Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 19:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post
Well I can't really say no use, since we'd be doing some farm runs bringing back crates with us. Either way don't think the Hyundai will hold up well after 2L Kms. After seeing the Santa Fe, we aren't too keen on Hyundai SUVs at all. ,Plus my employer is a Korean Company too & there hasn't been a lot of positive reviews for the prev gen as well as the current gen Santa Fe.

I really hadn't considered the Tucson before and the one shown in the global site really looks good.No idea on the price bracket & the amount of equipment that would be carried over though.
I personally don't liked the Santa Fe either, but was wowed by Tucson, when I visited Australia few months back. In Australia, they are also giving a 5 year, Unlimited mileage warranty, and as per ACI the price should be around 17 lakhs for base petrol to 22 lakhs for top end diesel.

Amongst the current choice, if your budget allows it you to relatively easily add Endeavour to your garage go for it, but don't stretch for it either, because there really isn't much wrong with the Innova to begin with.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 14:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But you aren't buying the same model. The new Innova is very different & much improved.
Since you mentioned that your Dad would want an AT, we should compare the Innova 2.8 AT to the Endeavour AT.
Sorry for being unclear earlier, but the AT requirement was for Endy alone since he loved driving the 3.2AT. The car though will be primarily chauffer driven & occasionally myself/dad hence the comparison of AT Endy with MT Innova.

Quote:

End of the day, go with whichever your Dad likes more. He deserves it for all the years of work. In fact, if it's the Endeavour, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the 3.2L variant to him. No point buying a 30+ lakh car that runs out of breath beyond 120 kph.
Just came out of the 2.2L Endy MT & the Innova 2.8 AT TD.

Endeavour 2.2 4X4 MT

We went to the showroom in our innova so that we could ask for a valuation of the same.The decrease in power is immediately noticed when compared to the 3.2AT. As said in the official review, one is ALWAYS aware of the road undulations even though it dismisses potholes without too much drama.Body roll is well contained & definitely lesser than our current Innova. Until about 80 Kmph the car was extremely responsive,but I couldn't push it more than 110Kmph due to traffic but i got a hint that the acceleration might be dropping if the speeds were increased, even though we were in that band of speed only for a couple of seconds.The waiting period for the 2.2 4X2 MT was 6~7 months while the 2.2 MT 4X4 was almost readily available.The MID was hovering around 7 kmpl which wasn't very pleasant either.

Crysta 2.8 AT

I got into the driver's seat and hit the button, the 2.8 Ltr engine came into a much refined idle than our current Innova. I could see everyone in the IRVM getting really comfy in their seats and checking out all the bits & bobs like Ambient Lighting , Tumbling seats Etc. The ride quality has definitely improved over the current Innova and on some stretches we couldn't feel any of the road undulations which highly impressed the family.On the way back to the showroom though,we had to go on a slightly steep curved grade seperator & that brought out what's probably the only weak link in the armour - Body Roll. We took the same curve in our Innova , New Innova & the Endeavour . Endy - 10/10 . Old Innova - 8/10 . New Innova - 6/10.But other than that, it provides for a much better ride than the Endeavour is my initial perception.

The Jetta's DSG has clearly spoilt us and we were just okay with the 6 Spd AT.The manual TD car is coming in this Tuesday & I'll post an update then.The 2.8AT does pull pretty effortlessly and looks like it could take on the 2.2Ltr Endy on straights.

Conclusion - For Now :

Everyone felt that the Endeavour was to be had in the 3.2 AT avatar or else we'd be better off with the Crysta.

Since most of the mileage would be covered on the highways, my question is would the 2.8 Innova AT be more fuel efficient since it has an additional gear even though it packs a bigger engine than the 2.4 MT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I personally don't liked the Santa Fe either, but was wowed by Tucson, when I visited Australia few months back. In Australia, they are also giving a 5 year, Unlimited mileage warranty, and as per ACI the price should be around 17 lakhs for base petrol to 22 lakhs for top end diesel.

Amongst the current choice, if your budget allows it you to relatively easily add Endeavour to your garage go for it, but don't stretch for it either, because there really isn't much wrong with the Innova to begin with.
It's a big question mark if they'd carry over all those to India. Mostly we wound't be stretching to the 3.2 AT I believe after the recent TDs.

Last edited by icyspikey : 29th May 2016 at 14:48.
icyspikey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 00:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the 3.2 litre only if you want to do highway runs as the 2.2 has lacklustre performance out on the open road for the 30 big ones you pay for the endeavour.
The innova seems to be a better choice when it comes to power.Toyota also claims that the manual has now been tweaked with respect to gear ratios so that the car gives good FE figures on the highways too (the old innova has a very short 5th gear).I suggest you check out the manual of the innova as the gear ratios seem to be the only concern or go for the auto if you do not have budget constraints.
Regards,
Vishy76
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 13:38   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for being unclear earlier, but the AT requirement was for Endy alone since he loved driving the 3.2AT.
Even for a chauffeur-driven car, I'd recommend an AT as it leads to a smoother drive. I have yet to see a driver who uses the clutch / changes gears with absolute precision. Plus, when your Dad drives, he'll enjoy the AT too and the AT does have those sweet brown & black interiors.

Quote:
Since most of the mileage would be covered on the highways, my question is would the 2.8 Innova AT be more fuel efficient since it has an additional gear even though it packs a bigger engine than the 2.4 MT?
Don't think it'll be a deal maker or breaker. IIRC, the Innova MT does a 100 kph at 2250 rpm and the AT at under 2,000. Both should offer acceptable FE on the highway, especially in ECO mode (which is quick enough to start with, not sluggish at all).

In the city though, the MT should be noticeably more efficient with a good driver behind the wheel.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 14:44   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for being unclear earlier, but the AT requirement was for Endy alone since he loved driving the 3.2AT. The car though will be primarily chauffer driven & occasionally myself/dad hence the comparison of AT Endy with MT Innova.
Look no further than Innova if it's to be chauffeured. Endeavour's rear seat quality is nothing great and you feel bumps .

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th May 2016 at 14:46.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 23:07   #21
BHPian

I would say the Ford but if you look at the past history...no Ford ever had a good resale value or reliability like a Toyota does. So since you have mentioned that your innova biggest advantage was its peace of mind ownership....I'm doubtful the Ford can come up any close to that level.
Saw the automatic Innova...damn those interiors can make you forget about the looks!
Old 31st May 2016, 00:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Unless you need the off roading capability of the Endeavour, it is hard for me to argue against the Innova. It is cheaper, offers way more peace of mind, is easier to service (I own a Fiesta in Bangalore and know the pain of using Ford dealers), will offer better mileage and is one of the most comfortable vehicles this side of the E/S class and it's equivalents in Germany/Japan. Also, the Innova is easier to drive, especially in a city.
Look forward to the decision you make
Old 18th June 2016, 17:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Even for a chauffeur-driven car, I'd recommend an AT as it leads to a smoother drive. I have yet to see a driver who uses the clutch / changes gears with absolute precision. Plus, when your Dad drives, he'll enjoy the AT too and the AT does have those sweet brown & black interiors.
In the city though, the MT should be noticeably more efficient with a good driver behind the wheel.
The Jetta DSG has really really spoilt the man who used to swear by MTs. Since we decided to use the Innova a bit in the city too we went for the ZX MT.The only mild regret is the brown & black interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Look forward to the decision you make
Decision Made ! Got delivery immediately since someone was delaying to pick up the car due to some auspicious reason & we had a 6 year old relationship with Harsha Toyota! Just Perfect !

Letting the pictures speak for themselves.

The Parting Shot :

Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour-img20160618wa0000.jpg

Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour-img20160618wa0002.jpg

Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour-img20160618wa0003.jpg

Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour-img20160618wa0004.jpg

Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour-img20160618wa0005.jpg
icyspikey is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 20:06   #24
BHPian

I am in similar dilemma. I am looking forward to buy a larger vehicle compared to my Skoda Laura 2.0L. I looked at Innova Crysta, Fortuner, Santa Fe, Audi Q3 and Endeavour. Even though for looks I like Santa Fe and Endeavour and Q3, for a practical, smooth ride for my family with headache free maintenance I am still partial to Innova. Endeavour and Fortuner - I have no serious off-road needs and too huge vehicles which need a handle to get into. Right now Santa Fe and Innova are ticking all my boxes and I am happy with Innova's AT gearbox. Im waiting for Endeavour's test drive but I already sort of know i am not going for it.
Old 5th August 2016, 20:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think between the Santa Fe and the Innova, the Innova should be your choice as the Santa Fe will have negligible resale value compared to the Innova which will fetch atleast 50% value even after 5 years. (Thanks to the brand and pricing strategy of Innova)
Old 5th August 2016, 22:02   #26
BHPian

I test drove Innova Crysta, Santa Fe and Q3 Audi. Awaiting test drive of Endeavour. Audi Q3 was seriously overpriced for the features it has (this was the only one lacking armrest at second row, seriously !!). So it was the first to go out of consideration. Santa Fe had gorgeous looks, equipment was fine. Ride quality was fine. But looked dark inside and less airy compared to Innova Crysta. Its tougher to get to third row seats. I didn't have real roading needs to consider Fortuner or Endeavour. Still I looked at Endeavour. Vehicle looks intimidatingly big to me. I can't think of it as a family vehicle if family includes elderly with knee pains as one really has to climb to get into Endeavour with the help of those handles. I agree with the fact that its more of a drivers vehicle. But since I don't drive very aggressively or have no real off roading needs, for everything else Innova Crysta is the vehicle for me
Old 16th December 2016, 21:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

What are the Handling and Logistics charges? Were these not declared illegal by the Supreme Court of India?
Old 9th May 2017, 19:59   #28
BHPian

The 40,000 Kms Update : (Yes, In less than a year )

As expected there isn't too much to update since it was just business as usual with the Toyota. The car has sort of become a limited edition with the 17" alloys I guess.

Incident #1
The OE mats slipped up and blocked the clutch sensor preventing the vehicle to be started with the Start/Stop button. I did feel quite stupid after the drama of carefully driving to the ASS without stalling only to find this is the root cause. Later my S.A informed me that they had received alot of similar complaints and they had simply resolved it over the phone.

Incident #2
A rat bite on the fuel return hose (IIRC) caused the entire fuel tank assembly to be replaced since everything was molded together and not fastened like the old Innova. This issue has been escalated to Toyota and I will post an update here if Toyota decides to do an EO Change on future models. Owners beware - It's an expensive replacement . Luckily I had mine covered by insurance.

A Fender Bender:

Times when you thank your zero-dep insurance yet again!!

Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour-img_20161215_140743.jpg

Query

As the car munched down miles, the soft suspension setup in comparison with the old Innova became really noticeable.It's probably amplified by the fact that I am carrying in more speeds on turns and the average cruising speed has increased by at-least ~40 kmph.

At this point I am left with two options to remedy the issue:

A) Go with Rogerab which costs close to 6k for the car.

B) Go with basic aftermarket struts (Bilstein/KW) - Only gripe is if this will make the ride too harsh and invalidate the whole point of buying an Innova.

Is there any other solution ? Any advice on my solutions ?
icyspikey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 21:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Incident #2
A rat bite on the fuel return hose (IIRC) caused the entire fuel tank assembly to be replaced since everything was molded together and not fastened like the old Innova. This issue has been escalated to Toyota and I will post an update here if Toyota decides to do an EO Change on future models. Owners beware - It's an expensive replacement . Luckily I had mine covered by insurance.
Oh... I didn't know insurance covers such damages. Did they attempt to deny the claim? Some additional details would be appreciated.
Old 16th May 2017, 16:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Oh... I didn't know insurance covers such damages. Did they attempt to deny the claim? Some additional details would be appreciated.
Honestly neither did we. It was a shot in the dark. According to my S.A they just smoothly accepted the claim. Maybe because we took the dealer insurance, the dealer knows the surveyor and we are a long-term customer with them? (We bought our old Innova from them and sold it to them in exchange for the Crysta.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks