Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 12:06   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?

Need somewhat urgent advice - We intend to buy a XUV500 this week.
The usage will not involve offroading

However, I & wifey are used to the handling of non tall cars (X1/corsa/i10) and I wanted to know

I understand that it would be futile to expect the same kind of handling from an XUV but wanted to know if buying the AWD would give us any really world advantage in handling at high speeds manoeuvring
My concern with Mahindra vehicles has been the perceived tendency to roll over but have decided to bite the bullet nonetheless - I was wondering if the AWD variant would offer me any advantages on this front
Old 31st October 2015, 12:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?

I have driven the XUV FWD for more than 3 years and recently got the New age AWD aswell, I have to say AWD does make a difference! You get a lot more traction, The scary torque steer in the FWD isn't there, And due to the extra traction i have found the car being extra planted on the road, Even the FE haven't taken a hit.

If budget is not an issue, I would seriously advice go for the AWD version.

EDIT: I have never felt in my previous XUV and even in the new one that the car is about to roll over, Though i have driven it hard several times, Have to say XUV cannot be compared to the other car's offered from the same manufacturer. (Xylo, Old Gen Scorpio)

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 31st October 2015 at 12:16.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
The usage will not involve offroading
This is enough to tell you that you don't need the AWD model.

From what I've heard, one major advantage of the AWD model is that it doesn't have torque steer. Else, for your purpose, the AWD is simply not useful and you're looking at carrying extra weight and there'll be extra maintenance. (Don't worry about maintenance as it'll be more number of diff oil chages)

If you're scared of the torque steer, test drive the FWD. Find a free road and slam the pedal in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. If you can handle the torque steer(which you should be able to), just buy it and save cash.
landcruiser123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 23:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
This is enough to tell you that you don't need the AWD model.

From what I've heard, one major advantage of the AWD model is that it doesn't have torque steer. Else, for your purpose, the AWD is simply not useful and you're looking at carrying extra weight and there'll be extra maintenance. (Don't worry about maintenance as it'll be more number of diff oil chages)

If you're scared of the torque steer, test drive the FWD. Find a free road and slam the pedal in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. If you can handle the torque steer(which you should be able to), just buy it and save cash.
XUV isn't a proper offroader anyways, Just the Mud and slush would be fine and it also comes with touring tyres, AWD helps a lot while accelerating the car from the standstill to triple digit speeds, I have floored the pedal several times in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear but i never saw the ESP light blink or any loss of traction from the tyres, Had done the same on the FWD version aswell only to experience lot of torque steer, traction loss and tyres squealing. Don't want to get into the details but i really feel the advantages of AWD version over the FWD is worth the extra money spent on the AWD version.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 00:42   #5
BHPian

To be honest, I get my floor to pedal thrills on my other car which I don't think I will attempt on the XUV500.

The reason I am getting the xuv is to get a no-nonsense, low maintenance 7 seater which i can take down the ghats and bad roads once in a while with my dogs and 2 in the human family+ use it as a basic daily commute.

I have always been wary/scared of Mahindra vehicles , no thanks to the topple over stories I have heard from friends... The only reason behind selecting the xuv500 is that there are no other vehicles south of 20L that fit this requirement.

As a believer in instant gratification once the call has been taken, I would be happy to take delivery of the W10 FWD next week.

Having said that, if the AWD offers a genuine advantage for my use-case, am fine with waiting an additional 3 weeks for the delivery

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2015 at 13:44. Reason: Typos
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st November 2015, 04:28   #6
BHPian

FYI the XUV has rollover mitigation, which prevents the vehicle from rolling over in certain conditions with the help of ESP. AWD has gotten me out of tough road conditions which would have been possible with FWD also, but AWD makes it a bit easier.

Any vehicle can topple over if certain conditions are met, and its mostly due to the error of the driver. Always drive safe and anticipate your driving pattern based on the road conditions. There are very few XUVs that have toppled over and they were due to drivers speeding and hitting a divider.

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2015 at 13:45. Reason: Quoted post deleted
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 08:44   #7
J.Ravi

Here are my views on XUV 500 FWD v AWD:

I faced two anxious moments during my recent Uttarakhand trip.

1. While driving towards Badrinath, just before Vishnuprayag hydro-electric project near Hanuman Chatti, there was a steep, narrow, gravelly stretch with boulders washed from upstream, where many sedans and hatchbacks were found stranded as they could not climb due to their low ground clearance. Many Innovas could easily climb because of their rear-wheel drive. When my turn came, I drove in the first gear, but my XUV 500 could not pass in the first attempt. So, I came down, again revved the engine, gathered the required momentum, drove faster, without depressing the clutch pedal, not bothering the boulders and XUV 500 passed in the second attempt with some fellow-drivers pushing from behind! There was no problem while climbing down that stretch in the return trip.

2. The paved approach road from Hotel Padmini Nivas, Mussoorie - where we had stayed - to the Mall Road, was very steep. After we checked out of the hotel, I started crawling the steep stretch in the first gear, but XUV 500 got tired mid-way. So, I backed down, gathered enough momentum, drove faster in the first gear and XUV 500 passed in the second attempt without any external help.

So, what did I learn from these two episodes? One, although it has abundant power and torque, XUV 500 is FWD and weighs around 2 tonnes, which compromise while tackling the ghats and steep stretches. Two, in such cases, I have to plan my strategy in advance, either to go with adequate momentum in the first gear or drive in the reverse. In such cases, AWD will be more effective, I feel.

So, one can opt for AWD, if driving on the ghats is more and frequent. If not, FWD would be more than adequate.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st November 2015 at 08:47.
  (27) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 13:33   #8
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?

thanks fellas!
Booked the W10 AWD
only issue is the fact that the FWD was available in stock while this one will take a month
But a month's wait is probably worthwhile for something that will stay 4-5 years
abhi182 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 13:57   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The XUV500 is an awesome handler by SUV standards. It's a monocoque, hence doesn't have the unwieldy behaviour of body-on-frame SUVs. Mahindra deserves credit for tuning the suspension so well.

For all practical purposes, the FWD variant will do just well.

That said, I'm from the school of thought that an SUV has to have AWD / 4x4. An AWD opens up more touring possibilities for you, and you can also easily manage to drive through inexistent roads, muck & slush or even the beach. Since you've already decided on the AWD, all I say is good choice . At only 80 - 100k rupees more, it's a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
if buying the AWD would give us any really world advantage in handling at high speeds manoeuvring
No, on regular roads, there won't be any difference in handling (except for the torque steer as mentioned by Tanveer). You'd have to drive like you would on a race track to exploit any handling advantage on public roads (not recommended).

Quote:
My concern with Mahindra vehicles has been the perceived tendency to roll over
That affects nearly all tall body-on-frame SUVs, including more expensive ones like the Fortuner & Prado. The XUV500 has a monocoque construction.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 20:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I own a AWD version since 3 years(almost), have a few 2wd XUV's with friends and family, so I guess I am qualified to answer the query.

On road, except the torque steer there is not much difference in handling, except when it works with ESP for stability control. If you plan to Remap your car or travel a lot of gravel surfaces, the AWD grip when accelerating from standstill the extra grip from AWD is going to help a lot.

I agree with GTO's point in the above post, for me too No 4x4/AWD = No SUV. The extra ability in the rough is much appreciated and much more enjoyable for the enthusiast.

For example have a look at the picture below, I have been to this place many times earlier in my XUV AWD and Rexton 4x4, both the SUV's climb this incline easily, even if you stop midway. But this Trailblazer, just because it was a 2wd could not climb. I guess it would be even more difficult for front wheel drive XUV.
Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?-tb.jpg

Over the years, my XUV AWD has proved to be a capable tourer, with punchy mHawk, comfortable seating for four(and their luggage), go anywhere ability hence the ability to go to remotest of the stretches. Despite being monocoque this crossover has taken abuse pretty well, on some of the no roads gravel stretches like the road to Spiti Valley, a few ladder on frame SUV's can keep up with the XUV due to the flatter ride and much superior handling. And yes I do miss Low Range gearing reduction at places, but never had to turn back even once.

For details go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3194098
.anshuman is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
That said, I'm from the school of thought that an SUV has to have AWD / 4x4. An AWD opens up more touring possibilities for you, and you can also easily manage to drive through inexistent roads, muck & slush or even the beach. Since you've already decided on the AWD, all I say is good choice . At only 80 - 100k rupees more, it's a no-brainer.
I think this bit was the key - 100K seems to be a very sensible premium for what (at least on paper) appears to be a good AWD system from Borg-Warner

On road, except the torque steer there is not much difference in handling, except when it works with ESP for stability control. If you plan to Remap your car or travel a lot of gravel surfaces, the AWD grip when accelerating from standstill the extra grip from AWD is going to help a lot.

Quote:
I agree with GTO's point in the above post, for me too No 4x4/AWD = No SUV. The extra ability in the rough is much appreciated and much more enjoyable for the enthusiast.
Looks like I will have to re-do a trip to Spiti next winter to justify the purchase
A trip earlier this year (Jan-Feb) had t be cut short in Kinnaur because the rented ecosport I had was faring very badly on the slush/snow

Having said that, there have been at least a couple of occasions on a highway during monsoons when I have seen the ESP kick-in on my existing rear wheel drive car
Hopefully the AWD will bring in some safety benefits in such situations
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:23   #12
BHPian

Though the OP got the car and this thread is closed, I will share my experience between AWD and FWD.
In my Opinion there shouldn't be a FWD SUV option. The handling and cornering is totally off. Its so bad that its scary to drive and SUV with is FWD.

I currently drive a Kia Sportage AWD as company car (9 months). Prior to this I had a KIA Sportage FWD for a short time (1 month) which i rejected. Because before the FWD I had Hyundai Tucson AWD (1 year).
When they gave the new FWD car I had to immediately adapt my driving habits.
On the AWD I drive it as if I am driving a coupe, high speed, cornering, fast lane changing etc... But with the FWD i need to process the information before I decide to do anything.
In India where the road conditions are poor and sudden change or direction and acceleration is required for overtaking, the advantage of AWD can be really felt.

Enjoy your new ride..
Old 1st November 2015, 22:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
Though the OP got the car and this thread is closed, I will share my experience between AWD and FWD.
In my Opinion there shouldn't be a FWD SUV option. The handling and cornering is totally off. Its so bad that its scary to drive and SUV with is FWD.

I currently drive a Kia Sportage AWD as company car (9 months). Prior to this I had a KIA Sportage FWD for a short time (1 month) which i rejected. Because before the FWD I had Hyundai Tucson AWD (1 year).
When they gave the new FWD car I had to immediately adapt my driving habits.
On the AWD I drive it as if I am driving a coupe, high speed, cornering, fast lane changing etc... But with the FWD i need to process the information before I decide to do anything.
In India where the road conditions are poor and sudden change or direction and acceleration is required for overtaking, the advantage of AWD can be really felt.

Enjoy your new ride..
Neither of the cars you have mentioned, or the XUV-500 being discussed here come with the full time torsion type AWD system, that would give stability benefits for high speed usage. The clutch based(or older viscous type) Torque on demand systems are disengaged most of the time and even if they get engaged(or are set to manually through the AWD switch) they disengage after a set speed, so they do not really give you benefits you'd expect similar to high performance AWD cars. But yes, when they lock, they can give a 50:50 power split required off the road.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 23:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Torque on demand systems are disengaged most of the time and even if they get engaged(or are set to manually through the AWD switch) they disengage after a set speed, so they do not really give you benefits you'd expect similar to high performance AWD cars. But yes, when they lock, they can give a 50:50 power split required off the road.
I am not sure of the speed at which the XUVs AWD lock gets disengaged. I have taken it upto the speed of 60-70 without the AWD lock getting disabled. I did not want to take it up higher than that.
Old 2nd November 2015, 00:05   #15
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2015 at 09:42.
general_neo is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks