Renault Lodgy Stepway 32 8.16%
Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 117 29.85%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 01:45   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

A question to the OP-

Do you really need this car now? With a toddler and two infants, are you really looking at a lot of travel with everyone on board? In case your plan is to start travel once the infants are a few months old, you could as well save up for the extra few months and purchase the Crysta itself without compromising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
4) There is a slight price overlap between top end versions of BRV/Lodgy and basic version of XUV 500. If anybody's budget is in price range (15 to 16 Lacs), its better to go with top versions of Lodgy/BRV instead of base XUV 500. That's because there will be a massive mismatch in the feature list
It's the other way around.

XUV 5OO W6 variants are loaded beyond the top variants of both these cars, specially the BRV. Features include a 7" touch screen infotainment system, All wheel disc brakes, parking sensors, Cruise control, Auto headlamps and wipers etc. Most of these features can't be added after market as well.

The major feature it looses out compared to BRV is keyless entry. Alloy wheels and leather seats are missed out as well, but easier to add aftermarket as opposed to a new well integrated headunit.

And features arent everything either. With four adults and three kids on board along with their luggage- BRV will need to rely on a 1.5 diesel as against the powerful 2.2 on the XUV. And speaking of kids, XUV offers ISOFIX anchors as well, something which is missed out in the BRV. Based on my limited experience with the BRV, I doubt it can physically take three child seats and then carry four adults in any sort of comfort either as the cabin is narrow compared the XUV. Luggage space is an advantage though in the BRVs favour, but both cars won't offer enough- a roof rack is more of a necessity.

So, I believe XUV 5OO makes much more sense for the given requirements.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2016 at 01:47.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 02:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Many have suggested the Innova to you, but are you willing to pay Toyota the 30% premium when you can (IMO) sort the decision with ½ or max ⅔'rd the price ?
I for one hate the minimum effort required attitude of the Toyota brand in India. That said, you cannot argue the strong case the Innova makes. I am not saying that the product is worth the money. It is definitely over-priced, BUT for 30% extra you get a robust ladder-on-frame construction with refined dynamics, supreme comfort, decent quality with the advent of the Crysta and absolutely trouble free ownership in terms of both reliability and the need to replace parts. The 30% extra that one pays for an Innova is recovered in the long term. That is why the car is so popular amongst everyone be it taxi drivers, politicians, CEOs, businessmen etc.

Quote:
Ertiga is my suggestion. It has a good driver seating position & sufficient passenger seating space. You can get the bells & whistles you're looking for, stock.
If you are comparing against the BR-V, Ertiga is a good contender but considering the BR-V itself may not be the best choice nor is it appealing to the OP, it would be more relevant to compare the Ertiga to the XUV and Innova and in this company the Ertiga simply does not stand a chance in terms of sheer build, comfort, durability and ability to tackle bad roads.

Quote:
Also, IMO Innova Crysta is not going to hold value like it's predecessor did.

Ertiga would hold value pretty well, and even if it didn't, you stand to have more number of buyers willing to immediately buy than a premium car like Crysta. It'd be a relatively more prudent decision IMO.

In car buying, alot of things are subjective, so please don't mind the opinion I shared on first instinct & my habit of being a bit conservative. I consider known enemy better than unknown new 'friend'.
As far as selling the car comes into question, I'm sorry but in my experience in the market and knowing and talking with people in the industry, the Innova is a far more attractive buy to most. Even ads for an Alto and WagonR and Swift combined will not get the same response as one for an Innova regardless of the condition it is in, the spec, the miles it has clocked or the price that is quoted. It is like if one needs to sell an Innova, they just need to say it and buyers will suddenly appear Opinions are all respectable but I believe in basing them on some truth so may I trouble you to justify your opinions?

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest Hexa because the one with atleast 3 airbags will probably be the mid or top variant. Moreover god alone knows when Tata will finally launch it. And EoD it's the recreation of a 5 year old product that'll probably be discontinued after 5-6 years. Maruti still sells it's Omni !
Don't be so sure about the Hexa being bad just because it is based on a slightly older platform. If you want a bespoke all-new car in todays market you will need to pay in crores. Tata has done a good job on the Zest, and Autocar had done a small impression on the Hexa and were singing praise about it. Nexon images look great it is pretty clear that Tata is intent on offering strong well-rounded products from now. Whether they get their A.S.S. act together is yet to be seen.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th May 2016 at 02:42.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 08:43   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

XUV 5OO W6 variants are loaded beyond the top variants of both these cars, specially the BRV.
You are right about the features - Lodgy Stepway/BRV VX diesel Vs XUV 500 W6 is a fair fight! There is no significant difference in price either.

Quote:
Luggage space is an advantage though in the BRVs favour, but both cars won't offer enough- a roof rack is more of a necessity.
I don't think private users will use roof rack. It's a hassle to tie luggage on the roof of a car, not to forget lack of weather protection. Roof box is the right solution - see BHPian's Eritga

Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy-dsc_0798-1024x683.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...unting-16.html

Roof boxes can be bought from Thule, Tropicool and Ajanta
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 08:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Its the Toyota for me, eyes closed. If I can't afford it, The Renault. I'll live with the boring looks and limited equipment. It is still a comfortable MUV and should be as reliable as the Toyota.

The XUV is amazing value but I just can't see myself buy one. The latest iteration is supposed to be much improved but I'll give it a couple of years, run a check of how much of all those toys still work and the number of trips made to the service station.

The BR-V interests me for only one reason. It has the sweetest engine (petrol) of the lot mated to a decent auto box. Off course, you can't ignore the Honda badge which means its never going to fall apart. Little else going for it though.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 10:10   #50
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2016 at 13:58.
akshar890 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th May 2016, 10:14   #51
BHPian

If you have the budget, Innova Crysta should be your first choice. However you should buy VX or above variants. Anything less that VX means you are missing a lot on equipment. Innova gives you terrific reliability and equally good resale value. Everyone knows Toyota products are never value for money and Innova's old or new are no exceptions.

If you are tight on capital investment (budget) and want to keep your working capital low (operating cost per KM) take the path less travelled simply go for Renault Lodgy. There are always some new versions around the corner but the basic character of the vehicle doesn't change.

While I don't want you to limit your choices to these two. But compared to the the other models these two are best people movers available at this point of time.

With Zoom cars launching in new cities may be you can rent out your Lodgy instead of selling it in the future. Who knows with NGT ban of Diesel engines above 2000cc and with inventory of Innova's piling up may be we can see some discounting in cities where there is no ban.

Last edited by NikhilReddy : 27th May 2016 at 10:19.
NikhilReddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 11:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Lodgy keeping budget in mind.

IMO there are two scenarios-

Budget no consideration - Innova Crysta

Budget in consideration - Renault Lodgy

Somehow do not get a good feel about the BRV since it seems to be a confused product neither a full blown SUV not a MPV. In fact saw one in flesh and the rear looks gaudy with those reflectors etc.(no offence just IMO)

However Crysta may be the top of the line pick but it is way too overpriced. Why should any manufacturer bump up the price by over 5 lakhs for a relaunch It would be still a good option if one keeps it for say 10 years plus.

Why Lodgy-
  1. DCi mill a workhorse especially in the 85PS tune which has low turbolag making it a good city and relaxed highway motor.
  2. The 7 seater RXZ would sell around 14 lakhs plus a whopping 10 lakhs lesser than the Innova. The difference is not small change by any means. Even if its sold in less than 5 years, there would be many buyers especially taxi operators who would like up to pick a well maintained vehicle for commercial use at a decent resale price.
  3. The suspension set up is generally well sorted out in all the Renault vehicles and it is no exception in the Lodgy.

Why not Lodgy-
  1. The big negative is the looks especially the rear and in this matter all the MPVs are not great lookers from the back as well. The front is acceptable though.
  2. It only comes with 2 airbags (if this is a big consideration) in most variants but comes with other mandatory ones like ABS, EBD and Break Assist etc.
  3. Any issues related to the servicing and dealer network which could go either ways

However IMO the hits far outweigh the misses which seem not significant considering 2 key parameters cost and replacement within 5 years
girishglg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 12:01   #53
BHPian

Considering the fact that you've been able to keep some high maintenance cars ( Civic & Ecosport) I would vote for the Innova Crysta.

As heard from Toyota owners, the cost of maintenance, durability and reliability of Toyota brand surpasses all other brands.

Also even if you keep the vehicle for 4-5 years, considering the kids grow up and want their own space then it's the 3rd row which is most spacious in case of Innova.

Also considering the fact that you're migrating from a high seating vehicle Ecosport to another so the preference will be for a vehicle with high seating.
BR-V lacks that while the Renault Lodgy will associate you with the commericial vehicle owners.

Innova Crysta (as per sources) will not be offered for the commercial/fleet segment. The older Innova will be offered (1 trim) exclusively for the commercial & fleet.

Good luck on your hunt
FIAT3031 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 13:13   #54
BHPian

Dear All,

I am in similar dilemma for buying a 7 seater Automatic. Currently drive a a 6 year old Scorpio.

Even though Innova Crysta is very good but i dont want to drive a van. Was waiting for BRV to come out but am not finding it exciting enough to buy.

Since Hexa launch date is unknown, that leaves me with XUV W8 AT. Is there any other vehicle that I am missing or need to check? (My budget is 17-18 L).

Am also wondering if it makes sense to buy a diesel in these times, when Technology/Govt. regulations are changing so fast. Will really appreciate your comments.

Thanks & regards,
Old 27th May 2016, 13:52   #55
BHPian

Crysta, all the way! I have no other options or suggestions. Features, price doesn't matter. Experience matters. Mine, and that of people around me. With Innovas, Ertigas and Xylo.

Didn't find any takers for BR-V in my circle. Whoever saw Mobilio and BR-V didnt speak much about those. Mobilio didn't have a chance even against Ertiga, in my friend's opinion. Now the sales numbers show that. Still, from the specs and pics, I thought BR-V does seem to be a little closer to Innova (older gen).

Whatever price you plonk on the Crysta, you will get to enjoy every bit of it, and with a fantastic resale value. Just one concern is on our hopeless and baseless policies that keep changing every other month.
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 14:13   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To the OP: If you do buy the Innova Crysta, please retain it for more than 5 years. The beauty of the Innova is in its durability. Selling an Innova after merely 5 years of usage is like throwing away a Zara shirt after wearing it 4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
176mm ground clearance and no AWD in Innova Crysta are the primary reason it does not excite me much.
Toyota has a ready answer for you, sir - "If you want more ground clearance & 4x4, here's our Fortuner ".

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Contest between over-valued Toyota versus over-valued Honda
What a way of putting it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
With four adults and three kids on board along with their luggage- BRV will need to rely on a 1.5 diesel as against the powerful 2.2 on the XUV.
Remember, the BR-V is also lighter. In the power to weight, the BR-V has a small advantage while in the torque to weight, XUV500 has some more. But it's not so much to swing a decision either way. Importantly, both are lag-free engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Don't be so sure about the Hexa being bad just because it is based on a slightly older platform.
I agree.

Even with the Innova Crysta, while Toyota says it's an all-new platform, I don't think so. It's perhaps a heavily reworked version of the old platform. The wheelbase is the same, the silhouette is the same and even the positioning of the pillars is identical.

Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy-dsc00324.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
that leaves me with XUV W8 AT. Is there any other vehicle that I am missing or need to check?
Pick the XUV500 AWD with your eyes shut. The engine & AT are superbly mated.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 14:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

In your place I would choose the XUV500 AT, Mahindra has hit the jackpot with the 6 speed Aisin AT which is far better than the AT in the Crysta. I have driven a friends XUV AT for about a 1000 km and it does not rob you of driving pleasure like most other AT's, in converse the Toyota's AT which provides absolutely no engine braking does'nt let you feel always in control.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 14:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Dear All,

I am in similar dilemma for buying a 7 seater Automatic. Currently drive a a 6 year old Scorpio.

Even though Innova Crysta is very good but i dont want to drive a van. Was waiting for BRV to come out but am not finding it exciting enough to buy.

Since Hexa launch date is unknown, that leaves me with XUV W8 AT. Is there any other vehicle that I am missing or need to check? (My budget is 17-18 L).

Am also wondering if it makes sense to buy a diesel in these times, when Technology/Govt. regulations are changing so fast. Will really appreciate your comments.

Thanks & regards,
If you could wait till Diwali - then the Crysta Petrol may also get launched. GX Auto maybe in that price range.
Old 27th May 2016, 14:47   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember, the BR-V is also lighter. In the power to weight, the BR-V has a small advantage while in the torque to weight, XUV500 has some more. But it's not so much to swing a decision either way. Importantly, both are lag-free engines.
Does the BR-V have a significant ride & handling advantage (in city, highway & ghats) over the XUV 500? Mahindra XUV 500 is coincidentally 500 kgs heavier than the BR-V.

I'm assuming Mobilio (which you have road tested) and BR-V have similar ride and handling characteristics despite the latter being jacked up by a few mm.

I have driven both BR-V and XUV 500 for short distances - and I personally found the EPS steering feel of BR-V horrible (especially at parking speeds). XUV 500's steering feels much better.
Old 27th May 2016, 14:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 1511131
Pick the XUV500 AWD with your eyes shut. The engine & AT are superbly mated.
Thanks GTO. I go to hills once 2-3 years so do you think AWD is needed?
Another important question is will i be able to sell this after 7-8 years, given newer technology and fast changing Govt. regulations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks