Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Ford Endeavour 415 73.58%
Toyota Fortuner 76 13.48%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 34 6.03%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 7 1.24%
Hyundai Santa Fe 7 1.24%
SsangYong Rexton 4 0.71%
Mahindra XUV500 21 3.72%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2017, 10:02   #76
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Haha. It's not that I want to drive that truck above 120kmph. It's just that I travel a lot on expressways where 120kmph speed limits are legal and it can be driven on some straight stretches easily (Hyderabad ORR). I shouldn't find my SUV running out of breath when I want to overtake a vehicle in my way after spending 30 big ones.
i am driving the 3.2 and the worst i got is 8.6 with best at 10.5 in mixed driving conditions. The Endy 3.2 is a joy to own

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th May 2017 at 08:10. Reason: Please dont quote a big post for one line reply
Old 31st March 2017, 00:09   #77
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour vs the competition

Voted for Endeavour which offers the best in class features like power tailgate, electric 3rd row seat, sunroof quite a few to mention from long list.

The Trailblazer's engine and specs looks quite impressive but haven't seen one on road.

Did any of our Team Bhp member have Trailblazer?

I am looking for 4x2 AT SUV under 30L on road price range. Since Trend Endy is not available anymore in Delhi so was checking out Trailblazer.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 21:00   #78
BHPian

My 36 Lac rupees SUV dilemma

Guys, I am confused.

I am looking for a replacement for my 2010 Toyota Fortuner. (1.08k kms). I sat in the new Fortuner and didn't like what I saw. I mean I bought my old Fortuner for around 21L on road in Delhi. And the new Fortuner's interiors are a whole generation different than my current one. But it simply doesn't feel like the 36 lacs being asked for it. I even felt like the middle row had less headroom and the slim seats are not the same as my old Fortuner's.

I haven't driven the new Endeavour yet. I have asked for it but somehow I haven't been able to get time to trst drive it . I have been in one and really liked it. The 3.2 Titanium version.

However, later I met my cousin today, who had booked the new Fortuner after selling his XUV. He has cancelled the booking and got an Audi Q7, 2014 done 37.5k kms for just 34.5L.

No i am not really into used cars but it has got me thinking about getting the best for my money.

Have Need suggestions. I am still very happy with my Fortuner. Its just that its getting a bit long in the tooth and the 10 year rule on banning diesel cars still is hanging.

Running is in around the NH1, Delhi to Punjab, Rough roads daily. And I definitely need better ride than my current Fortuner.
The sideways sway movement on poor roads is really bad.

Need help with inputs. I already have a an 2014 Innova and a Mercedes GL as well.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 21:39   #79
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 36 Lac rupees SUV dilemma

Quote:
I already have a an 2014 Innova and a Mercedes GL as well
Have you checked new Endeavour? If not then must give a try. FORD is serious about India and this is a global product. Resale prices of Germans is not very good especially Audi but since you already have GL why will you like to consider something similar that too Old? If you had higher budget X5 could have been a better upgrade but at this budget, I will suggest you stick with either Fortuner or Endeavour given your intended usage. If you are not much concerned with Image and are being chauffeured try new Innova, it has same Gearbox and Engine as new Fortuner and will be far more comfortable than Fortuner or Endeavour and comparatively VFM. Postpone your decision to July either way as prices will surely get reduced.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 21:45   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Need help with inputs. I already have a an 2014 Innova and a Mercedes GL as well.
What your cousin has done is extremely smart and well thought out. If you are OK with a pre-owned vehicle, at 36 lac INR you have great options to choose from.

For starters, I'd recommend you look at the X5 and the Disco Sport. Both are great handlers on broken roads and will give you the pleasure that the GL and the Innova wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Postpone your decision to July either way as prices will surely get reduced.
This is also a smart option. However, I would not recommend the new Endy since you already have a couple of large vehicles at home and the Endy just wont give you the kind of feel you are looking for.

@Turbanator: Have sent you a PM separately for a different question.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 21:54   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'd recommend you look at the X5 and the Disco Sport.
The problem is newer Generation X5 will be expensive and hard to find and most of older generation though good would have done high mileage and without warranty, remember there was a vacuum for many years as BMW Stopped selling CBU X-5 around 2011/12. Anything from Landrover and that too old - needs a lot of good luck.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:47   #82
BHPian

Thank you guys!

As I said, I am not into pre owned cars and never have bought one. Have seriously considered one some time back when I was was very interested in a 2007 Landcruiser.

And I did see a current generation x5 for about 42L. The Q7 never appealed to me as I always found it to be too big on the outside and too small inside.

However, do you think the prices would go down in July (if the proposed GST, rolls out).

Now, I think I will test drive an Endeavour again.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:41   #83
BHPian

My 36 Lac rupees SUV dilemma

Besides, I don't think the Germans including my Merc are as Tough over the rough stuff as either the Fortuner or the Ford.

I mean I can drive away the Toyota nonchalantly over any surface at decent speeds and still not worried about something breaking or not working later.

Example : The GL's tires are the worse (Dunlops). I get a flat or a notification from the car over low tire pressure almost every week. Not a great feeling to have.

I have been owning Toyota vehicles consistently since 2002 (qualis) and my last Ford was the Ikon 1.6 and never looked at Ford again. The last Endeavour's ride was poor over broken patches is an understatement.

I can wait till the end of July for the GST rollout, if it indeed reduces prices .

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 22nd May 2017 at 09:42.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:42   #84
BANNED

Quote:
However, do you think the prices would go down in July (if the proposed GST, rolls out).
Prices should go down in July, however, a lot of premium OEMs have last year's brand new stock with them and you could try to haggle out a deal with the, say Q3/X1/GLA etc since you dont want to buy a pre owned vehicle.

These would be handy for you, unless you need 7 seats all over again.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:55   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Prices should go down in July, however, a lot of premium OEMs have last year's brand new stock with them and you could try to haggle out a deal with the, say Q3/X1/GLA etc since you dont want to buy a pre owned vehicle.

These would be handy for you, unless you need 7 seats all over again.

Sold the 2013 Q3 last month. Its a good car but too small.
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:55   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Besides, I don't think the Germans including my Merc are as Tough over the rough stuff as either the Fortuner or the Ford.

I mean I can drive away the Toyota nonchalantly over any surface at decent speeds and still not worried about something breaking or not working later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
But would these be as abuse friendly as say, the Fortuner/MU-X/Pajero Sports/Endeavour, I don't think so. OP's requirement points to a body on frame SUV, else the Santa FE would have been a good cross over as well or the Tuscon.

And how much prices are expected to go down for a SUV having 30L ex-showroom?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:10   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
And how much prices are expected to go down for a SUV having 30L ex-showroom?
Speculations are that the prices should go down by at least 1.5-1.8 lac INR.
Old 6th May 2018, 20:36   #88
BANNED

Toyota Vs Ford: Bangalore:Shopping & Test Drive Experience

A couple of months ago, a friend caught up with me and said that he wanted to buy an AT SUV for himself. After discussing the basics (requirement, budget, AWD/4WD/2WD etc), the 2 choices were the Fortuner & the Endeavour, both in their AT 4WD versions.

My friend works for the US shift and has been having 6 day weeks (yeah, life is unfair to some of us..at times..!!!), and hence the responsibility of of arranging a TD on a Sunday fell upon me.

Phew, the burden of being a good friend..!!

I decided to split this operation into three sections; Mystery shopping, Online enquiry & Test Drive experience.

We would discuss the discounts and financing after these stages had been cleared.

I had some free time on the Sunday after that and decided to kick start the mystery shopping.

Mystery Shopping:

Both the dealerships have multiple branches, and I drove to their branches on Hosur Road around 1730hrs, wanting to experience their late Sunday service.
They are separated by each other by around 300 metres and hence, I was confident of visting both of them before they close.

Here is the summary of both the showrooms: -

Nandi Toyota:

The showroom had turned its lights off and I was pretty sure of not being able to meet anyone, but as soon as I asked the security guard if the showroom was closed, a gentleman who was signing out for the day presented himself to me and offered to show me the Fortuner.

It felt really nice.

As we walked towards the display area, he courteously informed me that he would not be able to offer me water or any other refreshments since everyone else had left for the day. Pleased.

After he showed me the vehicle, he took my contact details and asked me a convenient date for a test drive. I asked him to come next Sunday in the morning.

JSP Ford:

This used to be called Lathangi Ford earlier and the group has now shut down and owe the banks a lot of money too. JSP is apparently a large Honda two wheeler dealer in AP and this is their first foray into the 4 wheeler segment.

Anyway, I reached the brightly lit up showroom and while there was no security guard, what slightly surprised me was the absence of anyone at the reception desk.

I spent a good 15 minutes opening and closing the doors of Endy, sitting in it, opened the hood as well, and yet, nobody walked up. It is then that I could see one staff member keenly watching TV in the customer lounge.

I left the place and told my friend of the experience. It looked like Toyota had won the first round.

Online Enquiry:

Toyota:
Put in my details on their website and got a call the same day. Told them that I needed a test drive and was asked for a date. Gave it and was then asked to choose a dealer. Chose Nandi and was informed that someone from there would give me call.

Nothing happened for 15 days. I didnt follow up since I had informed the sales rep already and was expecting a drive from him anyway.

Ford:
Put in my details on their website and got a call in an hour. Told them that I needed a test drive and was asked for a date. Gave it and was then asked to choose a dealer. Chose JSP and was informed that someone from there would give me call.

Got a call the same evening from someone who sounded mature and he took down my address and very professionally assured me that someone would come down on Sunday.

Toyota lost this round, and some more, miserably. Will tell you.

Test Drive Experience:

Toyota:

The vehicle turned up 2 hours late.

There was hardly any fuel in it. When I asked the rep, he said,"You drive Sir, don't worry." When I told him that the range says 0km, he said "Then let us take a short drive Sir, it will tough if it stops without fuel."

Once on the move, he began to explain the vehicle to me and this statement takes the cake. He said "The Fortuner is the only SUV in India to be Sigma 4 certified."

I controlled my laughter and asked him what is Sigma 4 and he replied "Sir, it is an institute like ISO, which certifies SUVs."

I asked him if he knew some offroad track/area where I could take it to check how it performs and he didn't.

I was anyway careful of not going too far(we drove for 3-4km) since there was barely any fuel, and came back. He promised to get the vehicle the next Sunday with sufficient fuel.

Needless to say, no feedback form was provided.

Hasn't happened for the past 1 month. Zero followups as well.

Thursday before last, I received a call from Toyota about my enquiry and gave them dealer feedback and told them that I am still waiting for the promised test drive with fuel. Someone who identified himself as the GM of Nandi Toyota called me and asked me the name of the sales rep and I gave it to him.

In 30 minutes, someone claiming to be a team leader called me and asked me for a convenient date again, I have him today's date, nothing has happened yet.

Ford:

The vehicle came home 10 mins before time.

The vehicle had more than half a tank of fuel. The rep explained the features as and when I used them. He was also smart enough to focus on the steering, ride, insulation & Sync. When I asked him about the FE, he admitted that the Fortuner is the better vehicle in that dept by 15%.

What impressed me further was he had charted a detailed test drive route which included city, highway and a good 10ish km of offroad tracks which had articulation patches and gravel tracks.

After a 1.5 hour test drive, I was given a feedback form and asked a follow up appointment.

Followups were reasonably good, not pushy, but not on the time requested.

This round: - Toyota- Minus 10, Ford - Plus 10.

Needless to say, my friend has booked the Endeavour.

Last edited by n.devdath : 6th May 2018 at 20:38.
n.devdath is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 20:50   #89
BHPian

Re: Toyota Vs Ford: Bangalore:Shopping & Test Drive Experience

Thank you for sharing your experience, Devdath Sir. And also, congrats to your friend on the Endeavour.

Personally, I have had a great experience with both, Nandi Toyota and JSP Ford.

While test driving the Corolla Altis, I had an excellent experience with Nandi Toyota. The SA even came home in an Altis and took us to the yard, got us back to the showroom, and dropped us back home in an Etios. Had a good experience while (almost) finalising an Innova quite a few years back. The Showroom staff were very courteous and had test drive vehicles of almost every model available. We personally knew 2 SA’s from Nandi Toyota (due to the Innova and Altis test drive) and knowing them made the showroom experience even better.

On the other hand, JSP Ford was very good too. Recently visited JSP Ford for a test drive of the Freestyle and had a reasonably good experience. When you first enter the showroom, there is a slight delay till when an SA attends you (SA Lag? ). But after that, the experience was a breeze. One major difference is that, staff at JSP Ford aren’t as informed about their cars/finance as much as the staff at Nandi Toyota. The staff at JSP Ford are very courteous and patiently listen to all queries - same with Nandi Toyota.

While Nandi Toyota SA’s kept talking about their product as the best in the segment, Ford was accepting and agreed that there are other vehicles in the segment that have the potential to be better than their product.

Regards
Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 6th May 2018 at 21:02.
Prathiiik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 07:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Vs Ford: Bangalore:Shopping & Test Drive Experience

While I sympathize with you (I am a bit like that myself), relying on the pre-sales experience to choose a 30 l car is not the smartest move. At least in my opinion.

The pre-sales experience lasts 15 -20 days but you have to (or your friend has to) live with the car for about 5-7 years. The car is permanent; the dealer is not.

I am surprised that you have not talked at all about the relative technical or perceived merits of either car other that fuel efficiency. You should probably have taken the fortuner on the same route charted by the Endy sales person.

I too tend to get swayed by salesmanship and hence make it a point to have my wife along during the car buying process. She tends to focus on the important stuff.

I also prepare a checklist of things i want in that type of car in general and also specific things i want to check in that model / variant based on the various reviews and other research. I also include an outside dark horse choice for comparison and for perspective.

Then I buy the car i wanted to in the first place!
sridhu is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks