Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2015, 10:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, I wouldn't advice buying an 8 year old car. That's simply too much. As reliable as the model might be, things (especially rubber, electrical wiring etc.) wear out with time. You'll always have some niggle or the other.
Very sad to hear this

Coming from the man himself, I cannot but agree. This is the bitter truth

I've always bought models that were 10 years old or more! They seemed to be of incredible value. For example, today, 2 lakhs will get you a 5 year old Alto or a 10 year old Honda City. I always get tempted to go for something like the City, but its nowhere as reliable or easy to own as an Alto.

This simply means that I will have to sacrifice either by putting up with a smaller car or by put in more money if I was to continue buying used, both options seem unfeasible, but then that's what the truth is

Sorry for going OT, just that it shook my foundations

The CR-V sold in huge numbers in the international market and so sourcing spares should not be a problem, for the FNG that is and not the Dealer, assuming you are OK going to a FNG

The model you are looking at was the best CR-V design that Honda ever made, according to me

The Outlander would have been a better choice if we were in Australia, but in India, the CR-V makes the most sense.
Old 20th September 2015, 22:03   #17
BHPian

Look at a Grand Vitara as a viable option.

I had also looked at similar 2005-2007 vintage CRVs and 2007 vintage Outlanders before coming across the Grand Vitara I now have.
I have a 2007 AT, purchased in May with 71500 kms + on the clock. I am the 4th. owner in fact. Am sorting out all the niggles and the costs are higher than a standard Maruti. But I am finding a lot of parts costs comparable with the costs of similar parts of the SX4. Also the costs of repairs/replacements are much lower than what I would have incurred with a CRV or Outlander.

And needless to say I am really pushing the vehicle. as it is meant to be used.
Today I did a 180 kms trip over 6 hours. Mostly potholed roads, including a kutcha trail of over 5-7 kms. At the end of it all not an ache in my 58yrs old bones. Give below is a photo of the better part of the trail:
Advice on a pre-owned Honda CR-V?-tamhini-lavasa-trail.jpg

And here is a travelogue of our group's first off roading:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...shet-lake.html
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 22:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would say you can buy CRV without a worry in the world. For every one Vitara and Outlander, there are at least 100 CRVs out there. So you have more choice while buying used and you are 10 times likely to find a buyer when it is time for you to sell. There are thousands of happy users in US of 10-year old CRVs and Accords which have clocked 3/4 hundred thousand miles with just routine maintenance. Accord, CRV, Civic are real Hondas. Not Citys, Amazes, Brios etc. And there is a world of difference between quality of the former three compared to the latter three which are budget-end cars. In fact a few years back, in the Autocar Best Driver's car shoot-out, CRV beat many sedans in ride and handling.

But yes, Outlander is equally competent. But then again pretty soon we will have more Porsche dealers in India than Mitsubishi dealers. And no matter how good an independent garage is, for some crucial issues, you WILL have to go to A.S.S. which in case of Mitsubishi is hard to find. Then again, three features which Outlander has over CRV are very appealing. They are, push-button start, paddle-shifts and HID in projector headlights (as opposed to boring halogen in projectors, in case of CRV).
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 22:45   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say it is a great vehicle to consider but no older than 6 yrs.

Also with about 7-10 L budget there would be many other lux options in AT. SUV and Sedan. Including newer than 2010/11 Laura, Superb, Jetta, accord which would be newer. The CRV is anyways a pseudo SUV which you won't really take off road.

That said CRV is a good option only try a younger model or lower price.
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:58   #20
BHPian

There are actually very few Automatic CR-V which are 5-6 years old only. Newer cars are the Manual Transmission ones. Anyway i am doing this without a hurry. One thing i found is not to trust the photographs on OLX or the CarWale / CarTrade websites . They look so neat and clean in pictures but are real stinky when seen in person. One of them had loose bumpers and if pressed hard would surely come off. I am sure it had a clocked mileage but its one of the best looking CR-V on net as per the photographs.

Having a Clean interior as in scratch less on inside and with no seats torn or damaged is a big plus in my opinion.

Since the cars are older and the ones i like seem to be serviced outside of Honda now, it will be important to get these thoroughly checked either at Honda Service or my Friendly Garage. I wanted your opinion on Mahindra Inspect Certification. Any ideas how honest they are in the certifications they give to vehicles. Would it be reasonably safer to go with such inspected car than others?

Last edited by manishkapadia : 23rd September 2015 at 22:00.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:39   #21
BANNED

Hi

I am getting a 2008 CRV AT at approx 7L (slightly negotiable) , 85K done with sunroof etc.
and its got me interested as after all its a CRV
However while doing the TD , the AT did not feel that great ...it had a lag and the gear change also was 'felt' ....is it normally the case or was it specific to that car

thx
Old 4th October 2015, 22:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1017 View Post
Hi

I am getting a 2008 CRV AT at approx 7L (slightly negotiable) , 85K done with sunroof etc.
and its got me interested as after all its a CRV
However while doing the TD , the AT did not feel that great ...it had a lag and the gear change also was 'felt' ....is it normally the case or was it specific to that car

thx
Something wrong here. CRV AT, with 5-speed torque converter, has absolutely no lag. None that I found. But then I drove 2.4 L's. Not sure which one you saw, 2.4 or 2.0 L? Avoid 2.0 L. It is underpowered. Look for a 2.4L AT. You will be pretty happy.
Old 4th October 2015, 23:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt feel right. Check any other CR-V if possible for comparison
Old 9th October 2015, 01:19   #24
BANNED

Hi

I am letting that one go as it had some suspension noise as well, it was a Gurgaon number and we all know the absence of roads in Gurgaon !
I will TD some more. I was reading some reviews and they were also saying that CRV AT is not so good - can some owners share their experience.

As an aside, I have been reading about ATs and the why do TCs generally get a tagged as slow/sluggish/jerky/inefficient etc ?
DCT/DSGs came only a few years back and the west has been riding on probably TCs for decades, so how does it work out.

Thx
Old 9th October 2015, 22:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

As an aside, I have been reading about ATs and the why do TCs generally get a tagged as slow/sluggish/jerky/inefficient etc ?
DCT/DSGs came only a few years back and the west has been riding on probably TCs for decades, so how does it work out.
TCs are not jerky at all. They are super smooth from take off. In fact it is DSG which is jerky at crawl speeds. DSG/DCTs came recently and are not yet perfected. The DSG/DCT horror stories abound everywhere. Audi even ditched DSG and switched back to TC in some performance model. As for Americans, they use cars with higher cc but TC, so any laziness (which is actually much exaggerated than it really is) of gearbox is taken care of. Don't believe it? Just pose as a used car buyer and go test drive a V6 Accord which comes with TC. Come back and write what you find. Now I hope you do not drive a abused lemon.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 23:39   #26
BHPian

Hi Everyone! I just joined Team-BHP.

I am looking for a Used Honda CR-V (2010 or later) and I have leads on 2 CRVs

1. 2010 CRV 2.4 will 39,000 kms with a quoted price of Rs. 10.85L (which has been posted earlier on this thread)
2. 2013 CRV 2.4 with 43,000 kms with a quoted price of Rs. 18.8L

I am more interested in the 2013 Model but I feel it's priced too high. So, I wanted some inputs from you members regarding how much money should the car be ideally worth and whether it's advisable to pick the heavily run 2013 CRV over the 2010 one.

Also, my vehicle usage is not that high and will approximately amount to 4000-5000 kms a year.

Thank You
nimit3105 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:20   #27
BHPian

The 2010 CRV should be around 9 lakhs at the max. 10.85 is a high quoting price.

The 2013 specimen is not the new CRV, right? I guess the new one came in 2014?
Old 26th November 2015, 17:23   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hi Everyone! I just joined Team-BHP.

I am looking for a Used Honda CR-V (2010 or later) and I have leads on 2 CRVs

1. 2010 CRV 2.4 will 39,000 kms with a quoted price of Rs. 10.85L (which has been posted earlier on this thread)
2. 2013 CRV 2.4 with 43,000 kms with a quoted price of Rs. 18.8L

I am more interested in the 2013 Model but I feel it's priced too high. So, I wanted some inputs from you members regarding how much money should the car be ideally worth and whether it's advisable to pick the heavily run 2013 CRV over the 2010 one.

Also, my vehicle usage is not that high and will approximately amount to 4000-5000 kms a year.

Thank You
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
The 2010 CRV should be around 9 lakhs at the max. 10.85 is a high quoting price.

The 2013 specimen is not the new CRV, right? I guess the new one came in 2014?
2013 would be the new one. 2013 year did have the new CRV.
2010 as suggested earlier by yogesh should be a max of 9L. But even 8 may be possible.

2010 becomes a psychological barrier. Year 2010 plus 5 years old. so you would find 2009 one for 7L odd in the same shape. Don't think about the 1 year difference too much. Also in Jan even the 2010 ones should drop expectations as the year 2016 would have started.

2013 one should be at about 14-15L negotiate for that and go for it if you have the budget. There are significant improvements.

Wait till Jan to purchase.
Old 26th November 2015, 18:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
2013 would be the new one. 2013 year did have the new CRV.
2010 as suggested earlier by yogesh should be a max of 9L. But even 8 may be possible.

2010 becomes a psychological barrier. Year 2010 plus 5 years old. so you would find 2009 one for 7L odd in the same shape. Don't think about the 1 year difference too much. Also in Jan even the 2010 ones should drop expectations as the year 2016 would have started.

2013 one should be at about 14-15L negotiate for that and go for it if you have the budget. There are significant improvements.

Wait till Jan to purchase.
Yes, I know the 2013 one is the new model. Thanks for your reply. I am in no hurry and as you said, I can wait till Jan for the purchase. Also today, I've come across a 2014 top end Model with only 2000 kms on clock. The owner is relocating but the asking price is 24L
What should be the ideal price for such a model?
Regarding the budget, I might be able to go till 16-17L
Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 23:55   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Yes, I know the 2013 one is the new model. Thanks for your reply. I am in no hurry and as you said, I can wait till Jan for the purchase. Also today, I've come across a 2014 top end Model with only 2000 kms on clock. The owner is relocating but the asking price is 24L
What should be the ideal price for such a model?
Regarding the budget, I might be able to go till 16-17L
Thanks
Simply offer your best and let it be. If the owner is desperate he will sell at 16. I don't see him getting a buyer at even 20 let alone 24.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks