Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 02:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
So now I am down to-
S-Cross 1.3 Zeta which gives me keyless entry, auto ac, disc brakes all around, abs, cruise control, excellent ride quality.
Brezza Zdi+ which is more or less the same as the S-Cross 1.3 Zeta but the interior fit and finish is not great. Build is a notch lower. Might be easier to sell in the second hand market.

I always spend lot of time looking at different cars before finalizing one. Usually my hunt starts 3-6 months before the purchase. Would love to hear what you would pick and why. Also if you think I have missed some car that should be part of this list then please let me know.

Thanks
Go and bargain hard for S-cross, you will surely get better deal with some freebies. S-cross has very good interiors and I was really surprised that Maruti can ever give such beautiful interiors in this segment. Leather in S-cross is top class and feels above all in this particular segment, I mean it. It has very comfortable seats and frankly speaking it looks good in actual than in photos. Its very spacious too. Boot space is sufficient IMHO. Go for it. All the best
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 04:11   #47
BHPian

The decision is quite simple and fellow BHPians agree - the S-Cross, looks aside, is a better car in nearly every department.

Even if it is a budget issue, S-Cross DDIS200 wins as it has the same 90 hp engine as the Vitara, hence no disadvantage. Frankly, I'd go for that and put some better looking alloys which will help tremendously.

Finally, and this is a point I'm sure someone else might have made, discounts. The S-Cross is likely to be available with some margin for the dealer to sweeten the deal. They aren't selling like hot cakes, so take your chance and you never know what might happen. It may even come in the form of lower finance rate or some such thing that will make the case stronger for the S-Cross. It's certainly a superior piece of engineering. Even Maruti admits this by placing it in the 'premium' showroom versus the 'aam-janta' showroom.

Last edited by carmayogi : 27th April 2016 at 04:15.
carmayogi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 05:06   #48
BHPian

Since we are mostly comparing cars with the 1.3 liter 89 bhp Fiat engines, why not add the Ertiga into the race? You get 180 mm GC plus a grand third row of seats which kids and adults can enjoy. Think about it. Great used value as well. Good set of features too. Most inexpensive of the lot
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 09:07   #49
BHPian

Between the Brezza and the S-Cross, it's the S-Cross anyday (1.3 or 1.6) for the mature handling and planted feel on the highway. XUV seems like a good choice too! Anyway, Congratulations on the forthcoming new car and good luck on getting the best deal!
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 09:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
My take is definitely s-cross 1.4 or XUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amar06 View Post
Dear Friends,
I had the same dilemma when I was planning to upgrade from my Ritz Zxi.
I went thorugh the usual agony of trying to choose Duster, S Cross ( in Dec, the OTR prices was 17.5 Lakhs in Bangalore !!) Finally settled happily on XUV 500 W4
Thanks for the suggestion chaith.turbo and amar06. I did consider the XUV but feel it would be an overkill for a family of 3- two adults and a little kid. Occasionally 2 more adults might accompany but that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Another car that I would recommend would be the Fiat Linea T-Jet. Its again a turbo petrol that gives you a SUV kind of practicality (GC=185 mm) coupled with the comfort of a sedan. It has 120 PS of power and diesel like torque (207 Nm) very well complemented with segment best ride+handling+steering combo. It also has cruise control, all 4 discs (sharper than the S-cross) and 500 litre of massive boot.
Yep T-Jet takes the cake. But Linea's looks and Fiat's service network did not inspire me much. Though I have been considering a TD of the Aventuura 1.4 T-Jet. Read the build and ride quality are very good. The bootspace is obviously on the shorter side given it's sub 4m length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Honestly, the comparison is flawed. Brezza and S-Cross from two different segments and not sounding too exaggerated, from two different worlds.
I have been driving my S-Cross 1.3 for last 4 months now and I can vouch for the quality.
Hey ajay_satpute, I guess you are right about the flawed comparison based on them being from two different segments- compact and subcompact. The reason I thought of pitching them is similarity in price, features, engine, space and same manufacturer. Then see what TBHP folks have to say with regards to ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I have been driving my S-Cross 1.3 for last 4 months now and I can vouch for the quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I have been using S-Cross 1.3 Zeta for the last 8 months and already crossed 12K KMs. Have done 4 long drives (2 Bangalore-Thrissur trips / 1 Bangalore-Mookambika trip / 1 Bangalore-Mumbai trip).
Question for both ajay_satpute and Sree73- Have you taken your 1.3 to any twisting hilly roads? If yes how does it fare in steep inclines? Does it give trouble when you might have to slow down and drop the rpms and then pick up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Yesterday, there was a Vitara Brezza in front of me when I was coming back from office. The car looks small in physical as compared to photos.
Yes I agree the Brezza looks smaller in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
there was always a doubt regarding its stay in the Maruti stable.
I have had this at the back of my mind. Is this really going to happen with S-Cross?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
He's ready to settle for a disproportionate hatchback ... the S-cross is outright disproportionate. It's headlights and the overall face is that of a much bigger(and uglier) car. When you see it head-on, it looks like an old-school stretch-limo's front.
Ha ha ! Well to be frank I quite like the S-Cross' looks. Do not find it disproportionate. I have a different take on this though- Most of us are so used to seeing the regular hatchbacks and their pseudo crossover avatars with fake cladding and bumpers glued on that it becomes difficult to acknowledge S-Cross' 4.3m length(longer than the Ertiga if I am not wrong), with more crossover like dimensions- GC, tyres, space etc. Anyhow as always looks are subjective. If there is anything that is least attractive to me in S-Cross then that is the rear end(some really love it I know). Wish it had a smarter looking rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Coming to Duster:
The top variant of 85PS Duster comes with all the necessary things which the OP wants and then some.
I am a bit reluctant in considering the 85PS Duster due to the higher kerb weight and lesser power compared to Brezza, S-Cross. 110Ps is definitely up for consideration if I opt for S-Cross 1.6 Zeta. I think the Duster has great mechanics under the hood. But Renault really messed up with the interiors. None the less I am super impressed by the ride quality this car has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
If you can hold your horses for a few more days, the Honda BR-V will be launching soon. Not sure how its going to be but it might just tick the right boxes for you if it turns out to be good car (stamped by our official team-bhp review)
Yep BR-V is worth waiting for folks looking for a 7 seater. But I still got time anyways. I am in no hurry to make the purchase. Like I mentioned I take a looong time to finalize the purchase. Another car I was hoping Honda would bring into the mix was HR-V. Saw a few reviews of the US and UK versions. Awesome looking car inside out. Of course it will come to India severely stripped down with different engine options. But still would be good to see the fight against the likes of Duster and Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Answers by points
Thats my tiny, teeny, weeny, tinny hatch parked next to a Gargantuan, mighty, huge "SUV"
Attachment 1501022
sandygordon is super irked by S-Cross being referred as hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Duster AWD is still a good bet.
This takes me beyond 17lacs on-road in Bangalore. I had a plan that if I am going for anything close to 12lacs I will keep it for 3-5 years before I make the next upgrade. Beyond 12 I would like to keep it for close to 10 years. Do you feel Duster would age well and be a good companion for 10 years? Might be a silly plan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Go and bargain hard for S-cross, you will surely get better deal with some freebies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
Finally, and this is a point I'm sure someone else might have made, discounts. The S-Cross is likely to be available with some margin for the dealer to sweeten the deal.
I already tried a few things like corporate discount and hankering for dealer discount. Any other pointers you got for me ?

I was reading online on some other portal that S-Cross user's have faced some terrible circumstances due to faulty machinery. There was one where the power steering failed while taking a turn along with failure of multiple sensors. Another one where the turbocharger hose came off during a highway overtaking maneuver. Anyone has any take on this?

Thanks everyone for pouring in with your opinions and suggestions.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
My first post here. Happy to be accepted by the TBHP community. A little background about what lead to the search for a new car-
As an owner of S cross 1.6 Delta, i would say nothing comes close to overall VFM package it offers - Safety (Dual SRS, 4 discs, ABS, Strong Body etc).
The driveability is a pain in low rpms but once you are in sweet zone - nothing on the highway come close . Look at 1.6 Delta version !
Best of Luck !

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2016 at 11:14. Reason: Reduced quoted content
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 10:13   #52
Team-BHP Support

The only reason for me to consider the S-Cross is that gem of a 1.6L diesel engine!

Would have loved it if there was the option of getting it in the Vitara though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 10:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Followed a white ZDi+ variant on road for 10 minutes today. It looked very average comparing to Creta, but much better comparing to boring SCross or even Ecosport.

Brezza front looks like an Alto. Wide tyres, extra GC make Brezza looks better than SCross. Scross is a size bigger, well built, better interior and better boot comparing to Brezza (1.3 vs 1.3)

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th April 2016 at 10:36.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 10:17   #54
BHPian

As always, the issue has been dissected to the core, perhaps this is the beauty of T-BHP nowhere else you can get such expert advice.

Jaunthead, look no further, get the SCross 1.6 (torque monster) and the 16" Alloys of the Brezza, you are all set.
MercFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 10:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

@jaunthead - I have done a lot of driving up and down the hills and the 1.3 SCross is easily manageable on steep climbs. The lag is much more manageable in 1.3 compared to the 1.6. I remember during TD of 1.6, I had deliberately stopped midway on a steep slope. I was in 3rd gear, so I slotted the 2nd and the car would not move at all. I then slotted first and revved a bit and got it moving. I am not saying 1.6 is terrible on such steep slopes, you just have to get used to the monster and its lag. Also, I may not be the best of the drivers, when it comes to maneuvering a diesel monster engine, since this is my first ever diesel, after 4 petrol cars.

Except one (Renault/Nissan) fanboy post against the SCross, everyone has recommended the SCross wholeheartedly. So I hope now you don't have a confusion. If you still have any doubts, we can go on for another 5-6 pages easily.

Jokes apart, all the best for your car purchase decision. Hope you get what your heart wants.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 10:52   #56
BHPian

My 2 cents.
I was in the same boat as you. Waited for the Breeza, got the S-Cross 1.6 without even test driving the Brezza (I went through all the reviews posted online).

WHAT PEOPLE SAID
1. Why S-Cross? It is not selling. I am telling you, take it in writing "It will not sell". Later, "The 1.3 will sell and 1.6 will be discontinued". Later, "1.6 will sell less".
2. +10lacs Maruti? Have you gone bananas?
3. Go for an SUV. Buy the Breeza (or Creta, Duster). It is no match for the Creta (looks they meant).
4. It looks like grandma.
5. Dude, it has an imported engine which is a FIAT. FIAT? They are not doing good in India.

WHAT I DID- I listened to them and evaluated each of their points.
1. 3K+ per month is what S-Cross does. It Diwali numbers for GM or Fiat. Though the 1.6 numbers are less, it will still sell. It will be exclusive.
2. Oh please! Look at the value the car gives not the brand. Based on brand name, I drove the Honda City iVtec. I found the S-Cross ride far superior.
3. Is Brezza an SUV? Is S-Cross a SUV? Even Creta is wannabe SUV me thinks. Only Duster AWD is what an SUV should be. So coming to your comparison, both are cars on stills. So now look at the other stuff like quality, reliability, value, interiors.
4. No. She is an aged women who is measured and knows her way. So looks are subjective. I knew I just needed to change her shoes and alloys and she would look more appealing. In fact, the S-Cross looks grows on you (I too hated how she looked when she was launched).
5. Haha. Really? So is it FIAT's job to service the engine? Maruti has more Service Centers then public toilet (just kidding) in India. And they have added NEXA. They are desperate to get in the C2+ segments. They will ensure they do a good job with servicing even if the engine is not theirs.

Anyways, people will tell you because advise is free. Go with what you want and sometimes listen to your heart. I did that.
People who gave me free advise also like the car now once I made them sit (forced in some case) and drive it.
shivasi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 11:07   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
If you can hold your horses for a few more days, the Honda BR-V will be launching soon. Not sure how its going to be but it might just tick the right boxes for you if it turns out to be good car (stamped by our official team-bhp review)
Well looks like most of our members have given thumbs up to S-Cross. I thought I'll give my bit of opinion. Yes if you are looking for better build and great driving experience S-Cross should be your choice.

How about considering below points too.
1. S Cross was launched last year August and the sales figures aren't very good. Our team BHP car buying guide suggests to buy car with healthy sales. (Not that Maruti is going to abandon S-Cross immediately). If you are ok with Mass market car then Brezza is a good choice.
2. Also why not buy latest available cars in market. I do agree with Ninja, you should definitely wait for Honda BR-V.
3. Maruti Brezza using 1.3 engine is a no nonsense car. And for a family of three Brezza makes more value for money than S-Cross.

I have one more question to other BHPians: all cars available in the market comply to BS-IV emission standards. And by 2017 manufacturers should start producing engines having BS-V emission standards(Correct me if I am wrong). Does it make sense to buy a car this year if there are no urgency(If you already have car)

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2016 at 13:49. Reason: Typo
Debashis_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th April 2016, 12:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean S-Cross right ?
I understand that the main contenders are
SCross 1.3 and 1.6 ,Brezza ,Ecosport ,XUV500 ,Duster and the Creta.

But before you jump the gun ,I would recommend you to take an extensive test drive of all contenders for at least 50 to 100kms (In a similar situation I always do a paid test drive for 50 or more kms)

I also recommend you to test drive all cars on the same day and in a similar road (test for ease in traffic speed,highway speeds,potholes,smooth roads, steep incline stop and go,braking,cornering etc)

Longish test drive will ensure that you have experienced all the above driving conditions and it will be time to listen to your strong gut feeling.

Remember nothing/no size can be an overkill,its what suits you better and other people cannot decide that for you.

All the best
Keep us posted.

PS:Why not wait out for the BRV and take an informed decision

Last edited by ecosport rules : 27th April 2016 at 12:45.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 13:55   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
My comment was a based on TBHP Brezza review which said "1.3L 89 BHP diesel is quick as well as fuel-efficient".
Just to clarify, when we make a comment, it's relative to others in the same segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The only reason for me to consider the S-Cross is that gem of a 1.6L diesel engine!
And that's reason enough. How many times have we heard the line 'I married him because he has a good heart'. The heart is important . It makes a 'nice person' nicer, and a 'nice car' nicer!

I've bought two cars based on the engine alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
But before you jump the gun ,I would recommend you to take an extensive test drive of all contenders for at least 50 to 100kms
While I understand the value in that, unless you know the owner of the dealership or own one yourself, you won't be getting a 50 km test-drive of the Vitara Brezza. In fact, even for cars not launched recently, 50 kms test-drives are hard to come by.

While I strongly recommend each & every person to personally test-drive a car before they buy it, a Team-BHP Official Review lists everything you'd find in that 50 km test-drive.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 14:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While I understand the value in that, unless you know the owner of the dealership or own one yourself, you won't be getting a 50 km test-drive of the Vitara Brezza. In fact, even for cars not launched recently, 50 kms test-drives are hard to come by.
The Nexa showroom I visited were really accommodating when I asked for a 30-40Km TD. They in fact offered me one right then. But I said I will come back with my wife in tow when I am ready to buy.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2016 at 16:02. Reason: Quoted post deleted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks