Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 415 73.58%
Toyota Fortuner 76 13.48%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 34 6.03%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 7 1.24%
Hyundai Santa Fe 7 1.24%
SsangYong Rexton 4 0.71%
Mahindra XUV500 21 3.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 16:35   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
2. But, the XUV engine is a gem. Endeavour reviews say - 2.2 engine is not a highway cruiser and lethargic after 120 kmph or so. And 3.2 engine - I cannot satisfy the hunger for fuel of that engine.
Why on earth would you want to drive a truck in excess of 120 kmph on our roads? There are points that you mention in a review but sometimes these may not matter much in the real world. I honestly and sincerely urge you not drive a vehicle with that high a GC at speeds in excess of 120 kmph.

The 2.2 also will be a pretty thirsty engine specially if driven constantly at 100 kmph+ when compared to the XUV500. So you might want to consider that part too in your calculations as you have mentioned pretty high running in your post.

All that said, the Endeavour is the flavour of the season and if you have the budget then go for it with your eyes closed.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 19:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, I cannot delete that tough, imposing SUV from my mind
That's the problem with the Ford Endeavour- It's simply brilliant.
I think you should buy the Endeavour and change your driving style. The above statement says that you like it very much.

How I wish I could recommend the Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 20:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm currently facing a dilemma in my new car purchase.

Can anyone help me in deciding the right car for me please?

Well i never advise anyone to buy a smaller engine when a bigger pot is available. I think whether its 2L or 3L, Endeavour is the one you should go for. Since you drive the Verna and i20, both the XUV and Endeavour will be a world apart. Its something to drive an SUV for a drive or a highway cruise, buts its completely different owning one. They are much heavier, you can feel the weight of the car when you floor the accelerator and more so when you have to brake. Its a world apart. But i personally believe anyone can get used to a car if they drive enough. Sure you may have to change the way you drive but i would say its worth it. I personally prefer SUV's. But if you drive with a heavy foot, then perhaps reconsider.

But there should be no doubt in your mind that you should go for the Endeavour over the XUV. XUV is a great car, besides a few niggles here and there, its a good VFM car. But endeavour trumps its everywhere. If you can afford the Endeavour, then go for it. And please, go for the 3L. Everytime you floor the car, you'll have a smile plastered across your face. Something you won't quite feel in the 2L. Also, why not look at the Fortuner? Could be a good option.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 23:54   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why on earth would you want to drive a truck in excess of 120 kmph on our roads? I honestly and sincerely urge you not drive a vehicle with that high a GC at speeds in excess of 120 kmph.

The 2.2 also will be a pretty thirsty engine specially if driven constantly at 100 kmph+ when compared to the XUV500. So you might want to consider that part too in your calculations as you have mentioned pretty high running in your post.

All that said, the Endeavour is the flavour of the season and if you have the budget then go for it with your eyes closed.
Haha. It's not that I want to drive that truck above 120kmph. It's just that I travel a lot on expressways where 120kmph speed limits are legal and it can be driven on some straight stretches easily (Hyderabad ORR). I shouldn't find my SUV running out of breath when I want to overtake a vehicle in my way after spending 30 big ones.

Fuel efficiency wise - The owners are quoting FE which is hardly 1km less than XUV. SO I guess that's not a big issue.

Sorting out all the complicated finances to fill the budget. Hope I get the big guy for this year Else, our dear cheetah (XUV) would always be ready to occupy my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
That's the problem with the Ford Endeavour- It's simply brilliant.
I think you should buy the Endeavour and change your driving style. The above statement says that you like it very much.

How I wish I could recommend the Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT.
Even I considered the Innova Crysta initially. But, the problem is - I will look like a driver in that car for sure. The perception in the people's minds including my own family is that - Innova is only for the chauffer driven people or cabs. Hence, I kept that option aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Well i never advise anyone to buy a smaller engine when a bigger pot is available. I think whether its 2L or 3L, Endeavour is the one you should go for. Since you drive the Verna and i20, both the XUV and Endeavour will be a world apart.I personally prefer SUV's. But if you drive with a heavy foot, then perhaps reconsider.

But there should be no doubt in your mind that you should go for the Endeavour over the XUV. XUV is a great car, besides a few niggles here and there, its a good VFM car. But endeavour trumps its everywhere. If you can afford the Endeavour, then go for it. And please, go for the 3L. Everytime you floor the car, you'll have a smile plastered across your face. Something you won't quite feel in the 2L. Also, why not look at the Fortuner? Could be a good option.
Hi, Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions and feedbacks. For the Fortuner - the problem is that - my family loves only the beige interiors. Somehow absent in the current Fortuner. In fact, I love the exterior looks of the new Fortuner more than the endeavour. But, the interiors of the endeavour have stolen my heart (where I spend most of my time).

Apart from this - I got the feedback that the 3.2 Endeavour is returning around 6km per litre, which I cannot accommodate for sure at any cost as my monthly running would be around 4000-5000km. I heard that the 2.2 Endeavour is returning 9-10 in city and 12-13 on highway which I can adjust. but, 6 in city and 9 on highway - I should rob a bank to maintain this beast every year.
Old 12th December 2016, 09:16   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but, 6 in city and 9 on highway
Why do you believe in hearsay, search here in the official review and check feedback from real owners or better go for an extended drive and check yourself.

Since you have a budget of XUV, stretching this to 3,2 may get tricky but given the way FORD has priced their products there is not much difference so you should think more about running costs then initial purchase. Drive back to back 2,2 and 3,2 - on highways and make your own observations, don't go by others.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 09:53   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to agree with everything that has been said here. I test drove the 3.2 and then the 2.2 immediately afterwards. There is no comparison, it has to be the 3.2. That engine feels appreciably more responsive, powerful, smoother and I dare say even quieter at city speeds. And of course, more of all that once the road opens up and speed increases. The driving experience of the 3.2 was oh yeah!!, while the 2.2 was more like ummm meh... For the 3L price difference between the Trend models of the two, it is a no brainer. 4x4 is added bonus.

And honestly, for whatever the reduced FE is worth, it is nothing in front of the 60-70k EMI you will anyway be paying. Also, Endeavour/Ranger is a truly global workhorse product that was won rave reviews everywhere and has non been 'Indianized' in any way. I am of the opinion that it will be very reliable and will offer peace of mind in the long run.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 10:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:

Apart from this - I got the feedback that the 3.2 Endeavour is returning around 6km per litre, which I cannot accommodate for sure at any cost as my monthly running would be around 4000-5000km. I heard that the 2.2 Endeavour is returning 8.5-9.5 in city and 12-13 on highway which I can adjust. but, 6 in city and 9 on highway - I should rob a bank to maintain this beast every year.
Let me clarify. (this is the similar feedback I got from folks about Pajero SFX, Pajero sport and Fortuner 4x4 AT) The mileage that you get in the city for a 3.2 is in the range of 9.0-10.0kmpl (Similar to scorpio, safari,xuv). This is in the traffic where its always stop and go plus idling for most of the time that obviously wastes fuel (for any car in fact). On the highway if you drive at speeds of 80-100 it will definitely give you 11-12kmpl or more for sure (DTE showed 13.5 kmpl - please check screenshot on the Ford endeavour review thread) But if you floor the accelerator and try to go at speeds higher than 100kmph then the efficiency drops to 8-9 (depending on the speeds and rpm. This is not a Ford specific problem and affects all types of cars of this size.

The biggest problem is that the car is throttle happy, most of the drivers, technicians, valet drivers love flooring the throttle to feel the punch and wheel spin (personally experienced this in front of my eyes ) and this definitely drops the mileage.

The DTE is something i will take with a pinch of salt because of the way it works. But why am i confident ? One of my trip to Bangalore and i never crossed 80kmph on the highway, the fuel tank was still above the quarter point after reaching the destination inside the city which makes it clear that the car is giving the right mileage.

However, i'd still suggest that you personally check this once. You can ask the dealership and try with let's say 10 litres of fuel to check and decide accordingly. The 3.2 Titanium is a great car and the price at which it was launched made it too irresistible. For someone who wanted an Audi/Merc SUV this was like manna from heaven. It still misses some features compared to the big Germans but almost there. Don't believe hearsay, we live in a country where we hear people claiming 18kmpl on Innovas, 25kmpl on the Maruti swift diesel.

But if you are not worried about the additional features/power that the 3.2 offers, then you should go for the 2.2 which is a frugal engine but gives you the necessary power and better efficiency than the 3.2kmpl.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 12th December 2016 at 10:30.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2016, 11:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Why do you believe in hearsay, search here in the official review and check feedback from real owners or better go for an extended drive and check yourself.
There is an ownership review in our forum where the owner claimed that 5.5-6kmpl in city driving. That was the reason I was worried a little. Nevertheless, as you have advised, I will take an extended drive once and check myself.

Quote:
Since you have a budget of XUV, stretching this to 3,2 may get tricky
Yes indeed it is
Quote:
Drive back to back 2,2 and 3,2 - on highways and make your own observations, don't go by others.
Yes, I will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The driving experience of the 3.2 was oh yeah!!, while the 2.2 was more like ummm meh...

And honestly, for whatever the reduced FE is worth, it is nothing in front of the 60-70k EMI you will anyway be paying. Also, Endeavour/Ranger is a truly global workhorse product that was won rave reviews everywhere and has non been 'Indianized' in any way. I am of the opinion that it will be very reliable and will offer peace of mind in the long run.
Ahh man!! Looks like I have to rework my finances to get a 3.2 4x4 AT after seeing all of your responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
The mileage that you get in the city for a 3.2 is in the range of 9.0-10.0kmpl. On the highway if you drive at speeds of 80-100 it will definitely give you 11-12kmpl or more for sure (DTE showed 13.5 kmpl - please check screenshot on the Ford endeavour review thread)
If that is the case, I don't have anything to worry at all with 3.2.
Quote:
However, i'd still suggest that you personally check this once. You can ask the dealership and try with let's say 10 litres of fuel to check and decide accordingly
Thanks for that suggestion. Will check it out once that way.

Quote:
Don't believe hearsay, we live in a country where we hear people claiming 18kmpl on Innovas, 25kmpl on the Maruti swift diesel
LOL. I agree.

Quote:
But if you are not worried about the additional features/power that the 3.2 offers, then you should go for the 2.2 which is a frugal engine but gives you the necessary power and better efficiency than the 3.2.
All the inputs from you guys are making me seriously consider the 3.2 Engine. Will check the FE of both in detail and make a decision.

Finally, thank you very much to all of you guys for giving instant and valuable advices. This forum means a lot to me - and you guys rock

Last edited by madhav14 : 12th December 2016 at 11:14.
Old 12th December 2016, 11:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
There is an ownership review in our forum where the owner claimed that 5.5-6kmpl in city driving. That was the reason I was worried a little. Nevertheless, as you have advised, I will take an extended drive once and check myself.
Ah, i too remember seeing this figure on the DTE. This was just after taking the car from the showroom, out of curiosity i checked the DTE and it was showing 4.5 or 5kmpl (obviously not impressive and i can't afford that). The car had some 65-70kms on the ODO then. So i set that view on the screen on and kept driving. Within few minutes i could see it hovering between 6, 6.5 and then dropping back. I was told by the technician that mileage will improve once the car crosses 2000 km mark (or 4500kms - i am sorry i don't remember). And it did start to show better figures after first service ( i think i reported this in the Endeavour thread but not able to find).
Old 13th December 2016, 21:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

How I wish they'd launch a 3.2 lit / MT combo. Fortuner has it then why not Endeavour?!
Old 10th January 2017, 12:04   #71
BHPian

A colleague of mine is looking at getting a new 4X4 SUV and spending about 30 lakhs (on-road, delhi). Priorities includes: (i) Long distance drives (ii) 7 seater (primary use 4 adults & 2 kids) (iii) Should be fun to drive (iv) Reasonable ease & cost of servicing (fuel efficiency is not a big concern)

While the forum thinks highly of the new ford endeavor, the new fortuner has definitely upped the game.

The current choice is between fortuner, endeavor, montero/pajero & santa fe. What is the recommendation based on current models. Any other option that should be considered?

Last edited by funkyp : 10th January 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Modifying to give more clarity on requirement
Old 10th January 2017, 12:15   #72
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
A colleague of mine is looking to at getting a new 4X4 SUV and spending about 30 lakhs (on-road, delhi). Priorities includes: (i) Long distance drives (ii) 7 seater (iii) Should be fun to drive (iv) Reasonable ease & cost of servicing (fuel efficiency is not a big concern)

While the forum thinks highly of the new ford endeavor, the new fortuner has definitely upped the game.

The current choice is between fortuner, endeavor, montero/pajero & santa fe. What is the recommendation based on current models. Any other option that should be considered?
Any of these is not an ideal 7-seater long distance tourer. The last row is cramped for adult occupants. For 4 adults and 2 kids plus luggage, these cars are perfect.

For 7 occupants, you can consider the slightly more spacious Innova Crysta or the upcoming Hexa.

Amongst the options you have shortlisted, Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour definitely sits on top of the pile. The Pajero Sports is due for a model change and the Santa Fe is getting old now. For your needs, I would recommend the Endeavour 3.2 AT over the Fortuner given my limited experience of driving and travelling in both these cars.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 12:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

For me, any day, it is Fortuner. The Qualis that I own has spoiled my brain to do any analysis or develop logic to purchase any other Non Toyota SUV.

They say, once a Toyotian, always a Toyotian. I have driven all the four SUVs for test drive. Somehow, (No data to back this up), the comfort feeling that my heart gets when I drive Fortuner never comes when I drive any other Non Toyota vehicles.

So, I voted for Fortuner. Of-course, this is a decision made by Heart.
Old 10th January 2017, 17:02   #74
BHPian

May be this poll needs to be reset with the launch of the new Fortuner. The thread started when the new Fortuner was not launched.
Old 18th January 2017, 23:21   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
A colleague of mine is looking at getting a new 4X4 SUV and spending about 30 lakhs (on-road, delhi). Priorities includes: (i) Long distance drives (ii) 7 seater (primary use 4 adults & 2 kids) (iii) Should be fun to drive (iv) Reasonable ease & cost of servicing (fuel efficiency is not a big concern)

I'm also in the same boat. If you're looking at Trend that costs less than 29 on road then it's a simple decision to make. Just go with Ford. Because Fortuner cost in chennai 34 on road onwards. You need to convince yourself on that five lakhs plus difference. But if you look at titanium versions in Ford then I suggest you to go ahead with Fortuner. The difference is minimal and Fortuner has 6/7 airbags for all models, nice interior, Toyotas impeccable reliability n resale value. Hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks