Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 415 73.58%
Toyota Fortuner 76 13.48%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 34 6.03%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 7 1.24%
Hyundai Santa Fe 7 1.24%
SsangYong Rexton 4 0.71%
Mahindra XUV500 21 3.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Endeavour vs the competition

Ford Endeavour vs the competition-endeavour-tech-specs.jpeg

Ford Endeavour

What you'll like:
• A big all-rounded SUV with no real deal breaker. Fantastic pricing as well
• Macho styling packs appeal. Solid build quality matches the butch presence
• Cabin is a nice place to be in. Likeable design, comfy seats & lots of storage
• Competent range of diesel engines. The 3.2L, especially, is very impressive
• Great balance between ride & handling for a body-on-frame SUV. Sweet steering too
• Offroad ready - Terrain Management System, rear diff lock, 225 mm GC & 800 mm of water wading
• 5 star safety: all wheel disc brakes, ESP & TC, 7 airbags, roll stability control, hill launch assist etc.
• Loaded to the gill with features! Panoramic sunroof, 8" touchscreen ICE + 10 speakers, parallel park assist, powered tailgate, xenon headlamps, triple-zone climate control & more

What you won't:
• Fortuner's cabin is roomier, offering more headroom & space at the back
• Missing essentials such as steering reach adjustment, satellite navigation, passive keyless entry & go, tumbling middle row seat & third row seat recline
• 2.2L engine feels lethargic over 120 kph. Not a fast highway express
• Mediocre fuel economy due to the fat 2,200+ kilo weight, AT & big diesel (3.2L)
• Ingress is difficult for the elderly / short folk. 3rd row access is terrible!
• Waiting periods are already a couple of months long
• No manual gearbox with the 3.2L. Fortuner 3.0L is available with an MT

Link to Official Review

Toyota Fortuner

What you'll like:
• Butch styling & strong presence
• Bulletproof reliability & durability. Built for abuse
• Excellent diesel engine with 169 BHP & 360 Nm of torque
• User-friendly, spacious interiors
• Competent 5-speed Automatic gearbox. Marries convenience with go-anywhere ability
• Offroad capability with 4x4, low ratio transfer case, LSD & lockable diff
• Toyota's excellent after-sales service
• Goodies: vehicle stability control, reversing camera, electric driver's seat, GPS navigation and touchscreen ICE

What you won't:
• The price just keeps climbing with time. 3.0 AT 4x4 costs 30 lakhs on the road!
• Stiff suspension is too bumpy, especially at city speeds. Pitches on the highway too
• Ordinary, utilitarian interiors are strikingly similar to the Innova's
• Poor brakes. Still no rear discs! Inadequate stopping power from high speed
• Many features missing (reach-adjustable steering, auto-dimming IRVM, flippy key etc.)
• Only two airbags in such an expensive vehicle
• Mediocre fuel economy due to the 2000 kilo weight, AT & big 3.0 engine

Link to Official Review

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
Ford Endeavour vs the competition-08.jpg

Ownership reviews by:
• anshuman_v
• Imran Ahmad Ali
• satpalsharma

Chevrolet Trailblazer

What you'll like:
• Big size & presence matched to a solid build
• Spacious interiors with ample room in the 1st & 2nd seat rows
• Fast 2.8L turbo-diesel with 500 Nm of torque! Smooth 6-speed AT too
• Class-leading 241 mm of ground clearance & 800 mm of water wading capability
• Urban ride quality is more compliant than the Toyota Fortuner
• Equipment such as electric seat (driver), touchscreen audio, reversing camera & 18" rims
• Safety kit includes all-round disc brakes, ESP, TC, CBC, Hill Start Assist & more

What you won't:
• No 4x4 available! All direct competitors offer 4x4 / AWD
• Missing equipment (steering reach adjustment, navigation, sunroof, auto-dimming IRVM etc.)
• Unsettled high speed ride, especially at the rear
• Lazy AT gearbox is slow to respond to kickdown / downshift commands
• Only two airbags in such an expensive car
• Available in a single variant that's more expensive than the Fortuner 4x2 AT
• Mediocre fuel economy due to the 2000+ kilo weight, AT & powerful diesel

Link to Official Review

Hyundai Santa Fe

What you'll like:
• Substantial size and presence. Great styling too
• Powerful & refined 194 BHP diesel engine
• Absorbent ride comfort matched to safe & predictable dynamics
• Fresh, high-quality interiors with comfortable seats
• Expansive feature list (xenon headlamps, selectable steering modes, dual-zone climate control etc.)
• 5-star safety rating. Equipment includes 6 airbags, ABS & EBD, ESP & TCS, hill start assist and more
• Hyundai's reliability and fuss-free ownership experience

What you won't:
• Premium pricing strategy. Noticeably more expensive than the Fortuner, Pajero Sport and others
• 3rd row of seats is severely short of headroom. Not a true 7 seater like some of its competitors
• Doesn't have the offroad capability of the body-on-frame alternatives
• No manual transmission with the AWD. The MT variant also loses a lot of safety equipment
• Soft suspension can result in a bouncy rear end at high speeds + undulating roads
• A sunroof, front parking sensors & auto-dimming IRVM are sorely missed
• Vague steering feel & unenthusiastic AT gearbox take away from the driving experience

Link to Official Review

SsangYong Rexton
Ford Endeavour vs the competition-capture.jpg

Mahindra XUV500

What you’ll like:
• 6-speed AT is smooth & capable. Superbly mated to the mHawk diesel
• Available with AWD & in the fully loaded variant (unlike the Hyundai Creta)
• Well-engineered, contemporary SUV with a value-for-money price tag
• Acres of space on the 1st & 2nd seat rows
• Competent engine delivers fantastic driveability & highway performance
• Balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, ABS + EBD and all-wheel disc brakes
• Expansive feature list (sunroof, touchscreen ICE, powered driver's seat, cruise control etc.)

What you won’t:
• Convenient keyless entry & go feature inexplicably removed from the automatic!
• Absolutely no luggage capacity with all the seats in place
• Cramped 3rd seat row is best suited to children only. A sliding middle row is sorely missed
• Ordinary interior quality. Still has a lot of scope for improvement
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing XUV500 owners
• Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences

Link to Official Review

Last edited by S2!!! : 22nd February 2016 at 13:25.
S2!!! is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

My choice is the Endeavour! Great styling, powerful 3.2L engine, well-mannered on the road, intermediate level offroad-ability and loaded with features & safety kit. Ford got the product and pricing spot on. It's got an air of desirability around it.

Second choice would be the Santa Fe. Good presence, sweet diesel engine, car-like ride & handling, superb refinement and Hyundai's reliability + ownership experience. In fact, if someone is looking for a purely urban / on-road SUV, I'd recommend the Santa Fe over the Endeavour.

The segment is in for an overhaul and that only makes things better for us! Look forward to the next-gen Fortuner & Pajero Sport.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Heart says Big Ford, But head says Fortuner.

With vastly superior after sales, market reputation, bullet proof reliability and superb resale value, my mind says Fortuner with eyes closed.

However, the Big Ford's Brute of an engine, superior suspension and butch styling is just too hard to ignore.
So, finally heart wins over head and my vote goes to the Big Ford.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

7. Chevrolet Trailblazer - Looks almost like a Fortuner, except that it looks a bit ugly from some angles. Chevrolet has lost it with this one IMO.

6. Mahindra XUV500 - I consider this one half a segment below the others in the list, although i love the overall package that it offers. If the comparison was with the likes of the Creta - I would have voted for the XUV 5OO without batting an eyelid. But with the other 'giants' in this list - this one is the first to go out. (The Chevy never made it to the list also!)

5. SsangYong Rexton
- Drove this one years back. Didn't impress me too much back then, and with not much changes over the years, don't think it would now either.

4. Toyota Fortuner - I've driven one quite a lot and can say for sure that its not my cup of tea. Hard and bumpy ride quality destroys the otherwise indestructible feel of the car and you need to take it slow over speedbreakers and potholes. Interiors are poor quality stuff and bare bones when it comes to features. Infact, my Punto and Xcent are loaded with features when compared to the Fortuner. 35L on-road Bangalore too!

3. Hyundai Santa Fe - What a majestic car! There is one in my office, a black one and it just looks royal with the shiny black colour and the chrome accents. But then - I would prefer something that can rule the roads.

2. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - One of my favourites, and I just don't know where to place the finger on. I mean - I haven't even gone near one, let alone get to drive it. But it just pulls heart strings - even now when I opened this thread and scrolled through the pictures, the Pajero was the one to appeal to the heart first. But then, head disagrees - lack of support from Mitsu in the Indian market being the biggest reason for it.

1. Ford Endeavour - The old Endeavour was a nice vehicle and the new one is quite a revolution. Love it for retaining the old school looks even while giving it a modern touch. The whole world has gone fluidic (Upcoming Fortuner and Pajero Sport looks ) and hence this really is appreciable. Plus it seems loaded with features like the panoramic sunroof, and even comes with good engine options.

My vote goes to the Endeavour.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd February 2016 at 12:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:02   #6
BHPian

My vote goes for the Big American ! Looks 100% SUV, and what's on offer simply beats the competition hands down

Second Choice will be Santa Fe for the premium features and elegant looks

Third will be the Pajero Sport for the Legendary Name itself

Fourth goes to the XUV500 for what it offers for the Price, even though its a full segment down, XUV holds some character around it

Fifth spot will be the Fortuner but I feel its way too overpriced for what's on offer

Sixth, Rexton, Seen a few on road and it got some presence, but due to lack of Brand recognition, It doesn't appeal, If it was launched may be as Mahindra, it might have sold a bit better (just may be)

Trialblazer , Never seen one

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2016 at 09:41. Reason: No acronyms please (e.g. T-Fort)
Asish_VK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:45   #7
BHPian

Definitely the Endeavour. The freshest product here and one with H-U-G-E road presence. Equipment list is good, engine and gearbox options are good and the pricing is spot on. It will surely win this poll hands down.
If my budget was limited to 20 lacs, then XUV W10 would be my pick, anything above it and the other cars overshadow it.
If I had a Chinese wife, then I'd buy the Rexton to impress her.
If I was a local Neta, I would close my eyes and get the Fortuner.
If I did off-roading primarily, I would get the Pajero.
If Chevrolet made me win some contest of theirs and gifted me the Trailblazer, I would drive it (That's the only way I would ever own a Trailblazer)
AND
If the Endeavour wasn't an option, then I would pick the Santa Fe.

The way Hyundai's styling gets better as we move up the ladder is phenomenal. Based on looks only, I would rank as follows: Santa Fe > Sonata > Elantra > Verna > Xcent.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 23rd February 2016 at 15:59.
drive2eternity is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

This does not even look like a healthy comparison!! At least, not until the new Pajero and the Fortuner are launched!

Voted for the Endeavor! But waiting for the other launches!
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

It's not to difficult to choose the winner: Endeavour.

Ford Endeavour: It's simply the best choice there. Extremely well priced, sensible engine options, great off roading ability and a long list of features. Also, it's been praised for it's handling. Ford has got a winner.

Toyota Fortuner: The aging warrior now has a formidable opponent which is going to send it to a steady decline. The main reason the Fortuner will still do well as Toyota have the production capacity when the Endeavour has waiting periods. Also, the dealer discounts would have started.

Hyundai Santa Fe: Unfortunately for Hyundai, the market is not looking for the Crossoverish SUV the Santa Fe is. It's a similar case of the Hyundai Getz in India. The car is wonderful, but was ahead of it's time.

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Chevrolet Trailblazer, SsangYong Rexton are all good cars, but their volumes don't reflect the same. You're not sure when the company will stop the support.

Mahindra XUV500 shouldn't be brought in this comparison. It's unfair to the XUV. I see XUV as a terrific alternative to a C Segment sedan, all the above SUVs being alternatives to the D Segment sedans.

The real comparison starts when the new Fortuner is launched.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd February 2016 at 17:53.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:11   #10
BHPian

I voted for the Endeavor, but I feel that the XUV is one of the most VFM SUVs out there. I like the looks even though they're a bit overdone IMO. I just wish Mahindra hadn't added the curvy LED light in the headlamps. Looks super tacky to me. I love the Fortuner, but I feel the new one won't be as special as the outgoing one. No particular reason, just a gut feeling.

My friend was in a similar dilemma roughly a year ago, and he went for the Fortuner. He said the Santa Fe was super cramped and didn't feel like a car which costs this much.

If I could easily stretch the budget then Endeavor, otherwise the XUV 4x4 MT! I hope Ford launches a manual soon
Old 23rd February 2016, 19:53   #11
BHPian

If I had 25 L at my disposal or if I can afford it now, I would definitely wait for the Hexa to come (I assume it is round the corner). Since that is not there in this list, my vote is for Toyota Fortuner.
Reason for Toyota - its frugal appearance (I know that is purely personal, but that design has grown on me and I am truly in love with that). Whenever I see one in white colour I really drool over it!!! I have never driven a Fortuner, my opinion/ choice is purely based on T-BHP!!!.
Reason why I chose it over XUV5OO - I have driven the old gen XUV5OO for a comparatively good distance and I personally couldn't feel connected as a passenger. However, from a driver perspective, I liked it.
So it was a very close competition for me between Fortuner & XUV5OO and the winning margin is rather thin.
Jakku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:20   #12
BHPian

1. Ford Endeavour: This was my number one choice by a long margin. It's new, the 3.2 engine is maddening (the 2.2 isn't that bad either), has good features, nice old-school SUV looks, etc. Basically everything seems to be going right for the car. The only reason I find a bit doubtful is the ASS but of late Ford reviews have been coming decent so could live with that.

2. Hyundai Santa Fe: If I were finding a car for only Mumbai with the occasional expressway trip, this would have been the car. Looks good, quite modern and Hyundai backup. However we have to vote for a SUV, i.e. a brute which people see in rear view mirrors and give way!

3. Toyota Fortuner: If it were the new T-Fort, it might have been higher. The existing model is way too old now and Toyota will lose market share if they don't get the new model ASAP. In fact the new Innova also seems to be better than the existing T-Fort.

4. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport: Purely for the "Pajero" name. Makes one go nostalgic considering this was the true-blue SUV once upon a time in the country and anyone who was someone had one.

NOT COUNTED. Chevrolet Trailblazer & SsangYong Rexton: If the T-Fort is old, these guys are dinosaurs! Less said the better.

NOT RANKED: Mahindra XUV500: I found this to be an outsider for this survey, i.e. from another segment, and didn't consider it for ranking.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 23rd February 2016 at 21:22.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:25   #13
BHPian

I've always had a thing for Fords, so voted for the Endeavour with my eyes closed. Looks amazing, well priced, just so desirable!

The Santa Fe somehow seems too feminine to me.

The Fortuner is starting to show its age now.

I find the Trailblazer to be a bit underwhelming but would love to drive it just for the amazing engine.

Also, its amazing that the XUV which is at least half a segment lower can hold its ground. Way to go Mahindra.

And finally, shouldn't the X1 be competing as well? And does Honda not sell the CRV anymore?
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My choice is the Endeavour! Great styling, powerful 3.2L engine, well-mannered on the road, intermediate level offroad-ability and loaded with features & safety kit. Ford got the product and pricing spot on. It's got an air of desirability around it.

Second choice would be the Santa Fe. Good presence, sweet diesel engine, car-like ride & handling, superb refinement and Hyundai's reliability + ownership experience. In fact, if someone is looking for a purely urban / on-road SUV, I'd recommend the Santa Fe over the Endeavour.

The segment is in for an overhaul and that only makes things better for us! Look forward to the next-gen Fortuner & Pajero Sport.
+ 1 to everything GTO said. I would prefer the same order. But, we still cannot comment fair without full info on the new-gen Fortuner & Pajero. Lookwise, i would remove them two from the preference, but the engine,options,price would influence the choice of any enthusiast.
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Ford Endeavour - great package and this Ford got it pretty much spot on with all the aspects - price, looks, drivability, safety etc.

But if I am looking for SUV (occasional 7-seater) for myself, I probably would go for the Santa Fe. The design is neat (thankfully not over-fluidic), reasonably luxurious, and it feels more car-like, and probably better suited as a daily drive.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks