Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 20:29   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross

Thanks everyone for pouring in with the responses.

So today ended up being really interesting. Did not get much sleep last night, decided to stay in bed a little longer and then work from home for the day. Around 11AM got a call from the NEXA showroom I had visited earlier. My previous visit was very short. The RM inquired if I had decided on the S-Cross purchase. I said I have not but was hoping to get a long test drive-30-40Km in the 1.6. To my surprise he immediately agreed and offered me a 2:30PM slot. Said he can bring the car to my home but I decided to visit the showroom instead. With that settled I tried to finish some office work frantically by 2:00PM and was hoped I don't get any important calls when I was out. Had an alibi ready- I am out for lunch. Everyone is allowed to have lunch right? I was at the showroom by 2:30PM and 10 minutes later behind the wheel of a 1.6 Alpha, Urban Blue.

The route:
We took the Hosur Rd, drove towards Electronic City. Then on to Nice ring road and drove till Mysore Road and back. I paid the toll charges. This gave us a mix of city driving(Silk board anyone? ), some potholed and rough roads, and excellent stretch of highway on the Nice ring Rd. Just the highway accounted for 50Kms(round trip) of the drive.

The Experience:
While navigating through traffic within the city, I settled down slowly with the turbo lag, gear shifts, seating and steering position(which I adjusted a couple of times). Once settled in, the drive just kept on getting pleasurable as we continued. On the highway I was doing 100-120. I knew it could do more but did not want to push. In reality I may never go beyond 100 with the wife and kid inside. The AC was keeping us cool with the afternoon heat still at it's peak. Seats were terrific. Tried some music- radio, bluetooth. The RM and I got into a conversation about the car, his opinions about other cars from the same segment, exorbitant registration charges of Bangalore RTO. He was a nice guy, not pushy or over the board. I switched over to the rear seat on our way back for a while. The TD lasted for almost 2 hours.

Layman's Observations:
Much has been said about the interiors/looks/features etc. And I concur with everything. So won't be talking about them in detail. These observations are only my personal views about certain important aspects to help me come to a conclusion about the car.
Turbo Lag- Let's address the elephant in the room first. I think I somewhat agree with Dr.Naren about the lag being psychological due to the sudden burst past 1800RPM. Yes the lag is there but it is nothing that cannot be managed with a few downshifts in city conditions. In fact I am at home with this because of regular down shifting habit in my Celerio. At the start of the TD I was paying special attention to how the lag was affecting my drive, how many gear shifts am I making etc. But towards the end of the drive I totally forgot about it and was driving unhindered. The Duster was slightly easier to amble around with lesser shifts. In one situation, right after a toll booth, the road circled around and rose steeply upwards to connect to the highway; I reduced the momentum in 3rd gear(RPM down to 1k), then floored the A paddle. But the RPM needle just didn't move. There were no judders as such, just the turbo waiting for ever to get spooled. I shifted down to second and the engine was alive immediately.

Clutch and Gears- The gears did not feel rubbery. Slotted easily without missing any gear at all. And that's something coming from a Celerio user driving the S-Cross for such a long period. The Clutch was heavy no doubt. I thought it was a little too heavy. Maybe because this was a Test Drive vehicle or maybe I am just too slender. Anyhow the RM assured the clutch is not so heavy in use, so maybe its because it is a TD vehicle.

Steering and Drive Quality- The steering response is great. Just weighed perfectly. At high speed the steering feels a wee bit light and gives less confidence to make those movie stunt like lane changes from behind a slow moving trucks. But nothing alarming. I won't be doing any stunts after all. I tried a 120Kmph to complete stop with hard braking. No kick backs on the pedal, no vibrations. The car confidently came to a stop in a straight line. That actually put a smile on my face because I know what it feels like to use the brakes in my Celerio Vxi. I have already talked at length about the turbo lag. It is there but did not affect me much once I got used to the car. I even did a few low lying speed breakers in the 3rd gear. But I think I have realized a nice driving pattern for the car. When driving in a city like Bangalore, if I stay below the turbo zone and just work around gears 1,2,3; I will have a decent driving experience. Once in a while I might get a bit of empty stretch when I go past 2k RPM, but then I won't be able maintain that for long. Will have to shift down anyways. So amble around(with quick upshifts) below the turbo zone when in city, then blast off on the highways.

Ride and Comfort- As avdhesh15 mentioned- you feel wrapped in a cocoon. That was the exact feeling. Such beautiful seating position in the rear. Phenomenal leg space(I am 6ft). Very comfortable driver's seat. Oh how I miss an arm rest in the middle during BLR-HYD drives. The AC was keeping us cool even though the display said it was running at Lo. On the highway the car was very very stable. Uneven roads were not felt inside at high speeds. Though at slower speeds on potholed roads, the undulations crept inside. But the car never lost composure. Excellent suspension with no loud thuds and clunks when the tires hit potholes. The engine noise is very well suppressed. At higher rpms there is some engine noise but that is nothing more than a nice note. Wind noise is audible but not irksome. The biggest gripe was the wheel noise. It was loud on the highway. Once I switched to the rear seat, it was unbearable. It was like a jet engine's ear splitting whistle sound on an airplane about to land. I thought I will soon hear a voice, the pilot announcing- Cabin crew to their seats, prepare for landing. I mentioned this to the RM and he said the car has done close to 30K Kms. Probably wheel balancing is off. I don't know whether to believe him. But let me know if anyone of you had the same experience.

Moral:
I think I am definitely sold on the 1.6 now. I always knew it was a good car. But it is actually a great car. Barring the turbo lag, which I am confident I can handle, and the wheel noise there is nothing much I took away from the TD as negatives. 90% sure I want this car. 10% hinges on taking a look at the money situation(based on what variant I want) and of course the all important convincing the wife.

For those who have high regard for Duster- I have high regards for it too. I think the only reason I have decided against is because I don't have the money for the AWD. And going for the FWD 110/85 PS with a dated model and interiors for a car that I will keep with me for more than 5 years; does not give me confidence. S-Cross might get lost in oblivion like the Kizashi did, you never know, but at the moment I find it to be a better option.

Let me know what you think about my TD. Thanks again.
jaunthead is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 01:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
Thanks everyone for pouring in with the responses....
Let me know what you think about my TD. Thanks again.
The 1.6 is absolutely brilliant and some how I like the way the S-Cross looks, though under rated. Turbo lag is something, that one can get used to, if one is willing to work with the gears, which shouldn't be a problem with maruti's gear box.

The wheel noise has to do with the harder compound tyres which you get by default as OEMs. You can always swap them to softer ones like the Michelin/Continental. Also, on the concrete roads tires are noisier in general.

I read that you won't be doing higher speeds, then why do you want to spend extra 2 lacs? The 1.3 is not bad at all and you can cruise all day long at 120-130 km/hr on the highway. It's a proven engine and does job in heavier cars as well. I am not dissuading you on 1.6 but just saying that go for the one that suits you, and take your own call.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 29th April 2016 at 02:49. Reason: Please refrain from quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile readers.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 07:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Also, on the concrete roads tires are noisier in general.
I think you are right about this. The stretch where I felt this noise was concrete after all. Even my Celerio howls on this stretch.

Quote:
I read that you won't be doing higher speeds, then why do you want to spend extra 2 lacs? The 1.3 is not bad at all and you can cruise all day long at 120-130 km/hr on the highway. It's a proven engine and does job in heavier cars as well. I am not dissuading you on 1.6 but just saying that go for the one that suits you, and take your own call.
Yep you are right about the 1.3. I am not going to justify the 1.6 for my situation. But I really like the engine, how the car handles and from a long term ownership perspective. Will see how the money situation pans out.
Old 29th April 2016, 08:47   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess its not about the top speed. But how you reach there. While 1.3 litre has adequate performance till 100-130 kmph, 1.6 litre will be exhilarating. Every time you press the Accelerator down, you will be having fun in a way which is simply not possible in the DDIS 200. Not trying to belittle it, but frankly DDIS 320 is in a different league compared to DDIS 200 and one can have a lot of fun with it without doing insane speeds.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 10:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The route:
Silk board anyone?

Quote:

Turbo Lag- Let's address the elephant in the room first. I think I somewhat agree with Dr.Naren about the lag being psychological due to the sudden burst past 1800RPM. Yes the lag is there but it is nothing that cannot be managed with a few downshifts in city conditions.

Even the official review says that. The car is slow under 1800 RPM, but it's not something you can't drive.

Quote:

Moral:
I think I am definitely sold on the 1.6 now. I always knew it was a good car. But it is actually a great car.

It's sad that many people don't realise how well engineered the S-Cross is. Creta is a fine car, but I've heard that S-Cross is way better.

Quote:

For those who have high regard for Duster
No point going for the Duster is you don't want AWD.

The S-Cross handles and rides well.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 12:03   #81
BHPian

From a person driving a Celerio as well as S Cross

DDIS 200 is a very good car. At a time when the 1.6 alpha was priced 3.6 lacs above the 1.3 alpha (16.3 L vs 12.7 L), it made sense for me to stick on to 1.3 alpha or go for the sweetest deal - the 1.3 zeta. (11 lacs - 4 L cheaper than the 1.6 zeta and whopping 5.3 lacs cheaper than the 1.6 alpha)

If you want to save money - Go for the 1.3 Zeta now
If you want to buy the best S cross go for the 1.6 alpha
If budget is limiting you but you are still in a mood to splurge for features, go for the 1.3 alpha.

That said the only times when I feel the my hippo (1.3 alpha) to be under powered are when I am logged on to t bhp forum and when I am dragging a 1.6. The 1.3 for your needs wont disappoint you.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 12:47   #82
BHPian

Only one suggestion... think yourself with family and try to fit a small tricycle or cycle in S-cross ? I am sure Duster can do the same better. With a growing kid extra room is always useful.

I fully agree inside of Duster needs improvement, you have DC design if you are willing to spend in after market. But personally found S-cross similar to my current Dzire in term of space and family rejected the same. I know Ecosport is available from ZoomCars and you take use it for a weekend but Duster is not there :( If you have a friend or someone to loan a TD same for longer duration might help.
Old 29th April 2016, 13:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
If you want to save money - Go for the 1.3 Zeta now
If you want to buy the best S cross go for the 1.6 alpha
If budget is limiting you but you are still in a mood to splurge for features, go for the 1.3 alpha.
These are exactly my thoughts. Thanks. I am going to take a little more time and decide on the money part. But S-Cross it is for me.

Quote:
That said the only times when I feel the my hippo (1.3 alpha) to be under powered are when I am logged on to t bhp forum and when I am dragging a 1.6. The 1.3 for your needs wont disappoint you.
How is the engine noise and what is the RPM reading when you cruise at 100-120 Kmph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsixty1 View Post
Only one suggestion... think yourself with family and try to fit a small tricycle or cycle in S-cross ? I am sure Duster can do the same better. With a growing kid extra room is always useful.
Tricycle I am sure it will fit. Cycle with the 60:40 split, that too should be possible. Existing owners might be able to provide some inputs.

Quote:
I fully agree inside of Duster needs improvement, you have DC design if you are willing to spend in after market. But personally found S-cross similar to my current Dzire in term of space and family rejected the same. I know Ecosport is available from ZoomCars and you take use it for a weekend but Duster is not there :( If you have a friend or someone to loan a TD same for longer duration might help.
I have been inside Dzire when taking Ola or Uber. And yes the space might be similar to S-Cross width wise, but rear seating is totally different in the S-Cross. Being a 6 footer I have never sat in any car(barring the largest of SUVs maybe) so comfortably. Great under thigh support. And due to the high sitting position my knees don't point upwards, but rest on the seat.
As for the Duster, I have already taken a TD of the car and loved the ride quality. But as a complete package I decided to go with the S-Cross.

I had forgotten to add a few things in my TD write-up-
1) The RM mentioned they are offering some cash discounts on 1.6 Delta this month.
2) Maruti is now providing a smoke grey allow wheel for S-Cross. The design hasn't changed. But looked better than the earlier silver colour.

Last edited by jaunthead : 29th April 2016 at 13:41.
jaunthead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 13:31   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DDIS 200 is a very good car. At a time when the 1.6 alpha was priced 3.6 lacs above the 1.3 alpha (16.3 L vs 12.7 L), it made sense for me to stick on to 1.3 alpha or go for the sweetest deal - the 1.3 zeta. (11 lacs - 4 L cheaper than the 1.6 zeta and whopping 5.3 lacs cheaper than the 1.6 alpha)

1. If you want to save money - Go for the 1.3 Zeta now
2. If you want to buy the best S cross go for the 1.6 alpha
3. If budget is limiting you but you are still in a mood to splurge for 4. features, go for the 1.3 alpha.
Sandy if you allow me to add option 4
4. If budget is a constraint and you want Powerrrrrrrr, go for the 1.6 Delta. It has decent amount of features. 4 disc brakes, ABS, Airbags, ICE and DDIS320 is the biggest feature.

I got the Delta 1.6 for 10.2lacs (OTR) with delta kit.
Usually I go for the top end variants but with S cross don't feel I have missed out too much.
kpzen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 13:39   #85
BHPian

Quote:

With due respect to you sir .are you talking about Scross?space in Scross and Dzire same? please explain what made you say this?Duster have lesser rear space compared to Scross .Boot is bigger in Duster but space for passengers is much higher in Scross.
sahiltodankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
With due respect to you sir .are you talking about Scross?space in Scross and Dzire same? please explain what made you say this?Duster have lesser rear space compared to Scross .Boot is bigger in Duster but space for passengers is much higher in Scross.
+1

Cabin space of DZire and S-Cross is not comparable. S-Cross has much more spacious, comfortable and airy cabin than DZire.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:54   #87
BHPian

Wrote what I felt compared with my 2010 Dzire ; hope there is nothing wrong in that it is my personal opinion. All I am suggesting is longer TD with various models and scenarios.

Any way looks like we already have a winner here and that is S-cross
Tsixty1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 09:28   #88
BHPian

I own an S-Cross Delta 1.3 - engine because mostly driver does the duties and variant because it had massive discounts.

Have done 5k in the car. On my highways runs, it easily goes to 120 - space on the road permitting. Well, easily has its definition of each of us but it is definitely not a slow car. On most other counts, it is a fantastic product all-around. Wish Maruti had not done cost cutting at least with the steering wheel and put better equipment on delta.

If budget is a constraint, just go for 1.3 - it will still keep you happy in 90% of driving situations. When I test drove 1.6, it did not seem to have massive lag either. It probably behaves like a 1.3 at lower revvs and then takes off. Not something that will bother me at all.

Vitara's interiors are of lower quality and, except for the looks, it does not hold a candle to S-Cross. I am comfortable with how S-Cross looks. It is 10x better than other MS cars out there. I was choosing between Ciaz and S-Cross - S-cross won hands down on back2back drives.

With 60:40 split, you can carry the cycles etc. with ease. Else there are always racks to carry the big ones.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 30th April 2016 at 09:32.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 11:01   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Have done 5k in the car. On my highways runs, it easily goes to 120 - space on the road permitting. Well, easily has its definition of each of us but it is definitely not a slow car. On most other counts, it is a fantastic product all-around. Wish Maruti had not done cost cutting at least with the steering wheel and put better equipment on delta.

If budget is a constraint, just go for 1.3 - it will still keep you happy in 90% of driving situations. When I test drove 1.6, it did not seem to have massive lag either. It probably behaves like a 1.3 at lower revvs and then takes off. Not something that will bother me at all.
Hey 5kmiles, did you feel the 1.3 does well in terms of pulling power when the car is loaded as compared to the 1.6?
Also what RPMs does the 1.3 do at 120Kmph?
Thanks.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:34   #90
BHPian

Quote:

...The engine noise is very well suppressed. At higher rpms there is some engine noise but that is nothing more than a nice note. Wind noise is audible but not irksome. The biggest gripe was the wheel noise. It was loud on the highway. Once I switched to the rear seat, it was unbearable. It was like a jet engine's ear splitting whistle sound on an airplane about to land. I thought I will soon hear a voice, the pilot announcing- Cabin crew to their seats, prepare for landing. I mentioned this to the RM and he said the car has done close to 30K Kms. Probably wheel balancing is off. I don't know whether to believe him. But let me know if anyone of you had the same experience..............
This may not answer your query but is a parallel observation.

One of the reasons I went off the S Cross completely and happily plumped for the Brezza was noise. Granted that my TD was only for 30 minutes, but I found the NVH levels in the car to be, well substandard. In fact they were at the same level as my Nissan Micra.

I don't mean to imply any disrespect to the S Cross. In fact seeing one idling in a Hyderabad street was what made me first interested in the car- it looked like an understated but powerful, menacing, muscular lizard!

Now, I am not an enthusiast like many people here, just a random joe who barely understands one end of the car from another. But I do have 25 plus years of driving experience around the world and I know precisely what I want from my car.

And feeling that a passer by car's horn is blowing right next to my ear when I'm inside the Scross is not one of them, definitely. If I'm spending that much money I want to feel that I have upgraded - to me NVH is one of the key indicators of an upgrade. And arguments that I could improve NVH levels post purchase by underbody coating, potting stuff inside the door panels etc don't really cut it with me.

But that's me. I can understand that for other folks who may not consider NVH that high in their priority list. The only thing that matters is how you feel about it.
C'estlavie is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks