Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2017, 00:51   #136
BHPian

Re: Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I am in a fix.

We sold our 2013 Ertiga today, and as usual, talks of a new car have already began.

Last week, we test drove the Vitara Brezza, Ecosport and S-Cross. The model in consideration was ZDI+ , Titanium+ TDCi and Zeta.

Before going for the drive, it was pretty much set that we would be choosing the Ecosport, due to the sheer features, full safety package and general looks and performance.
After the drive, here's where the problem began.

1. Ecosport - Mom and Dad felt extremely uncomfortable in the back seat, and constantly reminded me that the middle hump was quite high. The seat width was inadequate for 3. With me in driving position (I'm 5'10"), my dad had just about enough space (He's 6'1') in the rear. The car was very responsive and well controlled, almost negligible turbo lag, linear acceleration. It was rolling around and pitching heavily in bad roads though (not sure if its a bad tire pressure or due to thinner sidewalls of the 17 inchers). The materials, features and richness of the interior was duly noted, but I am just not being able to overlook my parents discomfort.

2. S-Cross - Not my first choice in looks, but the new one looks better in person than in pictures. The front end is refreshing and the wider tires give it nice presence. The interiors feel quite nice for a Maruti product, quite unlike our Ertiga. Rear seat was quite wide, comfortably sitting dad,mom and the salesperson. The car handled well, body roll was zero. The engine was noisier than the Ecosport, but didn't feel that underpowered (I am used to driving the Ertiga ZDI). Engine behaviour was very similar to Ertiga, except the first two gears are slightly taller. It does have all wheel discs, but I didn't notice much difference in braking capabilities between the 3. Went into the S-Cross quite adamant not to choose it, but it felt surprisingly good.

3. Vitara Brezza - Clean neutral design, everyone in the family likes it. Pricing is higher than S-Cross and so is the huge waiting period. The rear seat was flat and almost no contours (similar to the Sail U-VA we had earlier). Not the most comfortable, but definitely spacious. It felt wider than the S-Cross too. With regards to driving, the seat position feels quite high, and the view of the road is good. Engine was really noisy, not sure if it was a bad TD car or if that is normal. Acceleration and responsiveness felt slightly better than S-Cross. Plastic Quality and overall richness of the interior was lacking.

The OTR pricing is 12.04L for Ecosport, 11.07L for S-Cross and 11.14L for Vitara Brezza. Waiting Period is 1 month for both Ecosport and S-Cross, and 3.5 month for Brezza.

With the Ecosport very close to being eliminated (its a shame, I really wanted our next car to be equipped with a full suite of safety features), the fight is between these two.

Good Looks and SUV-ish stance of the Brezza or the more mature and solid S-Cross.

The major confusion is caused by the fact that all 3 of us liked both S-Cross and Vitara Brezza, but for different reasons in each case, which is making comparison between them hard.

Or maybe I should sacrifice comfort to get Ecosport I dunno

Last edited by ts1506 : 23rd December 2017 at 00:53.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 01:12   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
With the Ecosport very close to being eliminated (its a shame, I really wanted our next car to be equipped with a full suite of safety features), the fight is between these two.
Since Ecosport is almost eliminated, it's a no-brainer now. S-Cross it is!! It's a better car overall compared to Brezza and a segment higher. Advantage Brezza would be Looks?, better GC and better resale value. Also Brezza is marginally better in performance.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 23rd December 2017 at 01:14.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 12:43   #138
BHPian

I am in the process of upgrading from SX4 to a SUV/ MUV. I have shortlisted few cars and am mighty confused, as to which one to choose. The cars which I have shortlisted are as follows ( not in the order of preference):-

(a) S Cross- Interiors are impressive for a Maruti Car and so is the mileage. The build quality and the steering looked like a sour point. Also, I don't to add up with another car like SX4 ( excellent but discontinued due to poor sales).

(b) Creta - Good looks, very responsive engine and good build quality. Confused between 1.4 and 1.6 diesel.

(c) Ecosport - Haven't checked it yet.

(d) BRV - The biggest + point is the honda drive quality. Looks (both interior and exterior are very bland).

(e) Captur - Not yet checked.

(f) Compass - The biggest + and - is the brand name.

My daily drive is between 10- 20 kms, however annual drive is around 15, 000 kms, due to road trips, that is why I have shortlisted only diesel engines . The budget is between 12 - 20 lakhs and the car is meant for me, my wife and two dogs.

Would be grateful, if I can be helped in choosing the car.
Sea Cruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 14:47   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Cruiser View Post
I am in the process of upgrading from SX4 to a SUV/ MUV. I have shortlisted few cars and am mighty confused, as to which one to choose. The cars which I have shortlisted are as follows ( not in the order of preference):-

(a) S Cross
(b) Creta
(c) Ecosport
(d) BRV
(e) Captur
(f) Compass

My daily drive is between 10- 20 kms, however annual drive is around 15, 000 kms, due to road trips, that is why I have shortlisted only diesel engines . The budget is between 12 - 20 lakhs and the car is meant for me, my wife and two dogs.

The S-Cross will be a lateral move, even though quite a good one at that. The Creta top end also is an excellent option. But since you have the budget range in the 20 lakhs vicinity, I would recommend the Compass Limited 4x2; looks really good, and its great to drive.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 00:09   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
The major confusion is caused by the fact that all 3 of us liked both S-Cross and Vitara Brezza, but for different reasons in each case, which is making comparison between them hard.

I was in this situation last year and chose Brezza over S-Cross simply because I loved and continue to love the looks, road presence, ground clearance, wide stance with those tyres, visibility and rear seat (can easily and comfortably sit 3 healthy adults). In terms of engine, build quality and for having 4 disc brakes, the 1.6 S-Cross was an enthusiasts car. Unfortunately, I hated the looks and the initial pricing didn't do any good to it.

Now that the facelift has better looks (as compared to its predecessor, though for me Brezza still looks better), I would have gone with it provided the 1.6 was available. In present day with the 1.6 discontinued, Brezza for me continues to be the 1st choice. Though it is a mass market product, it is still a head turner. I own a Red-Black Dual tone ZDi+ since July 2016 and have done close to 18000 Kms and am very satisfied with it and according to me it is an excellent VFM product.
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 10:24   #141
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Only the Jeep Compass would be a true upgrade from your current car. And since you have a budget of upto Rs. 20L, I'd suggest that you go for the Compass Sport or the Latitude(O). Otherwise, the top-end Creta would be my pick.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 23:21   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Compass is a good choice if you have the budget for it. I personally find it overpriced.

Creta is a good choice too but high speed composure/handling and braking leaves a lot to be desired. I never could connect with the steering inspite of trying hard.

Scross is underpowered on Paper but I did find it adequate for most needs and very VFM. My recommendation would be scross.

Captur seems to be a sales disaster for Renault. So unless something changes drastically, I don't see how Renault will continue to produce Captur. So maybe a good idea to stay away from it. I like captur quite a bit too.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:40   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Scross is underpowered on Paper but I did find it adequate for most needs and very VFM. My recommendation would be scross.
Finally, after lot of deliberation, I'm booking a S cross in nexa blue colour today.. Delivery time, intimated is 6 to 8 weeks from the time of booking..

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2018 at 20:08. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 25th March 2018, 20:24   #144
BHPian

Hi All
I have been reading through this thread as I am interested in buying the Brezza, not considered S Cross as I need smaller dimensions. The reason I am holding back is if Maruti is going to replace the DDIS with their in-house diesel.

My concerns may be not relevant as DDIS is sold in so many cars but wanted the experts/ forum's view before I commit.
Old 25th March 2018, 20:50   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
The reason I am holding back is if Maruti is going to replace the DDIS with their in-house diesel.
How quickly do you need the car?

I don't think the in-house diesel engine will debut anytime soon.
Old 25th March 2018, 21:55   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

The inhouse 1.5L diesel will debut in Ciaz, which is expected to hit the market in August. Slowly 1.3MJD in other models too will be replaced by that engine.

The 1.3 MJD will not be BS6 compliant in this avatar, hence will most likely be discontinued by 2020

Last edited by Leoshashi : 25th March 2018 at 21:57.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 22:10   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I don't think the in-house diesel engine will debut anytime soon.
Maruti is testing new 1.5 diesel engine with 6MT gearbox since couple of months. Hope you have read about the report of same in Ciaz here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...5l-diesel.html

This engine will be introduced in Ciaz or new Ertiga first. As per my sources this engine and gearbox combo has very good drivability .
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 22:21   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Maruti is testing new 1.5 diesel engine with 6MT gearbox since couple of months. Hope you have read about the report of same in Ciaz here.
This report is fine but any clarity on when the engine will go into production and when will it come into the Brezza?

EDIT:

Since OP was interested in knowing the new engine making its way into the Brezza which is why I said not sure when it'll feature in it.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th March 2018 at 22:24.
Old 25th March 2018, 22:38   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since OP was interested in knowing the new engine making its way into the Brezza which is why I said not sure when it'll feature in it.
DBhpian Leoshashi has already given some inputs in the above post. 1.3 DDIS days are numbered.

If the OP is not in hurry, I suggest you to wait for few more months to get more clarity about this new engine .
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 16:17   #150
BHPian

Folks does it make sense to buy the Brezza now or wait for the new engine to debut? Am assuming it will probably be early next year before the Brezza debuts with the new engines?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks