Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 14:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: EcoSport DCT vs Ertiga AT vs TUV300 AMT

I am not sure how the Eco Sport fits in here considering you are looking for a 7 seater. I will say that it comes with a very good 6 speed auto box. Easily the best of the three cars you have listed.

The TUV AT is best avoided. It is just too crude to consider. The AMT is also a Mahindra developed unit and not the Magneti Marelli one found on Suzuki's and Tata. The gearbox is far from perfect and it may take a couple of iterations from Mahindra to perfect it.

The Ertiga is a very good car. However, the auto box is a 4 speed unit and this will impact economy when you hit the highway. Please be aware that the last row is not comfortable, even for a 10 year old to sit there for extended periods.

The Scorpio Automatic is worth a look.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 17th December 2015 at 14:03.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 14:07   #17
BHPian

Your requirement is quite complex, and actually right now, our auto market does not provide any vehicle matching all your criteria:

a) Automatics usually not offered in the top variant in most of the models.
b) 7 seater MPVs usually have interiors less comfortable compared to Compact SUVs.
c) 7 seater Automatic will good comfort usually are way above your budget
d) Our Indian manufacturers skimping on basic features such as rear wipers, fog lamps etc and moving them to top variant.

So I would suggest the following:
a) Though Ecosport is a good car to drive (1.5L DCT is very good), it is very poor in fuel economy figures. Also, since your requirement is for 6 members, I would suggest to strike off the car straight away. Not very convenient to have 6 members on board for long trips (though this includes kids).
b) TUV300 is one rugged car, with lot of space - But it is in the likes of Bolero / Scorpio for drive-ability. Not a very convenient car to drive around in the City. I am not very confident about the jumper seats either. If you want a proper SUV in budget with decent interiors, you can buy TUV300. If you are just looking for a car with good Ground clearance, you won't find TUV300 comfortable.
c) Ertiga - simply an extension of Swift to seat more members. I would say the interior comfort is on par with the Swift. 5 members can be seated comfortably plus 2 kids in the 3rd row. 1.4L Petrol car is good to drive (have not tried the automatic, though). For your requirement, I see this one fits very well. I see you have concerns about the missing top end features. Try to get a few installed after market if possible.

My sincere opinion is, do not discount kids while planning car's space requirements. Within no time, kids will grow up, and you will need the car to be bigger. I say this, because 2 row cars will not be sufficient for 2 kids
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 14:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I know.. From the title, there is no real comparison between the three cars, except that they are all automatic. ...
It's amazing how similar different people's requirements and choices are: I'm also in the market for an automatic to replace my wife's Santro AT and haven't been able to make a decision yet.

My requirements are sort of similar. Has to be AT with safety features, the cheaper the better (from my wallet's perspective), 5-seater is fine.

I started off thinking small - Brio, Micra. But my wife didn't like those cars. So, graduated to the next level - Jazz, Amaze, Xcent, Figo. My wife didn't like the looks of the Jazz and just didn't like the others. What she liked was the EcoSport. Then I read about the Ertiga AT and apart from size, my wife is agnostic to it. In the meantime, air pollution has been in the news in NCR so I started thinking about the e2o.

But the thinking has remained just that because Maruti doesn't have an Ertiga AT for test drive anywhere in NCR and no availability. Mahindra hasn't bothered to call back for an e2O test drive despite leaving numbers at dealers and on their website. Ford too has only one EcoSport AT for test drive in all of NCR and just about managed to get us a drive. Shocking state of affairs! Then the car companies crib when stuff doesn't sell.

My problem with the EcoSport AT is that it feels heavy and lumbering. It has an old tech engine and that shows in the mileage it returns as well. Maybe i feel this way because my Vento TSI is very different. If Ford had mated the DCT to the Ecoboost engine that would have clinched it. It's a tough decision.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 16:54   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: EcoSport DCT vs Ertiga AT vs TUV300 AMT

If you want a 7-seater Automatic that is great in the city and on the highway, extend your budget (even if it means waiting) and get the XUV500 Automatic. It is one heck of an SUV. I took it out for a highway spin and came back impressed. Not dual-clutch fast, but acceptably so and very smooth too. The big engine makes it competent in the city & on the expressway.

Remove the TUV300 from your list. Not sure how that 3-cylinder (which anyway has no top-end performance) will perform with an AMT & a full load of passengers onboard. With only me onboard, it would struggle over a 100 - 110 kph.

On the other hand, if can't stretch your budget for the XUV500, get the EcoSport AT and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Another option is to purchase a 5 seater now and rent out ( zoom, Justride, Myles) whenever there is a need for a 7 seater.
Shailesh has given you smart advice. Not like you need a 7-seater everyday.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 17:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Ertiga VXI Automatic :

What we didnt like :[list][*]4 Speed AT Gear Box. This is one of the major concerns, as this car will be used on highways with full load of 4 adults and 2 kids
I am not sure why 4 speed AT would be a concern on highway. Are you worried about the mileage, top speed or overtaking ability? In the Ertiga thread on the forum, the gear ratios are listed. The top speed won't be of an issue since overdrive of manual is similar to overdrive of AT. The third of AT is close to the 4th. The gear skimping is in the 1/2 part, where manual has 3 evenly spaced gear ratios, the AT has only 2. Don't think this should affect highway speeds. But overtaking, yes, it might be impacted.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

From your list, vote is for the Ecosport.

Although, you are considering the TUV as a 7 seater, your need for 7 seats will be during long journeys I assume. Since the last row seats are jump seats without headrests or seatbelts, not sure if it will be comfortable/suitable for even kids over long journeys. An adult cannot sit there comfortably too.

On the Ertiga, not sure how it will respond on highways with a full load and a 4 speed AT box. Although the CIaz has the same box, it is ~150 kg lighter than the Ertiga and of course needs to only carry 5. Would recommend doing an extensive test drive of the AT before deciding.

One other option is to wait for the Duster AT (AMT), expected early next year. More spacious than the Ecosport and of course nothing handles bad roads like a Duster. I have not driven it a lot, but I think the seating and visibility make it a comfortable car for non regular drivers also to handle.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Ertiga - I have driven the MT. It has decent power. Has a fair amount of space. Have spent close to a couple of hours on the last row. I am 5'10 and didnt face any discomforts. Kids can easily be made to occupy the last row. Cannot comment on AT.

Ecosport - Own the Ecoboost and friend has the AT. Suspension is stiff. FE is not bad. The DCT gearbox on the AT is better than the rest but its not a DSG . This vehicle can fly if you want it to. Feature rich and has the required safety features.

TUV 3OO - Cant comment on how it drives as i have not driven it. However the only point to make here is that it not a 7 seater with those jump seats throw in and without seatbelts i guess. Its a strict 5 seater. Kids wont be comfy in the last row and they can even sleep since its not a bench.

I know you would not want to but if i were you and if its ok to let go of the AT, i would hunt for a decently run Innova within that budget. Its supremely comfortable, built well and super reliable. You can give it a thought. And keep the E2O, you are reducing the carbon footprint.
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 23:59   #23
Team-BHP Support

My advice is on the "sell" side.

Sell the i10 instead of e2o because it is easy to sell and you will still get a decent amount. You will take a huge depreciation hit if you try to sell the e2o, because of low demand in both new and used car market.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:42   #24
BHPian

I was in similar Dilemma, and finally booked a TUV 300 T8 Manual. (Automatic is a bit slow)

Look wise I don't really know why people compare it with others. It is boxy and jeep like, if that suits your taste. For me it looks good due to its massive road presence compared to Ecosport and Ertiga.

I will suggest do take a test drive of TUV. For me it was the very easy decision once I test drove it. You will never want to sit in a low car again.
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 10:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements by priority :
  • Automatic for handling the maddening traffic and also compact enough for wife to drive in the city traffic
  • Good Ground Clearance to tackle Bangalore Roads where there are literally no roads and just potholes everywhere with the skyscrapper humps
  • Ride Comfort with good suspension
  • 7 seater (We are 6 in the family - Me, Wifey, Parents and 2 kids, aged 6 & 4)
  • Safety (Dual Airbags and ABS/EBD are bare minimum necessities)
  • Good performance and FE (Petrol or Diesel really doesnt matter, but need to be good at cruising speeds for those occasional highway trips)
  • Feel good factor with good interior quality
  • Budget - Not more than 12 Lakhs (The lesser the better)

Considering the above factors, I zeroed in on three cars.
  1. Ford Ecosport AT
  2. Maruti Ertiga VXI AT
  3. TUV300 AMT
Well Sir, in my opinion, none of the above cars qualify fully to your requirements.

Considering your prime requirement to transport 7 people togather in a single car comfortably and given budget constraints, I would suggest you to explore the other segments esp the MPV segment. Offerings such as Enjoy, Tavera, Lodgy, or a large SUV such as Xylo or a Bolero. Even then, you may have to compromise on the interiors.

Presently the old gen Innova is out of production, you may get the lower variant in bargain that falls under your budget.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 15th March 2016 at 10:20.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 18:30   #26
BHPian

If you had kept a poll at top then my gut feeling is Ecosport AT would have got most votes.

It may not be able to seat 6 adults but its a complete package in terms of DCT, ground clearance, and safety. With recently reduced prices its a steal.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 10:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Requirements by priority :
  • Automatic for handling the maddening traffic and also compact enough for wife to drive in the city traffic
  • Good Ground Clearance to tackle Bangalore Roads where there are literally no roads and just potholes everywhere with the skyscrapper humps
  • Ride Comfort with good suspension
  • 7 seater (We are 6 in the family - Me, Wifey, Parents and 2 kids, aged 6 & 4)
  • Safety (Dual Airbags and ABS/EBD are bare minimum necessities)
  • Good performance and FE (Petrol or Diesel really doesnt matter, but need to be good at cruising speeds for those occasional highway trips)
  • Feel good factor with good interior quality
  • Budget - Not more than 12 Lakhs (The lesser the better)
Considering the above factors, I zeroed in on three cars.
  1. Ford Ecosport AT
  2. Maruti Ertiga VXI AT
  3. TUV300 AMT
The TUV300 AMT will have the least compromises for you, 5 can seat comfortably in forward facing seats, as children are small four can sit on the rear seat which is considerably wide, and you have 7 seats on paper to avoid Police RTO issue.
Second choice will be the Ertiga AT, where all 7 seats are forward facing, and the only thing you loose on is the ground clearance, which though lesser than SUV's is far better than most sedans.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 14:45   #28
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for all your valuable comments. If not for this thread, I would have almost bought the ecoSport AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post

My sincere opinion is, do not discount kids while planning car's space requirements. Within no time, kids will grow up, and you will need the car to be bigger. I say this, because 2 row cars will not be sufficient for 2 kids
So true. I do realize this and one of the main reasons why I havent purchased ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My advice is on the "sell" side.

Sell the i10 instead of e2o because it is easy to sell and you will still get a decent amount. You will take a huge depreciation hit if you try to sell the e2o, because of low demand in both new and used car market.
Two reasons why we wanted to sell it :
1) This car is a CLV and I cant purchase the new vehicle through CLV again unless I close the current lease reuqest. Its more beneficial for me to go for CLV for tax benefits.
2) The quality aspect of it. I even considered buying back the car and use it for a longer time, but not at all confident that it will last long with the kind of roads in Bangalore.

Lot of changes took place since the time I have started this thread and the latest update on our car purchase :

Our driver has quit and thanks to Ola and Uber Cab services, Dad is now super comfortable commuting in those cabs. That enabled us with an option to replace both our cars and go for a single 7 seater that will serve all our needs. Zeroed in on Innova Crysta GX AT and booked it too. BR-V is a close contender, but the narrow 2nd row width, build quality are the main deciding factors not to go for it. XUV500 was another strong contender, but the lack of boot space with all three rows up and the quality of it overall as a package ruled it out. Add to it, the ownership experience of e2o for close to 2 years didnt help either.

Plan was to get a small AT Hatch later for wife, when finance permits. Got a decent trade in estimate for both the cars (i10 and e2o) from Toyota and we are almost set or so we thought.

One of my office colleague who expressed interest in the e2o agreed to take it on lease transfer, which means we could transfer the e2o without any depreciation hit. Double bonus. With the e2o gone, my wife is now left with out a car that she can drive and it became more difficult for her when I had to go out of station for couple of days due to a family emergency. That got us thinking again about not having a car that my wife could drive. She is never convinced about driving the Innova Crysta even though its automatic, mainly for its size. While we are at this thinking back and forth, one of my friend has decided to sell his i10 Sportz AT as his father is no longer using it. Its a 2011 make, run very less (15k KMs on the ODO) and is maintained well. He asked me if I wanted to take it and I said yes. Price agreed upon is decent, with the only catch being its a Non KA car. I decided to go ahead with it as we anyway wanted to buy an AT hatch for city runabouts. Above all this, being a pre-owned car means, we could buy it without having an additional EMI burden. I picked up the car two weeks back and has already completed 2k Kms. Since it was not used much, there were few repairs needed, and AC Overhauling is pending.

So we put the purchase of Innova Crysta on hold as we had to divert the funds for the i10 AT. Plan is to wait for couple more months as we accumulate the necessary funds needed for the down payment. That being said, now that we have a AT car for city usage, does it make sense to plonk in that additional money for the Crysta AT, but rather go for the manual GX. VX and ZX are out of equation as the GX itself is a stretch for us due to other financial commitments. This car wont be used regularly unlike the i10 AT and will probably be taken out only during the weekends, for highway trips or when there is a need to ferry more than 5 passengers.

Last edited by samabhi : 11th July 2016 at 14:58. Reason: Added more details
samabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 16:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
So we put the purchase of Innova Crysta on hold as we had to divert the funds for the i10 AT. Plan is to wait for couple more months as we accumulate the necessary funds needed for the down payment. That being said, now that we have a AT car for city usage, does it make sense to plonk in that additional money for the Crysta AT, but rather go for the manual GX. VX and ZX are out of equation as the GX itself is a stretch for us due to other financial commitments. This car wont be used regularly unlike the i10 AT and will probably be taken out only during the weekends, for highway trips or when there is a need to ferry more than 5 passengers.
Dear samabhi,
I am no expert, but my 2 bits: the future seems to be AT cars. Wait a bit and surely the Crysta AT GX will fit in your budget. Also any teething troubles (if any) will be ironed out. It is indeed a super car.
One more possibility - even though your wife says NO to the Crysta due to its size, with time that fear will go away. My wife was totally scared of driving our City. In a short time the fear went away. Once we had rented a XUV 5OO from Zoomcar. She drove it for about 150 km easily.

Regards,
Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed