11 lakhs (negotiating for 9.5L) with 91k KM on odo, second owner and immaculately maintained (serviced only at authorised service center)- as per the current second owner. Location is Bengaluru.(famous for excess road tax)
I've few questions here,
What did you finally go with mate? Another CRV?

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd September 2021 at 07:11. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
Old 25th September 2021, 00:32   #74
BHPian

Nope. Let go for 90k run CRV. Just holding my breath to get a low run 2016 CRV.

Congratulations - how about yours ? Which Manufacturing Year, Odo and how much it costed your city ?
Old 27th September 2021, 21:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parts numbers/prices appear starkly different, but part is same across the trims of the same gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok.Vardhan View Post
Which were the parts of this trim/production year/chassis type:

Production year: 2010 - 2010
Engine type: K24Z1 - 2.4L DOHC I-VTEC (PETROL)
Chassis type: SWAW2UB7
Could it be that the damping properties of the shocks are different for the larger; heavier 2.4 liter motor and since 2.0 engine option was sold less, the cost of keeping inventory of shocks for the 2.0 model plays a part in those ludicrous prices? Just wondering.

Even though I don't own a CR-V, I must thank you for such important advise. This is what makes being a part of this forum feel special

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks