Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 415 73.58%
Toyota Fortuner 76 13.48%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 34 6.03%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 7 1.24%
Hyundai Santa Fe 7 1.24%
SsangYong Rexton 4 0.71%
Mahindra XUV500 21 3.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 22:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

The Endeavour seems to be the clear winner because of the completely new avatar. The real competition will start when we get to see the new fortuner which supposedly has been postponed. Good time for ford to attack the market. Bang on pricing.
I feel it is asking for too much by including XUV amongst these cars.

PS: why did they even launch trailblazer ?
Old 24th February 2016, 00:29   #17
BHPian

Endeavour it is for me! I seriously doubt Toyota will be able to undercut Ford in terms of pricing and features. Toyota prices its vehicles with a free hand simultaneously remaining frugal in terms of features. It is banking heavily on the brand image and the basic reliability of its vehicles. Honda and Toyota have found it a hard compete whenever the game has rested on prices alone.
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 00:32   #18
BHPian

Considering the fact sheet on the first page of this thread, I would go for the Chevy as it seems to be a proper SUV with butch appearance and mechanical aspects to match. The others excluding the FORD have a feminine, girly touch to them. Having said that, Chevy should set the price to about 23 lakh with a six speed manual and 4 wheel drive but the high tech engine( highest tech in this bunch) might be eating into their profits if at all they are making any profit selling this.

If looks alone were the criteria then the FORD and if resale was on my mind then the Toyota even with reliability issues the recent batch of Fortuner vehicles face and the vague response the customer gets from the company when confronted with issues.

In Cochin, Ernakulam people would think twice about the Fortuner because of reliability issues. Those running TAXI fleets think twice before plunging to book the Fortuner at that price, though they still swear by the 2nd hand Qualis, Liva/Etios and 1st and 2nd generation Innova. Present day Innova is finding buyers here in Cochin only because we do not have a choice in this MPV segment. All other MPV's come with an undersized over stressed engine. Our college's 2 lakh kilometer run 5 year old Innova is in a far better shape (body and engine) than our nearly new 60,000km 2 year old vehicle. Hope the Crista makes amends.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 24th February 2016 at 00:40.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 09:49   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
proper SUV...mechanical aspects to match
What mechanical aspects does it have to make it a proper SUV? 4x4 isn't even available as an option.

Quote:
but the high tech engine( highest tech in this bunch) might be eating into their profits if at all they are making any profit selling this.
The engine has nothing to do with its high pricing. It's a CBU, hence attracting higher taxes.

Quote:
even with reliability issues the recent batch of Fortuner vehicles face
I think your comment is factually incorrect. The Fortuner has bullet-proof reliability.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 09:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Endy has this covered easily. Its the most refined, modern vehicle of the bunch and probably also the most capable off road.

Even for someone like me who has never done any offroading, this is an enticing vehicle. It has all the creature comforts that one needs with proper off-roading hardware and is priced well enough to take the entire market away from the Fortuner.

As much as I love Mitsubishi, the Pajero they are peddling in India is not the real deal - its a triton truck modified to look like an SUV. The real pajero is the CBU montero. This is only an outdated imposter and I'd not touch it.
Old 24th February 2016, 12:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Its Obvious! My vote goes for Ford Endeavour, it is the clear winner here. By far it is my choice amongst proper 4x4, at any price point. Remember, in Australia it is priced close to Prado and Fortuner(next Gen) and still wins many of the comparison tests.

The fair comparison will be once the competitors new generation SUV's arrive here ie next gen Fortuner and Pajero Sport. Unfortunately that's not going to happen before 2017(for Pajero Sport i guess it will be even later). But I see there is no way Toyota will price the new Fortuner cheaper or equal to the new Endeavour considering the new Innova is expected to be priced real close to the existing Fortuner.

Both the Monocoques, Santa Fe and XUV-500 are nice vehicles too at their respective price points, and if you don't wish to take the SUV off the road, these ones make more sense over the Pickup truck derived SUV's.

Trailblazer is too late in the game, poorly priced and specced(Why would you like to suffer a chassis based truck if there is no 4x4?).

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th February 2016 at 12:33.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 14:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What mechanical aspects does it have to make it a proper SUV? 4x4 isn't even available as an option.

The engine has nothing to do with its high pricing. It's a CBU, hence attracting higher taxes.

I think your comment is factually incorrect. The Fortuner has bullet-proof reliability.
Please read the first para of the post as regards need for a 4*4 as an option for 23 lakhs,

It is the cost of the high tech engine that has sky rocketed the pricing in the CBU vehicle as regards the Trailblazer.

The Fortuner was bullet proof reliable but not the ones released from 2015 onward. Have a word with Fleet/Tour operators. Not only engines especially the turbo is troublesome, the body starts rusting at the bottom of the door edges which can be assessed by the paint bubbling up.
Old 24th February 2016, 14:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It is the cost of the high tech engine that has sky rocketed the pricing in the CBU vehicle as regards the Trailblazer.
What's cutting edge technology in this engine, which is missing from the other competitors and makes Trailblazer so expensive?

If that cutting edge technology is so expensive, why is it not priced at premium in other markets(mainly Australia)?
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fortuner was bullet proof reliable but not the ones released from 2015 onward. Have a word with Fleet/Tour operators. Not only engines especially the turbo is troublesome, the body starts rusting at the bottom of the door edges which can be assessed by the paint bubbling up.
Erm, not sure if this makes a valid statement!

A car produced in 2015 ( less than 12 months ) has turbo issues and rusting issues?? I wouldn't believe you, even if you were talking about some car that is new or untested to our market. That too when you are talking about Toyota, without a solid proof, I simply won't buy in... Period!

In other news :
Though I am arguing for the Fortuner here, I voted for the best SUV and the newest one in town - the Ford Endeavour I was just arguing to get things straightened up a bit.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:42   #25
BHPian

I have a Santa Fe 4x4 MT 2011 and after 45k kms face reliability issues. Cost of maintenance is also quite high. Replaced the power steering pulley at 40K. Now i have supposedly a blown gasket. Seriously, blown gaskets went out with the days of the 2nd and 3rd hand Ambassadors and Fiats.
Would go in for a new SUV now. Just saw the Discovery Sport "S" but found the price not worth the value. The New 3.2 Endeavour Titanium is nice, only wish they would offer a 5 seat option. Only option is to wait for the new Fortuner, it seems. Long wait though!
Any other options in the Rs 30-45 L range?
Old 24th February 2016, 17:43   #26
BHPian

If one were to look at the total cost of ownership including resale over say, a 5 year period, wouldn't the Fortuner end up costing as less as half the others? Makes a strong enough case by this yardstick I'd say.

Although, this is mere speculation on my part based on the assumption that others mostly have poor resale, including the previous gen Endeavour.
Old 25th February 2016, 01:59   #27
BHPian

The Ford Endeavour seems to be the obvious choice for the majority and it is rightfully so. Even my vote goes to the Endeavour despite having a Fortuner 4x4 MT which I love so dearly!

The Endeavour, according to me has ticked the most number of boxes to deserve this appreciation. The SUV definitely looks the part with all the necessary muscle and hunky-dory in the right proportions. Despite the boxy silhouette, Ford has managed to make it look modern. The cabin and dash carry the same design scheme of looking muscular and modern to the inside as well.

The engines seem to get mixed reviews. However my only gripe would be not having the 3.2 with a proper MT. But that is just me. Ford obviously would have thought it through.

The sunroof, the triple zone climate control, the parallel park assist and all other features at this price point just seals the deal when compared to the bare bones Fortuner.

Well done Ford.
Old 25th February 2016, 08:31   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Lets not take the thread off-topic. Stick to the poll & your choices please.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:22   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
The New 3.2 Endeavour Titanium is nice, only wish they would offer a 5 seat option.
What is wrong with the 7 seat option? If you don't use the last row, leave it folded, you anyway have a flat loading area.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Endy, by all means. Its fantastically imposing and handsome. The fortuner is ubiquitous in East NCR, and the image is not a friendly one at all, and somehow looks soft in its lines.
And looking at the way fords hold value , will be very welcome in the garage in a couple of years.

Most Viewed