Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 17:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross

If it has to be Maruti, then it has to be the S-Cross, their best product till date which feels more European than Japanese, coupled with the strong Maruti ASS. 1.3 isnt that bad and its more than capable on the highways, mid-range being strong. 1.6 is in a different territory all together, no doubt, but in the city, it would require more gear shifts than the 1.3 to tackle the turbo lag. On the highway though, the 320 NM of brutal torque would make sure that you go past most cars on the highway with ease. So, I would suggest you to take test drive of both the variants and decide it for yourself, depending on the kind of speeds you do on the highway.

Ecosport Ecoboost can also be an option, and with the facelifted Ecosport, Ford has introduced a Trend plus variant on the Ecoboost that would be available at 9.5 lacs ONR. Its a turbo petrol and is quite fun to drive with 125 PS and 170 NM of power, torque respectively on tap, coupled with confident handling and great build quality. For more bells and whistles you can always go for the Titanium variant.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2016 at 13:37. Reason: No off-topic recommendations please
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
My suggestion is Weird.

If you are going for 1.3 engine, my suggestion is to go for Brezza. It is slightly more peppy. It looks better as well.
S-Cross with 1.3 does not do justice to anybody (Both car & driver).

If you are going for 1.6, It is the S-cross hands down due to the sheer performance of the 1.6.

Do not buy a car for it's heavier doors and body panels. Rather buy a car for how it drives!
I made a mistake of buying the polo primarily due to this stupid reason alone, and repent to this day, due to it's under-powered nature when going flat out.
Which Polo are you talking about? I too have the 1.5 tdi and for me no Maruti can ever come close to the drivability and top end of that engine. It's very close to ddis 1.6 in its behaviour. No way have I felt it is underpowered. Are you referring to the old 1.2 tdi by any chance?
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Are you referring to the old 1.2 tdi by any chance?
I am referring to the still-in-use 1.2 MPI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
I think you have a point here. But why do you think the Brezza is peppier? The kerb weight of the two vehicles are similar.
My Bad. I was comparing S-Cross 1.6 Kerb Weight with Brezza.
My comment was a based on TBHP Brezza review which said "1.3L 89 BHP diesel is quick as well as fuel-efficient". This led me to think that it is peppier.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 26th April 2016 at 18:46. Reason: added multi quote
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:44   #34
BHPian

Between the Brezza and the S-Cross, like others said, you should go with the S-Cross 1.6
It is an amazing machine and having owned one since the past 3 months, I can say that the 1.6 is always going to put a smile on your face when you drive it. Try going for the alpha variant if you can as the Zeta variant of the 1.6 loses out on quite a few features.
nimit3105 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
Hey jaunthead,

I know you are constrained on the budget, but wanted to put my thoughts on this.
One of my friend was in a very similar situation and after lot of research and visits to different showrooms, I suggested him XUV W4 which came to 14.5 OTR Bangalore.
He too was a purist and didn't mind in losing features like keyless entry, Auto this and Auto that. And believe me, I literally see him smiling when he's driving.
My take is definitely s-cross 1.4 or XUV.
Dear Friends,
I had the same dilemma when I was planning to upgrade from my Ritz Zxi.
I went thorugh the usual agony of trying to choose Duster, S Cross ( in Dec, the OTR prices was 17.5 Lakhs in Bangalore !!) Finally settled happily on XUV 500 W4
amar06 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 18:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, the comparison is flawed. Brezza and S-Cross from two different segments and not sounding too exaggerated, from two different worlds.

S-Cross is better than the Brezza in every department, except the ground clearance which is surely not a deal breaker. I have been driving my S-Cross 1.3 for last 4 months now and I can vouch for the quality.

As most have already said here, S-Cross is the best product from Maruti till date, barring the Grand Vitara and Kizashi.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 20:40   #37
BHPian

I have been using S-Cross 1.3 Zeta for the last 8 months and already crossed 12K KMs. Have done 4 long drives (2 Bangalore-Thrissur trips / 1 Bangalore-Mookambika trip / 1 Bangalore-Mumbai trip).

S-Cross is a wonderful product from Maruti but lacks visual appeal and hence may be having reduced sales numbers.

The positives of S-Cross are
1. Stability at high speeds
2. Wonderful steering response
3. Awesome fuel economy. (Getting 20KM/L in Bangalore traffic and got 23-24 KM/L during highway long runs)
4. Decent power and torque (200 DDiS)
5. All wheel disc brakes and hence better braking
6. Very spacious interior and also the premium feel

As many people have expressed here, 1.6 is desirable one, but at the same time 1.3 is not some thing inferior. 200 DDiS is also a good choice.

Yesterday, there was a Vitara Brezza in front of me when I was coming back from office. The car looks small in physical as compared to photos.

This aspect is totally different for S-Cross which looks small in photos but really big if you see the car physically.

Last edited by Sree73 : 26th April 2016 at 20:45.
Sree73 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 20:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Honestly, the comparison is flawed. Brezza and S-Cross from two different segments and not sounding too exaggerated, from two different worlds.

S-Cross is better than the Brezza in every department, except the ground clearance which is surely not a deal breaker. I have been driving my S-Cross 1.3 for last 4 months now and I can vouch for the quality.

As most have already said here, S-Cross is the best product from Maruti till date, barring the Grand Vitara and Kizashi.
We tried getting the SCross Zeta 1.3 for months but there was always a doubt regarding its stay in the Maruti stable. Still decided to go for it and then the budget happened. Our dealer increased the price by 50k so dropped it. Very next day Brezza launched. Booked a ZDi variant and then decided to think about it. Here I am now compiling the ownership review. No disappointments here. Maybe the plastics could have been of premium quality but its decent enough. Price wise Brezza ZDi+ and Scross Zeta 1.3 are the same with Brezza having more features. SCross 1.6 just flies on acceleration with a huge turbo kick but I thought it would be a tense affair to deal with the sudden acceleration so decided not to take it.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 20:45   #39
BHPian

Okay so i've read each and every comment of this thread and i think i need to weigh in my own opinion.

First of all, as i understand, the OP doesn't have any specific preference in regard to the type of vehicle he wants. He's ready to settle for a disproportionate hatchback, a compact SUV or an MUV for that matter.
So far, he has his sights set on the S-cross 1.6 engine option. But as he said, it's slightly out of his budget.
So basically, he is not buying what he really loves. Note this point. Not buying what he loves.

Now coming to the fact that he has to buy a car that is not a 1.6 S-cross, he has his list boiled down to the Brezza, S-cross 1.3 and a duster.

In my opinion:
The S-cross is severely overpriced. Even after the price-cuts and discounts that are being offered, it's overpriced. It is essentially a well-built hatchback with bells and whistles. No matter what goodies you put into that car, it is still a hatchback. And a very bland looking at that. I am all in favor of understated styling when it comes to cars. But the S-cross is outright disproportionate. It's headlights and the overall face is that of a much bigger(and uglier) car. When you see it head-on, it looks like an old-school stretch-limo's front. Add to that the 1.3 is okay-ish powered and is overpriced.
Why should the OP pay for the suits of NEXA salesmen, the rent of the NEXA dealerships and the iPad's which are used instead of brochures?
I think the S-cross is a waste of money at the current price. Add to that the fact that the OP doesn't even want to buy the 1.3 version. So why buy a compromise of a vehicle, which had been declared a market dud, and is not liked by the Home Minister(wife of OP).

Coming to Duster:
It's an excellent vehicle. Now this is something, whose category which didn't even exist in Indian market before it was introduced. Think of it as a fire-starter!
I have a Terrano, which is essentially a Duster with fancy clothing. This car is spacious(cabin and boot, both), has a very amazing engine and has proper european build build quality. The top variant of 85PS Duster comes with all the necessary things which the OP wants and then some. I havent done my research, but from my own experience i think that the Duster is probably the safest compact SUV in India under 12lacs exshowroom. It's structurally sound. The ground clearance is great. In India, the place where having own home is common but having good roads is a luxury, it's always better to have 205mm and robustness of the Duster. One could argue that there are cars like Honda City and Verna and Vento which are of much less GC but still do fine. But then, have you ever seen them as comfortable and careless on the roads as SUV's?
According to me, having 2 airbags, ABS and a good AC makes for a comfortable and safe car. Duster has it all. It's a tried and tested car. It's a market HIT. It sold in good numbers. It still sells today in decent numbers! Resale is good(Much much better than the S-cross). Maintenance cost is comparable to Marutis. Add to that, it's legendary ride quality, ground clearance, looks, proper dimensions and proportions, big boot AND the discounts. And how can you overlook the fact that it IS a proper SUV. It is a no-match in this segment.

Brezza:
Now this is a very pleasant surprise.
The lovely design, the brand backing it, the no-nonsense black interiors and the ground clearance. Add to that the top model's bells and whistles and the car still doesn't cost more than 10lacs ex-showroom. You HAVE TO be a juggernaut like Maruti to pull off this miracle. This is the most car you're getting for your money.
90bhp is good enough for city's and good for highways. It is no match for 1.6 S-cross in terms of power, but since we're not getting the S-cross, the comparison and competition is mostly 80-100bhp stuff(S-cross 90, Duster 85, EcoSport 90, Ertiga 90, Creta 90).
This is a lovely car from the most trusted brand in India. It's compact and it's light.
How could you ever go wrong with a product which Maruti made specifically for India, in India, after studying India market. Add to that the features and bells and whistles from 1 or even 2 segments above.
This is a fully loaded car(ZDI and ZDI+). Maruti was so thoughtful that they even added the basic safety necessities to the lower models at a measly price of 14000 INR. How great is that? You could buy this amazing SUV, with 2 airbags, ABS, music system, central locking, remote locking, electronically adjustable ORVM's for just 7.5 lacs ex-showroom(LDi with option pack)!!!! You don't even get an S-cross with all this features at 7.5lacs ex-showroom.

If i were you, i'd stop thinking about the S-cross altogether. It's a "premium" car. In all probability its gonna be discontinued soon. If not that, it's gonna get a facelift(which will be a reason of major heart-burn).

I would then put the Duster and Brezza on a 2 sided weighing scale. Since they both meet your minimum requirements(2 airbags, ABS, etc), it boils down to style, build quality, service support and personal liking.

You're buying a car which is going to stay with you for probably 10 years. Would you want to be driving a hatchback by the end of that time? Or would you want some vehicle from the Compact SUV category, a category which is ideal for Indian conditions.
DeepakS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 20:48   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
You're buying a car which is going to stay with you for probably 10 years. Would you want to be driving a hatchback by the end of that time? Or would you want some vehicle from the Compact SUV category, a category which is ideal for Indian conditions.
By the same logic, would you want to drive a car like the Brezza in 10 years? It is after all only a Quasi SUV meant for the budget conscious family man who wants space and "presence".

Similarly, in ten years, would you want to drive what is already the "World's Cheapest SUV"?

Or would you like something odd and uncommon?

I think what everyone has expressed here are personal opinions and there is no doubt at all, that the S Cross is Maruti's best offering till date.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 20:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't forget to factor in the waiting period which the Brezza commands today. Any variant should be in a minimum of 1½-2 months waiting, easily. Comparatively, the S-Cross should be available more easily, specially the 1.3L variants.

If you have to pick one between these two strictly, I recommend the S-Cross. Be it in the driver's seat or in the rear, anyone sitting inside the S-Cross will be much happier than in the Brezza.

Like GTO & some others have already recommended, I would stretch my budget and go for the 1.6L option, eyes closed. An EMI difference in the low thousands is nothing when you are getting such a fantastic engine, coupled with that lovely handling/riding product. Also, admit it, if you compromise to save that few thousands, be pretty sure that that money will be spent on something else every month either way. In the end, we end up in the same situation anyway. Why compromise, then?

Contemporary, yes. Features, yes. Build quality, top notch. In-cabin space, plentiful. Engine, top of the range. And to top it all off, a price revision which makes it a super VFM offering now.

Go for the S-Cross.

Forget everything else.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th April 2016 at 20:50.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 21:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

If you can hold your horses for a few more days, the Honda BR-V will be launching soon. Not sure how its going to be but it might just tick the right boxes for you if it turns out to be good car (stamped by our official team-bhp review)

If not, I am more of those flashy types who like to flaunt gadgets and cars , I would take the Brezza ZDi+ with the optional color scheme, so will suggest you the same. If space is something you value more then there is no point in discussing Brezza over S-Cross
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 21:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion:
The S-cross is severely overpriced. Even after the price-cuts and discounts that are being offered, it's overpriced. It is essentially a well-built hatchback with bells and whistles.
I do disagree here. S-Cross in not a hatchback at all. (If you are going by the external appearance, it may look like a hatchback)

It's spacious and comfortable than any Sedan / Pseudo SUV in it's range.

I'm not sure what is the definition of a hatchback which tempts you to say that S-Cross is one.

Also, wondering how people are coming to the conclusion that S-Cross as a product is going to be discontinued.
It's a premium product from Maruti which sells almost 3000 units a month which is much more than the total portfolio sales of many car manufacturers in India.

Last edited by Sree73 : 26th April 2016 at 21:22.
Sree73 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 21:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:

1. Now coming to the fact that he has to buy a car that is not a 1.6 S-cross, he has his list boiled down to the Brezza, S-cross 1.3 and a duster.

2. The S-cross is severely overpriced. Even after the price-cuts and discounts that are being offered, it's overpriced. It is essentially a well-built hatchback with bells and whistles. No matter what goodies you put into that car, it is still a hatchback. And a very bland looking at that.

3. Why should the OP pay for the suits of NEXA salesmen, the rent of the NEXA dealerships and the iPad's which are used instead of brochures?

4. It's an excellent vehicle. Now this is something, whose category which didn't even exist in Indian market before it was introduced. Think of it as a fire-starter!

5. I have a Terrano, which is essentially a Duster with fancy clothing. This car is spacious(cabin and boot, both), has a very amazing engine and has proper european build build quality.

6. I havent done my research, but from my own experience i think that the Duster is probably the safest compact SUV in India under 12lacs exshowroom.

7. It's structurally sound. The ground clearance is great. In India, the place where having own home is common but having good roads is a luxury, it's always better to have 205mm and robustness of the Duster.

8. According to me, having 2 airbags, ABS and a good AC makes for a comfortable and safe car. Duster has it all. It's a tried and tested car. It's a market HIT. It sold in good numbers. It still sells today in decent numbers!

9. Resale is good(Much much better than the S-cross). Maintenance cost is comparable to Marutis. Add to that, it's legendary ride quality, ground clearance, looks, proper dimensions and proportions, big boot AND the discounts. And how can you overlook the fact that it IS a proper SUV. It is a no-match in this segment.

Answers by points

1. True. It is a 90-100bhp battle - Breeza vs Ecosport vs 85ps Duster / Terrano

2. S Cross 1.3 is and was overpriced by 50 k (IMO). IMO the most overpriced vehicles in India are Duster/Terrano 110ps (spartan interiors, rocker seats and absolutely no equipment ) and Creta AT (1.6 s cross was leading, but just got out of the list 2 months back)

3. OP need not pay for nexa suits, neither need he pay for Ranbir Kapoor

4. Firestarter - Yes. I agree

5. Spacious - I agree with the boot part. Cabin - Comparable to the others..( by B+/C class standards only)

To add. Duster has some poor ergonomics for a tall driver. It has a seat that does not support your upper back, cramped rear seats, flat seat squabs, a horrendous steering, a sick gear lever, noisy and strained 85 ps mill.

6. Yes - You have not done research

7. 205mm along with the angles are really good, if you have to go off roading. 180 is good enough (2.5 cm difference - two fingerbreaths). Structurraly, all are cheap european build. (Duster is the cheapest "suv" in the UK)

8. It does sell well. It was a market hit. It wont stay there for long.
For an average person a car is more than 2 airbags, ABS and an AC. It needs comfortable interiors, good ergonomics, good ride and handling, should have a wow factor and many many attributes.

Breeza will be a market hit. S cross will linger on like the Ritz. Duster / Terrano ll end soon (Terrano is already dead).

9. Resale is good . I am not sure. - I would like more some comments on the duster resale value.

The last part is the answer I give to people who call s cross "just a hatch"
See the pic
Thats my tiny, teeny, weeny, tinny hatch parked next to a Gargantuan, mighty, huge "SUV"
Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross-20160402_085131.jpg

Last edited by sandygordon : 26th April 2016 at 22:07.
sandygordon is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 22:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I do disagree here. S-Cross in not a hatchback at all. (If you are going by the external appearance, it may look like a hatchback)

It's spacious and comfortable than any Sedan / Pseudo SUV in it's range.

I'm not sure what is the definition of a hatchback which tempts you to say that S-Cross is one.

Also, wondering how people are coming to the conclusion that S-Cross as a product is going to be discontinued.
It's a premium product from Maruti which sells almost 3000 units a month which is much more than the total portfolio sales of many car manufacturers in India.
+1

Quote:

The S-cross is severely overpriced. Even after the price-cuts and discounts that are being offered, it's overpriced. It is essentially a well-built hatchback with bells and whistles. No matter what goodies you put into that car, it is still a hatchback. And a very bland looking at that. I am all in favor of understated styling when it comes to cars. But the S-cross is outright disproportionate. It's headlights and the overall face is that of a much bigger(and uglier) car. When you see it head-on, it looks like an old-school stretch-limo's front. Add to that the 1.3 is okay-ish powered and is overpriced.

Oh come on!!!

I agree it is not a good looking car. That and the lesser ground clearance is the only thing that it has in negative compared to Brezza. S cross was over priced. Perhaps it still is despite the discounts. But it defenitely a superior product compared to the other cars discussed here if you discount the AWD in duster.

Top end S cross DDIS 200 sells at 90k more than brezza, which is clearly a segment below, be it space, quality or build. I am not even getting into ride and handling.

I believe you have taken a test drive of all the cars here. Brezza is a good car, but I believe S Cross blows it off in all aspects except ground clearance and looks.

If it was up to me and I didn't need an AWD, I would go with S Cross 100 out of 100 times (I had been very vocal against S Cross pricing yet I can see it is a very superior product here).

The space, the build, the ride and the handling places it heads and heals above Brezza despite high price and poor looks. I am not even talking about the DDIS 320 here. Its a no brainer for me if one brings in DDIS 320 into the equation. It is well worth the premium. The engine and the cars ability to take all the power at disposal is commendable. Only fly in the argument is the turbo lag which I frankly feel is only a matter of getting used to.

Duster AWD is still a good bet.
vibbs is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed