Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Maruti Vitara Brezza 237 30.54%
Ford EcoSport 466 60.05%
Mahindra TUV300 73 9.41%
Voters: 776. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 13:31   #151
BHPian

Re: Race against time: 90 days before 6000 km trip. New car needed.

Although Ecosport and Brezza are very obvious choices, may I also suggest you to have a look at Tata Zest Diesel XMS.
- high reliability from 1.3 Fiat engine
- SUV like high seating position
- comfort and space

At least, you should test drive it.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:38   #152
BHPian

You have answered your query yourself. You love driving and the ecosport will satisfy your itch with its stability, high speed manners and build. The Brezza is also a complete package. Do take a TD of both the cars and decide. Also, the waiting on the Brezza and the 90 day deadline is also hard to match. You may be allotted a car as a result of cancelled booking.

Nexon is far away else it could have been a good contender. You can add the wrv diesel in the list but I believe it's overpriced and lacks the road presence of the other two. No offenses to the owners, but I find the Tuv to be crude.

So, the ecosport trend/trend+ is the answer.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 20th April 2017 at 13:41.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:43   #153
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

Upgrade requirements:
1. Larger engine, cruising capabilities.
2. SUV'ish stance preferred ( read ground clearance)
3. Primary occupants will be 2, occasionally 4 adults and very rarely 5.
4. Diesel for sure as it will munch kms for breakfast lunch and dinner.
5. Safety: 2 airbags must. ABS needed.
6. Hopefully will be in my stable for 5-6 years, so not really concerned for the resale value.
7. Budget: wanted it to be 9.5, extending it to 10, convince me for 10.5 lacs.

Shortlists as of now:

1. ECOSPORT
Love the handling and the build quality. Still looks great and the wheel at the tailgate makes it look butch.
Affordability an issue. Only Trend TDCI in my current budget. Ambiente doesn't have ABS.

2. BREZZA
Affordable and a Maruti. Balanced package and is new as an offering.
Nothing great yet nothing bad.
Affordability for VDI(O).
Big Con: 21 weeks waiting period. Can't meet my 90 day deadline.
I personally love the EcoSport for what it offers, only thing is I would have loved a little more space (specially the boot space). But, it clearly makes sense for your requirements.

Brezza, although a great product, feels inferior in terms of quality when compared to the S-Cross.

The S-Cross 1.3 Zeta is a great option for your intended purpose of use. Most importantly, it feels better built that the Brezza. The 1.3 MJD is not exactly a big engine, but it is fairly good for cruising on the highways and in the hills. The 1.6 S-Cross would have been the perfect highway-cruiser but then the turbo-lag kills the fun around the hills and will be a pain to drive in regular Bangalore traffic. Also, the 1.6 is now available only in the Alpha trim (or probably it has been discontinued, not sure).

My vote will be between the EcoSport Trend+ and the S-Cross 1.3 Zeta. Frankly apart from the higher GC in the Brezza, the S-Cross is a much better car for the price.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:58   #154
BHPian

You can expand your probable list to include the Maruti 1.3 S-Cross, the Mahindra TUV 300 and the Hyundai i20 Active. These 3 fit what you are looking for. Along with this I will also advise that if your budget is fixed then do a test drive of ALL cars available in that. Why? This will help settle in your mind what works for you and what does not.

You have an additional issue of a 90-day deadline. This means the Brezza is probably out of reckoning.

Last edited by BeantownThinker : 20th April 2017 at 14:01.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:05   #155
BHPian

Well I would agree with what everyone is saying. EcoSport will be the definate choice in your case.
And with that much distance to cover I think you would fall in love with it. It's truly a gem with its road manners, good dynamics and solid build quality.
thatfastdude19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:07   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Don't really want to consider anything else. But, convince me and I am in.

Leave it to the intellect of this forum to help me get through this dilemma.
Did not really want to add my suggestion since you are almost done with your decision. So, initially thought of just congratulating you on your purchase later.

But, my love for Duster tempted me to add my points.

Considering your love for long drives, In my view, ride quality, reliability are two most important factors for your decision making. Duster satisfies both these parameters the most

So, my suggestion is to add Duster as well in your list while finalizing the deal

Edit: Also, I strongly feel, we should not have 90 days deadline when making a decision of having a car for at least 5-6 years. Having deadlines will trigger to take wrong decisions

Last edited by gkveda : 20th April 2017 at 15:09.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:19   #157
BHPian

Since you have a deadline to meet, did you ever think of a pre-owned car? You might even get one which you would not have thought of buying but is now affordable within your budget...
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:20   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I think Brezza would have long waiting times.

S-Cross 1.3 might be a good option and you may also get some good deals which might not be the case with the Brezza. Plus as "M" mentioned, the build quality is better in the S-Cross as compared to the Brezza (at least it feels better while driving).

Staying with Maruti will also get you a loyalty bonus on exchange of your Celerio (am assuming you will keep only 1 car).

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 20th April 2017 at 15:21.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:56   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Although Ecosport and Brezza are very obvious choices, may I also suggest you to have a look at Tata Zest Diesel XMS.

- high reliability from 1.3 Fiat engine

- SUV like high seating position

- comfort and space

At least, you should test drive it.

Agreed Zest as a product is very good, but for some reason it's visual appeal doesn't really appeal me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
You have answered your query yourself. You love driving and the ecosport will satisfy your itch with its stability, high speed manners and build. The Brezza is also a complete package. Do take a TD of both the cars and decide. Also, the waiting on the Brezza and the 90 day deadline is also hard to match. You may be allotted a car as a result of cancelled booking.

Nexon is far away else it could have been a good contender. You can add the wrv diesel in the list but I believe it's overpriced and lacks the road presence of the other two. No offenses to the owners, but I find the Tuv to be crude.

So, the ecosport trend/trend+ is the answer.

Thanks. I did think about the Nexon but can't say when will it come and I really want to meet the 90 day deadline. But you too have pushed my guilt of jumping the gun by an ounce... Am I being an idiot by making this impulsive decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I personally love the EcoSport for what it offers, only thing is I would have loved a little more space (specially the boot space). But, it clearly makes sense for your requirements.

Brezza, although a great product, feels inferior in terms of quality when compared to the S-Cross.

The S-Cross 1.3 Zeta is a great option for your intended purpose of use. Most importantly, it feels better built that the Brezza. The 1.3 MJD is not exactly a big engine, but it is fairly good for cruising on the highways and in the hills. The 1.6 S-Cross would have been the perfect highway-cruiser but then the turbo-lag kills the fun around the hills and will be a pain to drive in regular Bangalore traffic. Also, the 1.6 is now available only in the Alpha trim (or probably it has been discontinued, not sure).

My vote will be between the EcoSport Trend+ and the S-Cross 1.3 Zeta. Frankly apart from the higher GC in the Brezza, the S-Cross is a much better car for the price.

True that S-Cross is a way better product than Brezza, but so is the cost. I am already stretching my case so a bit difficult. Nonetheless will try getting a TD and who knows it blows me away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
You can expand your probable list to include the Maruti 1.3 S-Cross, the Mahindra TUV 300 and the Hyundai i20 Active. These 3 fit what you are looking for. Along with this I will also advise that if your budget is fixed then do a test drive of ALL cars available in that. Why? This will help settle in your mind what works for you and what does not.

You have an additional issue of a 90-day deadline. This means the Brezza is probably out of reckoning.

S-cross : no offense to the owners but for some reason I don't like how it looks in the front. Plus only Delta 1.3 is in my budget. But with so many telling me that, will try getting a TD if possible.
TUV and I20 active are outright out. Former for its cost and dynamics and latter for being a pure hatch on stilts in my opinion.(no offence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfastdude19 View Post
Well I would agree with what everyone is saying. EcoSport will be the definate choice in your case.

And with that much distance to cover I think you would fall in love with it. It's truly a gem with its road manners, good dynamics and solid build quality.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Did not really want to add my suggestion since you are almost done with your decision. So, initially thought of just congratulating you on your purchase later.

But, my love for Duster tempted me to add my points.

Considering your love for long drives, In my view, ride quality, reliability are two most important factors for your decision making. Duster satisfies both these parameters the most

So, my suggestion is to add Duster as well in your list while finalizing the deal

Edit: Also, I strongly feel, we should not have 90 days deadline when making a decision of having a car for at least 5-6 years. Having deadlines will trigger to take wrong decisions

Duster would have been in consideration without questions had it been in my budget. 110 ps versions are too much out of budget.
Agree on the deadline... somewhere inside I have that feeling, but then not always you get such a chance. You just made my life filled with a bit more guilt of jumping the gun..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Since you have a deadline to meet, did you ever think of a pre-owned car? You might even get one which you would not have thought of buying but is now affordable within your budget...

On a serious note, that is surely something to ponder about. But the rate of interest for used car loans are quite high, so that could be a dampener. On a lighter note, convincing wife on a used car might be too much to ask for in this state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
I think Brezza would have long waiting times.

S-Cross 1.3 might be a good option and you may also get some good deals which might not be the case with the Brezza. Plus as "M" mentioned, the build quality is better in the S-Cross as compared to the Brezza (at least it feels better while driving).

Staying with Maruti will also get you a loyalty bonus on exchange of your Celerio (am assuming you will keep only 1 car).

Loyalty bonus was something I didn't really think of. Let me check. Thanks for the idea.
Old 20th April 2017, 16:20   #160
BHPian

Eco-Sports is clear winner given your requirements. If you can stretch your budget, you would want to add Duster and Creta to the list. Take test drives and then decide. If I were you, I wouldn't consider a Maruti since you already own one.

P.S. Don't let 90 days deadline affect your decision. You can always hire a self-driven real SUV for this road trip and come back weighing pros and cons.

P.P.S. BTW, My wife is from Dehradun and my native is also not very far from there.
Old 20th April 2017, 16:26   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Eco-Sports is clear winner given your requirements. If you can stretch your budget, you would want to add Duster and Creta to the list. Take test drives and then decide. If I were you, I wouldn't consider a Maruti since you already own one.

P.S. Don't let 90 days deadline affect your decision. You can always hire a self-driven real SUV for this road trip and come back weighing pros and cons.

P.P.S. BTW, My wife is from Dehradun and my native is also not very far from there.

Wish the budget could have been extended. But sadly the pockets don't permit. Also the idea of a self drive SUV did come to my mind but the costs for 6000 kms over a period of 14 days are exorbitant. That's just not feasible.

Great to hear about your dehradun connection. World is small place, let's meet up someday.
And you are the third person to add to my guilt of jumping the gun and being impulsive. Can I not afford to be?
Old 20th April 2017, 16:45   #162
BHPian

Quote:
And you are the third person to add to my guilt of jumping the gun and being impulsive.
I did not mean to lower your enthusiasm.

Quote:
Can I not afford to be?
You certainly can, as soon as you stop feeling the guilt yourself In fact, the one giving you advise is more impulsive than you when it comes to these decisions.

Happy Road Trip Mate.
Old 20th April 2017, 16:59   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. ECOSPORT
Love the handling and the build quality. Still looks great and the wheel at the tailgate makes it look butch.
Affordability an issue. Only Trend TDCI in my current budget. Ambiente doesn't have ABS.

2. BREZZA
Affordable and a Maruti. Balanced package and is new as an offering.
Nothing great yet nothing bad.
Affordability for VDI(O).
Big Con: 21 weeks waiting period. Can't meet my 90 day deadline.

Leave it to the intellect of this forum to help me get through this dilemma.
You could add the Honda WR-V to your list as the Diesel S-MT variant is roughly 8.8 Lacs exshowroom and could meet your target price.
It also has most of the features that you need and plus has good ground clearance too and is a semi-crossover.
The engine though a bit noisy, is very frugal and will save you a lot of money in your long drives.
If you can stretch your budget, you can even go for the V-MT variant and get all the added features like Sunroof, Touchscreen Infotainment and all the other jing-bang!
Old 20th April 2017, 17:12   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a serious note, that is surely something to ponder about. But the rate of interest for used car loans are quite high, so that could be a dampener. On a lighter note, convincing wife on a used car might be too much to ask for in this state of affairs.
8 out of the 10 cars that I have owned till date, have been used cars and I was always happy with them. Here's the trick, buy an used car with personal loan. Nowadays you get personal loans for 11.5% compared to used car loans of 16-18%. In case of emergency, you can always sell the car and have the cash and the car will also not be under hypothecation. You will be the sole owner. Think about it. Downpayment is upto you, a car already run in and you can also modify, remap, etc not having to think about warranty unless you buy a recent model.

90 days is a long time to find a good nick.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 20th April 2017 at 17:13.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 18:24   #165
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Since you love to drive and want your car delivered within 90 days, I would suggest you to go for the Ecosport Trend/Trend+. S-Cross Delta being the other alternative.

Most Viewed