Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Maruti Vitara Brezza 237 30.54%
Ford EcoSport 466 60.05%
Mahindra TUV300 73 9.41%
Voters: 776. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 11:17   #106
BHPian

Re: Poll: Maruti Vitara Brezza vs Ford EcoSport vs Mahindra TUV300

I have gone for TUV T8 AMT rather then ecosport (breeza was not yet available in dec 2015/jan2016)
There were 2 major reasons:

1. cost - top end ecosport was 12L+ whereas tuv is around 11L.
Always wanted to go for top end automatic/amt version.

2. Space - i dont thing 3 people can sit comfortably in ecosports backseat.
Then in case of tuv there is option of jump seats which I personally dislike but still its available to get out of few "relatives ko drop/pick karo" scenario.

3.Tuv 3 Potter engine:
The 3 potters 100km/hr (comparatively lower ) cruising speed is more than enough for me. Thats the max speed which i can drive at. so although ecosport beats tuv in this section, it didnt really make a difference to me.

i didnt consider ofroad and other driving factors.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:22   #107
BHPian

My vote is for Maruti Brezza

I would buy a car mainly based on the the promise of a good ownership experience. I have experience in owning a maruti in 3 states. There was no much difference in the experience. It was always very good.

If a Maruti is just above average, thats good enough reason to buy it. When combined with a hassle free ownership experience, it is an excellent proposition.

I dont care much about the looks of a car.

If I am in the market for a compact SUV, i will not even visit a Mahindra Showroom.

I reached this state of mind after owning a Mahindra for 4 years and a Tata for 6 years...

Last edited by manojas : 21st April 2016 at 11:24. Reason: Added more info
manojas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 16:53   #108
BHPian

My vote goes to the Ecosport purely based on that 1.5L diesel engine, which has immensely better driveability than the 1.3L in the Vitara Brezza, as well as the 3-pot in the TUV300. Build quality and interiors are also arguably better in the Ecosport compared with the other 2 vehicles.
Old 21st April 2016, 17:17   #109
BHPian

Having voted already in favour of Ecosport, test drove Brezza today to check if any reconsideration is due. On build quality, Ecosport wins hands down. On engine, the lag in multijet is higher than TDCi, and was pronounced across the gear range. Ecosport thus comes out better on tractability.

Also felt that steering response of Ecosport is superior too.

Enough to retain my views in favour of Ecosport.
Old 21st April 2016, 17:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Sorry if it offends anyone and I am not against it but Viatara Breeze and the Ecosport are just glorified hatchbacks. And I say that not for any "rugged look and feel" but because their interior space and handling is very hatch like.
TUV on the other hand is an actual compact-SUV. Tons of seating space, good driving position and the fantastic low end torque. It does miss out performance vise at higher speeds.
Do take test drives of all three before forming an opinion. I was really pleasantly surprised by the TUV.
Does handling of a hatchback make it a 'Non Suv' ? 200 mm ground clearance is very much 'SUV'.

Compact SUV with the width of a truck ? Fantastic low end torque, let's look at the power to weight ratios shall we ?

PS/Ton

TUV - 54
Vitara - 76
Ecosport - 80

Let's look at the Torque to Weight Ratio too: Nm/Ton

TUV - 145
Vitara - 169
Ecosport - 164

Mileage ? I am sure there is absolutely no comparison.

Looks? No comparison again. Ecosport and Vitara are FAR ahead in this department too. Yes, looks are subjective but the sales figures agree with me though.

Service wise too, Maruti is FAR ahead of either of these two.

The Vitara and Eco Sport can pretty much take anything you throw at them, heck my Swift could do the entire Ladakh Leh Trip with absolutely no problems. It came back at 60 thousand km on the odo, right now its 1 lakh 21 thousand on the odo. All this can go here and can go there in a ladder on frame SUV is too over rated. Anything can go almost anywhere as long as you the courage to take it.

How many of us will ever take their TUV's or even their Eco Sport or Vitara to cross rivers and live a nomad life ? Never.
As long as it can negotiate the roads in the city, perform flawlessly on the highway, who cares ladder on frame or window on wheels ?

Last edited by humyum : 21st April 2016 at 17:56.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Does handling of a hatchback make it a 'Non Suv' ? 200 mm ground clearance is very much 'SUV'.

Compact SUV with the width of a truck ? Fantastic low end torque, let's look at the power to weight ratios shall we ?

PS/Ton

TUV - 54
Vitara - 76
Ecosport - 80

TUV - 145
Vitara - 169
Ecosport - 164

Looks? No comparison again. Ecosport and Vitara are FAR ahead in this department too. Yes, looks are subjective but the sales figures agree with me though.

Service wise too, Maruti is FAR ahead of either of these two.

The Vitara and Eco Sport can pretty much take anything you throw at them, heck my Swift could do the entire Ladakh Leh Trip with absolutely no problems. It came back at 60 thousand km on the odo, right now its 1 lakh 21 thousand on the odo. All this can go here and can go there in a ladder on frame SUV is too over rated. Anything can go almost anywhere as long as you the courage to take it.

How many of us will ever take their TUV's or even their Eco Sport or Vitara to cross rivers and live a nomad life ? Never.
As long as it can negotiate the roads in the city, perform flawlessly on the highway, who cares ladder on frame or window on wheels ?
Please reread my post - I am not debating here which car is better. Neither am I saying about ladder on frame or monocoque. I used to own a Swift and am fully aware how fantastic a car it is.
And as a matter of fact, I have seen locals driving very old Bajaj geared scooters in the interiors of Ladhak but that does not make the Chetak a compact-adventure motorcycle does it?

Do a simple test: Drive a Swift, followed by EcoSport and TUV. Now drive a Scorpio followed by EcoSport and TUV. No one is debating that Swift is a hatchback and Scorpio is a SUV. It would not be wrong to classify the Ecosport as a bigger hatchback and TUV as smaller SUV.
The only thing going for Ecosport as an "SUV" is the ground clearance - so is it ok to classify Ecosport as SUV just because it has good ground clearance?

Quote:

PS/Ton

TUV - 54
Vitara - 76
Ecosport - 80

TUV - 145
Vitara - 169
Ecosport - 164

The power and torque figures are the "Peak" ratings and just give a very general idea of the engine performance. Kindly check the difference with "Low end" torque. Take test drive of 320 Nm SCross in city traffic and 230 Nm TUV to feel the difference.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Please reread my post - I am not debating here which car is better. Neither am I saying about ladder on frame or monocoque. I used to own a Swift and am fully aware how fantastic a car it is.
And as a matter of fact, I have seen locals driving very old Bajaj geared scooters in the interiors of Ladhak but that does not make the Chetak a compact-adventure motorcycle does it?

Do a simple test: Drive a Swift, followed by EcoSport and TUV. Now drive a Scorpio followed by EcoSport and TUV. No one is debating that Swift is a hatchback and Scorpio is a SUV. It would not be wrong to classify the Ecosport as a bigger hatchback and TUV as smaller SUV.
The only thing going for Ecosport as an "SUV" is the ground clearance - so is it ok to classify Ecosport as SUV just because it has good ground clearance?

The power and torque figures are the "Peak" ratings and just give a very general idea of the engine performance. Kindly check the difference with "Low end" torque. Take test drive of 320 Nm SCross in city traffic and 230 Nm TUV to feel the difference.
Well how about drive a Yeti/CRV followed by Ecosport/Brezza and then TUV?
I think we are again getting to the discussion of the definition of SUV. As far as I know there is no Text Book definition for SUV. Some prefer car like Monocoque SUV and others like Old school Ladder on Frame SUV. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Whether a car is compact SUV or not, is decided by the Market. Everyone has their own right to decide what is SUV for them and what is not, but that cannot negate what Market perceives.
For now there are 3 compact SUV's(May be 4) which we are discussing and I think we should discuss here on which is a better product and not what is a SUV.
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

I think all of the points put up by members have their +ve's & -ve's .

Suffice to say the poll says it all in no uncertain terms.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2016, 20:52   #114
BHPian

I'd voted for Ford Ecosport, my dad took delivery of it early this month and I have driven 300of the 1200kms it has done till now. The solid build of ecosport is enough to beat it's competitors in this segment. It has carved a niche for itself.
Old 23rd April 2016, 10:42   #115

Quote:

Sir, this is india and not the autobahn no one needs cruise control in india! The actual experience of a car is no where compared to specs on paper. You are right that we will not be taking our compact SUVs into the wild. But specifically for our conditions, the wild would be much safer than the cites
The humongous potholes, and hugely erratic autos and bikers roam in these forests. Here at a signal the responses of the TUV ecosport and brezza can be tested by who gets of the mark fastest. As the TUV gets atleast 180-185 nm torque as low as 1100 rpm, it has supreme tractability compared to the brezza which suffers extreme low end turbo lag. The TUV can be moved from the 3rd gear even! And sir i salute anyone who can go over 90 any where in todays cities. This nullifies the other 2 car's performance in the 'city'. And which auto or bike would dare come before a car the size of a truck? And surprisingly this truck is even easy to park due it being sub-4metre. These are the very reasons why I voted for the TUV, I think these are the main problems in a city that forces a previous hatchback owner to go for an SUV, and design well that IS subjective
SDtorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that most of us don't take our cars to cross rivers or mountains, but when such opportunity comes unexpectedly why should be back off. In one of my recent trips to Shivthar Ghal, I got one such opportunity. When I was descending the Varandha Ghat, after covering almost 80% of the descend, on the right hand side we came across on arch pointing way to Shivthar Ghal, just 6 kms from there, but with warning only small vehicles allowed. We stopped there for a moment and recollected the words of the hotel owner where we had breakfast in the morning. He had clearly instructed not to take that road as it was not motorable and take the detour from Barasgaon, which was 25 kms extra. This short cut had very sharp turns and steep slopes, descending in the valley. Momentarily I thought what the heck if I cannot drive the tank through that road. Hence we diverted the TUV through the Mazheri-Parmachi-Sunebhau route. Initial kilometer and a half was driveable, but then sharp descends started and the road got from bad to worse. There were loose boulders on sharp hair pin bends and the carriage way was such that only one car can go, there was no chance another one coming from opposite side can cross it. All the TUV occupants were cursing me for taking this route, but I was progressing slowly but steadily. I couldn't dare to put the car in second gear, it was only first gear, right foot on brake and the left on clutch. There was one sharp right hander, where the TUV almost tilted. I had a heart in mouth situation, stopped there for a moment, checked that the car is not loosing its poise and balance, juggled between clutch and brake and somehow crossed it. This jugglery continued for almost 4 kms. Finally we could spot some habitat and all were relieved after finally reaching the destination. We were 8 occupants in the car. Had it been any other car, I would not have dared to do that. I could click only few pics, which in no way are representative of the torture track that we were on.

Vertical shot to cover the whole cliff
Poll: Maruti Vitara Brezza vs Ford EcoSport vs Mahindra TUV300-32vertical-shot-cover-whole-cliff.jpg

The first left hander hair pin bend
Poll: Maruti Vitara Brezza vs Ford EcoSport vs Mahindra TUV300-33the-first-left-hander-hair-pin-bend.jpg

One of the few sign posts with mountains and valley in backdrop
Poll: Maruti Vitara Brezza vs Ford EcoSport vs Mahindra TUV300-34one-few-sign-posts-mountains-valley-backdrop.jpg

Road vanishing in the jungle, notice the rock patch at the top

Poll: Maruti Vitara Brezza vs Ford EcoSport vs Mahindra TUV300-35road-vanishing-jungle-notice-rock-patch-top.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 23rd April 2016 at 14:47.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:02   #117
BHPian

Having owned the Ecosport for the last two years, my vote goes for the Ford Ecosport.It drives well, is solidly built, reasonably specced and easy on the pocket too as far as maintenance is concerned. Maruti Brezza is an average product from a well respected company but the 1.3 liter engine should be done away as it is too long in the tooth now. Something in the lines of 1.5 and upgradation of the interiors would help the Brezza. Frankly, TUV300 is out of contention as it is too heavy and basic to be compared here.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:44   #118

i voted for brezza. i would vote for ecosport, when its front two grill is taken out and merged into a single one. Personally i dont like the egg like front profile of ecosport.
Old 28th April 2016, 15:13   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I do care to be honest.

There are many such situation's when one can, and many of us do take our cars to such terrains. It's for those kinda people the TUV caters to. I tried to take our i20 to such roads and was let down by the way it behaved. At the same time , a properly battered bolero took the same terrain with ease.

I am not telling everyone should care. But for those who do want to try out a little adventure, the TUV should be the pick

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:36   #120
BHPian

A very difficult choice. For me TUV was immediately ruled out. I had to choose between Brezza and Ecosport. For an enthusiast Ecosport is definitely the car to go. I was about to vote for Ecosport. But, I put myself as a potential buyer and voted. I voted for Brezza, only reason it comes from the Maruti stable and is a newer product. As someone pointed out, what if it's a Maruti Ecosport and Ford Brezza that was recently launched? It would have been a easy decision, wouldn't have even considered Brezza. if that was the case no one would have even cared of the Brezza launch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks