Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Heart or Mind? Dad says Ertiga, Wife wants EcoSport and I'm crazy about the Thar!

After you have owned a jeep and you have the desire to buy one again, heart will always pick that and no matter what you try it simply won't settle for something else but then I would actually say Thar as a daily drive? It's more of a lifestyle product rather than an everyday commuter.

Ertiga should be out of question, it's simply a mileage oriented MUV for bigger families that's well loaded and is above average to drive. Being an enthusiast I am quite sure you won't be satisfied with the car and moreover as you said most of the time you drive alone with your wife such a big vehicle actually doesn't makes sense! I would say it should actually be striked off from your list.

As everyone said, the Ecosport is the balanced choice out here but again it's a pseudo SUV and will always remain one, It's a hatchback with SUVish stance. That's what I think atleast! Still out of all the vehicles selected, Ecosport makes the most sense. It's well loaded, great to drive, the service back up is pretty decent and has the convenience of an Automatic transmission though as you said lacks the space, truly speaking it's lesser than an i20 plus the black interiors makes things worse.

Now, the closest SUV I can think about which suits your requirements is the Tata Safari Storme. I know its going to cross your budget by a fair margin but it's definitely worth the extra dough spent specially when it meets your requirements! Being a Tata product you don't really get that brand image but then the Safari in itself is a brand. Any SUV enthusiast I have seen loves the Safari to the core, It has that feeling of pride in it and being a member of the Tata Safari's club is also one heck of an experience. Over the years, the manufacturer has tweaked the vehicle a lot making numerous update ironing out a lot of issues it faced initially. Now, listing down some of its positive bits I felt and I hope it helps you out!
  • The Black, grey and Dark brown combination of the interiors looks upmarket and has pretty decent quality.
  • Oodles of space, ergonomics are Spot on and seat quality too is pretty impressive.
  • Tall and slick gearbox with a light clutch!
  • Excellent driveability both in the city and on the highway, Engine is quite refined. (The gear does have a bit of vibration)
  • Top notch ride quality, way better than Thar, Scorpio etc. It simply glides through bumps though does feel a little stiff on sharper ones.
  • Superb braking ability, gets ABS with EBD and 4 disc brakes. The handling too is pretty predictable and changing lanes wouldn't be problem though obviously cars like Ecosport and all are better when compared but then they aren't proper SUVs.
  • Gets all the practical day to day use equipments though nothing pampering but I feel its a no non-sense vehicle. Gets a Harman Kardon ICE with parking sensors, steering mounted audio controls, Projector headlamps, rear A/C Vents, arm rests and the basic safety (Multiple Airbags with ABS and EBD). The UV is quite fun in off-roading too and well you travel quite a bit to the hills.
The only major drawback in the vehicle is Tata's after sales service would be a gamble but then again as you stay in Chandigarh, the service should be quite decent as a lot of Safaris would be used in the hills and quite few also take them off-roading.

If you don't like the Safari too then well I would recommend you Creta. It's a great buy with the combination of petrol and diesel engines. Contemporary modern design, great to drive and gets a lot of equipments too. Your wife would be quite happy with it.

Right now, cannot think of any other vehicle except Duster but then again 85 PS variant will fit in your budget and that doesn't really makes sense.

To sum it up! Go for Safari Storme else get yourself an Ecosport.
YashD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:00   #17
BHPian

Re: Heart or Mind? Dad says Ertiga, Wife wants EcoSport and I'm crazy about the Thar!

well my vote goes for the Thar simply because its ok sometimes to choose heart over your mind and the happiness you will get whenever you will be driving it. This you wont get in Ertiga or Ecosport
anubshar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 02:15   #18
BHPian

Think of any Bollywood film featuring Punjab, the hero always had a cool Thar or Jeep. Now think of any of those scenes with an Ertiga.
Jokes apart, Ertiga is a great car but buy it only if you need the 5+2 seating most of the time. As others have said, you can always hire a proper MUV with comfortable 7 seats if you need them rarely.
Ecosport will just be a lot like your i20, jacked up a little, so why buy that? Also if you give the K10 to your wife, she may not like the interiors as its a step down compared to the i20.
Go with the Thar, current facelift will be even better than the one you had earlier.
OT: Why not the BR-V? It has the SUVish looks (for you & your wife), 5+2 seats (for your father), also you get to choose from petrol, diesel, AT as per your requirements.
Debajyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 10:39   #19

Quote:
You bought an used Thar and sold it sometime back. And now you want to buy a new one. It means you are not thinking straight when it comes to car buying process. You will have kids in the future. Will you be asking the mother and baby to sit in the front seat of Thar? Or the side facing seat at the back? Plan for the future, man!
Sir, I already have two cars in my garage, when it comes to family. Thar would mostly be used as my personal daily drive or weekend adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This .

What are you working for? Go and buy the car you want. If you love the Thar (especially after having owned it), clearly, nothing else will keep that heart of yours happy. If you want a Jeep, buy a Jeep (this coming from an owner of a 20 year old Jeep).
Thanks GTO, that was surely a confidence booster. Even a 1 Crore luxury sports car cannot fulfil the desire of a Jeeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The Ecosport comes across as the perfect balance between the other two vehicles. I'd suggest you to go for it. But then, I do not understand the Jeep thing, yet.

You can also look at the Creta 1.6S petrol. Will cost you around 11.5 lakhs and it does come with ABS and dual airbags now.
Yes, but ecosport was chosen just for the auto transmission. And the Creta auto comes at >14L, which is quiet a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
Having multiple cars already in your garage to take care of the usual needs, I'd also suggest that you go ahead with what your heart desires. And moreover, even your wife has kind of started liking the Thar a bit. Who knows, she might as well be loving it just as much as you do in the near future.

Another option would be to look out for an XUV AWD in the used car space and find a clean example. These are aplenty up north and coming across one would not be that difficult. It's an SUV, has got the looks, has 7 seats and is much bigger than the Ecosport as well as the Ertiga. It will almost please everyone.
I have been down that road forester, but did not found any good XUV AWD. Moreover the main issue is that XUV is not a proper 4x4. Just a soft roader at best. Moreover buying a 7 seater, when 90% of the time the car would be used by my wife and me only is not a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I'd say get a Duster AWD (manual). It's rugged and tough with a superb ride quality and can probably do many himachal runs with all the bells and whistles of a modern car. Engine is quite powerful as well. Downside? Not so premium interiors according to some people. I think it's quite premium and has all the features. Anyway, since you were going for Thar, you probably don't care about any interiors anyway.

One more great thing about Duster is that it's not a nonsense sub-4 m oversized hatchback. It's a proper suv and will suit your needs well.

And everyone will be happy as well. Go for a test drive and find out yourself. Good luck!
Hi Brutailer, that thought has been going through my mind. I have driven 4x2 duster and found its ride quiet good. Would be going for a test drive this weekend. But then again I will have to stretch the budget to 13L, which seems unlikely. And yes you are right, I do not like all the electronics gizmoz. For me it is all about ruggedness, engine and how a car ages. More the electronics in the car, more chances of something going wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
You should have a look at S-Cross 1.6. The Delta is a small stretch from your price point considering Chandigarh taxes, and if available it will satisfy all. It will be a large comfortable car to keep wife and father happy, and you have that wonderful engine to keep you smiling.

Yes, it no Thar. But consider this. If your wife and father are not comfortable in it, whenever you guys have to travel together, it will be the i20 that will be used and not the Thar. So if you are fine with this, the Thar is the way to go amongst these 3.
Problem is that it is yet another grown up hatchback.
Moun10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 10:56   #20

I would like to add some information which was lost in the opening post. As all of you would see I have driven my i20 more than 87K in the last 4 years. That amounts to 1800 kms each month. This is because of numerous chandigarh-manali runs because of my family business.
So would a petrol car suffice?

Additionally I would like to ask some Thar owners who use it as daily drive or go occasionally on long drives, how comfortable is it for driving long distances.
My four month stint in the previous Thar did not allow me to use it on longer routes. Moreover I hear the updated Thar has a better ride, which I also noticed during the test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
but then I would actually say Thar as a daily drive? It's more of a lifestyle product rather than an everyday commuter.
This is my biggest predicament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
Think of any Bollywood film featuring Punjab, the hero always had a cool Thar or Jeep. Now think of any of those scenes with an Ertiga.
Jokes apart, Ertiga is a great car but buy it only if you need the 5+2 seating most of the time. As others have said, you can always hire a proper MUV with comfortable 7 seats if you need them rarely.
Ecosport will just be a lot like your i20, jacked up a little, so why buy that? Also if you give the K10 to your wife, she may not like the interiors as its a step down compared to the i20.
Go with the Thar, current facelift will be even better than the one you had earlier.
OT: Why not the BR-V? It has the SUVish looks (for you & your wife), 5+2 seats (for your father), also you get to choose from petrol, diesel, AT as per your requirements.
I have seen it in flesh, and to me it just looked liked updated mobilio.
Old 24th May 2016, 11:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moun10 View Post

Problem is that it is yet another grown up hatchback.
Do take a test drive of the 1.6 before condemning it to a yet another hatchback status. The engine has been reported as hoot to drive and many, including Team BHP reviews have said how amazing it is to drive, especially with all that torque underneath. Considering your highway driving needs, 1800 kms a month, things fall perfectly in place for S-Cross.

As I said, its no Thar, but its a hoot to drive nonetheless and deserves to be test driven extensively. Quoting below, one of the many such posts about the 1.6 in the S-Cross review thread.

Quote:
Congratulations on the S.Cross 1.6L! You got yourself a jewel of an engine. Wait till the running-in period has completed, take her out on the highway and you'll have a permanent grin plastered on your face . Not only the engine, but even the high speed behaviour is so good (more European than Japanese).
Old 24th May 2016, 11:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Considering your highway driving needs, 1800 kms a month, things fall perfectly in place for S-Cross.
Just to add some more, it is better to wait till Maruti launches SHVS on S Cross. This system will reduce the prices of the car and will make it drivable (legal to drive that is ) even in odd-even rule.

Moun10 -

Isuzu D Max is as good as S Cross 1.6 (if not better) on the highways. Why don't you consider it? You will need to confirm if it can be registered as a private vehicle. Add big 18/19 inchers with custom bumpers and you'll be good to go. It will be better than a Thar as a daily drive.

EDIT - And while we are at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
DMax with 20 inch 10.5J rims with 295/45/20 tyres !
Heart or Mind? Dad says Ertiga, Wife wants EcoSport and I'm crazy about the Thar!-dmax.jpg

Last edited by biggrin : 24th May 2016 at 11:56. Reason: EDIT
Old 24th May 2016, 12:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He does have an i20 for that.
Quote:
Sir, I already have two cars in my garage, when it comes to family. Thar would mostly be used as my personal daily drive or weekend adventures.
I guess the practicality issue of Thar can be solved by installing after-market front facing rear seats too.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:05   #24
BHPian

Listen to the wife, all married men know

Jokes apart Ecosport is the most sensible choice as it has high ground clearance, comfortable to drive, good set of safety features, and the ecoboost engine is fun to drive.

Like fellow Bhpians have said if you have to ferry 6 people then go the rent or the taxi route.

About the Thar, its my desire also to own this someday. Will most probably buy second hand.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Be smart. Buy what the wife wants. Stay happily married.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 16:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
This is my biggest predicament.
An extremely close friend of mine caught up with me for lunch today and he too drives a 2012 i20 1.2 Sportz and he too has bought a Thar! We had quite a long conversation about the vehicle. The reason he ended up buying one is it's sheer styling, the butch look with Big Wheels (he replaced the stock tyres with Maxxis wheels) and Army green shade looks extremely sporty and adds a lot of character to the already smart looking vehicle. Though he says the car has a lot of panel gaps (I don't know that as haven't experienced one) and gets quite noisy with the increase in speed due to the canopy which gets quite irritating on empty stretch of roads.

The one thing he loved the most about Thar is it's interiors, as per him he hasn't seen such interiors in any jeep till date. It has beige and black interiors with brushed aluminium finishing making it look quite upmarket (He doesn't do off-roading so beige interiors works for him). The instrument cluster looks decent and practical but at the same time has a modern appeal to it. Thar gets power steering and is quite light making driving it in day to day condition a breeze though he still doesn't feels like taking it out much due to the heavy pollution levels in our city. The air conditioning as per him is above average, effective upto a certain limit but on extremely hot days it simply failed to keep the cabin cool and the unit has some whining noise present too. Moreover, the seats aren't comfortable enough for long journeys, he is 5'9" and felt under thigh support wasn't enough plus the seatbelt is weird (Still couldn't understand why he said that, how can seatbelts be weird?) The quality of certain plastic parts in the cabin are quite poor, his 12V socket cover, right side window winder and bonnet release lever are already broken though thanks to it's rear space, he ends up using the thar to transfer cargo when his Eeco breaks down. The space is in the back is average though he cannot sit in the back. As per him it's best for kids and teenagers, adults like us will get quite irritated in the back.

Now, coming to the driving bit, Visibility is absolutely pathetic on all sides, canopy ruins the rear visibility, the thick B pillar ruins the side. He has driven a few jeeps and says the brakes are quite good but still they are pathetic if you are driving at a little high speed. As per him I cannot drive a jeep because am used to driving sedans and premium hatchbacks
It offers good driveability in the city though leaves a lot to be desired on open stretch of roads he gets at night (He doesn't feel safe taking it on the highway) other drawback being poor fuel efficiency.

As per him, it's simply a lifestyle product to be used in the weekends. He always wanted to own one hence it bought one. Thar is a chick magnet but then that's it! For day to day commutes, it's simply not the right vehicle. The seats aren't comfortable enough, poor brakes and poor visibility makes it a little difficult driving in the city. Due to the lack of safety features he doesn't even thinks about taking it out on the highways quoting his words "Bhai City main it's fun driving it par paagal hai kya tu! Churi (knife) se maar de tu bhai ko isse accha, Highway on it is not at all safe! Visibility poor hai, acceleration main itna dum nahi, brakes ka toh tu puch hi mat, sunday ghumne ke liye hi hai yeh gaadi aur kuch nahi". He is planning to modify the car further enhancing the visual appeal, for everything else he prefers the i20 more. He has booked a Hyundai Santa Fe now for his inter-state travels and normal high highway runs.

Well! He just like cars and not an avid enthusiast. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the above statements made my friend. It was just his point of view on the vehicle, moreover buddy I am not trying to de-moralize you regarding Thar but as you said you would be driving it on the hills and highway, I just felt it's not safe enough listening to him. Hope it helps you make a clearer decision.

P.S - No offense to any owners and Thar fans, just a penned down a friend's point of view and talked about his ownership experience.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 17:09   #27
BHPian

Mon10, One thing that I am very sure of right now is the sense of longing, and unfulfilled desire that you will feel if you do not buy a Thar. Your posts show very clearly how much you want to be a JEEP'r. Believe me, I was on the same crossroads last year while buying my first vehicle. I had to chose Ecosport, because it was the under 11L vehicle at that time (according to me) and couldn't buy the Thar because of the constant "Doodhwala" nagging from my family members. Also, Thar was way out of my budget, because to make it fit in my 11L limit, I had to forego the very essential butch tyres that tear the road apart, and front facing second row seats along with Innova Pilot Seats upfront. I also felt I needed a removable hardtop from Bimbra Gurgaon and custom Plastic Bumper with Hella Rally Lamps. But then, dreams are dreams and desires are desires.

Right here you might have to balance out the two - Practicality and Desire (That's what I did, Although I do get envious when I see the Thar). The positive advantage that you have is "A slot for your wife's car, to handle all the creature comforts". I would say, stick with your initial plan :

1. You definitely don't need an Ertiga. Your DD needs to handle you, Zoomcar can take care of Family needs.
2. You don't need the Ecosport, S-Cross, Brezza ---- > SUV feel lasts for initial 10 days only. Yes, In terms of practicality and comfort for Long Drives, they are perhaps the best option. I have already done a Delhi to Pune trip on my friend's Ecosport (Diesel) and bought mine after that. Front seats, esp. Driver's posture, view and comfort is phenomenal. (My View, Not all agree on this).
3. Mahindra Thar. It's a Jeep. You'll Live young and You'll Live free.

Wishing you best of Luck for your decision Mate.
BB311 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 17:10   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Moun10 - hello to you. It's very simple!

Buy the vehicle that puts a small smile on your face everytime one passes you, going the other way or it is in front of you in traffic and then you have a small silly smile on your face! Buy the vehicle that gives you an "un-describe-able feeling" (this feeling actually exists, I have experienced it) as you nonchalantly drive into the foyer of a 5-star hotel, open the driver door, hand it over to the valet (if at all, because I don't ) and calmly walk in without looking back, knowing fully well that people are repeatedly looking at your vehicle and then at you. If your hair stands on end as you walk and your legs go a little rubbery, that's the icing on the cake. Will the Ertiga and the Eco-sport give you those small smiles and "that feeling"? If yes, then go ahead and become invisible on the road like thousands of other people, if no, you know what to do!

Thanks for this thread, allowing me to have the last laugh "one more time"!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 17:49   #29
BHPian

Considering opinions of your wife, your father and yours too, I would say - Why not top end Bolero?

you can add butch looking tyres, cluster lights, bull bars, even high mount snorkels and what not. And its a 7 seater (almost ). I find Bolero very aggressive in looks, and its a competent off/softroader too.
Old 24th May 2016, 17:52   #30
KMT
BHPian

Buddy, I use a Thar everyday in Coorg and within coffee estates, 7 days a week. It's a necessity for me. It serves my purpose and I have learnt to live with its niggles.

For city folk I guess it is a lifestyle vehicle.
Before buying it remember that It leaks, rattles, squeaks, drips oil, coolant, shorts bulbs etc etc. It's an old school Mahindra product.

It's positives is that you can drive it at virtually the same speed on any type of road surface and that other road users give you a wide berth.

Please buy it only if you have other cars in your garage. Also, it is preferable if you park it undercover.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed