Honda BRV VX 29 7.40%
Renault Lodgy Stepway 32 8.16%
Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 117 29.85%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2016, 18:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2016 at 13:52.
scarecrow is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th May 2016, 18:57   #32
BHPian

I am surprised to not see Tata Aria in the list, it may not be as popular as other models but still a good vehicle. Moreover due to pathetic sales lot of discounts available, makes it a steal and a unique product to own.

Anyways in absence of that have voted for Mahindra XUV as its good looking and powerful. Rest of the vehicles don't look good enough to me and neither have any unique factors, especially Innova.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 19:32   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am surprised to not see Tata Aria in the list,
OP has clearly mentioned his concern on depreciation and his plan to change the car in 3-4 years.

Aria would be the worst choice in this scenerio (It's a flop and surely will have pathetic resale), and now being the worst time to own one as well (With the imminent discontinuation/ loss of interest in favour of Hexa)!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 19:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
OP has clearly mentioned his concern on depreciation and his plan to change the car in 3-4 years.

Aria would be the worst choice in this scenario (It's a flop and surely will have pathetic resale), and now being the worst time to own one as well (With the imminent discontinuation/ loss of interest in favor of Hexa)!
Very valid points.

I considered all these but point is due to all these factors discounts on this car are quite high. Balance this against resale loss few years down the line along with value of cash in future. E.g. Rs 100 today will not have same value in 2020.

As far as flop point is considered - so are lot of other models in this list. Moreover if we were to do in-depth research into Aria case then it will turn out this car became a flop not because its a bad vehicle but because of questionable decisions taken by Tata Management.

Last edited by heydj : 26th May 2016 at 19:53.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 19:52   #35
Team-BHP Support

A small consolation prize for Honda BR-V diesel

Quote:
Verdict

Our motive for this comparison was to find which one will be a better and practical seven seater option out of Honda BR-V and Toyota Innova Crysta. Priced at around INR 9.9 Lakh for the diesel variant and INR 8.8 Lakh for the petrol variant, BR-V will be more practical as it also delivers a better fuel efficiency of 21.9kmpl for the diesel variant compared to the 15.4kmpl offered by Innova Crysta. We know there is a big difference in pricing of Innova Crysta and the reason for an INR 16 Lakh tag is because of the premium quality and more power it offers. For a normal Indian family, Honda BR-V will be the right choice of seven seater over Innova Crysta.
Honda BR-V Vs Toyota Innova Crysta; Practical 7-seater for Indian roads

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/honda-...an-roads/10658
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 19:53   #36
BHPian

If you have the moolah for the Innova, nothing like it. Do not think that you're getting a base/lower variant. What is important is that the car belongs to a segment above and its built quality, part quality, dimensions, suspension setup, ride quality, NVH and many more intricate things (except feel-good features like Auto AC, chrome handles, for eg.) are also a segment above.

My next suggestion would a Tata Safari Storme. You can have a more complete car at reasonable price. If you go for a BR V or Lodgy and save the rest of the money, provided you have the budget to accomodate a different car/category/class of car, you will have to live with the 'I-should-have-gone-for-that' feeling for the rest of your ownership.

Last edited by biggrin : 26th May 2016 at 19:56. Reason: Typo
biggrin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 20:15   #37
BHPian

Hello autofreak!

I have voted in favor of Mahindra XUV 5OO W8. I think the Innova Crysta is seriously overpriced. And since you would be spending a lot of time in the car and that too along with your family members, the factory fitted bells and whistles are something you can not ignore.

XUV 5OO has got rid of the initial niggles which were so infamous. The W8 version is full of creature comforts, the engine is very much tractable and this beast is a mile muncher. Being a monocoque, the handling is also not that bad like a ladder-on-frame SUV. The sheer road presence XUV 5OO enjoys on Indian highways compared to Innova, Lodgy or BR-V is something you will cherish for sure. Add to it the easy availability of Mahindra service centers and spares.

One more thing, flip the last two rows of seats of SUV and the flat area is good enough for making a bed with mattresses. While you can continue driving at night, your better half can have a nap along with your children at the back.

Have a good pre-ownership experience hopping from showroom to showroom and taking test drives.

Regards

Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 21:12   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
<Lodgy>I am yet to take a test drive. But going by the reviews it ticks all boxes except for styling and it will be either updated or discontinued soon.
This report should mitigate some of your concerns on Renault discontinuing Lodgy.

Quote:
In an effort to lift the shrinking sales of its multi purpose vehicle (MPV) Lodgy, Renault India is pitching it for institutional and fleet sales.

"We have got approvals to sell this vehicle to government organizations. We will also start selling it soon to the fleet owners as well," Sumit Sawhney, Country CEO and Managing Director, Renault India told ETAuto over phone. It has recently launched fleet model of the MPV.

"We expect this number to go up this month in whole sale while retail is expected to be in tune with 1,000 units," he said. Sawhney feels the right sales volume for Lodgy would be about 1,500-2,000 units in coming months.
Source: ETAuto
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 21:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Fellow bhpians please fish me out
Crysta all the way buddy! BRV is not a choice at all for spending 1.5mn bucks! IMO nor is the Lodgy. Rather spend the extra 30% and go for the Crysta. It will surely meet your 4-5 year requirement in terms of build quality. Also, factoring in the 15% depreciation benefit, it might be worth while to keep the car for 6 years - again something which Crysta should last.

As fellow members have pointed out, if at all, you can consider the XUV if there is a constraint. However, it seems like you have already decided and are simply trying to justify your decision via the poll ! Look forward to your ownership review!

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2016 at 13:55. Reason: Typo
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 21:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for XUV 5OO but Tata Hexa deserves a chance.

Strange poll because:

Innova Crysta : Premium MPV
BRV : Compact SUV
Lodgy : MPV
XUV 500 : X-over UV

How can they all be compared even if you consider the price.

Cross shopping across segments.
Old 26th May 2016, 21:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I have voted for XUV 5OO but Tata Hexa deserves a chance.

Strange poll because:

Innova Crysta : Premium MPV
BRV : Compact SUV
Lodgy : MPV
XUV 500 : X-over UV

How can they all be compared even if you consider the price.

Cross shopping across segments.
It's not a shootout poll or comparison.

OP is requesting suggestions for his purchase requirements, for which he mainly needs three row seating.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th May 2016 at 21:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 23:04   #42
BHPian

176mm ground clearance and no AWD in Innova Crysta are the primary reason it does not excite me much.
Have seen two of them on road already. They were demo car going to the dealership.
In terms of looks, better than old Innova for sure , but nothing to boast about. It is just plain simple from side and rear.

I am also considering to buy a 7-seater by Sep. AT, 7-seater, ground clearance and AWD are my must have requirements.
So it is XUV500 for me now. However I wouldn't drop Crysta from my list until I test drive one.

If Hyundai Tucson launches by then and if it meets most of my needs (may not be 7-seater?), I would certainly have one more choice.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 00:13   #43
BHPian

Many have suggested the Innova to you, but are you willing to pay Toyota the 30% premium when you can (IMO) sort the decision with ½ or max ⅔'rd the price ?

Ertiga is my suggestion. It has a good driver seating position & sufficient passenger seating space. You can get the bells & whistles you're looking for, stock.

Moreover, you won't need to fear these enthusiastic NGT bans when you sell the car after 5 years.
Also, IMO Innova Crysta is not going to hold value like it's predecessor did.

Ertiga would hold value pretty well, and even if it didn't, you stand to have more number of buyers willing to immediately buy than a premium car like Crysta. It'd be a relatively more prudent decision IMO.

I wouldn't suggest Hexa because the one with atleast 3 airbags will probably be the mid or top variant. Moreover god alone knows when Tata will finally launch it. And EoD it's the recreation of a 5 year old product that'll probably be discontinued after 5-6 years. Maruti still sells it's Omni !

Other contenders you mentioned are not to my liking for similar reasons you've mentioned (except the Car like driving position of the BR-V, which I don't feel is bad). Whether it's the interiors feel or the build quality, same opinion.

In car buying, alot of things are subjective, so please don't mind the opinion I shared on first instinct & my habit of being a bit conservative. I consider known enemy better than unknown new 'friend'.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 27th May 2016 at 00:21.
WorkingGuru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 00:23   #44
Team-BHP Support

To put things in perspective, bringing in on road Bangalore price into the equation:

- Innova Crysta starts at Rs. 17.5 lacs and ends at Rs. 26.3 lacs
- XUV 500 starts at Rs. 15 Lacs and ends at Rs. 22.3 Lacs

- Renault Lodgy starts at Rs. 10.6 Lacs and ends at Rs. 16 Lacs
- Honda BR-V starts at Rs. 10 Lacs and ends at Rs. 16.3 Lacs

Inference:

1) There is no price overlap between Lodgy/BR-V and Toyota Innova implying that the two cars in a totally different segment altogether. There is no contest as to which is better. If you can afford the asking price, the Innova is for you.

2) There is significant price overlap with XUV 500 and Innova implying that these 2 cars are be rationally compared and pros/cons weighed.

3) Ditto with BR-V against Lodgy.

4) There is a slight price overlap between top end versions of BRV/Lodgy and basic version of XUV 500. If anybody's budget is in price range (15 to 16 Lacs), its better to go with top versions of Lodgy/BRV instead of base XUV 500. That's because there will be a massive mismatch in the feature list
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 01:44   #45
BHPian

Contest between over-valued Toyota versus over-valued Honda

I voted for Toyota Crysta. Meets your requirement to the T. There is still no competitor in Indian market for this people mover.

Curious, why not an Ertiga if B-RV is in contention?
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed