Honda BRV VX 29 7.40%
Renault Lodgy Stepway 32 8.16%
Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 117 29.85%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 15:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Twist of fate, which 7-seater? Innova Crysta vs BR-V vs Lodgy

First of all Congratulations for the twins! It was my dream to have them too but fate didn't support. A dear friend has twin boys if that's anything to go by crazy times ahead for you and the wife! Good luck for that

If you read my signature you'll realise why I voted for the Crysta. That being said I think its the car that can really keep everyone including the driver happy. The last gen kept all passengers happy whereas the driver had to contend with an under powered engine and owner had to contend with poor fuel efficiency. The new one addresses both in one go. What's more I'd really request you to consider the automatic unless you totally despise slush boxes.

I have a family of 5 adults and 2 toddlers (5 and 2) and all of them are pretty happy and content with the purchase. Trust me you can't go wrong with this one. GX is fine IMHO, ZX would be awesome but the price differential is slightly difficult to justify.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To the OP: If you do buy the Innova Crysta, please retain it for more than 5 years. The beauty of the Innova is in its durability. Selling an Innova after merely 5 years of usage is like throwing away a Zara shirt after wearing it 4 times.
I guess I'm one of those idiots who threw away a Zara shirt after one wear! Sold my as good as new August 2014 GX which has done <25,000 kms. I wanted the automatic then and hence jumped at it now.

Quote:
Even with the Innova Crysta, while Toyota says it's an all-new platform, I don't think so. It's perhaps a heavily reworked version of the old platform. The wheelbase is the same, the silhouette is the same and even the positioning of the pillars is identical.
Seems the TeamBHP official review isn't too far away. Such detailed analysis of pillars' positions and pictures that give you an excellent perspective of the car are something we only get to see here. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by miharbe : 27th May 2016 at 15:23.
miharbe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 16:44   #62
BHPian

Voted for Lodgy as it's a VFM car. If you have the money, go for Crysta otherwise Lodgy. BRV is neither here nor there.
Old 27th May 2016, 16:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even with the Innova Crysta, while Toyota says it's an all-new platform, I don't think so. It's perhaps a heavily reworked version of the old platform. The wheelbase is the same, the silhouette is the same and even the positioning of the pillars is identical.
If you see the ladder chassis and axle prop shaft position etc. Not only are both Innovas on the same platform, but so is the Fortuner.
Chassis rolled out from same dies have the suspension mounts welded at different heights, but even the body mount points are the same.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 17:43   #64
BHPian

Voted for the Crysta GX.
You should pick up the Crysta if and only if you want to keep for a longer period of time. Considering your estimated monthly runs of 3000 km/month and if you hold on to it for say 7 years then the Toyota is a no brainer. Reliability, lower maintenance costs and better A.S.S should keep you a happy owner.
Innova's with 300 k kms on the odo are common.

The Lodgy is a good alternative but Renault after sales and resale values should be considered. Not a BR-V please. Thank you.

As GTO pointed out in his post, the XUV (AT) is also a great option. The only grouse being the last row of seats.

Hope I have added to the confusion.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:13   #65

My suggestion would be to go for Crysta. Because of its bullet proof reliability. Buying one would keep you happy for atleast 5-6 years, resale will never be a concern as you will definitely get a handsome value. So spending 21 big ones should not hurt as it will command atleast 12lakhs after 5 years of use.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:59   #66
BHPian

OK, so here's my 2 cents.
As per your requests to seat your whole family in comfort you have just 3 options
1. Innova
2. Lodgy
3. XUV 500

The innova in the GX trim will not keep you satisfied and is not really a VFM car. However considering your high usage and if (ONLY IF) you plan on retaining the car on a long term basis say approx 7+ years then its worth the buy.

I own a lodgy and have driven about 6k+ kilometres in it and I can vouch you will like it. It's a simple, spacious, powerful, fun to drive car both in city and on the highways. You will be satisfied with the space on offer but just dont expect a premium feel(interior) from the car. Moreover the discounts on Lodgy are as high as 2.5 lakh in TN.

The XUV offers everything you need with a very little compromise on 3rd row space. If the folks of your family are of average height then it should not be an issue. Just do not opt for anything below a W8 variant though.

Happy hunting
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

First, congratulations for the good news about the twins
My brother just became a father and his baby boy is six months old. Here's what I can say based on his experience.

First , you are going to need truckloads of boot space to fit in the pram and cradle and the babies' other stuff (toys, clothes, food containers etc) wherever you go, there is no option of not taking it anywhere, its almost like moving his cute little house every time you get out.

You will need a car whose rear bench is wide, so you can change his diapers on the move (Yes, I am serious !). Also, kids after some time don't like cramped environment (my brother's baby hates sitting in my car now)

You will need a car which is comfortable for the kids and the mother as well. Ingress and egress while holding kids can be difficult sometimes in low slung cars with small doors.

You will need a car which is ultra reliable, so even if there is an emergency of any sort (I've seen how babies start throwing tantrums at 3 in the morning), you have the car right there.

You will need a car which is the safest of them all. And do have another small car ready at home if possible when you are away for work.

I think you already know my answer
NiInJa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

I've been driving a Lodgy for close to 25000 kms now and I can say it's been an absolute cracker of a MPV. Your first minus point was the reason I fell in love with the Lodgy - it's cargo van looks.

We always travel as 4+1 kid on long trips and this is where the vehicle shines; it makes little work of long motorway drives and returns decent efficiency figures. And, of course, enough has been said in this forum about the performance of the K9K which is a perfect match for the 6 speeder. That along with the cruise control makes for relaxed drives. The engine's performance with or without AC is pretty much the same. The build is pretty robust and suspension is abuse friendly by MPV standards. Some negatives would be: spartan interiors, last row not ergonomic for adults, negligible turbo lag at low speeds, low ground clearance and service time punctuality albeit the quality of service being good, at least in Chennai.

Based on the poll, would I choose the Lodgy again? Yes I would because there's none there that matches my requirements. Here's my take on why I prefer the Lodgy over others mentioned in the poll:
Innova Crysta - expensive, no 6th gear, styling not to my taste, no MT on 2.8
BR-V - narrow body, mediocre diesel top end performance, no cruise control. Appreciate Honda for giving a 6 speeder, though.
XUV - nil boot space, not a fan of its styling, questionable reliability on electronic gadgety, never aspired to own this brand (personal opinion).

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 28th May 2016 at 14:06.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:29   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Some negatives would be: spartan interiors, last row not ergonomic for adults, negligible turbo lag at low speeds, low ground clearance and service time punctuality albeit the quality of service being good, at least in Chennai.
There is something wrong here. Firstly the turbo lag is not 'negligible' in Lodgy 110BHP and even if you feel so, the point should be classed under Positives.
biggrin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 20:19   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
[b]

What I dislike (Not much)
- Base variant doesn’t make you plonk 18 big ones
- Too big a car for the self driven me

Fellow bhpians please fish me out

Trust me, Crysta does not feel bigger than the old innova, which was car-like to drive.

If you have moolah, it is a no brainer to go with the Toyota. Else XUV holds most value for money. If you want great ride quality, Lodgy fits the bill but looks ugly.

Personally, I think the glorified Mobilio, err,- the BRV does not even deserve to be in the list. No offense to prospective owners.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th May 2016 at 20:23.
Old 28th May 2016, 22:01   #71
BHPian

Thanks guys for the candid feedback and unconceivable perspectives. Its coming out to be either Innova Crysta/XUV 5OO. So went out reluctantly to check XUV 5OO.

I would rather call the overall experience shabby.
- Dealership was really unkempt
- Due to umpteen launches entire floor space were full of vehicles
- First thing was to enter my details on age old ledger and not a glass of water was offered
- Casually dressed-up executive was just following me while I was going around the car. He drew a blank when I asked him for tumbling the middle row
- None uttered a word on product
- No brochure was offered
- No test drive vehicle was available

If this is the state of sales I am really worried about after-sales standards. But the good part was I got a call back for test drive and I had it scheduled.

On the product

On display was W10 variant.
- I am ok with the looks
- It feels more of a personal vehicle in contrast to the VAN feel in Crysta
- Instrument cluster is looking at someone above my head
- Interiors better with black plastics
- Ingress and egress difficult especially third row
- Major grouse is nil boot space with all seats up. Not a practical third row either

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
First , you are going to need truckloads of boot space to fit in the pram and cradle and the babies' other stuff (toys, clothes, food containers etc) wherever you go, there is no option of not taking it anywhere, its almost like moving his cute little house every time you get out.

You will need a car whose rear bench is wide, so you can change his diapers on the move (Yes, I am serious !).
Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
The last gen kept all passengers happy whereas the driver had to contend with an under powered engine and owner had to contend with poor fuel efficiency. The new one addresses both in one go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
I think this time, you would just have to be content with the base variant only! The Crysta is the most likeable candidate here. A complete package with a durable engine, acres of space & solid safety with 3 airbags coming standard. Your monthly running is also quite substantial, for which the Innova already has enough credentials to its name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
A good friend has triplets and he swears that the Innova is the *only* car that suits their unique requirements! I think the Crysta is your best bet here.
Quote:
I'd bring it down to either the XUV500 or Innova Crysta. Can't go wrong with either.
Just wanted to add that ISOFIX child seat mounts, 3 airbags, ABS and reverse parking sensors are standard on the Innova Crysta, even the base variant .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Trust me, Crysta does not feel bigger than the old innova, which was car-like to drive.
All these further tilts me towards Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A question to the OP-

Do you really need this car now? With a toddler and two infants, are you really looking at a lot of travel with everyone on board? In case your plan is to start travel once the infants are a few months old, you could as well save up for the extra few months and purchase the Crysta itself without compromising.
Right bro. Even if I book Crysta GX right away, it would be atleast 2 months to get the car. But even 4 months wouldnt be sufficient to pile up 3.5L & 5L for VX & ZX respectively

Quote:
To the OP: If you do buy the Innova Crysta, please retain it for more than 5 years. The beauty of the Innova is in its durability. Selling an Innova after merely 5 years of usage is like throwing away a Zara shirt after wearing it 4 times.
That gives me an idea. I can plan to use this car to its fullest life and buy a pre-workshiped BMW 3-series in 4 years to satisfy the driver in me. Actually used bimmer would have been my replacement if it were a nuclear family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Considering the fact that you've been able to keep some high maintenance cars ( Civic & Ecosport) I would vote for the Innova Crysta.
Dude. These were never expensive for me (Rs.4,000/service on an average). Atleast till 90,000km
Old 29th May 2016, 10:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
...That said, you cannot argue the strong case the Innova makes.
I know it does. But if there was a willingness to spend less (or, if by any remote chance there's a financial constraint), then I feel 4 adults, 2 kids & 1 toddler can make it in an Ertiga for regular drives.

Quote:
...The 30% extra that one pays for an Innova is recovered in the long term. That is why the car is so popular amongst everyone be it taxi drivers, politicians, CEOs, businessmen etc.
30% compared to MUV's, agreed, quite possibly it is. But spending almost 30% (for Crystal base variant) more than say an Ertiga (Top Variant).

Quote:
to compare the Ertiga to the XUV and Innova and in this company the Ertiga simply does not stand a chance in terms of sheer build, comfort, durability and ability to tackle bad roads.
It may not be as brilliant due to the vehicles' basic dynamics, but Ertiga / it's passengers will definitely not fall apart tackling bad roads.

Doubts? There are members like paragsachania who have used the car extensively & whose ownership report shows that the Ertiga definitely holds well, if used properly.

Quote:
As far as selling the car comes into question, I'm sorry but in my experience in the market and knowing and talking with people in the industry, the Innova is a far more attractive buy to most.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Current Innova, maybe, probably. But that's because the Taxi market thrives on the present Innova (which, although overpriced, was just about viable). But Toyota has definitely aimed the Crysta at private ownership. And that will impact demand for Crysta.

Quote:
Even ads for an Alto and WagonR and Swift combined will not get the same response as one for an Innova regardless of the condition it is in, the spec, the miles it has clocked or the price that is quoted. It is like if one needs to sell an Innova, they just need to say it and buyers will suddenly appear
Was so till now. I'm not sure if it'll be the same in the future. Even if it is, good for you/the owners.

I'm considering Ertiga could have a sufficiently large pool of takers compared to the other contenders that the OP had chosen.

Quote:
Opinions are all respectable but I believe in basing them on some truth so may I trouble you to justify your opinions?
What I felt was a well considered opinion, I said. Hope I'm not mocked further for trying to help.

Quote:
Don't be so sure about the Hexa being bad just because it is based on a slightly older platform.
I have not commented on it's performance! I have said it's a platform of a certain age.

After 5-6 years, if Tata chooses to build a MUV that's a Monocoque, will that not be a step in a different direction ?

Quote:
If you want a bespoke all-new car in todays market you will need to pay in crores. Tata has done a good job on the Zest, and Autocar had done a small impression on the Hexa and were singing praise about it. Nexon images look great it is pretty clear that Tata is intent on offering strong well-rounded products from now. Whether they get their A.S.S. act together is yet to be seen.
Maybe Tata has started making good cars since the past 2 years, I'm not discounting that, never have. Same for Toyota, they made a brilliant, reliable & practical product in the Innova that sold for a decade.

I suggested Ertiga. Was that so very wrong that I'm being rediculed ?

Anyway, hope the OP or anyone assessing their options based in this thread considers all relevant contenders.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 29th May 2016 at 11:19.
Old 29th May 2016, 11:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
What I felt was a well considered opinion, I said. Hope I'm not mocked further for trying to help.
sorry buddy I know sometimes my tone comes off like that I guess my comments are tough to digest and need a bit more chewing before swallowing haha, anyway just interested in a good debate or revelation of info.

Quote:
I know it does. But if there was a willingness to spend less (or, if by any remote chance there's a financial constraint), then I feel 4 adults, 2 kids & 1 toddler can make it in an Ertiga for regular drives.
Yup strictly as a cheaper alternative, I agree the Ertiga stacks up well even in comparison to recent competition like the BR-V, Mobilio etc.

Quote:
30% compared to MUV's, agreed, quite possibly it is. But it's almost 45% (for Crystal base variant) more than say an Ertiga (Top Variant).
It might cost 45% more but is not 45% more overpriced IMO the platform and drivetrain itself is far superior.

Quote:
It may not be as brilliant due to the vehicles' basic dynamics, but Ertiga / it's passengers will definitely not fall apart tackling bad roads.

Doubts? There are members like paragsachania who have used the car extensively & whose ownership report shows that the Ertiga definitely holds well, if used properly.
No doubts here any Jap car with decent GC has a very low chance of breaking but I guess "if used properly" is the key phrase here; the Innova need not be used properly it can be used in any which way you see fit and can take far far more abuse.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Current Innova, maybe, probably. But that's because the Taxi market thrives on the present Innova (which, although overpriced, was just about viable). But Toyota has definitely aimed the Crysta at private ownership. And that will impact demand for Crysta.

Was so till now. I'm not sure if it'll be the same in the future. Even if it is, good for you/the owners.
Interesting point, however the Fortuner which is far more expensive and also more over priced (new Crysta makes the Fortuner even seem utilitarian in comparison) still enjoys strong resale value regardless of the state and even that is not popular in the Taxi segment. One could argue that the Fortuner is an SUV and that has its own appeal but like I said, Innova is popular amongst everyone out there and has carved out its own fan following due to its ride, handling, easy to drive nature, and ability to comfortably take anything on while seating all your buddies/family in it. Oh and I don't own an Innova myself. Too young to want anything more than a manual petrol sedan right now

Quote:
I have not commented on it's performance! I have said it's a platform of a certain age.

After 5-6 years, if Tata chooses to build a MUV that's a Monocoque, will that not be a step in a different direction ?
Actually it is a hydroformed ladder-on-frame-infused-monocoque chassis employed in the Aria. It can still take plenty of abuse.

Quote:
I suggested Ertiga. Was that so very wrong that I'm being rediculed ?
Nope not at all just arguing that it cannot be compared to the likes of the Innova that's all.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I guess I'm one of those idiots who threw away a Zara shirt after one wear! Sold my as good as new August 2014 GX which has done <25,000 kms. I wanted the automatic then and hence jumped at it now.
Severly OT but being a fan of Zara myself for their good designs, I still find that their clothing is not that great in terms of quality. Living a college lifestyle, I find clothing from the likes of Gas, Guess, TH to last longer and take more abuse or maybe it is just me who is not so lucky with his Zara buys

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th May 2016 at 11:43.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 11:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
...It might cost 45% more but is not 45% more overpriced IMO the platform and drivetrain itself is far superior...
Changed my wordings to clarify what I meant.

Quote:
Actually it is a hydroformed ladder-on-frame-infused-monocoque chassis employed in the Aria. It can still take plenty of abuse.
Sure, I guess it's very capable. I don't think we can get into that debate here without going too OT.

Quote:
Not at all just arguing that it can not be compared to the likes of the Innova that's all.
OP considered Lodgy, but raised concerns about discontinuation. Someone suggested Hexa, I felt TATA too might come up with an advanced product after 5-6 years after this.

Anyway, clarified my PoV.
Old 29th May 2016, 12:01   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

I would strongly suggest the Innova if you had to keep the car for more than 5 years.You can only do justice to the 18 big ones and the robust build if you kept it for a longer period.
The BR-V is no doubt a competitive car, but for 16 lakhs, the light build is definitely a letdown.The interiors feel basic and feature list is not that long although it is easier to drive around thanks to its monocoque nature.
The lodge.Now, it is I think the best of both worlds.It is priced lower (not as costly as innova) and is also better built (unlike the BR-V).Only thing going against it is the brand image and poor marketing.
All the best for the car choosing..

Most Viewed