Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 - FWD or AWD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Nope. The XUV AWD will also drive in FWD mode for most of the time.

Only when the system feels that the rear wheels need to be powered due to loss of traction/ hard acceleration, the centre diff is locked and there's a 50:50 split of Torque.

Some cars have a lock with 60:40 split in torque.
I am confused, I was told during the test drive of the car that the car is full time AWD and by default power is sent to all 4 wheels (60 front and 40 rear) which can be made 50-50 by pressing the AWD lock button, The same was told to me by the demo guy after i had purchased the car, Have driven the FWD version extensively, I can easily say the AWD version drives differently.

Can anyone shed some more light on this?
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:54   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I am confused, I was told during the test drive of the car that the car is full time AWD and by default power is sent to all 4 wheels (60 front and 40 rear) which can be made 50-50 by pressing the AWD lock button, The same was told to me by the demo guy after i had purchased the car, Have driven the FWD version extensively, I can easily say the AWD version drives differently.

The same information was told to me by the sales guy when he came for test drive. However with information I had from team-bhp i didn't believe him.

However while during first service of my XUV AWD, when the vehicle was lifted i tried rotating rear wheel and all the wheels started rotating. If awd system is part -time and is disengaged how does all wheels rotate? Any explanations?
Old 2nd November 2015, 22:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
The same information was told to me by the sales guy when he came for test drive. However with information I had from team-bhp i didn't believe him.

However while during first service of my XUV AWD, when the vehicle was lifted i tried rotating rear wheel and all the wheels started rotating. If awd system is part -time and is disengaged how does all wheels rotate? Any explanations?
Exactly, Couple of times even when my dad took off with the car, I could see the rear wheels in action, Just like how one can makeout looking at the front wheels, The rear tyres were indeed In power too.
Old 2nd November 2015, 22:14   #34
BHPian

The sales guys have no clue. AWD does not sell like hot cakes, so they are not well informed. And most of them just tell you to buy the FWD version only since they get the bonus for selling the vehicle much sooner, rather than waiting for that 1 month for AWDs.

But what I do know is if anything is wrong with the AWD setup, they will work to replace it rather than fix it.

As for the rotation of rear wheels causing the others to rotate is because the rear wheels are connected to the front via the driveshaft which probably is getting rotated due to the you rotating the rear wheel causing the PTU to transfer the rotation to the front tires.
Old 3rd November 2015, 09:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
XUV AWD is full time AWD,.
Quote:
The same information was told to me by the sales guy when he came for test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
The sales guys have no clue..
Full time AWD like the Fortuner have a center differential that is used to compensate the speed difference between the front and rear axles. All you have to do is look under your car and you will know if it is AWD or on demand 4 wheel drive. To the best of my knowledge, XUV 500 is an on demand system like the Duster AWD.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Just out of curiosity - did you consider the Duster AWD? If you did consider it and rejected it, might help to know why?
Did not have the duster in the consideration set as we already have a 5 seater X-over
The use case for the current purchase was to get a vehicle with a rear set comfortable enough for wife's daily (and long) commute + big enough (7 seats) and abuse worthy for weekend outings/longer drives on less than perfect roads
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, Couple of times even when my dad took off with the car, I could see the rear wheels in action, Just like how one can makeout looking at the front wheels, The rear tyres were indeed In power too.
From the XUV 500 videos from mahindra, it seems it's an on demand system.

Please check.

bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 01:20   #38
BHPian

Found this quiet interesting. Not all AWDs are capable vehicles.

Old 4th November 2015, 11:18   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Found this quiet interesting. Not all AWDs are capable vehicles.
Some of the full time AWD systems where center differential does not lock can be disastrous in some circumstances. For example the Honda CRV in the video below.

Fortunately newer AWD(full time) cars also come with Torque Vectoring, and auto locking center differential, example facelift Audi Q5. Old Q5 failed these roller tests.

Electronic Differential lock and Traction Control systems of the ESP package are good help on some of the surfaces, yet can be disastrous on other surfaces. XUV for example works great with ESP on on Icy surface, but bogs down with ESP on in Sand.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th November 2015 at 11:25.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 12:48   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:

I think the answer to this puzzle lies elsewhere. I own an XUV, albeit FWD. However I also own a Duster AWD. And I had a similar confusion with the Duster! Now it has that nifty dial system to chose 2WD, 4WD and Auto modes. My thought was that when you select 2WD it should drive like a pure 2WD vehicle. Apparently not! When it was lifted up and then they gunned the engine in the 2WD mode with the 4 wheels in air to my surprise all the 4 wheels started turning and then even picked up speed! I was zapped initially. However, I think one of the fellow moderators showed me that Duster/Terrano have a transmission that detects and transfers torque to the non powered wheels (behaves like 4wd) even in 2WD mode if the system detects 0 traction. In my case the wheels were in the air. Now, something as simple as a Viscous Coupling could cause this to happen or it can be something more elaborate.

Check if the XUV AWD also has something similar.
Old 5th November 2015, 22:46   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

Check if the XUV AWD also has something similar.
This won't work for XUV AWD. Firstly there is not 2wd mode, it's always in default Auto mode similar to Auto Dial on Duster. Then XUV's ITM system relies on ABS sensors to detect wheel speed difference, once it detects front wheels are moving and rear ones are not, power will be transferred to rear wheels.

TOD is different than Full time AWD. This is not how you check it
Old 6th November 2015, 00:21   #42
BHPian

Even the XUV when on the lift has all four wheels spinning when accelerated. It has to do with the ESP not finding any traction that causes the rear wheels to turn.

Thus,

Duster AWD in 2WD mode -> ESP kicks in rear wheels turn
Duster AWD in Auto mode -> ESP kicks in rear wheels turn

maybe because of ESP, it does not matter if the vehicle is in 2WD or Auto mode, safety trumps all. Maybe next time see if turning ESP off causes the same behavior.

Both XUV and Duster have torque on demand.

Last edited by falconion : 6th November 2015 at 00:39.
Old 7th November 2015, 02:13   #43
BHPian

Dealer called up today to tell that they will be receiving the car on Sunday
Hopefully should be in my hands early next week!
Quite a pleasant surprise considering I was expecting the 25 day wait period to turn into a much longer one..leave aside it getting reduced to 4
Only downer was the fact that I had to raise the funding in a hurry on a day when the market was trending low
Comments on handling of the TOD AWD vs a RWD and a FWD vehicle on tricky surfaces to follow next week
Old 12th November 2015, 12:49   #44
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Good discussion!

I would also like to understand the behavior of ESP in FWD and AWD XUV, is the behavior same if ESP is switched on?
For Instance: if there is a steep climb with gravels/mud we might anticipate front wheel spin and the possibility could be that ESP will cut of the power as soon as wheel spin is encountered and due to which vehicle won't climb, however if same thing happens in AWD XUV with ESP on, I think it will climb without turning off the ESP because ITM will detect torque loss and will transfer it to rear wheels. Is that correct?

I am having AWD model, so want to know when to switch of ESP, like Anshuman said that ESP works fine on ICE but it does not work well on sand.

Last edited by Adesh.Singh : 12th November 2015 at 12:50.
Adesh.Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 13:12   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adesh.Singh View Post
I am having AWD model, so want to know when to switch of ESP, like Anshuman said that ESP works fine on ICE but it does not work well on sand.
Its better to turn off ESP for any surface that may require momentum to get through like loose sand or mud. The problem with Traction control is along with braking the wheel with excessive wheelspin, it also cuts down the engine power.

The Traction Control System just like ABS and ESP systems is calibrated in a different manner on every vehicle, if tuned right it can be a big help certain low traction scenarios most importantly on Ice. That's the reason we have terrain response system on Land Rover vehicles and new Endeavour, which gives us option to switch to a more desirable ESP program for different terrains. The Skoda Yeti has off road mode in ESP. Overall for safety, i see ESP as the most important safety feature a tall high COG SUV can get.

Example- I tried it here, last year Spiti. After 4pm when temperature began to fall in negative, this already frozen patch(this shaded spot did not see sunlight) was slippery. My car climbed comfortably with ESP light blinking wildly, i got down for a photo, it was extremely slippery i was barely able to walk without support.

I took a U Turn, this time attempted the same climb with ESP off and AWD Locked, the car managed with some dancing and lots of wheelspin. With ESP it was so easy, even when i halted midway.

For some other surfaces like Sand, Snow or Mud, ESP/TCS has to be turned off else it bogs down by cutting off engine power and using brakes. On gravel roads ESP works great in keeping the nose pointed straight.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th November 2015 at 13:40.
.anshuman is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks