Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 415 73.58%
Toyota Fortuner 76 13.48%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 34 6.03%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 7 1.24%
Hyundai Santa Fe 7 1.24%
SsangYong Rexton 4 0.71%
Mahindra XUV500 21 3.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2016, 19:02   #46
BHPian

S.U.V Dilemma

Background
I have switched jobs recently, my commute to the office now includes many rough patches along the way. Moreover the the drive will be atleast 100Km daily. I am looking for an S.U.V/M.U.V as the Corolla isn't going to cut it anymore.
The car will be chauffeur driven mainly, and I'm looking to keep the car for the next 2-3 years. We don't necessarily require 7/8 seats as we have a family of 4. 4wd is not required, but the car should be automatic.

Requirements :
  • High resale value
  • Good ride comfort and suspension
  • Low cost of spares
  • Automatic transmission
  • Good refinement levels
  • Good ground clearence
  • Good FE(open to petrol options)
  • Budget 26-27 lakh OTR.

New Cars Considered :
  • Ford Endeavour 2.2 4x2 Trend AT
  • Toyota Innova 2.8 AT
  • All New Toyota Fortuner

Ford Endeavour :
I like the macho looks of this vehicle. It has good road presence and a decent amount of kit in the Trend variant. It's just a tad bit above my budget, but the sales rep was open to negotiate. I am not looking to go for the Titanium variant or the 3.2 4x4 variant as they do not fit my budget.
During the test drive, I didn't like the ride quality and the weak engine, feels a lot like my diesel Corolla. Hence I have second thoughts regarding this vehicle.

Toyota Innova :
The Innova has a lot of equipment on offer if you get the top variant. It lacks the road presence of the Fortuner or Endeavour. I like the overall package and it fits most of my requirements but I'm not in the mood to pay 24 lakhs for an Innova. Moreover it looks boxy in a few of the colors on offer.

All New Toyota Fortuner :
The pricing on this vehicle is going to be 30 lakhs or more, that's mainly the reason I am going to drop this from the list.

Used Cars Considered
  • Toyota Fortuner AT(4x4/4x2)
    The resale value of the Fortuner is very high. 1-2 year old cars being sold for 22-25 lakh. Main issues with this car is the ride quality, gruff engine etc.
  • BMW X3 2012-2013
    With the X3 the only pressing issue is the high spare cost and the fact I'll be driving 40k Km annually and that after 2 years the car will have run 80k km + its mileage with the previous owner.
  • Volvo XC60 2012-2013
    Same concerns as with the X3

I was hoping that you guys could help me out by giving your expert opinions on the same and help me reach a decision.
Thank you
Old 15th October 2016, 22:37   #47
BHPian

Re: S.U.V Dilemma

With the requirements you have listed, the Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT seems to be the best bet. Yes it may not have the road presence like the SUVs you are considering but it is the interiors which you would be seeing for a longer time. And the interiors on the Innova, specially the brown leather ones on the top-end variant are really nice. The comfort that it provides can't be matched by any of the body-on-frame SUVs.

Although you said that you do not mind a petrol car, but with your running, a SUV/MUV with a petrol engine wouldn't be ideal because of poor fuel efficiency due to high weight.

For your running, a new car seems to be the best bet. Downtime is something you wouldn't want, I presume. Yes, 25 odd lakhs for an Innova seems outrageous at first but think about it. It gives you comfort, power, convenience and a good feature set. Superb service experience is an added plus point. To top it all off and a very necessary factor since you would sell the car in 2-3 years, old Innova commands a very high resale value and the new one isn't supposed to be any different either. The premium you pay now is easily redeemed while selling the car.

Hope this helps
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 23:27   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't you settle down for something like the Hyundai Creta or Renault Duster? Both will have an excellent ride quality, more FE, both offer AT boxes and have a good GC to take on bad roads. Also you will suffer less depreciation since you plan to keep it for only 2-3 years.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 03:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why don't you settle down for something like the Hyundai Creta or Renault Duster? Both will have an excellent ride quality, more FE, both offer AT boxes and have a good GC to take on bad roads. Also you will suffer less depreciation since you plan to keep it for only 2-3 years.
Excellent suggestion. Makes a lot of sense. Smaller footprint would make it easier to drive around yourself too whenever you do that.

However, depreciation difference wont be much if the OP ends up buying the Innova. I have seen those selling for insane prices! Many owners have just lost less than 30% over 3 years thanks to the constantly rising prices and high demand in used car market.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 07:39   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post

However, depreciation difference wont be much if the OP ends up buying the Innova. I have seen those selling for insane prices! Many owners have just lost less than 30% over 3 years thanks to the constantly rising prices and high demand in used car market.
That is indeed true. But it is slightly changing in NCR with the government taking steps against diesel cars, right or wrong they may be starting with reducing the life of the car to 10 years. Hence the used car prices have come down a bit. Also the Innova would return a lower FE ( I guess a difference of almost 4-5 kmpl). For a 100 km run daily, that can mean considerable saving in your fuel bills.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 08:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

The new Tucson about to be launched is worth a good shout.

It will be luxurious, well equipped, with good quality and within your budget. The resale is anybody' guess at this stage.

Check more details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nd-corner.html
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 09:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

S.U.V Dilemma

The Innova and the Fortuner will have the best resale values. Saw the new Fortuner a lot on the roads of Bangkok last week. It's like roaming around a Toyota test track, every third vehicle there is a Toyota. Looks great had great road presence. Expect premium pricing.
The Tucson will have all the bells and whistles and the right footprint in terms of size. Should it come with the 180 BHP it will have a lot going for it.
Why don't you consider the Santa Fe ? Drove it recently and it does feel plush and has decent drive and great comfort. Some how it looks a much bigger vehicle than the new Fortuner to me. There are some good discounts to be had now. It will probably be around 30 lakhs OTR.The Santa Fe will tick all the boxes that you have mentioned.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 16th October 2016 at 09:07.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 09:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I will only say one thing: Please do not torture yourself and your family by putting them on the back seat of the Fortuner/Endeavour or any other hardcore SUV. These are not the vehicles to be chauffeured in. However much they improve the ride quality, it will never match the one of a soft-road or crossover SUV kind of vehicles like the Creta or Santa Fe. You may choose depending upon your budget and other criterion like image perception etc, but opt for one of these pseudo-SUVs if you intent to be chauffeured.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 10:55   #54
BHPian

I think Duster will be the best option. It has awesome ride quality. And 110 PS will be more than adequate either while you're being driven or while driving.

And it has all the bells and whistles you need. Nothing more, nothing less. Do take it for a spin.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 12:28   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
The comfort that it provides can't be matched by any of the body-on-frame SUVs.
Although you said that you do not mind a petrol car, but with your running, a SUV/MUV with a petrol engine wouldn't be ideal because of poor fuel efficiency due to high weight.
To top it all off and a very necessary factor since you would sell the car in 2-3 years, old Innova commands a very high resale value and the new one isn't supposed to be any different either. The premium you pay now is easily redeemed while selling the car.

Hope this helps
The Innova rides well, despite the fact that it shares it's platform with the Fortuner. The family has a lot of Innovas, moreover it will now the cabbies are also gonna get their hands on the new model, so I'm less convinced. The part about resale attracts me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I don't see the appeal of either of those two cars. The decision to buy a car is a head and heart decision, hence if a car only appeals to the finances, I won't be going for it. The reason to upgrade cars every 2-3 years is because I like to change my drive often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The new Tucson about to be launched is worth a good shout.

It will be luxurious, well equipped, with good quality and within your budget. The resale is anybody' guess at this stage.

Check more details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nd-corner.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The Innova and the Fortuner will have the best resale values. Saw the new Fortuner a lot on the roads of Bangkok last week. It's like roaming around a Toyota test track, every third vehicle there is a Toyota. Looks great had great road presence. Expect premium pricing.
The Tucson will have all the bells and whistles and the right footprint in terms of size. Should it come with the 180 BHP it will have a lot going for it.
Why don't you consider the Santa Fe ? Drove it recently and it does feel plush and has decent drive and great comfort. Some how it looks a much bigger vehicle than the new Fortuner to me. There are some good discounts to be had now. It will probably be around 30 lakhs OTR.The Santa Fe will tick all the boxes that you have mentioned.
I don't like the Tucson, the Santa Fe seems nice but I'm not willing to spend 30 lakhs on a Hyundai also the resale on the Santa Fe will be terrible too.

I've seen a used Fortuner which has done about 30k km. The ride quality is fine and the service history is also comprehensive. Now waiting to see if the seller accepts my offer on the price.
Old 16th October 2016, 13:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you consider waiting for a couple of months and checking out the new Tata Hexa, which reportedly will be launched in January. From all accounts it should be a good vehicle which will tick all the boxes, if you are ok with the Tata brand.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2016-a-58.html (Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016)
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 21:44   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post

Requirements :
  • High resale value
  • Good ride comfort and suspension
  • Low cost of spares
  • Automatic transmission
  • Good refinement levels
  • Good ground clearence
  • Good FE(open to petrol options)
  • Budget 26-27 lakh OTR.
Your best bet will be a 2013 Fortuner AT for approx 18-20lacs.

Another suggestion would be the XUV500 W10 AT
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 11:11   #58
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

Hi Guys,

I'm currently facing a dilemma in my new car purchase.

I drive a Verna Fluidic and an i20. I almost finalised on XUV 500 Automatic for my next car. I can spend up to 25 lacs (XUV W10 Auto is coming at 20.5 lacs).

Almost at the time of booking, I accidentally stumbled upon the new Endeavour and it fell in love with it instantly

But, my family is a little apprehensive after seeing the sheer size of the vehicle in flesh, as this would be my daily car with 50kms of usage daily on average and highway drives of 800kms every weekend. They say that maintaining this as my daily car is not at all practical.

However, I cannot delete that tough, imposing SUV from my mind

Now the real problems for me are -

1. The XUV & it's interiors feel too basic and of poor quality after sitting and driving in the Endeavour which oozes of quality and solidity
2. But, the XUV engine is a gem. Endeavour reviews say - 2.2 engine is not a highway cruiser and lethargic after 120 kmph or so. And 3.2 engine - I cannot satisfy the hunger for fuel of that engine.
3. Practicality - Can I maintain the Endeavour as my primary car? I can change my driving habits a little. But still...
4. Is it worth stretching my budget by a few more lacs and buy the Endeavour (29 lacs) or save a couple of lacs and settle with XUV 500?

Can anyone help me in deciding the right car for me please?
Old 11th December 2016, 13:41   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it worth stretching my budget by a few more lacs and buy the Endeavour (29 lacs)
Beg, borrow or Steal Go for Endeavour. I don't think 2,2 is slow or loses after 120. I can't explain technically but FORD engine will be far better over Mahindra, remember Endeavour is designed for Global markets and FORD has far larger R&D and access to newer technologies. I have seen FORD India plant and Mahindra and difference is night and day.

When I test drove one many months ago, I have asked SA twice if this is indeed smaller one. It's far advanced & much safe vehicle to own and will be a worthy upgrade but decide soon as FORD is also increasing pricing by 3 % from 1st Jan. As of now, they have a low interest or 1,08 lac rebate. You can also try additional 20-30 K discount and a complimentary basic kit.

Quote:
Practicality - Can I maintain the Endeavour as my primary car? I can change my driving habits a little
Oh Yes, once you get used to this truck, you won't look back at sedans. This is due to high seating position, good turning radius ( 11,8 vs 11,2 of XUV) and electric-assisted steering is very light.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th December 2016 at 13:47.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 15:54   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Can anyone help me in deciding the right car for me please?
Don't think so much and get yourself the Endeavour 2.2 Titanium variant.

No trend variant please. Awaiting to go for TD with you on Monday!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks